PDA

View Full Version : Calling All Teachers. Please Say Hello

Bels
11-10-2007, 22:51
I have been active on Expat for about four years. I have this feeling that there are less teachers around in Moscow if Expat activity has anything to go by. I feel sure I was communicating with a lot more over the previous years
Or has the copy-cat RU site taken half of them? I don't think so, it seems even queiter over there. Isn't it so boring there:doh:

Is this because visas are putting them off? Or is it that less teachers choose to respond in forums? What do you think.

What I ask is that all you EFL teachers do is say Hello! on this thread and let us know your Nationality. Russian, British, American, New Zealander etc.

And then we will build up from there.

smchilds
12-10-2007, 00:06
Hi. I am teaching English in Moscow. I've been here 2 years. I am from the USA.

cheriedeperth
12-10-2007, 01:12
Hi, I'm teaching English in Moscow, too. I only know one other English teacher from my school who frequents this forum. I don't often post here (or anywhere else), but I lurk a lot :)
I'm Australian.

Cheriedeperth

leelee
12-10-2007, 08:10
Hi been teaching English for 5 years, but alas not in Moscow, I am in Rostov On Don way down south and I am from the IK

Lee :thumbsup:

Bels
12-10-2007, 11:26
Thanks every one, it's a great st start. Two Brits, one American, and one Australian. A nice combination.

MissX
12-10-2007, 12:43
Hi everybody,
I'm Russian and I've been teaching this wonderful language for 4 years :-) I've been on expat.ru for about 6 months and I've got several really cool students from here!!! :thumbsup:

-Maria

Bels
12-10-2007, 19:53
The above post has reminded me. I forgot to mention, as well as EFL teachers of all nationalities are welcome, so are Russian teachers teaching Russian as a foreign language. Could that be classified as TRFL or TRSL by the way. :agree: ?

Bels
12-10-2007, 19:55
Hi, I'm teaching English in Moscow, too. I only know one other English teacher from my school who frequents this forum. I don't often post here (or anywhere else), but I lurk a lot :)
I'm Australian.

Cheriedeperth

Why not encourage the others to join when you can. The more the merrier.:thumbsup:

Bels
12-10-2007, 19:57
We now have five teachers, thats a good start within 24 hours.

cheriedeperth
12-10-2007, 23:33
Why not encourage the others to join when you can. The more the merrier.:thumbsup:

I'll see what I can do !!

:)

Billie Bob
13-10-2007, 02:19
I personally know 8 english teachers, and not one of them is on this or that other site...

I'd say, there are plenty out there, and its probably strong enough to somehow unite :)

Bels
13-10-2007, 10:42
I personally know 8 english teachers, and not one of them is on this or that other site...

I'd say, there are plenty out there, and its probably strong enough to somehow unite :)

Yes heard this one before with many of them who have gone now, or left the British Council here to join them in Spain for example.

But how many do you know who will still be here by next year, However let's continue grouping, are there any more out there?

Yes and I would love to hear especially from the ones who are here to stay and have or intend to have a residential visa. Of course giving you the freedom to work as and where you please or be self employed.

Cley
13-10-2007, 15:53
Hey hi, count me in..I'm from the Philippines and i'm an EFL teacher here in Russia :)

Bels
13-10-2007, 19:56
Well, that's six now. As you can see us TEFLSs and possibly TRFLs come in many nationalities. Excuse my Naivity, but am I right in saying that those in Phillipines have English as their first language. And just an extra thought is the Hawian language extinct from Captain Cook's days?

th&vk
13-10-2007, 20:07
I'm a US American. Teaching ESL/EFL for about 7 years, about half of that here. Plan to stay.

Bels
13-10-2007, 20:21
I'm a US American. Teaching ESL/EFL for about 7 years, about half of that here. Plan to stay.

Welcome. Without being too personal on a forum. Any reasons, girlfriend? wife? Or you simply think its a great country?

Me personally, I'm getting to like the close way of family life in Russia. UK seems to feel so racy by comparison

Bels
14-10-2007, 15:09
One idea of us getting together could be to collect basic information of each other in one space. For example areas that is convenient for you to teach privately. I'm sure no one likes to travel all over Moscow and would rather have their prospective students close to their residential area.

I myself am only intersted in an area about 20km west of Moscow. But there has been occasions when prospective students have asked me to recommend someone more convenient for their are, as I am too far away for them.

A nearest region or Metro would be fine, plus the age groups and levels you wish to teach. Any specialities, such as TOEFL or IELTS exam preparation. My special area is children and teenagers for example. I have much more of them than adults. That was just by chance, because that's the main response I got.

So if you ar interested you could pm me if you wish. This information could be collected together and then a thread could be made in the lessons section advertising teachers available in an area convenient to the student.

This is just a wild idea for the moment, what do you think. Can any one expand on this idea.

th&vk
15-10-2007, 13:17
Welcome. Without being too personal on a forum. Any reasons, girlfriend? wife? Or you simply think its a great country?

