PDA

View Full Version : 'kill disc' and 'wipe disc'

Benedikt
13-10-2007, 11:19
How to Delete Files For Good : Christopher Null : Yahoo! Tech (http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/null/50840)
i was reading through this and being honest that computers are still a book with at least 4 seals, is that stuff any good, do i need it ( I work on my Mac only at home, not connected to a network, no chance anyone else will sneak and at work i have a laptop that comes and goes with me..)
ZONKER if yo uread this your comment will be appreciated..

Baracuda
13-10-2007, 14:19
Well, security is like salt, its good but too much of it then yuk...

Then there is the question why would you really want to clean a HDD? If you have the time you could low-level format it.. or use a military grade formatter which basically writes 0's 8 or more times over the empty places in your HDD.
Again note that HDD's have a lifetime and this falls into excessive use.

Also note I have over thousand or so computers operating and since the 90's I've low-level formated only single home PC 4 times.. and that was to try to undo Norton showing up bad sectors..

As for an article that refers to Norton Systemworks.. well that speaks for it self doesn't it..

mukinusa
21-10-2007, 19:12
Delete the files you need to get rid of, empty the recycle bin.

Start > Run > cmd

type

cypher /w:<drive>:\

where <drive> is the drive that you want to clean, C, D, X....

Go get lunch.

Cypher is built into windows and does what the article linked above has pay software to do.

Also, one pass of zeros is sufficient to render all data on a hard drive unrecoverable. The 8 passes that dod require is purely overkill nowadays. In the golden age of computing it was possible to read residual data left behind even after deletion. Today, the data density allows hard drives with many hundreds of gigabytes of space on them the data density is too small to allow practical recovery of data in this method.

21-10-2007, 20:40
One additional thing is to wipe the "deleted" repertory entries (the file names). Deleting a file just changes a bit in the name file so it is not seen by windows. Wiping the sectors used by the file is good, but so you must also really erase the file name that can give information to spooks :)

For example Directory Snoop (http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm) is done for this. By the way this site has other nice small programs :)

Pobman
22-10-2007, 14:26
Delete the files you need to get rid of, empty the recycle bin.

Start > Run > cmd

type

cypher /w:<drive>:\

where <drive> is the drive that you want to clean, C, D, X....

Go get lunch.

Cypher is built into windows and does what the article linked above has pay software to do.

works better if you type 'cipher' :)

mukinusa
23-10-2007, 03:20
One additional thing is to wipe the "deleted" repertory entries (the file names). Deleting a file just changes a bit in the name file so it is not seen by windows. Wiping the sectors used by the file is good, but so you must also really erase the file name that can give information to spooks :)

For example Directory Snoop (http://www.briggsoft.com/dsnoop.htm) is done for this. By the way this site has other nice small programs :)

This is absolutely wrong. The file names remain the same, the changes are made to the master file table (NTFS).

CIPHER, yes... too much Matrix for me, sorry.

23-10-2007, 09:57
This is absolutely wrong. The file names remain the same, the changes are made to the master file table (NTFS).

It is exactly what I wrote :) Wiping a disk does not touch the file table (NTFS or FAT). After wiping, a table editor will still show the file names (Files that were wiped). That can give indications about what was on the disk, that is why to secure a bit more, we must also delete these file names, and for this we need another software that will write for example "0" for each character of the name of every deleted (wiped) files.

Fantastika
23-10-2007, 21:20
Fantastika's Twenty-Step Process to Delete Files on a Hard Disk for Good:

1) Do the low-level format.
2) Open the computer and remove the hard disk.
3) Go to the elevator with your hard disk and ride to the top floor of your apartment building (the higher, the better).
4) Climb the stairs to the roof and, leaning over the edge, drop the hard disk to the ground (make sure there are no pedestrians beneath).
5) Go back down to the ground and recover the hard disk.
6) Cover the disk with watered-down dog meal and sit on the apartment porch. Sooner or later some dogs will come along and try to eat it, but they will probably give up. Anyway, their teeth should put a few more dents into it.
7) After the dogs give up, take the hard disk out into the street and place it on the rails of a tramvei track.
8) After four tramvei's have run over it, take it to the amusement park, and ask the attendant at the shooting gallery arcade if he will use it as a target. Tell him it's a Microsoft HD and he will be glad to oblige.
9) Buy a small can of gasoline and some matches, and, still in the park, slosh it with the gas, and set it on fire.
10) After it stops burning, get some big, tall ladies with the stiletto heels to stomp on it a few times. Tell them the hard disk belonged to a male chauvinist.
11) Get some sulfuric or hydrochloric acid (careful, even the fumes are noxious) and pour it slowly over the remains. If anyone asks what you are doing, tell them you are "helping the environment."
12) Using gloves, pick it up and take it out onto the main highway, and, avoiding speeding cars, place it in the lane where most of the heavy trucks go. Look for a highway with lots of roadkill.
13) After it has been run over several times, draw a hexagram around it, and walk around it 7 times, chanting "ksid drah."
14) When the devil appears, tell him you are offering him a gift.
15) If you don't offer him something in return, he may leave.
16) If the disk is still there, call the police (or the army) and report a "suspicious object" in the highway, and ask them to bring the bomb squad. Don't wait for them. If it is typical police they will shoot it with heavy calibar weapons.
17) If you get tired of waiting 2 hours for the police to show up, go to the hardware store and buy a hammer and take the disk back to the park. Give it a few loud blows. If a few late-night drunks hear the commotion and want to know what you are doing, tell them they can help.
18) Put the remains into a small urn.
19) Book a flight to Manila, (if airport security asks you about the urn, look sad and tell them it is your beloved Aunt's ashes). Once in the Philippines, rent a boat. These are very cheap to rent, including pilot and small crew.
20) When you are over the Marianas Trench (deepest place in the world), get some rope and tie the urn to a bag of cement. Drop the cement bag and urn overboard.

And now, hopefully, the files are deleted...

Fantastika
23-10-2007, 23:40
What, nobody thought that was funny? No reply? Guess I better stick to writing horror...

THIS IS THE POLICE!

HANDS IN THE AIR, WHERE WE CAN SEE THEM! HANDS AWAY FROM THAT MOUSE!

STEP AWAY FROM THAT COMPUTER!

GO OUTSIDE! LOOK AT THINGS! LOOK AT TREES, OTHER PEOPLE, CARS, BUILDINGS, THE SKY...

NO, YOU MAY NOT GO TO PRAGMA, OR M-VIDEO, OR EL-DORADO!

Rustralian
24-10-2007, 04:21
Twas very funny - even at 4:16am :jester: :thumbsup: