PDA

View Full Version : It's sooo dark here

Maine Surfer
23-12-2003, 16:47
Man, it's so dark here. It's dark when I leave for work, and it's dark when I come back. Heck, it's dark now, 4:30 pm! Kinda depressing. I guess it's one bad thing about this city.

jules
23-12-2003, 16:51
Yeah, but in June it's bright all the time... Dec 21 is the shortest day, you'll find every day is brighter for a little longer - the worst is over. :cool: :)

psiems
23-12-2003, 16:56
Jules, that is a very positive statement!
Cheers!

sfjohns67
23-12-2003, 17:02
Yeah, that's way cool, I completely forgot about the winter solstice/equinox/whateveritscalled - thanks for the reminder, Jules!

It's all downhill from heeeeere!!!!!!!

allice
23-12-2003, 17:11
Actually, December 22 was the shortest day..

And they promise a 10C temp drop tonight, which proves this Russian proberb:

—олнце - на лето, зима - на мороз. :)

Polia Ivanova
23-12-2003, 17:59
If it makes you feel better - it has been raining in Manchester for several hours and it is also VERY dark despite all geographical differences.
Yesterday it snowed a bit but today is +10 C but very strong wind and they also announced on the radio today that more people are killed by cold weather in the UK (proportionally) than in Russia...

psiems
23-12-2003, 18:13
Thanks, but Jules still wins the prize for making us feel better!

fat_chick
23-12-2003, 18:21
yeahh June
that's right - 7 days a year of nice sunshine is a strong argument against 7 month of a hobbit hole

Polia Ivanova
23-12-2003, 18:31
Originally posted by fat_chick
yeahh June
that's right - 7 days a year of nice sunshine is a strong argument against 7 month of a hobbit hole

last June was a bit of disappointment really - too cold. I wasn't in Moscow but my Russian sister reported. But sometimes Moscow "enjoys" many weeks of scorching around +35 in June Ц July. Too humid...feels sticky

DaveUKagain
23-12-2003, 18:32
Originally posted by Polia Ivanova
If it makes you feel better - it has been raining in Manchester for several hours and it is also VERY dark despite all geographical differences.

Polia`s not wrong there. ;-)))) (anddddddd Braders and Mrs Braders are flying back here as we very speak..... ) ;-)))))))

Driving down a very very very long straight road in Sweden once, where it goes dark at 3pm, this sign comes out of the gloom saying "VILLAGE 1500m ahead" - drove on a little further and another sign appears saying "PSYCHIATRIST 500m AHEAD" :D

And unfortunately our poor bloody pensioners here don`t get paid enough to keep adequately warm and fed over winter. The usual national scandal that no one cares about - until it happens to them.....

DJ Biscuit
23-12-2003, 18:38
Terrible Dave, that would never happen in Russia. :D

Flippant DJ, Flippant and uncalled for...:D

geofizz56
23-12-2003, 18:54
Dare I mention that it will be a breezy 15 C in Houston today? No, that would be cruel...... But it will make it possible to go to a nearby observatory this weekend and enjoy the "winter" sky, when a long-sleeve shirt is necessary only to repel the mosquitos.

Ah, well, I'll be back in Moscow in plenty of time to enjoy the rest of a real winter.

fat_chick
23-12-2003, 19:03
no it's not cruel
go on....

Polia Ivanova
23-12-2003, 19:16
Originally posted by DaveUKagain

And unfortunately our poor bloody pensioners here don`t get paid enough to keep adequately warm and fed over winter. The usual national scandal that no one cares about - until it happens to them.....

It is not only old people. Russians dress properly when it is cold and my biggest English shock was when I saw girls going out in little dresses and sandals when it was snowing. Remember one schoolgirl on a bus stop in my pre-driving years Ц she looked miserable in her fish fur coat (Russian expression) but probably never thought about putting on couple of jumpers with it which would have made a difference (no way if it makes her look fat).
And central heating which is OPTIONAL Ц and they call it developed country.

