View Full Version : Permit for tutoring

20-06-2012, 11:50
Hi guys, I have just finished my TRP and now need to find work. I need a change of career and was thinking about tutoring (short term or long). As I am married to a Russian citizen, I have been advised that one option would be for my wife to set herself up as an individual entrepreneur and employ me as a tutor. This was for tax reasons. My wife has been looking at relevant websites and mentioned that there appears to be sub-sections in categories of IE. Which is more suitable, if any? Is this the best route forward in my position? Any advise greatly received. I am a UK citizen.
Many thanks

20-06-2012, 12:14
I think there are no obstacles for you to establish your own self-employing company. You do not require the "foreigner" job permit process since you are entitled to work - even "required" since you will have to show NDFL-3 (tax on income) every year to receive your "pereregistratsya", as far as I know.
Personally, I wouldn't bother so much about establishing a company, since the 13% flat rate on personal income isn't really worth the time and hassle of getting your tax deductions approved etc.

20-06-2012, 13:02
The main reason for your wife registering as an entrepreneur is that it's difficult to get a work permit in SPB/Len.Oblast unless you have an employment contract. Obviously you won't have an employment contract if you're in the process of applying for an entrepreneurs license. Since your wife doesn't need a work permit, she wouldn't have that problem.

РВП holders are still required to get work permits before working in Russia. The only difference is that they are exempt from the annual work permit quota. The next step - ВНЖ - would allow you to work without a work permit. However, it's still necessary to apply for a license to provide services from the tax department. Most activities don't require any special documents or certification, but some (eg. medical, legal, etc.) do.

You are not required to work in order to keep your РВП. Tax return forms are what most people use, but FMS also accepts a number of other documents as proof of your ability to support yourself, including bank statements, pensions, etc.