PDA

View Full Version : which kitchen appliance is best?

Benedikt
08-06-2012, 10:45
http://shopping.yahoo.com/articles/yshoppingarticles/912/bosch-ge-whirlpool-among-most-reliable-kitchen-appliances/
makes for interesting comparison.
funny Indesit is nowhere to be seen, neither is AEG.
And the evaluators never have been to Russia. -We- have a SARATOV refrigerator that runs now longer then I can remember, and i am here over 20 years. Another one is also the ZIL, the make a noise like a tractor, but they never seem to brake down.

But the check is worthwhile to keep in mind.

penka
08-06-2012, 10:55
1. Liebherr's the name. Worth every penny.
2. A good chef's knife. And a ceramic one ( I'm an addict).
3. Kitchen aid.
4. And an AEG stove. Yeah, mama!

Benedikt
08-06-2012, 11:23
3. Kitchen aid.

if you talk about mixers and mincers. weak motor, not enough power if you make (often) heavy doughs or mixes. whisks are done very weak, wires tend to break if something a little bit harder then whipping cream or egg white is done.
also, because the motor / driveshaft is situated-on top-, tends to wander if working surface is not completely dry. also can fall over easier then other models when working heavy doughs at fairly high speed, meaning badly balanced.

-Bosch Chef- is the tool for that.

Suuryaa
17-07-2012, 11:29
makes for interesting comparison.
funny Indesit is nowhere to be seen, neither is AEG.
And the evaluators never have been to Russia. -We- have a SARATOV refrigerator that runs now longer then I can remember, and i am here over 20 years. Another one is also the ZIL, the make a noise like a tractor, but they never seem to brake down.

But the check is worthwhile to keep in mind.

I know people who have used their fridges for more 40 years, and they still work fine.

Tony P
17-07-2012, 11:40
for more 40 years, and they still work fine.

40 Years?
We have a floor brush in our family that my great grandmother bought in 1896.

It is still in daily use and working well.

It has not given any problems and only had 3 new heads and 2 new handles.

Benedikt
17-07-2012, 15:25
I know people who have used their fridges for more 40 years, and they still work fine.

refrigerators were made in -army- factories or in places that were under supervision of the army.
also most things that run with gas (boilers, ovens).
So they knew well because the first issues were for -them-. and if then something was left over or they could be tempted to overfill their 5 year plan, they made more. RUBIN the TV factory in Moscow was a private factory and we all know what fun these were, special the first sets.
Never mind talking about the cars.

robertmf
18-07-2012, 17:40
1. Liebherr's the name. Worth every penny.
2. A good chef's knife. And a ceramic one ( I'm an addict).
3. Kitchen aid.
4. And an AEG stove. Yeah, mama!

I've seen those ceramic knives, but have not used one. What do you use it for ?

Why ceramic ? Is the edge sharper than carbon steel ?

:eek: Does ceramic knife break|shatter when you drop it ?

Ibanez
18-07-2012, 17:42
The corkscrew...

Remington
18-07-2012, 18:50

I have ceramic knife. It works great, sharper and stronger than steel.

No it does not shatter but not recommended to drop or pry cans with it as the tip of the ceramic knife can break off with much force. It's great for cutting vegetables and boneless meats on plastic/wood cutting boards.

It doesn't need sharpening for years but you can take the knife to a knife shop to have it sharpened by a diamond sharper machine. The metal knife sharper will not work.

penka
18-07-2012, 20:01

Sharp. Period. Try it on veg, there won't be looking back.

penka
18-07-2012, 20:03
The corkscrew...

Damn, I need to use that one more often!

Benedikt
18-07-2012, 20:58
No it does not shatter but not recommended to drop or pry cans with it as the tip of the ceramic knife can break off with much force. It's great for cutting vegetables and boneless meats on plastic/wood cutting boards.

It doesn't need sharpening for years but you can take the knife to a knife shop to have it sharpened by a diamond sharper machine. The metal knife sharper will not work.[/QUOTE]

or into the wash basin with lots of soapy water and you had your ceramic knife. fair enough, any other good knife will die also this way.
At home we have a ceramic knife, at work i do not use them, they can't take the abuse and heavy use that does happen in a working kitchen.

But also a creamic knife can be sharpened with a good butcher's steel. How To | Use A Butcher Steel - YouTube the word is good .. not the junk things that are being sold around the corner.
ceramic knives can be sharpened at home with a good corundum stone http://orientcraft.en.alibaba.com/product/200530791-200025129/Black_green_silicon_carbide_Sharpening_stone.html?tracelog=cgsotherproduct1
but not with an aluminium oxide stone (can't seem to get a link going, but these are the stones that are made of 2 layers, one more coarse, one more fine, 30 rubles at the neighborhood hardware store.
or you use a diamond sharpening stone.
http://www.ehow.com/how_4559360_sharpen-ceramic-knife.html

and you do it at home for the fraction of the cost.
if you think you must use a sharpening shop
let your good and expensive knives get sharpened only in a shop that really has professionals working ( where they do ice skates).

The last time MY Chefs Knives have seen a machine sharpener, was, when they left the workshop in Germany.

Suvorov
18-07-2012, 22:31
My wife.