Me personally, I'm getting to like the close way of family life in Russia. UK seems to feel so racy by comparison

Not too personal ... My husband is Russian - over the past fourteen we've lived both in the States and here, and for now, we're here - largely because he has family from a first marriage here and I've lived abroad so long now that I'm not sure where home is anymore ...

th&vk
15-10-2007, 13:26
This information could be collected together and then a thread could be made in the lessons section advertising teachers available in an area convenient to the student.

This is just a wild idea for the moment, what do you think. Can any one expand on this idea.

I love the idea of a cooperative listing by area and/or specialty - I don't have any other ideas to contribute, but will put my mind to it ... but you can count me in ...

Cley
15-10-2007, 18:41
yes, english is one of our official language.. the other one is Tagalog.

spudorata
15-10-2007, 19:17
I started working on my own, and set up my own language club (for Russian students studying English). It's not easy of course, first of all because of the money. But it's very exciting. I have to do everything: lessons, marketing, PR, design of the business cards, finance, but I'm loving it. So far I haven't got a lot of students, but somehow information about my club appeared in Komsomol'skaya Pravda (Volgograd edition) and now my club is quite famous, so wish me luck. And if you happen to be in Volgograd call in! :)

ezik
15-10-2007, 19:40
One idea of us getting together could be to collect basic information of each other in one space. For example areas that is convenient for you to teach privately. I'm sure no one likes to travel all over Moscow and would rather have their prospective students close to their residential area.

I myself am only intersted in an area about 20km west of Moscow. But there has been occasions when prospective students have asked me to recommend someone more convenient for their are, as I am too far away for them.

A nearest region or Metro would be fine, plus the age groups and levels you wish to teach. Any specialities, such as TOEFL or IELTS exam preparation. My special area is children and teenagers for example. I have much more of them than adults. That was just by chance, because that's the main response I got.

So if you ar interested you could pm me if you wish. This information could be collected together and then a thread could be made in the lessons section advertising teachers available in an area convenient to the student.

I like the idea of having this area/teacher/student combination posted. Please remain adviced that (on behalf of this site), I'm happy to offer assistence if needed.

Bels
15-10-2007, 19:59
Not too personal ... My husband is Russian - over the past fourteen we've lived both in the States and here, and for now, we're here - largely because he has family from a first marriage here and I've lived abroad so long now that I'm not sure where home is anymore ...

Understood. I think you will find that for those teachers who have been here a while and intend staying for some time are often married to a Russian. Same as me

Bels
15-10-2007, 22:40
I like the idea of having this area/teacher/student combination posted. Please remain adviced that (on behalf of this site), I'm happy to offer assistence if needed.

Thanks for your interest, much appreciated.

First of all for the moment I simply want us to keep grouping in this folder. I am particularaly interested in the ones who plan to stay, and those who have been here for years, those who who are married to Russian English speaking and supportive spouses, and last but not least Russian teachers. This is the strength core who will be able to help the rest.

Please keep communicating and give us your thoughts and opinions.

Bels
15-10-2007, 22:43
I started working on my own, and set up my own language club (for Russian students studying English). It's not easy of course, first of all because of the money. But it's very exciting. I have to do everything: lessons, marketing, PR, design of the business cards, finance, but I'm loving it. So far I haven't got a lot of students, but somehow information about my club appeared in Komsomol'skaya Pravda (Volgograd edition) and now my club is quite famous, so wish me luck. And if you happen to be in Volgograd call in! :)

I do sincerely wish you luck. Please keep us posted and contribute to this folder when you can. I myself will contribute to anything you will have to say or ask.

Bels
16-10-2007, 21:28

Yes please help us united. The United teachers of Russia. And perhaps in the future we won't need third parties.

Littlekix
17-10-2007, 14:50
Howdy,

I'm presently in the UK, but will be high-tailing to Moscow this coming winter to swell the ranks of English teachers there. Am i a little premature in joining this thread?

It's so nice to find such a community online, as i admit to fraught nerves at the prospect of leaping in at the deep end. Any advice on lie as a teacher- from people actualy living the dream- would be most gratefully accepted...

Take care, you guys and gals!

unteacher
17-10-2007, 15:51

There`s a student at Tushinskaja station.I have no details but mobile.It semms she`s intrested in having lessons with a Russian speaking teacher.PM if intrested

Bels
17-10-2007, 23:07
There`s a student at Tushinskaja station.I have no details but mobile.It semms she`s intrested in having lessons with a Russian speaking teacher.PM if intrested

It's a start. If any teachers are close to this location then please respond. It would be nice to eventually to have a sticky on the lessons section recommending a teacher local to the student. Just one of my ambitions, and what do you think?

