PDA

View Full Version : Trying to open an English school

GaNozri
18-10-2007, 13:17
Hi all!

I am seriously considering starting up a new language school in the Moscow region (closest podmoskovie). I scanned the 10,001 schools in Moscow that come up on Google, but found only one - Languagelink, that advertises franchising services.

Please give me some advice as to which schools are the better ones and are open to a franchising scheme.

Perhaps, some of you would like to go in with me as partners? That would be great, as I have an MBA in finance, but no teaching experience.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.

alterego
18-10-2007, 14:07
I see no advantage in going with a franchise. Only additional costs for you.

Just get a few teachers and experienced administrators, a Russian lawyer and a Russian accountant.

Oh, and don't forget the salesman.

iamjustinmiller
18-10-2007, 15:31
I can teach if need be, provided you can pay a minimum of $20 an hour.

Bels
18-10-2007, 18:17
Yes I'd go along with the above post. You can build up a school on a shoe-string or pay a $100,000 fo a Franchise, when you can do it much better.

However if your so stuck on a Franchise or buying an existing school try tefl.com You could always try English First as that is a franchise.

If you do it on your own then you have no restrictions on how you run that business and also you choose what materials you are going to use rather than using their garbage.

Building up a business is not as expensive as these franchises make it out to be.

GaNozri
19-10-2007, 00:05
I agree. It makes sense from a financial standpoint to go on your own. But if you are like me - with no teaching experience, no knowledge of which methodology to use etc., you are in fact giving your business away to the people you hire. I would only do it if: 1) I had a partner who is a professional teacher, 2) If I got some solid training from someone who is knowledgable.

Is $100K what a school franchise around here goes for, or is it a guesstimate?

Bels
19-10-2007, 00:26
I agree. It makes sense from a financial standpoint to go on your own. But if you are like me - with no teaching experience, no knowledge of which methodology to use etc., you are in fact giving your business away to the people you hire. I would only do it if: 1) I had a partner who is a professional teacher, 2) If I got some solid training from someone who is knowledgable.

Is $100K what a school franchise around here goes for, or is it a guesstimate?

I've seen figures a little higher. But why when I am starting it from zero for example. Where does all that money go. Try tefl.com for advertised francises or eslcafe.com or try for example English first website. there are probably some less established ones happy to take your money

Why on earth do you want a school if you are not already a teacher. What experience do you have in running such a business, Isnt there better franchises with more money that fits your experience. You cant judge whats good or bad if you dont know the business.

GaNozri
19-10-2007, 11:31
Why on earth do you want a school if you are not already a teacher. What experience do you have in running such a business, Isnt there better franchises with more money that fits your experience. You cant judge whats good or bad if you dont know the business.

The business appeals to me. I would like to run a school. I know a few kids that went to English schools, so i have an idea of how much $$ they can generate. Other franchises? In Moscow? Like coffee shops or fast food joints? Perhaps.., but it seems to me that running those is a much bigger headache and the $ is not necessarily better.

Bels
19-10-2007, 11:52
On reading these Franchises, they do ask that you have local knowledge of business regulations of that particular country. That doesn't come with franchise package. Now for Russia with licensing a school and many other regulations inviting bribes for many, I'm beginning to wonder if its worth the hassle in Russia. Yes we have and will continue to investigate the possibilities of opening a licensed school in the future. Or whether to remain a private teacher on an entrepneurs license. The latter is much less hassle and tax.

Bels
19-10-2007, 20:18
Also the other problem. You either take on a well established high reputation of a name, an international brand in other words. but I do not know of one do you? and will your Russian students know of it.

Of course you could bluff yourself through with a franchise based in Oxford and Cambridge, and bluff your way with these names simply because companies are established in these well known cities. Will this fool your prospective customers?
Why bother though, you can register your own company from there for about 75 or even less.

The other restrictions applied will be your flexibility of your marketing and price structure. You should want to decide whether you want to be in the lower cheaper market, the middle market or the elite market. For very small schools, you will have the advantage of not requiring so many students and you should go for the best and most expensive teachers and you should advertise it so. Your fees can be high.

Also as an independant private school you won't have royalties and forced marketing expenses to hinder your profits.

Oh! that reminds me How about Harvard for a name? :)

GaNozri
20-10-2007, 10:49
Is Oxford taken already?:shhhhhh::)

Bels
21-10-2007, 17:23
Is Oxford taken already?:shhhhhh::)

Many times I presume.

Bels
19-11-2009, 23:45
Franchise search is always a good thing. English First is a clear franchise. oxoford another, but I know their are others, such as this montesori what do you ma call it, al profitablel franchises in one way or another.

But what you need is a good partner,. Advertise for a qualified native speaking teacher here, and the only thing they will need from you is the knowledge of good businees knowledge in Russia, a communication with prospective students and their parents, knowing the red tape laws required in Russia to open a language centre in Russia etc etc. I didn't say it was easy but you need to know the Russian side, And that's what my Russian wife wife is doing for me. Believe me! She claims she is busier than me, doing admin and looking fter our little terror of a 3 plus year old boy.

Do you want it, as it is hard work, believe me. Do you think you will be simply sending teachers to teach? Forget it, You will be working. especially when even one teacher has groups totalling about,80. Yes! you will be working.

Ian G
20-11-2009, 11:07
When I was teaching for BKC they had a kind of franchise thing going- maybe still do- in the suburbs- Khimki, Troitsk, Zhulebino, Zheleznodorozhniy, Korolyov, etc, and mostly used the premises of local schools. A 'local organizer' working on a commission basis was in charge of the local advertising, organizing the premises, communicating with the teachers many of who couldn't speak much Russian and [-]pocketing the takings[/-]. dealing with the finances. A large percentage of their students were pupils at the local school-or parents, and all of them lived locally. In each of these places it was the only language school- certainly the only one with native speakers.
I don't know if BKC still works in this way, and whether they have local competition now- but they pretty much had a local monopoly as they had a vast number of potential students living within 20 minutes walk in each of these suburbs.
Sounds a lot more promising than the high class anti-swine flu mask business I see you are trying to set up GaNozri.

Bels
22-11-2009, 13:10
You can start small by leasing a classroom in a state school with the director of the school. To do it properly is a lot of redtape, filling in application forms, contacting the education dept, local government, federal government and ensuring there are signatures from all of them together. Later you will have to bid a lease price for the year. Yes it is a lot of hassle. Alternatively make a special deal between you and the director, but that's not entirely legal.

Government owned comunity clubs and Liesure centres are also a good option. As I say a lot of red-tape but worth it if you you compare their rent to private commercial rent.