PDA

View Full Version : What is keeping you here?

Lost in moscow
16-07-2012, 23:17
Over the last 8 years that I've been calling Moscow home, I've meet lots of expats which eventually had returned home for one reason or another. Nothing bad or wrong about it, they moved on.

But then there are those expats who have been celebrating their 20 years+ living in Russia.

Personally, Unless your making at least double the amount here then you would back home, I can't see a reason to stay in Russia. Not with all the other hassles and problems that come with living in Moscow. But that is my opinion.

So, what is keeping you here?

BabyFirefly
16-07-2012, 23:32
I'm going back home to graduate and get medical treatment on August 4th. Personally, I love Russia and Moscow, but I wouldn't live here again without an amazing salary and benefits, and even then I think I'd consider other cities or living outside Moscow.

Lost in moscow
16-07-2012, 23:40
Graduating what?

BabyFirefly
17-07-2012, 00:01
Oh, just university, I'm here on one of those snazzy US gov. scholarships.

Suvorov
17-07-2012, 00:06
I have more marketable skills here than at home, for now, at least. Also, I never disliked living here. In fact, I wanted to go to Russia since I was 13-14. Slowly got used to it over several years of travelling, staying up to 3 months in Russia, Ukriane.

Moscow was more or less a strange city to me, since I spent most of my time before that in St. Pete, but it's not that big a leap. If I had to chose, I'd live in Piter, but Moscow is fine as well. I've been here for over a year know, got the feel of the city, like my job, my (Russian) wife finally found a job she likes as well. No reason, at present, for me to leave - Russia is home now.

yakspeare
17-07-2012, 00:15
Well here any tom,dick or harry with a heartbeat and is a native speaker can earn 3000-6000 USD a month, even straight of university or even high school. and they can set up a language school and make a lot more. working 20 hours a week. considering unemployment in ,say, the US- it is darn easy. and most probably won't pay tax on it either.

For me, I am now undergoing Medical studies to graduate as a doctor. When I finish, my qualifications are recognized back in Australia under certain provisions(going to a in need hospital) or straight forward process to enter Israel. All for $3000 a year including dorms, or less without.

Lost in moscow
17-07-2012, 01:52

Cool, I just finished the American program at Moscow University Touro. Didn't have to leave Moscow to get my American diploma :)

Well here any tom,dick or harry with a heartbeat and is a native speaker can earn 3000-6000 USD a month, even straight of university

I have to agree that with my level of English I was able to get a starting position that paid more then the average 600-900 usd a month. But it's by far not near 6K usd a month. Though I'm getting raises fairly often now, I think I will be at the 3K mark by the end of the year, at least that's my goal for the year, and fairly doable I think considering I've only worked there for 6 months and have almost doubled my starters pay.

But it's hard for me to grasp how bad the job market is in the US, since; A) All my friends in the states who graduated this and last year all have started on their careers rather than just found a job. B) All the unemployed people I see getting interviewed about their job status look like they barely passed high school so to me, seeing them jobless or fighting over the position to be the next fry cook at McDonald seems rather natural to me.

DavidB
17-07-2012, 04:14
All the other tax havens have hot climates. I don't like hot weather.

Personally, Unless your making at least double the amount here then you would back home, I can't see a reason to stay in Russia. Not with all the other hassles and problems that come with living in Moscow. But that is my opinion.
I agree. Moscow is definitely not what I would call a lifestyle city, unless you have a migalka. But it's a great city to visit.

St. Petersburg affords me a pretty good lifestyle. I can't imagine things being a lot better anywhere else. I think larger cities are best visited temporarily.

I also like Kiev, but the last time I was there was in 2010. Maybe it changed since then.

Suvorov
17-07-2012, 16:55
Kiev is still great. Visit it 2-3 times a year. Beautiful city.

abstudent
17-07-2012, 19:39
Russia is one the strongest country in the world and have a futur
in the next 20 years Russia will be the first and strongest country in the world

Over the last 8 years that I've been calling Moscow home, I've meet lots of expats which eventually had returned home for one reason or another. Nothing bad or wrong about it, they moved on.

But then there are those expats who have been celebrating their 20 years+ living in Russia.

inorcist
17-07-2012, 21:25
When I'm here I keep forgetting what it means to be bored. :celebrate:

When I go back home and after two days suddenly there's this strange feeling again of not knowing what to do. That's why I keep on rejecting job offers back home.

Potty
21-07-2012, 18:06

studying in russia is considered snazzy? :question:or the location was your choice?

BabyFirefly
21-07-2012, 18:21
Knowing Russian is. And the scholarship itself is very, very much amazing.

