PDA

View Full Version : converting US driver's license to russian

root
22-10-2007, 05:31
I am moving to russia, and would like to figure out some details about obtaining a russian driver's license.

I currently have a US license, never had a russian license. My citizenship is russian. I understand US citizens can use their license for up to 6 months, and after that time only have to take the theory part of the test, if their license is unexpired.

Would the same rules apply to me, or do I have to start from scratch ?

Thanks, AB

Proper Bostonian
22-10-2007, 10:30
My husband is also Russian and has a U.S. driver's license and an international license (easily obtained through any AAA in the States). He was told by GAI that because he has a Russian passport he must get a Russian driver's license. He does not need to take the road test part of the test, but must take the theory part of the exam. (So far he's failed it twice!)

As an American citizen, he was told I do not need to get a Russian driver's license. I carry both my international license and a notarized copy of my U.S. license with me. No problems...

elis
23-10-2007, 06:39
My husband is also Russian and has a U.S. driver's license and an international license (easily obtained through any AAA in the States). He was told by GAI that because he has a Russian passport he must get a Russian driver's license. He does not need to take the road test part of the test, but must take the theory part of the exam. (So far he's failed it twice!)

As an American citizen, he was told I do not need to get a Russian driver's license. I carry both my international license and a notarized copy of my U.S. license with me. No problems...

But he can drive and so can you . . . :eh:
Go figure!
Does this make you the designated driver?

Clean32
23-10-2007, 10:50

Corrrect, a RF citz has to have RF docs, same is for a dual citz all RF docs. this is not just for driving its for every thing.