Bels
07-08-2008, 22:36
As September is coming soon I want to reliven this thread. Who of you are still here? And who of you are new coming here for September. Please say Hello, as the new wave of teachers arrive for the peak month of September, and the month I always look forward to. Why?? Because I'm busier than ever again. Especially after August,m the slackest month of the year for a self employed teacher in Moscow.

honesty
07-08-2008, 23:09
WOW ! English teachers ! Doesn't anybody want to practice with me my spoken English in return to teach you Russian, Ararbic and Turkish ? :) I'm Russian by the way ...:)

Bels
07-08-2008, 23:13
WOW ! English teachers ! Doesn't anybody want to practice with me my spoken English in return to teach you Russian, Ararbic and Turkish ? :) I'm Russian by the way ...:)

Why not try our teacher's directory. I'm sure there will be a teacher in your area, who may well give you a reasonable offer.

honesty
07-08-2008, 23:16
Well, Bels, I follow all the language exchange offers, so far nobody interested...maybe I look at a wrong directory. Would kindly you lead me to the right direction ? I mean teachers direction ..lol

Bels
07-08-2008, 23:21
Try the sticky above the list of teacher's folder. Hopefully it will be updated with new teachers by mid September 2008.

But I don't think any of them will be interested in language exchange, as they need to work for a living and keep a family, that's their job.

Would you go to work for no money :)

honesty
07-08-2008, 23:28
Yeah I agree with you..to make ends meet in Moscow not easy. Actually I don't want lessons, I need just to talk and listen....different topics and issues....have a cup of tea somewhere in a public places....and if I teach them my languages from zero level, the explanation will be in English and agian benefit ....lol

nyinrussia
08-08-2008, 11:08
I am also an American teaching in Moscow as an English teacher.

Canadiantraveler
08-08-2008, 20:48
Hi everyone,

I will be arriving in Moscow in 3 weeks to start my first teaching job. I am Canadian.

I just wanted to comment about your remark, Bels, about teachers being put off about coming to Russia. I had a really hard time choosing a school as people on this forum and eslcafe were really negative about every school and about Russia in general. I stuck with it because my husband is Russian and wants to go home. I think that it is hard for people who want to come to Russia to decide with all the negativity, most of them probably end up in Korea. It was also hard to decide because a lot of you recommended the "McSchools" for beginners but for most people, the pay seems so inadequate but no one seems to trust the smaller schools. For me I ended up choosing an independent school because I have no need of accommodations and I knew what neighbourhood we wanted to live in and this was close.

I am looking forward to it though.

kapione
08-08-2008, 21:50
I have been teaching and loving teaching english here in Moscow for over 37months .
It has been the experience of a lifetime

Bels
08-08-2008, 22:12
Hi everyone,

I will be arriving in Moscow in 3 weeks to start my first teaching job. I am Canadian.

I just wanted to comment about your remark, Bels, about teachers being put off about coming to Russia. I had a really hard time choosing a school as people on this forum and eslcafe were really negative about every school and about Russia in general. I stuck with it because my husband is Russian and wants to go home. I think that it is hard for people who want to come to Russia to decide with all the negativity, most of them probably end up in Korea. It was also hard to decide because a lot of you recommended the "McSchools" for beginners but for most people, the pay seems so inadequate but no one seems to trust the smaller schools. For me I ended up choosing an independent school because I have no need of accommodations and I knew what neighbourhood we wanted to live in and this was close.

I am looking forward to it though.

Good choice, but I wouldn't classify you as a newbie, as you explained you do have some advantages as against those individuals coming here for the first time.

Hopefully your visa and work permit matters have been sorted out with this small independant school. And soon you will find out that doing it privately will be more profitable.

And are you really getting paid more in comparison to those who are getting the whole package of travel, accomadation, and visa expenses?

Canadiantraveler
08-08-2008, 23:04
Good choice, but I wouldn't classify you as a newbie, as you explained you do have some advantages as against those individuals coming here for the first time.

Hopefully your visa and work permit matters have been sorted out with this small independant school. And soon you will find out that doing it privately will be more profitable.

And are you really getting paid more in comparison to those who are getting the whole package of travel, accomadation, and visa expenses?

Well they are taking care of the visa. I compared the packages to the other offers I received and this school was on the higher end even without accomodation (which I don't need anyway) and travel. I think the thing that sold me too was that they seemed more willing to take time to help me learn to teach then one of the other "Mcschools" that offered a similar package but was just going to start me off in front of a class the day I got there. This school is going to spend a few days with me getting me confortable and helping me with lesson plans. Also I got an apartment in walking distance so the fact that I don't have to take the subway to work wins out over all.:verycool:

Bels
08-08-2008, 23:11
But will you have a work permit? and will you be able to stay in Russia more than 90 days, and not stay out of the country for 90 days?

However, welcome to Russia, and I hope you do well. Please keep in touch and let us know how you experience your work and Russia.

Many of us are in the same boat as you, like me we have Russian spouses, and I couldn't have survived in Russia without mine. Good luck in your venture.

Bels
08-08-2008, 23:15
None of us here, either in expat or in eslcafe are exagerrating about the rising inflation in Russia or about the increasing problems we are having with redtape here, including visas and work permits.

Canadiantraveler
09-08-2008, 00:03
But will you have a work permit? and will you be able to stay in Russia more than 90 days, and not stay out of the country for 90 days?

However, welcome to Russia, and I hope you do well. Please keep in touch and let us know how you experience your work and Russia.

Many of us are in the same boat as you, like me we have Russian spouses, and I couldn't have survived in Russia without mine. Good luck in your venture.

They gave me a 90 day work permit to start. The consulate assured me that it is not a Business Visa but definitely a work permit. The school said they will give me a one year once I get here. A couple of the other schools I spoke to seemed to be doing it this way too. I assume this is because they don't want to be responsible for you if you don't stay in the job or don't work out? We plan to apply for the TRP farely soon though. I faithfully read all the post on here about applying for that. I am glad that everyone is sharing there experiences because at least I have an idea what to expect and even if it will be difficult it can be done.

It is going to be a big role reversal relying on my Russian spouse. Usually it is my filling out all the forms. LOL

I do appriciate the help I have gotten on expat.ru so far.

Bels
09-08-2008, 00:10
They gave me a 90 day work permit to start. The consulate assured me that it is not a Business Visa but definitely a work permit. The school said they will give me a one year once I get here. A couple of the other schools I spoke to seemed to be doing it this way too. I assume this is because they don't want to be responsible for you if you don't stay in the job or don't work out? We plan to apply for the TRP farely soon though. I faithfully read all the post on here about applying for that. I am glad that everyone is sharing there experiences because at least I have an idea what to expect and even if it will be difficult it can be done.

It is going to be a big role reversal relying on my Russian spouse. Usually it is my filling out all the forms. LOL

I do appriciate the help I have gotten on expat.ru so far.

Yes! that sounds about right, you will get work permit I feel sure of that now.
I had to ask, because some schools don't have the right to employ foreigners, but they do.

Yes I certainly needed the help of my wife to get my temporary residency, and I couldn't have done it myself.

Gypsy
09-08-2008, 12:15
I have been active on Expat for about four years. I have this feeling that there are less FEWER; ffs you are supposed to be an english teacher
teachers around in Moscow if Expat activity has anything to go by. I feel sure I was communicating with a lot more over the previous years "In previous years" or "over the last few years"

Or has the copy-cat RU site taken half of them? I don't think so, it seems even queiter quieter; I before E except after C;
over there. Isn't it so boring there:doh: well you were the one who wanted to join and begged them to make you their dedicated english teacher.

Is this because visas are putting them off? Or is it that less teachers FEWER!
choose to respond in forums? What do you think.

What I ask is that all you EFL teachers do is say Hello! on this thread and let us know your Nationality. Russian, British, American, New Zealander etc.

And then we will build up from there.

wren
19-09-2008, 14:04
Hi, I'm an English teacher in Moscow. I've been teaching here for six months now. I learned about the ex-pat site just before moving here, but was reluctant to join or get involved. Can't say why, I just was. But here I am now.

Salix
24-09-2008, 04:48
Hi all,
I'm a brit planning to start teaching in Moscow in a month's time. I have read this forum and a well-known teaching with interest. I was surprised by all the negativity about the "Mcschools". After reading hundreds of posts about Moscow and teaching there, I'm starting to get the picture.
I'm still planning to go and I have signed a contract, and started the visa process.
I've been teaching in Peru for 5 years, and I'm certainly no backpacker just passing through. Most people seem to agree that the well-known schools are a good starting point.
Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum, and I hope to meet some fellow teachers and expats when I get to Moscow.

Rika
24-09-2008, 13:11
Hey there! Do you people know some German teachers in Moscow???!!!:10220:

mosaikmum
03-10-2008, 16:49
Better late than never! Hello! I'm just new to the forum and have only just read your post. I'm so excited to find there is some place to find answers to my questions about teaching english in Moscow. I'm not there yet, but hope to be soon! Hope some of you will still around when I get there.

Bels
03-10-2008, 23:54
Better late than never! Hello! I'm just new to the forum and have only just read your post. I'm so excited to find there is some place to find answers to my questions about teaching english in Moscow. I'm not there yet, but hope to be soon! Hope some of you will still around when I get there.here

I'm sure there will be many to answer your questions. What do do you want to know?

Bels
03-10-2008, 23:55
Hey there! Do you people know some German teachers in Moscow???!!!:10220:

I have seen them advertising occasionaly, so yes! Please respond German teachers.

Bels
04-10-2008, 00:11
Hi all,
I'm a brit planning to start teaching in Moscow in a month's time. I have read this forum and a well-known teaching with interest. I was surprised by all the negativity about the "Mcschools". After reading hundreds of posts about Moscow and teaching there, I'm starting to get the picture.
I'm still planning to go and I have signed a contract, and started the visa process.
I've been teaching in Peru for 5 years, and I'm certainly no backpacker just passing through. Most people seem to agree that the well-known schools are a good starting point.
Anyway, I'm glad to have found this forum, and I hope to meet some fellow teachers and expats when I get to Moscow.

Just my opinion, but the Mac schools as we put it , are your best start as a newbie to Russia. They are secure, but unfortunately they don't realise the rising costs in Russia, in comparison to the income they offer. Even with
the offer of shared accommadation, the income is now way too low for survival in Russia. The only ones that got it got it right dor teachers was the British Council, but unfortunately due to political problems they are no longer here.

