PDA

View Full Version : London - is it a safe place?

Samodika
06-06-2012, 01:50
I thought London is pretty safe...but...

Benedikt
06-06-2012, 07:37
the problem is though the people themselves. what does the best security device help if people are being fooled so easily and open the doors?
by the way, not only in London,also here in Moscow. here it is easier doen from the other end. Yell into any intercom -Ambulance, open the door- and sesame will be open. Who is looking?

Judge
06-06-2012, 09:32
With a population of about 8 million, you'll get a few oddballs that like to cause harm to others..

Samodika, if I'm not mistaken, you have been living in London for awhile now... How do you feel about safety in London in general?

Probe
06-06-2012, 10:37
I would venture to say no more or no less than in any other big cosmopolitan city any where else.

mds45
06-06-2012, 10:43
Commom kitchens in London ? No never !! this sounds like student accomodation or nursing quarters etc etc, if so by there very nature they have a lot of people coming and going and attract the crazies.

natlee
06-06-2012, 11:41
One thing struck me as unreal - I was told police aren't going to care if your car's been broken into if you left so much as a mark from the GPS suction cup mount on your windscreen! Seriously?! I leave the mount itself in the car all the time, while I take the (cheap and old) GPS with me. I've also been told that if you want to leave anything in the car, you should put it in the trunk or else the car may well be broken into just in case there's something worth selling :rolleyes: I realize the latter may be true here, too, but I have to say I can't be bothered to live by that 'rule'.

mds45
06-06-2012, 11:48
One thing struck me as unreal - I was told police aren't going to care if your car's been broken into if you left so much as a mark from the GPS suction cup mount on your windscreen! Seriously?! I leave the mount itself in the car all the time, while I take the (cheap and old) GPS with me. I've also been told that if you want to leave anything in the car, you should put it in the trunk or else the car may well be broken into just in case there's something worth selling :rolleyes: I realize the latter may be true here, too, but I have to say I can't be bothered to live by that 'rule'.

In London that is all true ! you cannot leave anything on show in your car or it will be stolen - 100%, if not straightaway then for sure eventually .

natlee
06-06-2012, 11:54
In London that is all true ! you cannot leave anything on show in your car or it will be stolen - 100%, if not straightaway then for sure eventually . Crrrazy.

sashadidi
06-06-2012, 12:04
In New Zealand they will use a crowbar to break open the trunk (or boot as we sAY) to see if you put your GPS, Iphone etc in there!!!!

TolkoRaz
06-06-2012, 12:48
Crims are now using bluetooth searchers to determine if there are any active bluetooth gadgets in the car. So make sure that all bluetooth gadgets are disabled before leaving out of view in your locked car.

Of course, the more proefessional criminals can capture the remote key fob codes when you lock & leave your vehicle, so crowbars & tennis ball halves will soon be tools of the past! ;)

Gutterball
06-06-2012, 22:30

That's silly, isn't there a button in the car that opens the trunk?

Once stopped at a park with friends and when we got back the car stereo was gone. They left trash from McDonalds. That's right, he sat there and had his lunch too.

kk323232
07-06-2012, 01:07
As safe anywhere.

Samodika
07-06-2012, 01:57
the problem is though the people themselves. what does the best security device help if people are being fooled so easily and open the doors?
by the way, not only in London,also here in Moscow. here it is easier doen from the other end. Yell into any intercom -Ambulance, open the door- and sesame will be open. Who is looking?

Well, in Moscow I feel a bit safer behind the metal doors...but here the doors are so thin and look like even I could knock them out...
And I personally never open the door just because of 'ambulance" - I just ask why they call me...

Samodika
07-06-2012, 02:01
With a population of about 8 million, you'll get a few oddballs that like to cause harm to others..

Samodika, if I'm not mistaken, you have been living in London for awhile now... How do you feel about safety in London in general?

Yes, I am now here for 8.5 months - in general I feel safe, probably because people here seem more friendly and I see lots of police and I feel that if needed and I contact anyone (either police or tube service guys or whomever) I will get assistance.
But what I dislike is that all the houses seem to be easily accessible - as I said, the doors are not safe, 2-floor buildings are also not a big deal for wierd people...

Samodika
07-06-2012, 02:03
I would venture to say no more or no less than in any other big cosmopolitan city any where else.

I totally agree, but this is the first time when I faced this myself and it doesn't feel nice I must say...

Samodika
07-06-2012, 02:05
Commom kitchens in London ? No never !! this sounds like student accomodation or nursing quarters etc etc, if so by there very nature they have a lot of people coming and going and attract the crazies.

