PDA

View Full Version : Japanese corporate culture

Ghostly Presence
11-10-2007, 13:25
Is there anyone from Japan on this site by any chance? After reading the novel "Fear and trembling" I really would like to ask someone closely familiar with that culture a few questions.

raffaella
11-10-2007, 15:14
Ok,thats not an answer but Amelie Nothomb has just published a book where she writes about her personal life during the year she worked for that japanes firm.
"Stupeur et tremblements pourrait donner l impression qu'au japon ,a l age adulte,j'ai seulement ete la plus desastreuse des employes.Ni d'Eve ni d'Adam revelera qu'a la meme apoque et dans le meme lieu,j ai aussi ete la fiancee d un Tokyoite tres singulier"
Ni d 'Eve ni d'Adam
(you can find the french version at the pangloss bookshop, just behind the consitutional court)

Korotky Gennady
11-10-2007, 20:06
Is there anyone from Japan on this site by any chance? After reading the novel "Fear and trembling" I really would like to ask someone closely familiar with that culture a few questions.

What's wrong with their corporative culture ? :doh:

Ghostly Presence
11-10-2007, 22:47
Ok,thats not an answer but Amelie Nothomb has just published a book where she writes about her personal life during the year she worked for that japanes firm.
"Stupeur et tremblements pourrait donner l impression qu'au japon ,a l age adulte,j'ai seulement ete la plus desastreuse des employes.Ni d'Eve ni d'Adam revelera qu'a la meme apoque et dans le meme lieu,j ai aussi ete la fiancee d un Tokyoite tres singulier"
Ni d 'Eve ni d'Adam
(you can find the french version at the pangloss bookshop, just behind the consitutional court)

Rafaella,

Thank you for the information. Amelie Nothomb is the author of "Fear and Trembling" that I've just finished reading. Is that a new novel that she wrote on the subject? Unfortunately, I don't read or speak French, so I could not understand the quote in your post.

raffaella
11-10-2007, 23:28
I think that the last book she wrote is Journal d Hirondelle,Ni d Adam ni d Eve must be the one before it (she is extremely "regular" in writing,publishing a book a year)
I suggest the "Character of rain" ,about her childhood in Japan which explains a lot of that culture
Here is the translation(hope it makes sense:-)
"fear and trembling might give the impression that in japan I was just the worst ever employee.This book will show that in the same period and in the same place I was also the girlfriend of an extremely singular Japanese guy"

Ghostly Presence
12-10-2007, 09:22
I think that the last book she wrote is Journal d Hirondelle,Ni d Adam ni d Eve must be the one before it (she is extremely "regular" in writing,publishing a book a year)
I suggest the "Character of rain" ,about her childhood in Japan which explains a lot of that culture
Here is the translation(hope it makes sense:-)
"fear and trembling might give the impression that in japan I was just the worst ever employee.This book will show that in the same period and in the same place I was also the girlfriend of an extremely singular Japanese guy"

rafaella,

I'll chek out it! Thanks!