So sorry teachers, unless these schools realise that they have to raise their fees and raise ther salaries , we do have a big problem.

The acceptable and marketable rate for a private teacher is between 1500 and 2000 roubles per academic hour. Group or one to one. I get it !!

pjw
04-10-2008, 00:22
Hi Bels. But surely the schools are very sensitive to this situation too. Surely the schools know who the good teachers are, who can do a good course and who can, as a result, make the school successful. The schools then ask the companies on a basis of what the best teachers - cowboys, cowgirls - are demanding. This shall surely raise the salaries of the good ones who can deliver the goods. I'm in Germany, I know, but I ask for a raise all the time, last time I asked for 35 instead of 25. If they don't wanna, neither do I. :punk:

michigan
07-10-2008, 06:14
What about people who are thinking about becoming English teachers? Is there a good place for them to post? I have even been offered a job. But the pay seems horrible. That's all that's holding me back.

Bels
07-10-2008, 22:38
By all means they can post here if they have good offers, but unfortunately you are right, there are no good offers. You often get good offers around September, October, and November times when you have already developed a good clientele and reputation in your area. Yes! Just the time when you don't need them. In fact some of them are so desparate that they say "Name your price" And you still refuse them, because you are fully booked during the busy winter period. And you have no intentions of travelling far in winter, when you can walk to each of your customers within your area. Or that they might provide you with their drivers,if in a 5km radios of your location.

The schools cannot compete with a good teacher, who has a good local reputation.

Also a good idea are those with enquiries about one to one to one lessons, which they decide the fees are too expensive for them. is to suggest they find some friends to make a small group for the same price, this idea works very well and I have now many groups of I visit in one of their flats or houses. It works very well.

jeffpv
10-10-2008, 11:31
Hi, I'm an American who teaches way out in Vladivostok. I also know the Filipino in the room. Hi Cley :-)

Miss G
14-10-2008, 16:46
My name is Natasha, I am British- Hi Everyone!

I have been teaching here for about 3 months, but have been feeling a little isolated, so its really cool to find so many expats teaching in Moscow!

Judge
15-10-2008, 00:03
My name is Natasha, I am British- Hi Everyone!

I have been teaching here for about 3 months, but have been feeling a little isolated, so its really cool to find so many expats teaching in Moscow!

Hi,welcome to the forum...
If you want to meet members from expat.ru,check out the link below

http://www.expat.ru/forum/local-events/108941-wednesday-night-mixer-jam-session.html

Bels
15-10-2008, 22:15
Hi, I'm an American who teaches way out in Vladivostok. I also know the Filipino in the room. Hi Cley :-)

Welcome, I have come across many nationalities in my classroom for EFL including Georgian many other ex soviet countries, , but not Filipino.:12035:

kazachka
24-11-2008, 17:49
I've been in Russia off and on since 1990. My stats are upstairs in the Teacher's Directory. I have 13+ years of experience teaching English and Russian as a foreign language. I am certified and have degrees in both, but teach English here in Moscow. I teach ALL ages ALL levels. This includes children 3 and up:)

Bels
26-11-2008, 23:19
I've been in Russia off and on since 1990. My stats are upstairs in the Teacher's Directory. I have 13+ years of experience teaching English and Russian as a foreign language. I am certified and have degrees in both, but teach English here in Moscow. I teach ALL ages ALL levels. This includes children 3 and up:)

I wish I were in your shoes, as I have had a vast amount of students asking about learning English in Mocow and even in Odentsova. The demand is big and unfortunately I have to refuse most of them.

I used to have state classrooms within a school, but unfortunately due to stupid redtape and wanting to be legal, I can't teach their anymore, and many parents of my students aRE ANGRY about this, but I can't do anything about it. What can I do? The western region want good affordable and we have these stupid barriers in the way. I have the demand , but that makes no difference.

We have tried renting privately, but it we couldn't afford the fees against what we could charge, it's ridiculous. and looking at the vendors standing their all day doing nothing for over a year, I wonder how they survive, when I would be extremely busy!!!!! Something is wrong somewhere.

We have looked into renting a seporate flat for renting, but unfortunately hard to find in the west, and when found , far too expensive to meet the costs, how on earth this area can be as expensive or in some cases more expensive than Moscow itself I don't know!!

OK I just have to put up with taking a few of my selected students in their own flats for the time being.

Bels
26-11-2008, 23:55

I wish I were in your shoes, as I have had a vast amount of students asking about learning English in Mocow and even in Odentsova. The demand is big and unfortunately I have to refuse most of them.

I used to have state classrooms within a school, but unfortunately due to stupid redtape and wanting to be legal, I can't teach their anymore, and many parents of my students aRE ANGRY about this, but I can't do anything about it. What can I do? The western region want good affordable and we have these stupid barriers in the way. I have the demand , but that makes no difference.