BabyFirefly
21-07-2012, 18:30
Yep, it is, and the scholarship has a ton of amazing benefits. But I wanted to come here anyway. This just made it possible for me to stay here for a longer period than I otherwise could've.

tasel
21-07-2012, 21:37
Russia is one the strongest country in the world and have a futur
in the next 20 years Russia will be the first and strongest country in the world

Is it possible for you to explain ? Because, i don't know much and wish to know more interesting facts.

Kagan
22-07-2012, 20:50

I have been here for arround 3 months and unfortunately i can't see any reason to stay here in stead of money ...

mrzuzzo
23-07-2012, 01:38
I actually really enjoy Moscow, I have made great friends here, have a good and interesting job, love the nightlife and the variety of things that can be done, as well as the proximity to Europe.

But when I look at the housing prices here, I feel hopeless :(

robertmf
23-07-2012, 03:43
I have been here for arround 3 months and unfortunately i can't see any reason to stay here in stead of money ...

Be optimistic :) Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger :bong:

Kagan
23-07-2012, 09:16
Be optimistic :) Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger :bong:

I'm trying to be :) and i'm getting stronger everyday ...

Lost in moscow
23-07-2012, 11:58
But when I look at the housing prices here, I feel hopeless :(

that is whats killing me right now. Having to pay three times the price that I think its worth

BabyFirefly
23-07-2012, 11:59
I'm trying to be :) and i'm getting stronger everyday ...

I HATED my life here for I think... four-five months. Then it got better and better. Now, while I'd be lying to you if I said the quality of life here is as good as in other cities (if you're middle class or broke, as a person with money you can live anywhere!), I do enjoy it and have found happiness here and will miss it.

Kagan
23-07-2012, 21:22
I HATED my life here for I think... four-five months. Then it got better and better. Now, while I'd be lying to you if I said the quality of life here is as good as in other cities (if you're middle class or broke, as a person with money you can live anywhere!), I do enjoy it and have found happiness here and will miss it.

So i have 2 months left ;)

Korotky Gennady
23-07-2012, 21:36
Whatever doesn't kill you makes you stronger :bong:
I heard that some castrated tomcat said it first... :))))

Carl
23-07-2012, 21:40
I HATED my life here for I think... four-five months.

Me too.. I came in October of 1993. First few months were absolute hell & I was sure I wouldn't make it to the end of my 6 month contract.
Ended up staying 18 years.... It does get better:)

Having said that, just recently relocated the family OUTSIDE of Russia. Can't be happier.. Now when I'm in Russia, it feels so nice to know I'm just here on a short business trip... :thumbsup:

robertmf
23-07-2012, 22:07

I vote you stay :bong: You are a member of a select group (http://russiapedia.rt.com/foreigners/) :)

:farout:

MashaSashina
23-07-2012, 23:43
If you stay here, try to enjoy your October, because then the winter, which you will hardly like, starts.

martpark
23-07-2012, 23:47
I've always wondered what it would be like to be a 'foreign agent'. Now it's as easy as getting a visa.

Kagan
27-07-2012, 20:31
If you stay here, try to enjoy your October, because then the winter, which you will hardly like, starts.

I dont want to think about winter now, if i start to think, most probably i will leave after october :)

scd167
27-07-2012, 21:38
I dont want to think about winter now, if i start to think, most probably i will leave after october :)

The winters are fine... once you acquire a taste for vodka.

:D

Kagan
27-07-2012, 21:41
The winters are fine... once you acquire a taste for vodka.

:D

I had enough experience about vodka ;) i dont wanna try again :)

scd167
27-07-2012, 21:43
I had enough experience about vodka ;) i dont wanna try again :)

I know that deal, don't ever drink it myself anymore... so smooth going down and then you remember nothing...

:fridaysign:

FatAndy
27-07-2012, 21:59
I know that deal, don't ever drink it myself anymore... so smooth going down and then you remember nothing...

It's because nobody taught you to do it right way and stop at right time ;)

robertmf
27-07-2012, 22:16

The 'right time to stop' is when allllll the bottles are empty :bong:

FatAndy
27-07-2012, 22:19
No, when money are finished. ;) BTW, one more nice proverb - "When you send a fool for vodka, he'll bring... one bottle..." ;)
TGIF to all! :cool:

Judge
27-07-2012, 22:30

All you need to do when drinking alone is to pretend that two other people are with you....Pour yourself 3 shots and hope for the best..;)

Judge
27-07-2012, 22:33

I have two rules when it comes to Vodka..
1,Only drink at home or at a home where I will spend the night.
2,Drink in the forest, where I know I'll be spending the night under the stars.

FatAndy
27-07-2012, 22:35
Drinking (I mean real DRINKING, not taking one-two shots of brandy in the cold evening) alone is the last step of moral degradation. ;)

Judge
27-07-2012, 22:38
Drinking (I mean real DRINKING, not taking one-two shots of brandy in the cold evening) alone is the last step of moral degradation. ;)
Sure, one or two bottles for us lightweight westerners..:bookworm:

That's why you must pretend you're not alone,the step after that is when one might have a serious drinking problem..

