PDA

View Full Version : Where to find grass-fed beef, pastured pork, free-range chicken, etc.?

nissenpa
26-06-2012, 00:38
I'll be moving to Moscow next month and would like to know where I can buy wild caught fish, pasture raised pork products, grass fed beef (I know all beef is a bit hard to come by in RU), organic chicken and eggs, etc.

I have great access to farms in the Washington DC area that I get all of these products (and raw and cultured dairy products) and hope I can find the same in Moscow.

I can't live without good quality, organic bacon!

mrzuzzo
26-06-2012, 01:05
Why is beef hard to come by in Moscow? I haven't had any issues buying beef...

Most of the stuff you buy in Russia is organic, even if it doesn't say so... the markets are a good place to start and stores such as Azbuka and Globus definitely have mostly organic products..

robertmf
26-06-2012, 01:11

The Impossible Dream -- Elvis Presley,Music & Lyrics,Marlo Sa - YouTube

martpark
26-06-2012, 01:14
As MrZ said beef is every where and must products are organic. They haven't really discovered the 'wonders' of factory farming yet.

penka
26-06-2012, 01:19
As MrZ said beef is every where and must products are organic. They haven't really discovered the 'wonders' of factory farming yet.

They have, hun. Dats why I'm shopping rynoks.

nissenpa
26-06-2012, 01:50
what is rynoks?

martpark
26-06-2012, 01:54
They have, hun. Dats why I'm shopping rynoks.

You think the eggs with chicken sheet on them come from a factory? Not likely. GM/GMO products are also avoided in Russian food.

Rynoks are no guarantee against anything. There's no running water in many rynoks. How do they wash their hands and surfaces? I saw a woman in a kiosk washing her hands from an upside down water bottle and plastic cup sink. They'll sell you old fruit with new fruit and hide it underneath but to each his/her own. Caveat emptor no matter where you go shopping.

ezik
26-06-2012, 01:54
Check our Expat Card forum.
LavkaLavka, one of our sponsors, is providing exactly what you need. And you even get a discount! (Why? because we are nice people).

I'll be moving to Moscow next month and would like to know where I can buy wild caught fish, pasture raised pork products, grass fed beef (I know all beef is a bit hard to come by in RU), organic chicken and eggs, etc.

I have great access to farms in the Washington DC area that I get all of these products (and raw and cultured dairy products) and hope I can find the same in Moscow.

mrzuzzo
26-06-2012, 01:55
what is rynoks?

It's Russian for a farmer's market. There's one in every neighborhood in Moscow.

robertmf
26-06-2012, 02:23
... I saw a woman in a kiosk washing her hands from an upside down water bottle and plastic cup sink. They'll sell you old fruit with new fruit and hide it underneath but to each his/her own. Caveat emptor no matter where you go shopping.

Sneaky Russian babyshkas taking advantage of poor capitalists !

penka
26-06-2012, 02:36
You think the eggs with chicken sheet on them come from a factory? Not likely. GM/GMO products are also avoided in Russian food.

Rynoks are no guarantee against anything. There's no running water in many rynoks. How do they wash their hands and surfaces? I saw a woman in a kiosk washing her hands from an upside down water bottle and plastic cup sink. They'll sell you old fruit with new fruit and hide it underneath but to each his/her own. Caveat emptor no matter where you go shopping.

Not sure, what chicken sheet is, but they r usually washing the eggs, so u must have been lucky to see this rarity.

Also, if one have only seen supermarket food, it would obviously be difficult to tell imported crap from the local produce.

They are not supposed to wash hands and surfaces, that's one of the pleasures of real farmer food, haha.

penka
26-06-2012, 02:46

Rynok = farmers market, as mrZ said. Sometimes prices are lower than supermarket, sometimes not. Buy seasonal. Ask, where stuff is from. Taste frivolously the stuff u can taste.

For poultry : Usachevsky rynok.
Eggs, fish, meat, anything : Dorogomilovsky rynok. A bit pricy.
Veg, cheese : Danilovsky rynok.
Fish : Cheremushkinsky rynok, look out for &Ростов& sign.

I don't eat pork or veal, but you can look around for that. Also, Ive seen decent looking panchetta at Sedjmoy kontinent.

robertmf
26-06-2012, 02:59
Not sure, what chicken sheet is,

Just shiat misspelled.

You didn't answer skype :( Anyway, it's chicken shiat == курица gavno.

It means ..umm.. small mind or "bird brain"

If you call me, I can give you молодец pronounciation LOL

penka
26-06-2012, 03:19
Just shiat misspelled.

You didn't answer skype :( Anyway, it's chicken shiat == курица gavno.

It means ..umm.. small mind or "bird brain"

If you call me, I can give you молодец pronounciation LOL

It's spelled govno, blackmailer!

robertmf
26-06-2012, 04:12
It's spelled govno, blackmailer!

Yes. Recently много лет тому назад I have little practice with Russian language. So I make the 'o' and the 'a' into 'aw'. So I misspell. I am conscience of that, but cannot correct without more native speakers.

robertmf
26-06-2012, 04:59
... They are not supposed to wash hands and surfaces, that's one of the pleasures of real farmer food, haha.

Where do you think farmers go to bathroom :question:

penka
26-06-2012, 08:37
Where do you think farmers go to bathroom :question:

Puh, I dunno know...
The nearest bushes, no?

robertmf
26-06-2012, 09:06
Puh, I dunno know...
The nearest bushes, no?