We have tried renting privately, but it we couldn't afford the fees against what we could charge, it's ridiculous. and looking at the vendors standing their all day doing nothing for over a year, I wonder how they survive, when I would be extremely busy!!!!! Something is wrong somewhere.

We have looked into renting a seporate flat for renting, but unfortunately hard to find in the west, and when found , far too expensive to meet the costs, how on earth this area can be as expensive or in some cases more expensive than Moscow itself I don't know!!

OK I just have to put up with taking a few of my selected students in their own flats for the time being.

mosaikmum
27-11-2008, 00:35
Howdy,

I'm presently in the UK, but will be high-tailing to Moscow this coming winter to swell the ranks of English teachers there. Am i a little premature in joining this thread?

It's so nice to find such a community online, as i admit to fraught nerves at the prospect of leaping in at the deep end. Any advice on lie as a teacher- from people actualy living the dream- would be most gratefully accepted...

Take care, you guys and gals!

I'm in the same boat as Littlekix; except that I don't know when I'll be able to get there :( ....I have a major problem....Bels mentioned "a supportive spouse".....thats a hurdle I'll have to get over.....I just want to "live the dream".

kazachka
27-11-2008, 12:51
Believe me- you do not want to be in my shoes now. The crisis is killing my business. I have lost some private students I have had for a long time because they have recently lost their jobs. Another was forced to eat a 20% paycut and came to my lesson in serious need of help with her resume as she now needs to find another job. Her mortgage is in dollars and she's screwed on that kind of a paycut. At work, things are slower than molasses. I actually advertised upstairs in lessons this week for the first time in over four years. To boot- the sh!t has hit the fan in full force in the off season and there are no races up in the Baltics I can do at the moment to compensate for the mess now. I have to wait til spring for that. If this keeps up, I'll be putting in for my old job back in Anchorage and back there by August. I just hope to hold out in the interim. I was here in 98 and I feel things will get much worse now before they even begin to get better. My tenured position back in Alaska with salary that does not depreciate daily is really looking d@mn good right now.

King Technoterri
01-12-2008, 12:42
Hi and hello Bels - "What I ask is that all you EFL teachers do is say Hello!" I'm married to an English Language Teacher who feels that she did not really know English until I started to help her. I'm British/English and I have helped her with pronounciation, shown her the British Council web-site, found english grammar web-sites and welcome her students, to help start their English conversation abilities. The other practice that has proved most helpful, is her reading out loud a daily chapter from a novel (in bed). This has been most helpful introducing new words and remiding of recently learnt words.

So I am a sort of English teacher. I have a number of online foreign internet contacts, who still frequently ask for help with expressing themselves. I have helped a number of foreign companies, express their web-site English versions more correctly.

So thanks for an opptunity to express myself

King Technoterri
01-12-2008, 12:51

Hi, hello and welcome fellow Newbie, its nice to know I'm not the only Englishman from Volgograd. My best wishes for your endeavours :fireworks:

Rob26
20-12-2008, 02:10
Hi, I am a new teacher and I'm just looking for a job in Moscow. :beerbros:

Bels
14-01-2009, 23:53
Try here Vacancies :: Moscow's virtual community for English speaking expats and Russians (http://expat.ru/vacancies.php) and also make a search in TEFL.com.

Looks like a lot of teachers don,t know this, but look at where the majority of EFL jobs are in TEFL.com. Right on your doorstep in the UK. In fact the EnglishUK authority in Britain is claiming that Britain takes 40% of the world's market in teaching English as a foreign or second language. And they pay more than double what the best pay in Russia, with a much higher standard of accomadation, close to where you work.

cowboy
20-01-2009, 10:50
Hello I am originally from America, but have been living and teaching English in Russia for 5 years.

Adamodeus
23-01-2009, 18:34
Do former teachers count? I got my RSA about 10 years ago. Used to teach English at Chulalongkorn University in Bangkok... Ah, those were the days...

Mud
26-01-2009, 23:15
Hi Bels and the rest of you Language Teachers.

I am from the US and have just been teaching for a couple of months now. I am with one of the local language schools/companies. I have the TEFL Certification. All of my students so far are Business professionals. At some point, I hope to be giving more private lessons (that seems to be where the money is) and to work with younger learners as well.

I appreciate the support which I have received from the Expat Forum and members. Thanks! Mud ;)

Mud
26-01-2009, 23:24
Hi Bels and the rest of you Language Teachers.

I am from the US and have just been teaching for a couple of months now. I am with one of the local language schools/companies. I have the TEFL Certification. All of my students so far are Business professionals. At some point, I hope to be giving more private lessons (that seems to be where the money is) and to work with younger learners as well.

I appreciate the support which I have received from the Expat Forum and members. Thanks! Mud ;)

Darya1
04-09-2009, 17:38
Darya. Russian.
Moscow, Tyoply stan area
A teacher of English (private lessons)

MickeyTong
04-09-2009, 21:31
Darya. Russian.
Moscow, Tyoply stan area
A teacher of English (private lessons)

Pithy and succinct....

Bels
04-09-2009, 22:12
Pithy and succinct....

