PDA

View Full Version : Do I have a chance????

CanGuy
23-12-2003, 20:59
Hello everyone!!!

I was wondering what my chances are of getting a fairly good paying job in Moscow? Here is my story, I was born in Moscow but moved away while the country was still under communism. Now I’m living in Canada and just finished my final year of University, majoring in Financial Accounting and management. As a hobby of a sad pathetic accountant I actualy got my self fairly familiar with the Russian current tax laws (god bless the black and white ledger). I would say that on a scale of 1-10 in terms of my Ruski ezik capability, I'm an 8. My question again to all you kind and generous people is what do you think my chances are for find a decent job in Moscow? Housing is not a problem because I have an apartment and a datcha in Moscow.

Intourist
24-12-2003, 10:21
Dudechik,

Let me sum it up for you as I see it. Sit down and listen to Dyadya Intour.

-You speak Russian well (by your own biased admission),
-you know Russian tax law,
-you have a free place to stay,
-you also are Western educated and English speaking,

and you're wondering if you have a chance of getting a job ?

Are you serious ? C'mon. Either you're trying to impress someone here (and people on these boards are either tough to impress, or simply not worth impressing - I personally fall into both categories); or you need a serious amount of affirmation from other people.

Here's my assessment: you're young, so you'll have the experience thing working against you, but if you wage a valid resume-sending campaign, you'll hit something pretty quick. Check the job sites, read the papers, contact the agencies that work international firms and foreigners and you'll get a job if you want one. If you're on the ground here, it'll be a lot easier.

Now get off my knee. Dydya Intour's gotta take a leak.

moscowmail
24-12-2003, 10:47
Great advice Dydar...

Can you help me as well Plllleeaassee, I WANNA SIT ON YOUR LAP ;)

fat_chick
24-12-2003, 10:49
no chances boy
not at all.....we have fully patriotoic parlament here you know and no traitors needed
ones we already've got we going to through out the country pritty soon
sorry i had to tell you the truth

fat_chick
24-12-2003, 10:51
yahh.... we are and we've uhu...i know...don't be bothered

Intourist
24-12-2003, 11:22
Originally posted by moscowmail
Great advice Dydar...

I WANNA SIT ON YOUR LAP ;)

Sorry. Only if you have breasts.

Jet
24-12-2003, 11:46
Intour, tha fact that he has a dick plays no role?

Intourist
24-12-2003, 12:00
Originally posted by Jet Li
Intour, tha fact that he has a dick plays no role?

Jet-Li, a good point actually, but 9 times out of 10, having one precludes having the other, and having seen MM personally, I felt safe that my prerequisites as stated would prove sufficient to keep him off my knee, at least for a while.

Might I also remind you, that such brash and course questions are best left asked in the Bardak section, and not its gentler cousin, "The Cafe".

Cheers,
Intour

Polia Ivanova
24-12-2003, 15:13
My Russian accounting experience is a bit out of date (I worked as a Systems Accountant for one big foreign company in Moscow until 1999 and than moved to the UK) but I am sure one thing is still important in Russia - do not hesitate to use big employment agencies with good reputation. Foreign and big companies tend not to employ people “from the street” and agencies perform basic skill and background check and, gosh, don’t they sell you hard. I was really disappointed by English agencies – they always try to stick you to a position for which you are overqualified and basically they do not care.
I am not sure about qualifications framework in Russia – Russian ACCA stream exists, but there are others including some sort of Ministry of Finance certification – usually takes few months of preparation. Employers treasure work experience and ready to employ non-qualified but experienced person although situation is changing slowly towards appreciation of accounting qualifications.