FatAndy
27-07-2012, 22:39
2,Drink in the forest, where I know I'll be spending the night under the stars.
Fresh air, good company and good food - three whales for vodka drinking. ;)

Jas
27-07-2012, 22:51
Well I need a new start. Britain for me means I'm just trapped in a corner by family, culture, obligations. I can't breathe there. There's nothing wrong with the UK itself ofcourse..... but it wasn't working out for me personally and I got to the point where I had to get out.
More positively: I love Russian culture, the nice summers and icy winters, and I have my partner who can't go to the UK and we need to be close. If I can't get my novels published, then I'll go into business with my partner- even if it's just clothes in the rinok.
Daily life is hard for us. We're really struggling financially, live in a 90 sq metre appartment, and have P's relatives from up north coming to stay with us in September. But I'm free and that's all that matters.

robertmf
27-07-2012, 23:15

Drink enough ... and the friends will appear as if by magic :bong:

:Loco: ... and be with you long after the bottles and Ру. are finished :trampoline:

Lost in moscow
28-07-2012, 13:34
Well, thanks for the alcoholic tips. Not that I'll ever need them, I see no reason to drink to the point where it hurts, pretty dumb don't you think? And the hang over? yea, no thank you, and this retarded mentality that if you go out with friends, its disrespectful for you to be drinking a beer when everyone else is backing shots. I find it disrespectful that I have to repeat No a billion times and get mad before everyone backs off and leaves me to enjoy my beer.

One reason why I stopped hanging out with a lot of Russians I meet, they place alcohol to far up in their priority list.

DavidB
28-07-2012, 13:39
We're really struggling financially
Maybe you could start an English language school. It's one industry that will be in demand in Russia for a long time, especially in the regions.

The most difficult part would be getting a company registered and accredited with UFMS, but once you have that, it would be possible to organise work visas for foreigners.

robertmf
28-07-2012, 17:01
Fresh air, good company and good food - three whales for vodka drinking. ;)

What do you mean by, "three whales" :question: 3 friends ?

:SwoonLoveSmiley: Fat women ? For example, For swimming, fat women go to whale beach.

MashaSashina
28-07-2012, 18:45

Maybe foundation? Like 3 whales for the Earth?

robertmf
28-07-2012, 18:55
Maybe foundation? Like 3 whales for the Earth?

:11157: Не понял :(

MashaSashina
28-07-2012, 19:05
http://glupec.info/wp-content/uploads/Zemlya_pokoitsya_na_spinax_trjox_bol%27shix_kitov.jpg

robertmf
28-07-2012, 19:09
http://glupec.info/wp-content/uploads/Zemlya_pokoitsya_na_spinax_trjox_bol%27shix_kitov.jpg

:doh: Увидел, а еще не понял :Loco: LOL ..ummm... sci-fi science fiction story/novel/book :question:

Inola
29-07-2012, 10:12
:doh: Увидел, а еще не понял :Loco: LOL ..ummm... sci-fi science fiction story/novel/book :question:

No, ancient mythological beliefs RE the Earth and the world...

FatAndy
30-07-2012, 15:10
Well, Masha has described everything pretty exactly. 3 friends should be including you. ;)

Judge
30-07-2012, 15:16
Well, Masha has described everything pretty exactly. 3 friends should be together with you. ;)

3 friends that drink like a fish?:yikes:

Maybe Russians say ''whales''

Meaning

Drink heavily, especially of alcoholic drink.

Origin

Clearly an allusion to fishes' close association with water and their continuous open-mouthed taking in of water to obtain oxygen. The phrase is known since 1640 and appears in Fletcher and Shirley's The night-walker, or the little theife, from that date:

"Give me the bottle, I can drink like a Fish now, like an Elephant."

'Drink like an elephant' didn't catch on. There is a more recent potential boost to use 'drink like a fish' - at least for Californian Valley girls. In January 2005 a press release for the Dalian Fisherman's Song Maritime Biological Brewery in China, said that they had developed a fermentation process to make fish into wine. So now, you can 'drink, like, a fish'.

FatAndy
30-07-2012, 15:22
Not neccesary like a fish or elephant.
And whale is mammal, not fish ;)
3-5 bottles (1.5-2.5 L) for 3 persons usually is quite enough - with a fresh air and a good food.
At the same time, one glass (200-250 ml) w/o food and in the end of hard day can knock you down pretty easily. ;)

robertmf
30-07-2012, 15:36
In January 2005 a press release for the Dalian Fisherman's Song Maritime Biological Brewery in China, said that they had developed a fermentation process to make fish into wine. So now, you can 'drink, like, a fish'.