Come on Mickey Tong. You have been thinking about it for a long time now:)

As a Sassenach psychiatriast in a Scottish Hebrides village, who has been thinking about becoming an EFL teacher in Moscow :) Maybe it's time to make your move :)

MickeyTong
04-09-2009, 22:27
Come on Mickey Tong. You have been thinking about it for a long time now:)

As a Sassenach psychiatriast in a Scottish Hebrides village, who has been thinking about becoming an EFL teacher in Moscow :) Maybe it's time to make your move :)

In my dreams, maybe. But I'm dissuaded by the realities of a low salary and sharing a squalid flat.

Willy
04-09-2009, 23:52
In my dreams, maybe. But I'm dissuaded by the realities of a low salary and sharing a squalid flat.

Don't worry Mickey you could do the same here, just with a fine young Russian girl.

atethepaint
11-09-2009, 03:14
Hello!

I'm Canadian and (will be, in less than a week) teaching near Moscow. I've taught in South Korea, Thailand and Canada. Ummm...that's all I got.

bob-b-d
12-09-2009, 01:51
I'm an American, taught English from 2003-2006 and just came back two months ago. I think there is less teacher communication because there is less student activity on this site than 3-4 years ago.
Robert

shevrikuka
16-03-2010, 14:20
Could that be classified as TRFL or TRSL by the way. :agree: ?

It is classified as TRFL, you are absolutely right!
So, add me to your list too! Nadya. Teacher of Russian as a foreign language. :10189::wavey:I popularize the Russian language and culture among foreigners in Moscow.:cheerleader:

Scatterling
17-03-2010, 21:07
Hi, I'm South African. Been in Moscow since November 2009. Definitely planning on being here long term. I live in Strogino and I'm looking for students, any age or level. Got some mornings and evenings available.
Nice 'meeting' you all! :wavey:

Bels
17-03-2010, 21:20

Now if you were in the hot seat. I would ask what the quality of life is like working in the outer Hebrides compared to perhaps what you might experience in the city of London, or even Gasgow perhaps. My guess is you woud be mu weathier in a city. However I do envy you, as I have always enjoyed a smaed community and lovey surroundings compared to a city.

Perhaps one day you wil be on the hotseat, and I hope you will accept. But you did state you had an interest in Moscow, but can a doctor or psychiatrist survive in Russia without the Russian. I suppose it is possible if there is enough demand from Engish speaking expats.

Bels
17-03-2010, 21:24
Welcome. I hope you find your students. Read this section on further advice on how to advertise and get your students. If you are sti not sure , ask us all, by opening your own thread. With guidance you should be abe to find enough students to keep you busy. But you need to know how to find them. Wecome to the teachers' foder.

Hi, I'm South African. Been in Moscow since November 2009. Definitely planning on being here long term. I live in Strogino and I'm looking for students, any age or level. Got some mornings and evenings available.
Nice 'meeting' you all! :wavey:

Bels
17-03-2010, 21:31
Sorry. I disagree. I think student is about to increase here due to the new design of the teachers' folder. In fact it is aready happening. And I have been around here during this period, and I see an increase.

Of course let us not forget that the majority of Russians sek the learning of the Engish anguage in Russian. You wi ony get the higher levels here, intermediate for exampe. You will not get the Russian parents seeking essons for chidren or teenagers. You wil not find those seeking ower levels here, due to the fact we communicate in English. To get the full market you must be abe to advertise in Russian.

I'm an American, taught English from 2003-2006 and just came back two months ago. I think there is less teacher communication because there is less student activity on this site than 3-4 years ago.
Robert

Castillo
17-03-2010, 21:57
Im a teacher of Spanish as a foreign language. I reside here in moscow permanently. Although I freelance for a few schools, I teach mainly private students.

The above post has reminded me. I forgot to mention, as well as EFL teachers of all nationalities are welcome, so are Russian teachers teaching Russian as a foreign language. Could that be classified as TRFL or TRSL by the way. :agree: ?

Bels
17-03-2010, 22:00
All language teachers are welcome. And again you should read the threads on how to best promote yourself in Russia, and if you have any questions you should write your own posts and ask and discuss with other experienced private teachers already working here.

mbx03
22-03-2010, 22:36
I'm an American, and I'll be back in St. Petersburg teaching English. Doesn't seem like they're very many here from St.Petes.

Bels
23-03-2010, 22:48
Not many, but I have seen them. Try the St Petersbourg section.

I'm an American, and I'll be back in St. Petersburg teaching English. Doesn't seem like they're very many here from St.Petes.

BrandonL
24-03-2010, 08:08
Teacher here, in Moscow, at Metro Dinamo
Been in Moscow for almost two years

GenericUser
02-04-2010, 16:05
Um, hi?

Guess I should probably start getting involved here a bit myself.

I am graduating in May with my BA in English (emphasis ESL/EFL pedag.) and linguistics. Moving to Russia end of May.

