PDA

View Full Version : What is an exit stamp and is it necessary?

John123
29-07-2012, 06:49
Hi,

I am new to this forum and have a very specific problem.

My son married a Russian citizen one year ago. He is visiting her now in Chapaevsk. They are attempting to live in Canada together and have applied for a permanent resident visa for her to live in Canada based on the fact that she is now married to a Canadian citizen. The Canadian embassy in Moscow just gave my son's wife very short notice to enter Canada as a sponsored spouse. If she does not enter Canada by August 11, she will have to get new police checks, another medical exam and possibly an interview in Moscow as well. More waiting and worrying. Not very nice, but that is how the government operates. So my son and his wife are very keen to leave on time.

I'm trying to help them to find out whether she needs an "exit stamp" to leave Russia. If so, how can she obtain one, quickly? What are the consequences if she can't get it in time for her flight to Canaada? Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thank you,

John

Leda
29-07-2012, 10:05
There is nothing like an "exit stamp" for russians. It applies to holders of uzbek passports only. I believe those can be stopped when exiting russia and sent back to uzbekistan if the stamp happens to be expired.

FatAndy
29-07-2012, 11:43
I'm trying to help them to find out whether she needs an "exit stamp" to leave Russia. If so, how can she obtain one, quickly? What are the consequences if she can't get it in time for her flight to Canaada? Any help would be very much appreciated.
Exit stamp is just rectangular border control stamp in her international passport, showing she has crossed RF border for OUT direction (for example, in airport or railway border stop). When she arrives back, she will receive IN direction border control stamp. There is no need to "obtain" it - it is done in airport after check-in or in train. But please be sure she has Canadian visa in her passport, because air company checks it and won't issue boarding pass without it (if the flight is direct).

Leda
29-07-2012, 11:52
I meant the stamp uzbeks and, untill few years ago belarusians, had to obtain in their countries that would allow them to travel abroad.

John123
29-07-2012, 15:10
Leda, Thank you very much for answering my question. I think your answer is spot on. She was born in Uzbekistan but her family later moved to Russia, and I am pretty sure she is now a Russian citizen because she has a Russian passport. So my guess is that she will not be sent back to Uzbekistan when she tries to fly from Moscow to Toronto, Canada. The fact that she had lived in Uzbekistan meant that she had to get a police check from that country, which was more difficult than getting the Russian police check. John

Swordfish90293
29-07-2012, 18:54
If your daughter-in-law is Russian, she should have a "Foreign" Russian passport in addition to a regular "Domestic" Russian passport. This would allow her to have the required Canadian or other country's visa placed in it.

The "Exit Stamp" is a matter of course when leaving RUssia or any other country.

John123
29-07-2012, 20:43
Thanks for your informations FatAndy and Swordfish. I read on Wikipedia that exit stamps of the type described by FatAndy are not done in Canada and the US.

FatAndy
29-07-2012, 22:48
Thanks for your informations FatAndy and Swordfish. I read on Wikipedia that exit stamps of the type described by FatAndy are not done in Canada and the US.
Yes, and, as I see from my old passports, UK also has no exit stamps.
Germany, Netherlands, Spain, Sweden, Greece, Czechia, Chinas (mainland, HK, Taiwan), Israel, Turkey, Tunisia, Nepal do both IN and OUT stamps.
French visas have IN/OUT or only IN stamps, and I see my single entrance to Italy has only IN stamp.
Of ex-USSR I had both stamps in Ukraine, probably Kazakhstan does the same (I went there with my internal passport, as same as to Belorussia).