PDA

View Full Version : Ulan-Ude.

Larry Paradine
05-07-2012, 22:48
No, you're quite right, there isn't a board here about Ulan-Ude. At the moment, I'm not competent to start one, never having been there. That could change in August. My wife and I have been invited to spend a couple of weeks in a village in Buryatia. The nearest city is Ulan-Ude (the nearest Russian city, that is: the village is close to the Mongolian border). Our problem is transport. Specifically, cheap transport! We can't afford a купе, and the only remaining пласткартны berths available in August are all вверхные польки: fine for supple young travellers, but we're both pensioners. Air fares seem to be prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know of reasonably cheap train or plane tickets to Ulan-Ude in August? We live in Cheboksary, about 600 km east of Moscow and could travel to Moscow to begin the journey to Ulan-Ude if necessary, but I'd prefer to catch a train or plane somewhere closer, like Kazan or Nizhny Novgorod. Any ideas/info will be very welcome. (You can pm me or answer here).

DavidB
05-07-2012, 23:14
Try this site: http://www.tutu.ru/poezda/rasp_d.php?nnst1=2060500&nnst2=2054555&date=02.08.2012

It seems that there are some tickets on the lower berths available.

xSnoofovich
06-07-2012, 10:55
Air fares seem to be prohibitively expensive. Does anyone know of reasonably cheap train or plane tickets to Ulan-Ude in August? but I'd prefer to catch a train or plane somewhere closer, like Kazan or Nizhny Novgorod. Any ideas/info will be very welcome. (You can pm me or answer here).

Did you see www.s7.ru? it seems as if a one way ticket is about 8k rub w/rt about 20k.

also, are you sure that nizhy or kaza are close to uu? ;b

one other idea is that you could take a plan to irkutsk. usually, its much cheaper. there are daily marshutka rides from the main train station to uu. it costs about 800 rub. its also an 8 hour ride. in addition, you could try to just take the train from there, but even then, its still an overnighter.

FatAndy
06-07-2012, 11:12
Hi Larry,
I don't know about your exact budget, but cheapest return air tickets for 2 weeks (Friidays 10th to 24th Aug for Moscow-Irkutsk-Moscow for the moment you get for 22-25K rub per person (S7, Aeroflot, Utair go there). Then you may reach Ulan-Ude by train from Irkutsk on Transsib. Flight time is 4.5-5 hours (according to my experience), train time 6.5-8.5 hours (according to rzd.ru), platzkart is 900+ rub, coupe is below 2000 rub.

Or you may make a stop on Baikal (worth to see), price is from 350 rub/night in the hostel to 12000 rub in the posh hotel in Listvyanka village, transport from Irkutsk airport (50 bus-150 marshrutka per person) -1500 taxi per car,
and take the train from southern part of Baikal (Slyudyanka station) to Ulan Ude. From Listvyanka to Slyudyanka there is touristic train on KBZhD with stops to see tunnels and galleries, price is several hundreds to 1.5K AFAIR, or by sea (subject to deal).

Kermesh
06-07-2012, 12:22
Hi! I bought tickets to Ulan Ude in May on aviasales.ru. The price was 10 000 rub per person in both directions. Now it is 19 672. Traveling by train is really tediously.