Fish wine from China (http://www.iol.co.za/news/back-page/china-gives-drink-like-a-fish-new-meaning-1.232785).

Smb take a look, maybe it's on Russian store shelves :question:

:10479: Australian Fish Eye winery has nothing to do with fish (http://www.fisheyewines.com/beach-report/), just poor fishing metaphors.

FatAndy
30-07-2012, 15:38
No, I saw only Japanese berries one from that geo. And, it seems to me I told you that basically I drink local brandies (from KKZ and Derbent distilleries, sometimes trophys from Kaliningrad, Chernyahovsk etc.).

robertmf
30-07-2012, 15:48
Not neccesary like a fish or elephant.
And whale is mammal, not fish ;)
3-5 bottles (1.5-2.5 L) for 3 persons usually is quite enough - with a fresh air and a good food.

At the same time, one glass (200-250 ml) w/o food and in the end of hard day can knock you down pretty easily. ;)

Har! After 1.5-2L you will see the pink elephant and not care if it is mammal or fish or talking clam :goblin:

FatAndy
30-07-2012, 15:52
It depends on ideological orientation. I saw green proletary crocodiles, and it was only once.
And 1.5 L per 3 persons = 1 bottle only per head, nothing to speak about. :cool:

robertmf
30-07-2012, 15:53
No, I saw only Japanese berries one from that geo. And, it seems to me I told you that basically I drink local brandies (from KKZ and Derbent distilleries, sometimes trophys from Kaliningrad, Chernyahovsk etc.).

Brandy is wine, just distilled :punk:

I meant implied Russian-collective pronoun "you", not necessarily you, personally ;)

FatAndy
30-07-2012, 15:57
Distilled from "wine materials", let's say ;)

I think nobody will bring that fish wine here. In catastroika times there were Vietnamese and Chinese vodkas (very low quality ones) and ppl have not very good image of the geo in alcohol production. They try sake in Japanese/oriental restaurants and Asahi beer, but not very actively, as same as oriental whiskeys.

robertmf
30-07-2012, 16:19
Distilled from "wine materials", let's say ;)

I think nobody will bring that fish wine here. In catastroika times there were Vietnamese and Chinese vodkas (very low quality ones) and ppl have not very good image of the geo in alcohol production. They try sake in Japanese/oriental restaurants and Asahi beer, but not very actively, as same as oriental whiskeys.

That's my experiences, too. I suspect Asia doesn't have the long history of necessary grains production to develop proper distilling techniques, except of course, for rice fermentation.

FatAndy
30-07-2012, 16:37
Well, I think there is some low biochemical resistance of mongoloid race to the hard drinks has mixed also (they just didn't form big potential market for alcohol). Though that Asahi beer is not bad, "Taiwan Gold" one is also very good in that wet hot weather (it has less alcohol % than usual beer, but not less taste). "Tsindao" in bottles in mainland China also looks pretty decent. 56-58% vol "Gaolyanovka" also went smooth.

robertmf
30-07-2012, 16:58
Well, I think there is some low biochemical resistance of mongoloid race to the hard drinks has mixed also (they just didn't form big potential market for alcohol).

When (Native American) Indians and "firewater" mix :mml: they go out and scalp all the white people :Loco:

Monday vocabulary lesson : scalping (http://www.spartacus.schoolnet.co.uk/WWscalping.htm)

firewater myth (http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/9210750)

Indian alcohol tract (http://www.counselormagazine.com/feature-articles-mainmenu-63/29-alternative/557-alcohol-problems-in-native-america-a-new-and-provocative-history)

robertmf
30-07-2012, 17:02
... I think nobody will bring that fish wine here ...

Sun Keman, an entrepreneur in the northeastern port city of Dalian, has formed the Dalian Fisherman's Song Maritime Biological Brewery, with a plan to use his background in the fishing industry to make fish into wine.

"Different from China's thousands of years of brewing, the brewery will clean, boil, and ferment fish for making wine," the official Xinhua news agency reported.

The company already had orders from Japan, Russia and other parts of China, it said.

FatAndy
30-07-2012, 17:10
When (Native American) Indians and "firewater" mix :mml: they go out and scalp all the white people :Loco:
Do they still do it???

Thanks God, I've survived in 3 trips there... :cool:

The company already had orders from Japan, Russia and other parts of China, it said.[/I]
Only as a joke part of wine shop I guess - "...and after all look here, what the beast we have!" ;)
Drink and zakuska in one vessel, aha...

robertmf
30-07-2012, 17:13
Do they still do it???

Thanks God, I've survived in 3 trips there... :cool:

Now the only scalping the Indians do is on their reservation casinos (http://www.indiancasinos.com/) :bong:

ibrahimkhanmd
31-07-2012, 00:44
It can be true since the favorably destination for students is becoming russia. the knowledge exchange programs are good. people are getting benefited with that