PDA

View Full Version : In a broken and battered world- THIS-is your last hope

Jas
02-08-2012, 14:04
Every age gets sent a guide, a teacher, a bringer of light. Now how wud that work in our time?
I believe he has been and gone and left us with a beautiful vision of hope and unity. It's not going to be someone in a desert, but someone who can speak to us....... through TV, film, like that.
See, in school, they taught us patriotism, rammed religion down our throats, and forgot to teach us the values of humanism. I discovered it all on me own- through this, see below.
What we have here is a comprehensive vision of humanity- inlcuding its final mission, which I believe is to spread across the stars.
In this revelation, there is no place for racism, caste, class hatred, sectarianism, sexism.... nothing, just the pure spiritual unity of our species.
This is the path of light and progress that leads to human dignity, that replaces barbarism and superstition with knowledge and tolerance, this is the path that will lead us to the heavens in unity and ensure that humanity triumphs.
Maybe you got ure own crews, sects, religions. But this is my crew.

Star Trek XI - 2009 (FanMade-PreTeaser) - YouTube

Swordfish90293
02-08-2012, 14:30
Truth can be had, non-human, from outer space...

Barbarella (1968) Trailer - YouTube

Jas
02-08-2012, 22:05
This question has already been answered: Kirk and Spock found God at the end of the universe and realized it was merely a telepathic being with its own agenda: to steal the USS Enterprise. When Kirk asked what God might need with a starship, the creature tried to kill him.
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: 1989

This is clearly a warning to us noting our very nature, which is to question question question.

In fact there's no aspect of life Star Trek doesn't answer. It's a complete code for living explained thru stories and tales. People made a religion out of L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology). It's a false religion.
Star Trek = Truth.
Trek= path, way, and in another age it wud have been called "The Path of Star Wisdom." It's the highest expression of our moral and civilizational beliefs.

robertmf
02-08-2012, 22:25
This question has already been answered: Kirk and Spock found God at the end of the universe and realized it was merely a telepathic being with its own agenda: to steal the USS Enterprise. When Kirk asked what God might need with a starship, the creature tried to kill him.
Star Trek V: The Final Frontier: 1989

This is clearly a warning to us noting our very nature, which is to question question question.

In fact there's no aspect of life Star Trek doesn't answer. It's a complete code for living explained thru stories and tales. People made a religion out of L. Ron Hubbard (Scientology). It's a false religion.
Star Trek = Truth.
Trek= path, way, and in another age it wud have been called "The Path of Star Wisdom." It's the highest expression of our moral and civilizational beliefs.

Let's stay in the saddle here; after all, Star Trek was a scripted tv show.

Ah! You like "Kirk" ...umm... did you ever see the Twilight Zone episode "Nightmare At 20,000 feet" S4E3 1963 :question:

Jas
02-08-2012, 22:30
Yes, it's a scripted TV show.... Didn't Jesus teach through parables?
I don't think I'm mad, sad, or deluded. STAR TREK is a moral breakthrough in human thinking. Think logically, why speak to the masses from a remote hilltop when u can do it from Hollywood?
It's a revelation tailor made for our time. However, I do think it is limited to:

a) The original series
b) The movies
c) The Next Generation seasons

There's no need to include the rest.

robertmf
02-08-2012, 22:34
I don't think I'm mad, sad, or deluded. STAR TREK is a moral breakthrough in human thinking. Think logically, why speak to the masses from a remote hilltop when u can do it from Hollywood?
It's a revelation tailor made for our time. However, I do think it is limited to:

a) The original series
b) The movies

You left out d) Seven Of Nine :(

Jas
02-08-2012, 23:41
There has to be a canon, a central focal point, like when Caliph Umar codified the Holy Qu'ran.
No need to go beyond the 3 things I mentioned above, it wud just dilute everything and weaken the teachings.
Gene Rodenberry= The Supreme Teacher

Ghostly Presence
02-08-2012, 23:59

a) The original series
b) The movies

Now, wait a minute! Here is another instance when God spoke to a man via TV:

Homer Simpson meets God - YouTube

RichardB
03-08-2012, 00:37

a) The original series
b) The movies

I think you need to switch off your television more often Jas

peppermintpaddy
03-08-2012, 00:39
For most people, religion is nothing more than a substitute for a malfunctioning brain. If people need religion, ignore them and maybe they will ignore you, and you can go on with your life. It wasn't until I was beginning to do Star Trek that the subject of religion arose. What brought it up was that people were saying that I would have a chaplain on board the Enterprise. I replied, "No, we don't.”
― Gene Roddenberry

We must question the story logic of having an all-knowing, all-powerful God, who creates faulty humans, and then blames them for his own mistakes.”
― Gene Roddenberry

Jas
03-08-2012, 00:50
See, why does no Muslim country produce sci fi?
Telling me to turn off the tv is like saying to someone who was stumbling in pain locked in a dark room- but who then finds the light switch- to turn it off again.
Actually, what I am trying to do is spread what I learned, not switch off.

I once wrote a story about this very point and I got shortlisted for a prize. It went like this:

After a nuclear war civilization is destroyed and in the chaos, only savagery and the iron fist rule. I find myself struggling to lead hundreds of children across the wastes to a supposedly safe refuge where the bombs haven't destroyed normal life. However, the kids are running wild and starting to turn feral. At first, I don't know what to do. But one night around our camp fire under the stars I begin to distract the kids from fighting by retelling old STAR TREK episodes. This becomes a nightly ritual after our long daily march across the baking desert and the children's behavior starts to improve: they work as a team, care for each other, and develop a sense of purpose. By the time I realize it's the STAR TREK stories that have achieved this, a caste of kids are memorizing the episodes and teaching each other, the STAR TREK stories progressing from tales, to morality plays, to a religion. Our trek ends with the bitter realization there is no refuge, except for the one we've got, and with STAR TREK oral tales codified like the Holy Qu'ran or Bible, we build our own city called "Enterprise-" and its leader is the Kirk. The last scene of the story is set thousands of years later, the descendants of those first child survivors have spread to the stars, now living in peace and prosperity- they gather around a statue of the Pakistani girl who first brought the revelation.
It's like that guys.....

Jas
03-08-2012, 00:54
PP, hi, you're right. This is why no where in all what I wrote did I mention a deity of any kind. Gene Rodenberry told no. It's totally accurate what ure telling PP.

peppermintpaddy
03-08-2012, 01:32
See, why does no Muslim country produce sci fi?

Maybe because Islam dwells in the past?

Teach
04-08-2012, 02:48
To me Star Trek is a preachy show with ridiculous people with lots of bumps on their head. If you don't have a liberal arts education, you might think that the plots are wildly original. If you've read the "big" books of western civilisation, you realise that Star Trek shows simply rip off the plots of various famous works of ancient and modern philosophy, myths, plays and so on. It's fun but hardly original.