Yes, common kitchens - I could not rent a usual flat back in Sept as I do not have an English guarantor and was not ready to pay fees 12 months upfront, so I found this accomodation, not for students, but we have CCTVs, electronic keys to enter into the building - so looks and feels ok

martpark
07-06-2012, 02:07
Yes, I am now here for 8.5 months - in general I feel safe, probably because people here seem more friendly and I see lots of police and I feel that if needed and I contact anyone (either police or tube service guys or whomever) I will need assistance.
But what I dislike is that all the houses seem to be easily accessible - as I said, the doors are not safe, 2-floor buildings are also not a big deal for wierd people...

Do a lot of people knock down doors where you're living? Here in Moscow you can just wait for someone to walk out and then walk in the open door. Not many people will say anything. Wouldn't call it high security really,

Samodika
07-06-2012, 02:11
Do a lot of people knock down doors where you're living? Here in Moscow you can just wait for someone to walk out and then walk in the open door. Not many people will say anything. Wouldn't call it high security really,

I am just saying they do not look safe and I am not saying "things in Moscow are better"

Bogatyr
07-06-2012, 15:46
Well, in Moscow I feel a bit safer behind the metal doors...but here the doors are so thin and look like even I could knock them out...
And I personally never open the door just because of 'ambulance" - I just ask why they call me...

I know what you mean about the doors. I feel entirely exposed when I visit America with paper-thin doors and walls and the silly little things they call "locks" there !

TolkoRaz
07-06-2012, 16:03
How long would it take the Fire Service to cut their way into your flat if you have been overcome by debilitating smoke?

Fire is a greater risk to most people in their flats than a crazed individual wanting your iPhone! :book:

Samodika
07-06-2012, 22:58
How long would it take the Fire Service to cut their way into your flat if you have been overcome by debilitating smoke?

Fire is a greater risk to most people in their flats than a crazed individual wanting your iPhone! :book:

Ah come on! Show me anybody in Moscow who has only one door - 99% have metal ones and/or a number of doors which start from the lift area

And by the way, iphone itself is not that important, but that weird guy opend gas and run away - that's more serious....

TolkoRaz
07-06-2012, 23:49
Samodika, I was referring to people who hide behind heavy duty metal doors in Moscow!

They are a firefighter's nightmare.

Ghostly Presence
08-06-2012, 14:54
In London that is all true ! you cannot leave anything on show in your car or it will be stolen - 100%, if not straightaway then for sure eventually .

And somebody has the balls to say that Russia is the wild West??? Sounds the other way around!

ukpa
08-06-2012, 18:52
I thought London is pretty safe...but...

I live in London and believe me here is more dangerous. I live almost at the center of city and I had so many stories with bad people. In Russia more safety.
If you have car in UK, and if you live in bad area your car insurance will be more higher. Why? Because it id very bad...

Samodika
08-06-2012, 23:29
I live in London and believe me here is more dangerous. I live almost at the center of city and I had so many stories with bad people. In Russia more safety.
If you have car in UK, and if you live in bad area your car insurance will be more higher. Why? Because it id very bad...

Yeah, I 've heard the same opinion from many people already... :(

yakspeare
09-06-2012, 00:05
so cute about the door thing. I have a metal door here in krasnodar and it took the locksmith just a few minutes to get in. A criminal is not deterred by a metal door.

the only people who have metal doors in Australia are drug dealers.

hell in my town in Australia my house isn't really lockable anyway and no one locks their houses. Only now are people starting to not leave the keys in the ignition of their cars! Some still do. and i think the only reason people have changed this is not the chance of something happening, but that if it does happen the insurance would be void if the keys were there.

Bogatyr
09-06-2012, 17:23
so cute about the door thing. I have a metal door here in krasnodar and it took the locksmith just a few minutes to get in. A criminal is not deterred by a metal door.

the only people who have metal doors in Australia are drug dealers.

hell in my town in Australia my house isn't really lockable anyway and no one locks their houses. Only now are people starting to not leave the keys in the ignition of their cars! Some still do. and i think the only reason people have changed this is not the chance of something happening, but that if it does happen the insurance would be void if the keys were there.

The door means nothing of course without the lock. You must have had either an old or just a very simple lock. And for when you're home, a sturdy bolt on the inside of a metal door is unreachable and unpickable unless you're cutting through the door with a torch.

I recall when growing up in California in the 60's/70's on hot summer nights we slept with our front door wide open, and the only thing that came in was the occasional skunk. After our home was burglarized in the 80's that practice ended and the alarm system went in.