DJ Biscuit
23-12-2003, 19:21
:D

Personally I don't wear a hat or gloves here. I am never ill and I have been here years, maybe English are tougher :D or not such hypocondriacs :D

Polia Ivanova
23-12-2003, 19:31
Originally posted by DJ Biscuit
:D

Personally I don't wear a hat or gloves here. I am never ill and I have been here years, maybe English are tougher :D or not such hypocondriacs :D

No I think it is something in national approach to the cold weather - Russians think that cold weather means they should put on more clothes to feel more comfortable and English think - well, cold weather so we will be cold, what are winters for...

This is terrible weather in the UK scary article:

http://uk.news.yahoo.com/031223/325/ehq6x.html

Bloody capitalists - gas company cannot contact social services when they cut off gas supply because of the data protection law.

DJ Biscuit
23-12-2003, 19:35
Mmmm, today's forecast doesn't look bad, London 12 degrees later in the week...

geofizz56
24-12-2003, 01:21
Okay, fat_chick, you asked for it....

We have a brisk north breeze blowing around bright red and gold leaves this afternoon. The sky is cloudless and an amazing shade of blue. The live oaks and magnolias are still green, my roses are blooming, and there are a few flowers left on the honeysuckle around my fish pond. I spent yesterday afternoon drinking a beer on my back porch while watching my greyhound run laps around the yard.

A few more days of this and it's going to be really hard to get back on the plane for Moscow.

kniga
24-12-2003, 02:02
Fat_Chick,

In Florida today it is +22 C., a few clouds blowing out to sea and lawns are still green. Beer on the dock, beef in the belly and blues chased away...

DaveUKagain
24-12-2003, 02:28
;-)))) Polia, you`ll have to come down the Bratok meetings at the Mark Addy. ;-) There I was two weeks ago and a load of drunken English girls came in wearing just t-shirts and short skirts - they were totally plastered and all singing rugby songs. ;-)))))) The Russians I with were amazed - it was one girls` first day in the UK and she didn`t know what to make of it at all - just sat there astonished. ;-))))))

I think DJ`s right, y`know - we`re from a country where the weather always stays the same. So we don`t bother with the strange concept of dressing properly for extreme temperatures. If mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the midday sun, we also seem to walk around getting frozen solid. ;-)))))) English stoicism perhaps. Or stupidity, more probably.. ;-))))) No idea why, I think it`s because we`re used to getting rained on, and being a contrary lot, are probably sticking two fingers up at whatever the elements can throw at us. ;-))))))))))))

You`re right about the greedy bloody capitalists here - as I told my fiancee, you come here and you can bet no one`ll give a monkeys about you - it`s not Russia, that`s for sure.

DaveUKagain
24-12-2003, 02:29
Originally posted by kniga
Fat_Chick,

In Florida today it is +22 C., a few clouds blowing out to sea and lawns are still green. Beer on the dock, beef in the belly and blues chased away...

Kniga, there`s only one place that it`s 22 C here, and that`s in my humidor. ;-)))))) If I smoke enough stogies I may just be able to squeeze in....... ;-)))))))

kniga
24-12-2003, 05:15
Dave,

And no room for the beef or beer...pity!

Sadie
24-12-2003, 08:45
1. I want to Florida
2. I want somebody to cancel winter here
3. I want to sleep.

But then there are places where it's polar night now!!!!! There is no sunrise at all, can u imagine :( :confused:

petrolf
24-12-2003, 08:56
what about 38 + and all my Mats are outdoors by the Water ,fu,,,k what i,am doing her?
i miss Australia

fat_chick
24-12-2003, 09:39
geo whatever
hard to get on the plan??
so don't........

Harringtonss
24-12-2003, 10:18
Where in Florida? My mom lives in Bonita Springs and says it was really cold and wet there last week. "Cold", mmmmm.

sfjohns67
24-12-2003, 10:21
Yeah, we used to say the same thing when I was growing up in Orlando....brrrrrr, it's an icy 18C (65F) outside.

