PDA

View Full Version : Eating ice cream in cold

Maine Surfer
19-12-2003, 13:43
Back home we were making fun of Russians eating ice cream outside in winter.

So we come to Moscow, go to a store, and our daughter wants to buy an ice cream. We get it, step outside, and, o chudo, she asks for the ice cream. Wasn't too cold, around 0, but there she goes, second day in Russia eating ice cream in cold (never done that back home). Weird and funny ;)

ghost 6-3
19-12-2003, 14:46
You are very lucky no babushka lambasted you for putting your daughter's health (and life) at risk. Russian children don't eat ice-cream in cold weather: as every Russian woman knows, for children, eating ice cream in cold weather risks immediate death, at worst, or prolonged illness, at best.

rosieredwood
19-12-2003, 15:10
You see, the babushki don't say anything about icecream outside in the winter, because this balances the body's temperature with the weather conditions. Now, eating icecream INDOORS in winter, well, now this is the first and foremost cause of grippe, leading to pneumonia and then six feet under. And never sit on a park bench in winter, and should you contract some illness, place mustard and honey on your feet liberally each evening and drink that shot of pertsovka (although alcohol LOWERS the body's natural defense metabolism).

wwwoland
19-12-2003, 16:13
Strangely enough I've been trying for YEARS to convince the Russians that there are these really little things called "germs" and "viruses" that cause illness and that a draft from an open window scientifically has no impact on a person's health. :rolleyes: Nobody believes me! :confused: Or maybe I'm the crazy one... :farout:

Intourist
19-12-2003, 16:23
Well, yes Woland, you're right, but exposure to cold temperatures decreases your immune system's ability to ward off these germs. Which, is almost the same thing, but not quite. It depends on how many germs are floating around, and given this country's ecological track record, it's probably not a reassuring figure. At the end of the day, it's probably pretty good advice to stay warm here.

sfjohns67
19-12-2003, 16:25
Okay, so explain the connection between kidney disease and sitting on cold ground/pavement/etc?

rosieredwood
19-12-2003, 16:26
Originally posted by Intourist
Well, yes Woland, you're right, but exposure to cold temperatures decreases your immune system's ability to ward off these germs. Which, is almost the same thing, but not quite. It depends on how many germs are floating around, and given this country's ecological track record, it's probably not a reassuring figure. At the end of the day, it's probably pretty good advice to stay warm here.

Spasibo za informatsiyu, Baba Intourist:agree:

wwwoland
19-12-2003, 16:30

Agree about the cold and the immune system. But I've also been told countless times about the dangerous "draft" () in the summertime! Sometimes they'd rather sit in a stiffling hot room with the window closed. Explain that one... :confused:

ghost 6-3
19-12-2003, 16:34
But if they sit in a stiffling hot room, they increase their exposure to radon gas - another hidden killer to worry about.

wwwoland
19-12-2003, 16:39
Somehow if the germ and virus idea is incomprehensible, I think trying to explain radon would be only an excercise of banging one's head against the wall...

Intourist
19-12-2003, 16:39
Hey look you guys, I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV. And my defense of the anti-cold thing doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't a veritable butt-load of wives-tales floating alongside dem germs.

SFJ67 - Didn't you ever hear the verse of that anatomy song:
"The butt-cheek's connected to the renal vein" ?

RRWood - Come over here and let me give you some zefir, .

wwoland - Got me, dude. Maybe because the draft blows all those germs in through the fortochka ?

DaveUKagain
19-12-2003, 16:46
Ahhhh yes, the good old "If women sit on cold seats they risk getting a "female infection"" story, beloved of babs everywhere. ;-)))

Anyone remember Porfiry Ivanov ? From a village in Siberia ? Came up with the theory that cold was good for you, nothing to be afraid of and to commune with nature (obviously some weird form of communism, hehee ;-) ) you should expose yourself to cold at every opportunity. IE keep a bucket of cold water by the bed, wake up and stick your hands in it.

