PDA

View Full Version : safe in Moscow?

frederick589
09-06-2012, 01:26
What about security on Moscow streets?

Tony P
09-06-2012, 02:45

Safer than London in my view after 8 years here.
There are areas of London I am not happy about being in even during the day - and I lived there for over 40 years.

At night, take normal precautions - keep to busier areas, lit streets, avoid shadows - don't carry bags/cameras/etc - don't be flash (leave that to the experts, the nouveau riche Russians) - dont look like a target.

Benedikt
09-06-2012, 07:12

i am here over 20 years, working mostly late in then night and going home also late at night.i never have been threatened, attacked, robbed or felt in any way unsafe( when my bag was sliced it was in bright daylight in the Metro with people around me and i did not even notice it).
maybe a few tips..
Moscow has misfits like any other town and city, I was told in New York at 5 pm in the afternoon, don't leave the main roads in central park and venture further in alone.
We will always stick out as foreigners, so don't do anything to attract unneeded extra attention. Some cretin still might think EVERY foreigner has a fat wallet, blackberry or expensive mobile telephone.
when going out, don't take wads of cash with you and flash them around.
when not quite sober any more, don't WALK home, take a reliable TAXI.
I personally never take my passport with me. it is a hassle to replace all the papers. A good color copy will do. ( Not at the bank though, they always ask for my passport, never mind i am a client there since the bank opened..).When changing money, maybe a bigger sum, don't use the exchange boots, rather be safe, have a few rubles less and go to a bank.
have photo copies of all your documents,credit cards,drivers license and the like. Should something get -lost- makes it much easier to replace.
NEVER hang your jacket over a chair ( restaurant/fastfood/bar) with money or documents in the inside pockets. Invitation for the no goods at the best of times.And if/when it happens, forget the cops or argue with management. FIRST thing call your credit card company, if you don't notice it when it is to late already.
Otherwise, enjoy life here,Moscow is a great town with great and not so great people, like in my home town Vienna...

penka
09-06-2012, 08:24
I don't feel excessively safe here, though on some cerebral level I understand that Moscow in no more dangerous than any other large (well, very large) city. Waving a car off the street in the middle of the night, especially when unsober and alone or moving in the tube during the rush hour with the 4G popping out of your jeans pocket is not wise. Neither is flashing your bling. It's more about common sense and perhaps, a little extra.

Crossing the streets, even the one way streets, even on a green light should be done with extra care, as one is usually viewed as an annoying obstacle on a road and not a humble pedestrian.

And beware currency exchange points at touristy places, such as Arbat str.

penka
09-06-2012, 08:27
And avoid using ATM machines on the street, it's safer to walk into a bank office.

Swordfish90293
09-06-2012, 12:15
I don't feel safe anywhere...especially here. That's why I've had extra locks installed on my steel plate front door, and stay behind it securely locked at all times. I'm on the top floor, and have shatter proof security plexiglass installed in double pane, triple lock windows. The curtains never open and the lights are on at all times. My food is always delivered and tasted my my live-in maid, who I keep chained to her bed with only enough slack to move about the flat. I keep a suicide pill in a quick release amulet around my neck in case of emergency I need a quick exit...

penka
09-06-2012, 13:29
Swordfish your maid must have one bloody long chain to fetch your food, haha! Omg, is she Russian?!

antfidel
09-06-2012, 13:44
aside from some dude getting shot outside of my apartment yesterday i feel perfectly safe.

the trick is to never admit to being an american.

tvadim133
09-06-2012, 13:46
aside from some dude getting shot outside of my apartment yesterday i feel perfectly safe.

the trick is to never admit to being an american.

was that dude american?

antfidel
09-06-2012, 13:48
was that dude american?

god willing

andymackem
09-06-2012, 14:40
Would echo most of the above. It's a big city. Therefore big city rules (and risks) apply. If you want trouble, you can find it in a heartbeat. If you're sensible, and have some social skills, you'll be laughing.