Hoping to find employment as a teacher, but so far I have just gotten the holy bejeezers scared out of me about this Parlex thing. (discussion in a different forum about it, I know)

So from what I understand, the best way is to get private clients? But, then the problem becomes obtaining a visa? What residence visa? I'm confused honestly about this whole emigration subject. :floating:

Bels
02-04-2010, 21:19
Get yourself employment first. Try BKC or Language link, who are well established here. Do you need the links? Why? Because you need a work permit to stay here more than three months, and they will take care of you with the whole package, flight costs, a shared flat of two, and of course the work permit etc.. You can think about private clients later, to boost your income.

For language link click here and seek vacancies. http://languagelink.ru/e/

For BKC click here and seek vacancies. http://www.bkcih-moscow.com/

Um, hi?

Guess I should probably start getting involved here a bit myself.

I am graduating in May with my BA in English (emphasis ESL/EFL pedag.) and linguistics. Moving to Russia end of May.

Hoping to find employment as a teacher, but so far I have just gotten the holy bejeezers scared out of me about this Parlex thing. (discussion in a different forum about it, I know)

So from what I understand, the best way is to get private clients? But, then the problem becomes obtaining a visa? What residence visa? I'm confused honestly about this whole emigration subject. :floating:

GenericUser
03-04-2010, 10:49
Get yourself employment first. Try BKC or Language link, who are well established here. Do you need the links? Why? Because you need a work permit to stay here more than three months, and they will take care of you with the whole package, flight costs, a shared flat of two, and of course the work permit etc.. You can think about private clients later, to boost your income.

Well, I applied at both of the places you suggested. These schools all seem creepy to me for some unshakable reason. You all keep telling the horror stories ONLY.

How about a nice positive story once in a while? LOL... I know that there has GOT to be some positive experiences out there.
:11215:

Bels
03-04-2010, 19:52
Believe it or not, I was being positive. Both places are professional and experienced. And my only argument is that on the current market ESL teachers should be paid much more. And should have a full respectable health cover for example.

But they are the only ones I woud trust here. You can always get the respectable rate of 2000 roubles per academic hour by doing it privately later. Yes! it's 200o roubles whether group or individual.

Well, I applied at both of the places you suggested. These schools all seem creepy to me for some unshakable reason. You all keep telling the horror stories ONLY.

How about a nice positive story once in a while? LOL... I know that there has GOT to be some positive experiences out there.
:11215:

InfoHunter
21-04-2010, 22:13
I'm from the USA and have been here off/on for a year and a half. Not sure if I'm staying until this visa situation improves. It's been okay for me otherwise though.

Bels
21-04-2010, 22:33
I'm from the USA and have been here off/on for a year and a half. Not sure if I'm staying until this visa situation improves. It's been okay for me otherwise though.

Are you aware of the companies would offer you the full package? Visa? work permit? Accomadation and the covering of cost in travelling and returning from Russia?

Never come here by chance!!! Always ensure you have been employed by a reputable employer before arriving here, How many times do I have to explain this.

LOL! I didn't follow such advice. However I did have a supportive girlfriend and now wife. But that is another situation. In general, if you know no one, ensure you have a reputable employer who has already provided with adecent contract before you arrive in Russia. Otherwise you will have Hell! to play with!

torrentstorm
24-05-2010, 17:25
Are you aware of the companies would offer you the full package? Visa? work permit? Accomadation and the covering of cost in travelling and returning from Russia?

Never come here by chance!!! Always ensure you have been employed by a reputable employer before arriving here, How many times do I have to explain this.

LOL! I didn't follow such advice. However I did have a supportive girlfriend and now wife. But that is another situation. In general, if you know no one, ensure you have a reputable employer who has already provided with adecent contract before you arrive in Russia. Otherwise you will have Hell! to play with!

I guess I'd have to follow our Jedi Knight Bels' idea and find a supportive girlfriend too. :) Question is: how does a fellow Jedi begin again like a young padawan, especially if in a place like Moscow, or anywhere else in Russia, for that matter? I lived and worked in Russia for 3 years off and on, but not in Moscow. Actually I know very little about Moscow. I was there only a few days back in 2002, and then again in 2006.

And as for the chicks I had as gf, well, let's just say I learned what to 'have loved and lost" means in several uniquely painful ways.

Anyway, fellow Jedi Knight Bel may confer if he wishes. :)

Camihan
25-05-2010, 02:09

I would definitely recommend waiting until you can find a reputable school which can offer visa support and some compensation for accommodation if not a flat. Never, never stake your life on a woman- that's good advice in any country.

torrentstorm
25-05-2010, 03:45
I would definitely recommend waiting until you can find a reputable school which can offer visa support and some compensation for accommodation if not a flat. Never, never stake your life on a woman- that's good advice in any country.

Once before I made friends with a Russian lady, University Professor like me, who was kind enough to forward my CV and recommend me to a couple of schools she knew and was involved with. It worked well and I was hired in both places. This was not for Moscow, though, but in Karelia.

I'd like to repeat that again, but I haven't been lucky enough to meet someone new. I'm looking and interested, though. :) Could be for Moscow or anywhere else. I'd also like to start now to get things ready on time for September if not sooner.