PDA

View Full Version : Muscovites to Help With Names for New Metro Stations

Probe
19-06-2012, 13:32
Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin will let Muscovites participate in the selection of names for the 70 new metro stations planned in the next few years, Deputy Mayor Marat Khusnullin said.

City residents will be able to vote for names on a special website dedicated to the purpose, Khusnullin said during an interview with TV station Moskva-24.

Metro station and street names are currently selected from proposals by the city's interdepartmental commission for naming, but their decisions sometimes cause objections from the public.

In one case, residents of the Bratveyevo neighborhood have spoken up against plans for a new station to be named Alma-Atinskaya after the former Kazakh capital.

Khusnullin also commented on the speed of construction, saying this year 8.5 kilometers of new track will enter service, including the new Novokosino, Pyatnitskaya and Alma-Atinskaya stations.

Ambitious plans to add 70 stations and 150 kilometers of new metro track by 2020 were announced in April, an expansion that will include five new stations in the city center and a second ring line.

Article here http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/muscovites-to-help-with-names-for-new-metro-stations/460606.html

Tony P
19-06-2012, 14:01
I hope they do not make up new names where new lines connect with existing stations on other lines but use the name on the other line.

I still find it hugely annoying that (say) there are four names for the station where Red, Grey and both Blue lines intersect

FatAndy
19-06-2012, 14:09
Well, I like both names - Brateevo and Alma-Atinskaya. But from the common sense it's better to take in account the opinion of those people who live there.

Tony, logically you seem to be right, but different names have appeared historically. Hope in the future there will be more common sense.

Tony P
19-06-2012, 14:45
I wonder what was the response by the residents (are there any?) of Мякинино ?

I heard there was a substantial request (ie. offer?) by the Крокус-Сити people for it to be called just that. But it was not to be.

PeteD
19-06-2012, 15:18
Well, I like both names - Brateevo and Alma-Atinskaya. But from the common sense it's better to take in account the opinion of those people who live there.

Tony, logically you seem to be right, but different names have appeared historically. Hope in the future there will be more common sense.

This metro station is being built outside our apartment - 30 seconds away.... It was originally planned to open in 2004, which is why my wife bought our apartment here. Some of the work had been done, but it was left for many years because funding had run out, or been "diverted". 2 years ago - around Christmas / New Year 2009, there was a huge explosion and fire in the, as yet uncompleted metro station. The fire department spent most of the night putting out the fire and, eventually, demolished what was left of the infrastructure, presumably, because it was no longer safe.

Last year we read that it was going to be rebuilt, and would be named Brateevo, scheduled for completion in Q4, 2012.

We subsequently heard that it was going to be renamed.

I think that many of the residents around here have had their hopes raised and dashed, many times, over this station and the consensus seems to be that the locals aren't consulted over anything (probably no different than anywhere else!).

This is why there have been objections to the new naming.

I will just be glad when it opens!

Benedikt
19-06-2012, 17:11
I wonder what was the response by the residents (are there any?) of Мякинино ?

I heard there was a substantial request (ie. offer?) by the Крокус-Сити people for it to be called just that. But it was not to be.

but because it is over the MKAT belongs to MO. And all the taxes go there. So the metro Chief was only spiteful.On order of Yuri Michaelovich our then mayor.
Never mind the Metro station there is the first one that was paid for by a private entrepreneur. (the owner of krokus Expo/Concerthall wanted a station there to get propel there and then out again.)
It took them over 5 years to get permission to build an off and on ramp from the highway(Remember Khimki?).
Unfortunately this is a big problem in Moscow. Business is building huge shopping centers and the like, but the infrastructure is left for the City to develop afterwards. And there is not always space. Never mind that many a shopping -paradise- should not have been built in the first place.

MAYBE THINGS WILL BE BETTER WHEN SHOGUI WILL BE BOSS IN MOSCOW.
The town is expanding in big ways. And i have the feeling, since it was a news item anyway, in a few years time there will be no more Moscow and Moscow Oblast. Just a Greater Moscow and Shogui at the helm.
So far I have nor seen much change with our new Mayor.

Seraskier
19-06-2012, 17:19
They're following the old maxim of Henry Ford.

You can have any name, provided it's "Putin".

Sobyanin is a ridiculous puppet with his strings pulled by Vova.

Not even a Muscovite himself.

FatAndy
19-06-2012, 19:19
Not even a Muscovite himself.
In Soviet times there was Mosgorispolkom (Moscow city executive commitee) chairman V. F. Promyslov, he was at this position for 22 years (1963-1985), third in the length of time period after dukes V. A. Dolgorukov (for 26 years, 1865-1891) and D. V. Golitsyn (for 24 years, 1820-1844).
Between them, only duke Dolgorukov was born in Moscow, while duke Golitsyn - under Volokolamsk, and peasant Promyslov - under Kolomna (though both in Moscow region).

Benedikt
19-06-2012, 19:29
In Soviet times there was Mosgorispolkom (Moscow city executive commitee) chairman V. F. Promyslov, he was at this position for 22 years (1963-1985), third in the length of time period after dukes V. A. Dolgorukov (for 26 years, 1865-1891) and D. V. Golitsyn (for 24 years, 1820-1844).
Between them, only duke Dolgorukov was born in Moscow, while duke Golitsyn - under Volokolamsk, and peasant Promyslov - under Kolomna (though both in Moscow region).

1 in 10 I believe.;)

Korotky Gennady
19-06-2012, 19:31
Moscow Mayor Sergei Sobyanin will let Muscovites participate in the selection of names for the 70 new metro stations planned in the next few years
My contribution.

Putin Rasha metrostation. Gazpromovskay. Happy Russian Future. Medvedevskey washout. Great Russia transfer centre. KGBeshnay orthodox metro line.

ezik
19-06-2012, 19:35
I vote for a metro station called Expat.ru

We have done more to integrate foreigners and Russians than any other state body.

We deserve our metro station.

FatAndy
19-06-2012, 19:43
1 in 10 I believe.;)
Maybe up to 20%. But who cares? Capital was always collecting brains and hands from whole country, for ages (Kiev-Vladimir-Moscow-SPb-Moscow).

NotMe
19-06-2012, 20:59
I would suggest "Radostnaya" from a word "Radost' "! :p

Judge
19-06-2012, 22:15
You can have any name, provided it's "Putin".

Now that's a fantastic idea....Putinskaya....it's got a nice ring to it..:thumbsup:

martpark
19-06-2012, 23:18
Vodka Stadion? Sushiskaya? Kosmokramerskaya? Bender Embankment? Khimki Lec?

Nobbynumbnuts
20-06-2012, 02:02
My contribution.

Putin Rasha metrostation. Gazpromovskay. Happy Russian Future. Medvedevskey washout. Great Russia transfer centre. KGBeshnay orthodox metro line.

Putinskaya has a nice ring to it.......

Tony P
20-06-2012, 02:35
How about "BabyGirlskya"?

It will give the expression 'Going down the metro' a whole new meaning and attraction.

But the line will have to be pink.

Seraskier
20-06-2012, 09:58

You already got it. It's a horrible underground place on Novoslobodskaya.

Trains start arriving there in 2016. Your pizza order will arrive in 2018.

Ibanez
20-06-2012, 11:22
I vote for a metro station called Expat.ru

We have done more to integrate foreigners and Russians than any other state body.

Or name them after individual members...the 'Ezik' station or 'Fat Andy' station has a certain ring to it :nut: