PDA

View Full Version : Metro installs ticket machines inside the entrance turnstiles

annasophia
06-08-2012, 13:02
I would have expected better from the Russians as their public transit is really very good. This gaff is on the American level of transit agency bone-headed-ness:

Metro installs ticket machines inside the entrance turnstiles
Nathan Toohey at 31/07/2012

The Moscow metro's efforts to install automatic ticket-vending machines have lead to some strange results. At Filevsky Park station, the machines have been placed on the far side of the entrance turnstiles - so only passengers who already have tickets can reach the vending machines.

The metro authorities said that a lack of space in the entrance area led to the unusual decision to place them on the other side of the turnstiles.

"When leaving the station, passengers know that tomorrow they will use the metro again. They can buy tickets in advance. It was decided to do it this way, rather than not install them at all," Moskovsky Komsomolets quoted the deputy head of the metro's press service as saying on Tuesday. The metro is planning to install some 1,500 ticket vending machines this year.

http://themoscownews.com/local/20120731/190020675.html

Jas
06-08-2012, 13:11
I hate the metro cos people are always pushing when you're fiddling to do the ticket, like press it to the scanner and it gives this twinky little electronic melody. I can't do it. I always fumble and get into a mess, also carrying me bag from the airport cos this is when I'm trying to get from Sheremetovo to Kazansky station. My first hurdle is the metro.
I just give up and now when I arrive I take a taxi to Kazansky 3300 roubles, or fly direct to Kazan from Istanbul.

martpark
06-08-2012, 13:19
They are very advanced machines. You can buy one and two trip tickets there.

OzPara
06-08-2012, 13:43
I hate the metro cos people are always pushing when you're fiddling to do the ticket, like press it to the scanner and it gives this twinky little electronic melody. I can't do it. I always fumble and get into a mess, ...

:eh:

Never had a problem with ppl pushing/shoving me at the metro; I think it is part mindset ( :plane: :10293: :devilish: ) and part organisation. I keep my metro card in my ID wallet and so it is a simple press of the wallet against the reader and I'm on my way. Most impressively. I have seen women who have obviously pkaced their metro card in a strategic place within their handbag - they just press it against the reader while keeping it firmly tucked under their arm and away they go. Those cards will read through a couple of millimeters of material (leather) so you could secrete one in all sorts of places (I'm thinking pockets - depending on how tall you are).

I think that if you want to live in Moscow (or other parts of RU that are similarly populated you need to get over the whole push/shove thing... Unless the sun fails to rise one day, and then you will be just fine! :evilgrin:

DavidB
06-08-2012, 13:48
Photo of the situation:

Logic would have told them to move the turnstiles first and then install the machines. :D

OzPara
06-08-2012, 13:59
Photo of the situation:

Logic would have told them to move the turnstiles first and then install the machines. :D

(good) Logic doesn't seem to have any place in the public transport systems of the world.

Benedikt
06-08-2012, 14:49
They are very advanced machines. You can buy one and two trip tickets there.

the machines at present are programmed to spit out 1 and 2 ride tickets. But i was told that in future they will be programmed that one can buy any ticket in any configuration like at the ticket office. apparently there are new ticket variation in the making, 24 h for all transport, and the like. so lets see what the future brings.

Nobbynumbnuts
06-08-2012, 15:03
Photo of the situation:

There might be safety issues with moving the turnstiles. The Metro gets very busy.

martpark
06-08-2012, 15:10
It was probably put inside to avoid vandalism. Those doors are right on the street, so anyone could come and mess them up. I guess they don't trust the cctv either.

FatAndy
06-08-2012, 15:25
a lack of space in the entrance area led to the unusual decision to place them on the other side of the turnstiles.
Well, I'd do the same in the same situation. Not every station has enough space.
In dark and terrible USSR times there were 5 kop coins as entrance tokens, and 3-6 exchange machines (for 10, 15 and 20 kop coins) per every entrance. But they were 3-4 times smaller than current ticketing ones, and were hanging on walls.

martpark
They are very advanced machines. You can buy one and two trip tickets there. - it is only for initial period, as it was discussed. Later they plan to introduce 5, 10 and 20 trips tickets supply from them.

Nobbynumbnuts
06-08-2012, 15:30
It was probably put inside to avoid vandalism. Those doors are right on the street, so anyone could come and mess them up. I guess they don't trust the cctv either.

Could well be. The cost and disruption of moving all the turnstiles to accommodate the ticket machines will have been an issue as well. Not worth moving most of those turnstiles anyway. Most need replacing.
I don't think they put them inside because they're stupid..........................but i can't rule it out completely! ;)

FatAndy
06-08-2012, 15:38
Logic is a good thing, but "economics of the question" (экономика вопроса) is, that you need, for example, 1500 rub for the installation of the machine unit (carrying, placing/putting, securing with bolts/nuts/drilling) and supplying AC (cabling + outlets) to them.

For turnstyles moving it will be much more, because you'll need feeding and signalling cable reorganisation (every turnstyle needs AC and reader in it is connected to the local server to collect tickets data - by Ethernet or Fieldbus/RS-422/485) and maybe extension - it is much more costly procedure - I'd take 5-10K per unit ;).

iancarisi
14-08-2012, 22:37
Agreed, guess some people just are not cut out for city life.

iancarisi
14-08-2012, 22:38
24 hours? Really? That would be awesome :)