Always wash your vegetables :bong:

Periwinkle
26-06-2012, 09:22
I think eggs with chicken poop on them are common here. Suppose, many producers do not see the point in washing them. Does that make them organic - dunno. I am not sure about the food the animals eat, just because it is not factory farmed (though I think in the case of poultry here the chickens are factory farm housed) does not mean organic. Are the foodstuffs the animals eating organic? What about the area they live, is it an environmentally safe area? A lot of the beef in the places MRzuzo suggested are imported.
In terms of organic, I see a Russian brand in the supermarkets Eco something, that claims organic yogurt, milk etc. I have heard people say the fruits and vegetables that are local or from former Soviet Union countries are not sprayed with pesticides etc. You will find a mix of local and imported in shops and outdoor markets.
As mat park, I think said, be careful in markets. I prefer to Pick out my own fruits and veggies. If you let them do it, often they will slip in some bad ones from behind the counter. If they will not let you pick your own, move on to the next stand.

Amilia
27-06-2012, 02:47
It's Russian for a farmer's market. There's one in every neighborhood in Moscow.

wake up! those markets sell products from Ashan and Metro!

BabyFirefly
27-06-2012, 03:03
Yeah, things here are organic. Ask me about it, parasitic infection here that gave me hell for a looong time.

I'll take chemicals from now on, thanks.

DavidB
27-06-2012, 03:22
wake up! those markets sell products from Ashan and Metro!

Same thing with smalls stores and kiosks. They often sell expired or near-expired stuff from the larger stores. You can bet none of it has been stored or transported properly either.

FatAndy
27-06-2012, 09:48
I have heard people say the fruits and vegetables that are local or from former Soviet Union countries are not sprayed with pesticides etc.
It is NOT true. Pesticides were and are used everywhere. It's impossible now to get harvest w/o them for a reasonable price. Unfortunately.

xSnoofovich
27-06-2012, 10:18
unless you go to a village, and actually know the farmer you are buying from, or see the cow you actually are going to eat, then prob its all factory produced food.

its something like 80% of all the chicken in russia comes from the us. awhile back, there were huge scandals in the far east about guys buying kangaroo meat (cuz it was cheaper) from oz, and importing it, then mixing it with toilet paper to make "hot dogs". etc. etc.

anyways, -

here is new russian big biz.

http://www.cherkizovo-group.ru/en/

http://www.cherkizovo-group.ru/upload/uf/8d2/CherkAR11_280512.pdf

FatAndy
27-06-2012, 11:38
its something like 80% of all the chicken in russia comes from the us. awhile back, there were huge scandals in the far east about guys buying kangaroo meat (cuz it was cheaper) from oz, and importing it, then mixing it with toilet paper to make "hot dogs". etc. etc.

Chicken were mostly imported from from US in 199x. During 200x we've restored our own production. Now fresh chicken meat (not frozen) in Moscow almost fully is from Moscow region - Petelino, Yegorievsk, Glebovskaya, Istro-Senezhskaya, Mar'inskaya, Kuramir, Novo-Petrovskaya, Planeta, Chehovskaya, Schelkovskaya chicken factories - plus three more are in different positions of project/construction. Imported chicken meat goes mostly into production of sausages. Total percentage for whole country is now 50/50 AFAIK (increased from 65/35 during last 3 months because of price drops in US and lifted 2-yr ban)

xSnoofovich
27-06-2012, 16:20
well, that is not i read in equity research reports. but, hey, who knows.

Chicken were mostly imported from from US in 199x. During 200x we've restored our own production. Now fresh chicken meat (not frozen) in Moscow almost fully is from Moscow region - Petelino, Yegorievsk, Glebovskaya, Istro-Senezhskaya, Mar'inskaya, Kuramir, Novo-Petrovskaya, Planeta, Chehovskaya, Schelkovskaya chicken factories - plus three more are in different positions of project/construction. Imported chicken meat goes mostly into production of sausages. Total percentage for whole country is now 50/50 AFAIK (increased from 65/35 during last 3 months because of price drops in US and lifted 2-yr ban)

Nobbynumbnuts
27-06-2012, 16:48
.....awhile back, there were huge scandals in the far east about guys buying kangaroo meat (cuz it was cheaper) from oz, and importing it, then mixing it with toilet paper to make "hot dogs". etc. etc...............

No nothing about toilet papper but while working in Vladivostok about 6 years ago i knew a New Zealander who lived there. He was involved in import/export, farming and other interests.
He told me himself, that he used to import containers of kangeroo meat every month into Russia to be used in Kalbassa.

nissenpa
27-06-2012, 23:23
oh my---not so comforting.

Thank you to the responder who listed the various products to get at specific markets. I'll start there and check out Lavka.com. I don't mind paying more but I don't want to pay through the nose either. Then again, maybe not knowing is best.

ezik
27-06-2012, 23:34
Lavka gives a discount for Expat.ru members. :)

oh my---not so comforting.

Thank you to the responder who listed the various products to get at specific markets. I'll start there and check out Lavka.com. I don't mind paying more but I don't want to pay through the nose either. Then again, maybe not knowing is best.

nissenpa
28-06-2012, 17:45
with those prices I'll need the discount. :)

Anyone tried out Lavka yet? Any of their products especially delicious?

FatAndy
28-06-2012, 17:49
with those prices I'll need the discount. :)
Velkam tu Moskou. ;)

mrzuzzo
28-06-2012, 18:40
Anyone tried out Lavka yet? Any of their products especially delicious?

why bother? normal stuff out of stores actually tastes the same or better as organic in US or Canada...