PDA

View Full Version : how to prepare for disappointment?

carly
20-06-2012, 04:27
so I am awaiting a notification about something, but I am so certain I will be disappointed. How would you deal with a situation like this? Eat chocolate while reading the notification? Do it at the end of the day and ignore it until then?

DavidB
20-06-2012, 04:37
Don't read the notification.

--or--

Take a holiday.

carly
20-06-2012, 04:39
Don't read the notification.

--or--

Take a holiday.

well I will have to face reality but I don't know how long I should ignore it for. Coming at a very bad time as well... but then I also need to know.

I think I will stick to eating chocolate whilst reading it.

DavidB
20-06-2012, 04:43
Maybe you should blame God, and then Rusmiester will give you some profound advice about how to solve this problem.

carly
20-06-2012, 04:49
Maybe you should blame God, and then Rusmiester will give you some profound advice about how to solve this problem.

I can only blame myself for the mistakes in my life.

Dear Lord I don't want to transform this thread into a philosophical discussion! :)

mrzuzzo
20-06-2012, 05:47
Somewhat difficult to judge since we don't know your situation.

Regardless, seems like you're already prepared..

P.S. Vodka helps.

bob
20-06-2012, 09:50
I think you have already mentally prepared yourself for the disappointment hence it won't come as a shock anymore.

OzPara
20-06-2012, 10:41
Don't.

Since you are already determined that you won't be getting the news you secretly hope for, then you have nothing to be disappointed about - you are getting what you are expecting, so what is there to be disappointed about?

Whoops, this IS getting philosophical!

So, focus on what the great outcome is more likely to be. You know the saying "when one door closes, another one opens" or "when given lemons, make lemonade"? Well, they both encourage you to look for the positive in any situation. Sometimes it's not that easy to find (looking in the wrong place?), but if you think about it, there is probably something that you should be doing rather than the thing that you want. It doesn't make much sense when the "thing" you are referring to is unknown.

You can't control everything that happens to you. But you can 100% control the reaction that you have and what you do next. Be proactive and be on your terms rather than having a negative reaction to someone else's view.

FatAndy
20-06-2012, 10:56
so I am awaiting a notification about something, but I am so certain I will be disappointed. How would you deal with a situation like this? Eat chocolate while reading the notification? Do it at the end of the day and ignore it until then?

Just say "well, then f@$k them all" and go to a cinema with your (boy)friend ;)

penka
20-06-2012, 11:33
1. Read the bad news.
2. Work the sweat (rigorous exercise, cleaning, whatever).
3. Understand, why the message is negative.
4. Take a walk.
5. See, if you change smth about this particular situation.
6. See, what you must or can do further on. Make a loose action plan.
7. Grab a drink, a piece of chocolate, a bf, go out or stay inside and let yourself the negative news go. And it will.

Good luck
and a hug.

BabyFirefly
20-06-2012, 11:43
Be extremely pessimistic about it to begin with. At least that's what I do every time I really really want something but am unsure if I'll get it. Or, my second strategy, if I am able, research the living crap out of whatever it is to make sure I can somehow increase my chances of obtaining/achieving what I want.

Babygirl
20-06-2012, 12:18
In Russia we have a great saying -- * Решай проблемы по мере их поступления *.

Deal with problems as they arise .

Useless worry you are trying to immerse yourself into right now is a total waste of your precious time.

Respect yourself and your time a bit more.

And stop overanalyzing the issue.

carly
20-06-2012, 13:35
Thanks guys! The news was much better than expected. But somehow I am in disbelief (I feel like I need a paper copy addressed to my name and address to make sure it was not a mistake.

p.s. just got a message saying I got First Class Honours for my degree! (after having been rejected for scholarship, I stopped believing).

BabyFirefly
20-06-2012, 13:45
Congrats! I got rejected for a real mediocre scholarship that most people who apply get... then I won an extremely prestigious one.... and it's kept going that way.... life's weird that way.

carly
20-06-2012, 13:49
Congrats! I got rejected for a real mediocre scholarship that most people who apply get... then I won an extremely prestigious one.... and it's kept going that way.... life's weird that way.

Thanks!

Yes, life is really weird! But in a good way.

bob
20-06-2012, 16:28
p.s. just got a message saying I got First Class Honours for my degree! (after having been rejected for scholarship, I stopped believing).

Congrats ! Calls for a celebration :10806:

Mukesh
20-06-2012, 16:58
Thanks guys! The news was much better than expected. But somehow I am in disbelief (I feel like I need a paper copy addressed to my name and address to make sure it was not a mistake.

Congrats.,
I wonder what you were doing reading that particular news.,Did you stick to Choclates or did you followed advised on this forum?

And what you done after BETTER THAN EXPECTED NEWS,That will be really interesting to know.... ?????:10310:

OzPara
20-06-2012, 17:45
:celebrate:

Congratulations!

FatAndy
20-06-2012, 17:57
just got a message saying I got First Class Honours for my degree! (after having been rejected for scholarship, I stopped believing).
:thumbsup: :ok:

Congratulations!

TolkoRaz
20-06-2012, 22:15

Everything occurs for a reason. If the news is bad and it refers to a job offer or something similar, try and thing that something much better, much more suitable and better paid will come along in the near future.

If you think like that and look at a glass being half full, rather than being half empty, you will hopefully feel so much better and positive :)

Put it out to the Universe, and all will be well! :)

Uspekh! :)

Babygirl
22-06-2012, 13:16
Oh my dear Tolechka I can*t stop admiring how smart and sensible you are. :) :inlove:

TolkoRaz
22-06-2012, 15:33
Oh my dear Tolechka I can*t stop admiring how smart and sensible you are. :) :inlove:

And, I can't stop admiring your youth & beauty! :trampoline:

Its a BIG shame I don't speak Italiano! ;)

martpark
22-06-2012, 19:41
Congratulations! Hope all goes well!

Sasha girl
25-08-2012, 22:15
Best thing - not to have expectations, just let it be the way it goes, and there will not be disappointment.

Sasha girl
25-08-2012, 22:18
Posted my message before reading the end of story )

TolkoRaz
26-08-2012, 10:44
Posted my message before reading the end of story )

Don't worry, it happens to the best of us - But, its another reason why old threads should be automatically 'locked' / 'closed' :book:

Lost in moscow
26-08-2012, 13:46
You can't get disappointed if your expectations were met.

When I turned in my diploma paper, I was expecting a D. I literally wrote it over the weekend, and figured it was enough to pass.

Boy was I happy when I got my B+

Had I been expecting an A, I would have been disappointed. :)