Talk about ignorance being bliss!

DaveUKagain
24-12-2003, 15:19
Originally posted by kniga
Dave,

And no room for the beef or beer...pity!

Ahhhh, I stored `em elsewhere, Kniga. ;-)))))) Actually, gave up drinking "nasty beer" for two years due to a medical condition - started again - guess what ? The medical condition cleared up. It`s a Christmas miracle, I tell you. ;-))))))))

Polia Ivanova
24-12-2003, 17:08
from my favourite language site

geofizz56
24-12-2003, 18:00
Fat_chick, I'd love to stay here with family and warmth, but I'm commmitted to a 2-year stay in Moscow. The company would let me out of it, in fact 3 different country managers have tried to recruit me, but my boss is a great guy and it would be wrong to leave early.

So I'll buy new boots and thicker gloves and shiver for another year. Then it's back to the tropics. No offense to Moscow, but I find the heat much easier to bear than the cold.

Fa-Q!
24-12-2003, 19:41
not such hypocondriacs
=====================
For sure, dude. Don't think having a little ice in my coke will give me angina, as the general public here seems to think. Hee! Hee! angina :)

Maine Surfer
25-12-2003, 10:00
This actually helps with dark days.
Anytime I think of this place being dark, I say to myself, well in Sweden it gets dark at 3pm, and my friend Dennis told me that in Murmansk it's ALWAYS dark for about 4 moths. So IT'S NOT SO BAD HERE! Could be worse

polly
25-12-2003, 10:20
just makes the partay longer

fat_chick
25-12-2003, 12:29
Geo, my condolences
what a pritty place to be stucked in hehe
well I wouldn't like to be stucked somewhere like florida or texas neither to any other place where it's hot most of the year - i don't like summer for more than 3 month

geofizz56
25-12-2003, 17:11
Funny how everyone reacts differently to the heat. I grew up in the north and just love the tropics. My husband grew up in the south and insists on maximum air conditioning. I don't think we'll ever find a place where we're both comfortable.

geofizz56
26-12-2003, 20:10
My hibiscus bloomed on Christmas day - pretty, huh?

ingsoc
06-01-2004, 06:03
You should try Peter....it seems to not get light till about 9:30 in the winter..and then dark by 4...which means not much time to catch any rays at all! ....Im from California...although I LOVE the sunshine and dont mind snow as I grew up in the midwest...such short days can be depressing......guess I need to buy a grow/sunlight when Im there and get some dose of rays ....maybe I can pick one up off of an old soviet sub? ;)

Sadie
06-01-2004, 09:53
Originally posted by geofizz56
My hibiscus bloomed on Christmas day - pretty, huh?
she's mockin' at us freezin' our ***** here when it is -12 C!! :p

geofizz56
06-01-2004, 10:55
Sorry, Sadie, I just couldn't resist. I'm back here now freezing along with y'all. Good thing I bought heavier gloves and a balaclava. 20 years in Texas and the tropics really reduced my resistance to the cold. Even worse, I forgot how to walk on ice. I keep falling, which doesn't hurt but is embarrassing.

Sadie
06-01-2004, 11:08
C'mon, i was kiddin'
anywayz, neither do i understand how it is possible to survive in the Texas climate ;) So you are a double hero !!
I just remembered how stupid i was last year to decide it was romantic to spend christmas vacations in Finland. Not only -20 frost was killin' all human senses and desires, but when I woke up at appr. 11AM and saw no sun in the sky.. well, i got a feeling i was in a coffin, and then again it got dark at 4 PM. That's unbearable!! Never EVER!!! go to Finland in winter!!!!

geofizz56
06-01-2004, 11:42
But Norway can be nice. Oslo at Christmas time is fairy-tale pretty. Insanely expensive, but pretty. They have a skating rink in the center of town with music and hot drinks, and people skate all evening. There are so many lights and bright colors you really don't notice the dark. Very cheerful.