The only thing which gives me occasional pause for thought is my ability or otherwise to get help - language barrier (not insurmountable, but gets higher when I'm upset about something and stop thinking straight) and a (perceived, rather than tried and tested) lack of interest / competence on behalf of the emergency services. In general, though, six years here and no serious issue yet. Touch wood.

BabyFirefly
09-06-2012, 16:44
I've been through some crap, but it's been very late at night. Nothing exceptionally scary except the high a-holes who threw something at my hubby and myself that exploded. It landed some feet away from us so it didn't hit us, but, yeah, not a great experience.

I've seen skinheads, but they fall in the category of "idiot teenagers looking for a cause to be pissed off at" rather than anything truly scary.

Generally it's normal... avoid drunken/drugged out people at night. Don't show off your wealth, or anything that might make it seem like you have wealth. Don't be rude or an obnoxious tourist. If you're still ignorant of the city I suggest not getting real wasted in bars alone yet.

On a very specific, strange note, if you're a woman, don't wear shirts that show off your "talents". You'll get harassed/followed a lot for it. Nobody reacts that way anywhere else I've been, except for those Lebanese/whatever they were guys in Sydney.

But hell, I'm more afraid of the rats here than anything else. And the winters, specifically late December-January. That is one experience I am not willing to go through again.

natlee
09-06-2012, 19:10
Had a guy grab my a$$ in the metro yesterday - at 7:45 pm. Was wearing jeans and a sweater. Hardly scary but very unpleasant.

Gutterball
09-06-2012, 20:01
Had a guy grab my a$$ in the metro yesterday - at 7:45 pm. Was wearing jeans and a sweater. Hardly scary but very unpleasant.

If it makes you feel any better I had a guy on a crowded bus keep pressing his you know what against the side of my a$$. When I looked at him he had a little smirk on his face. It was a long time ago and I didn't speak Russian well enough to start something with him.

I think that kind of thing happens more in the morning than at night though.

LondonYvonne
09-06-2012, 22:18
I was walking near Begovaya in the middle of the day a few weeks ago. There were a lot of cars but no other pedestrians and a man approached me. It was obvious there was something wrong with him and I crossed the road as quickly as I could. Another man also appeared, trying to lead the first one away (his friend). The scary thing was, I noticed that around his wrist he had attached a kind of circular blade, like a mini chainsaw.

Russian Lad
09-06-2012, 22:32
If it makes you feel any better I had a guy on a crowded bus keep pressing his you know what against the side of my a$$. When I looked at him he had a little smirk on his face. It was a long time ago and I didn't speak Russian well enough to start something with him.

I am jealous, no girls are trying to press anything against my vital anatomy parts when I use public transportation.:((

tvadim133
10-06-2012, 01:51

Can you, please, tell us what exactly you wanted to start with him, if you spoke Russian? :)

Babygirl
10-06-2012, 01:56
If to compare 2 big cities I lived in -- New York and Moscow.

Definitely I felt safer in New York , even tho it*S one of the unsafest cities on the planet.

natlee
10-06-2012, 01:57
Can you, please, tell us what exactly you wanted to start with him, if you spoke Russian? :) Please note that I resisted! :D

tvadim133
10-06-2012, 02:04
Please note that I resisted! :D

Done.

Gutterball
10-06-2012, 03:05
I am jealous, no girls are trying to press anything against my vital anatomy parts when I use public transportation.:((

Girls I don't mind, because you see I'm a guy and he was, I think gay. Now I think I know what unwanted sexual touching feels like.

Gutterball
10-06-2012, 03:11
Can you, please, tell us what exactly you wanted to start with him, if you spoke Russian? :)

A fight or argument, at first I thought the bus is just jammed packed but when I saw his face I knew he was trying to do it like that.

tvadim133
10-06-2012, 22:41
Gutterball, now I see!

Moscow is really very dangarous from this point of view (too many gays in buses and metro)! :)

P.S. Not fighting! Just joking! :) :) :) :)