PDA

View Full Version : Denied work permit

mk182
25-07-2012, 09:25
Helllloo everybody. Its been awhile unfortunately.

Last year I was in the process of becoming a legal working foreigner in Moscow when I was denied a work permit. The official reason was that I didn't have proof of higher education. What I submitted instead was a certificate that I had completed an advanced level Russian course at MGU (which I actually did :P). My prospective employer thought that it should work instead of a degree, but it didn't. After it was rejected they suggested that I go back to the states and get my high school diploma apostilled and try again. I don't know why they thought that would be any better than the MGU certificate. At any rate time I didn't really care anymore. I was sick and tired of the business visas scene. About two weeks before my business visa expired my grandfather died. Broke and frustrated I left Russia to help my family at home.

I have since gone back to university to finish my degree. I am about 18 month away from completing my degree and I've reached a point where I can take the remainder of the courses online, anywhere in the world, even in Moscow. I would LOVE to be able to return to Moscow, work legally, and finish my degree online. So my long-winded twofold question is this...

1) Would a highschool diploma from an American school suffice at FMS? I also have a pilots license /certificate of completion of the aviation course from a trade school but so far no BS. An English friend of mine said that he used his "college" (I guess its a thing between high school and university in England) certificate to get his work permit and that it is equal to a HS diploma. The company which offered to hire me works in mass media and they need native English speakers. Maybe a HS diploma is the "proof" that I can read and write English... ?

2) Would the fact that I was denied a work permit before be a factor for the future? Or would they even care as long as I found the "right" documents next time? I've never been denied a visa, or committed any crimes in Russia or anything.
I also have two American friends who both have degrees and were granted work permits. Ones a teacher for a legit English school and one's an editor at some Russian publication. From what I gather he's the token American. They both claim they were never even asked to provide diplomas or degrees. They just had to show copy of passports, medical, etc.

Anywho any guidance on the proper documents/ if its worth it to try again would be sooooo very much appreciated :)

DavidB
25-07-2012, 09:52
If your salary is 2million rubles per year or more, your company can arrange a work visa through the "highly paid" program and they only need your passport - no medicals, diplomas, etc. If the employer is accredited with the Ministry of Education (universities, private schools, etc.), the salary only has to be 1million rubles per year.

Lots of English teachers without degrees are able to get work visas in Russia. I think they go through a large school like BKC or LanguageLink. Those companies provide an initial teaching course and certificate (They all talk about Tessel or something like that). With that certificate, you can get a visa.

Copy of document with apostille about the vocational education with the translation into Russian (1 notarized copy); or a certificate of equivalency of such document to the Russian school certificate or diploma of professional education.
From VisaHouse: http://www.visahouse.com/work-visa-procedure.asp

Is your company trying to apply for the work permit themselves? Maybe they should consult an agency which knows the process already...

mk182
25-07-2012, 11:24
Unfortunately I wouldn't fall into the "high paid" category. Maybe someday.

I do believe that the company is applying directly to FMS themselves, yes. In fact I believe they have a man who is old and cranky who's job it is to sort work permits for foreigners.

At any rate my English friend was able to get his permit through this company with his U.K. secondary school certification or whatever its called. The quote from the website says certification or degree of professional education but doesn't specify necessarily university degree. Could I try with my high school diploma?

DavidB
25-07-2012, 11:33
I don't know exactly, but you can try contacting Vadim. I think he will know the answer because one of his services is processing of work visas for other companies... http://www.rusvisa.org/

mk182
25-07-2012, 11:49
I don't know exactly, but you can try contacting Vadim. I think he will know the answer because one of his services is processing of work visas for other companies... http://www.rusvisa.org/

Aahh Liga my old friend. Okay thank you! I'll ask to see what the deal is then. I hope that the words "completed" and "diploma" printed on the same document will be enough to satisfy :P

Benedikt
25-07-2012, 19:38
Aahh Liga my old friend. Okay thank you! I'll ask to see what the deal is then. I hope that the words "completed" and "diploma" printed on the same document will be enough to satisfy :P

i did all my training/exams and stuff many years ago. and on my papers there was nowhere the word -diploma- to be seen.We did not have that word at that time. never mind the rest was with all bells and whistles. they wanted a diploma. had a had time to convince them and the translation bureau did some -creative- translation to satisfy the FMS guys.