My ex believed in all of this and faithfully followed the teachings of this Siberian frost - merchant for, er, three days. ;-)))))) Then she didn`t like it and gave up, turned the radiator up to thermonuclear settings and found something else to worry about. ;-))))

Mind you, sense of perspective - health care in Russia is patchy and sometimes to get things done, you have to pay through the nos. Russian medications, medicines and even toiletries seem "watered down" - try Russian toothpaste sometime - and it pays to be paranoid about your health when in Russia. Certainly true, however, that Russian women seem particularly cautious about their health, but starve themselves on a diet at the drop of a hat. Go figure. ;-))))))

rosieredwood
19-12-2003, 16:54
Hey look you guys, I'm not a doctor and I don't even play one on TV. And my defense of the anti-cold thing doesn't necessarily mean that there aren't a veritable butt-load of wives-tales floating alongside dem germs.

SFJ67 - Didn't you ever hear the verse of that anatomy song:
"The butt-cheek's connected to the renal vein" ?

RRWood - Come over here and let me give you some zefir, .

wwoland - Got me, dude. Maybe because the draft blows all those germs in through the fortochka ?

"Zefir"? (zephyr), I thought you had warned us about drafts and breezes:) (I know "kefir")

Intourist
19-12-2003, 17:02
It was a little pun. Zefir is a marshmellow like candy (actually it's not anywhere near marshmellow, but it's the closest equivalent - like translating sala as bacon),

OR

A light wind.

So I was playing the part of "baba-intour" by offering you some candy, named after a wind.

Folks, if that wasn't one of the cleverest mutil-lingual play on words you've ever seen, I don't what is. I'd almost venture as far as saying that my little word-play was quite indicative of someone deserving the title of "Most Intelligent". But you can decide that yourself in the "Polls" section, where there just so happens to be such a poll. I'm two votes shy, for crissake !

rosieredwood
19-12-2003, 17:09
you're so full of "zefir" (when actually, the closest equivalent here to marshmellow is "birds milk" ( ), its coming out your "kefir" hole:p

And I don't remember anyone ever translating salo as bacon; salo is pig fat (suet), plain and simple.:D is bacon.

Intourist
19-12-2003, 17:19
Geesh, it's always semantics with you. :)

I didn't say that the closest thing to Marshmellow was zefir. I said the closest thing to Zefir was Marshmellow, a fine difference in that there may be other things closer to Marshmellow than Zefir (bird's milk, as you so aptly pointed out), but *not* American/English equivalents closer to Zefir than Marshmellow.

Babushka Intourist

Polia Ivanova
19-12-2003, 17:44
Back in Russia on one hot +35 July day I drank a glass of lemonade with ice and lost my voice for almost 3 weeks it was that bad. I believe about the germs not cold that makes your throat sore but I always had problems with cold drinks and food in hot weather, not cold
And advice that they give you how to relieve suffering from the HOT weather is DO NOT EAT ICE CREAM because it has high calorie value and few minutes later will make you feel even hotter. So from this point of view eating ice cream when it is cold is just right.

I was really amused by English attitude to ice cream however.
Once I was late for work and I didnt have a breakfast. In a local shop close to my office ice cream looked really attractive because of its generous morning calories and something to reduce Monday morning blues. So I bought some ice cream and started eating it at my desk.
Guess how people commented on it That Early in The Morning? As if I was drinking brandy or something.

Do they still call nice and creamy one Plombir?

rosieredwood
19-12-2003, 17:54
is my...er...Yes, why yes they do, if you mean the cylinder-shaped treat with the bits of chocolate in it.

Once again, it's all about balancing one's body temperature with the exteranl elements.

polly
24-12-2003, 03:54
the whole hullaballoo about cold drinks and drinks with ice is a load of crap. how come the entire united states of america is addicted to drinking everything with ice all year round and we don't get sick because of it.
also, someone mentioned earlier up that russians sit in hot stuffy rooms??? where are these russians? because the ones i know are always complaining about "dushno this" and "dushno that" and swinging big windows open wide in -10 weather. frickin freezing in here.

DPG
24-12-2003, 04:21
Yeah, you've got to love the way that russians tell you not to drink cold beer or drinks because you'll get sick whilst thinking nothing of taking a bottle of vodka out of the freezer and drinking it whilst it is still as close to -18C as possible!!

sfjohns67
24-12-2003, 09:20
Originally posted by polly
also, someone mentioned earlier up that russians sit in hot stuffy rooms??? where are these russians? because the ones i know are always complaining about "dushno this" and "dushno that" and swinging big windows open wide in -10 weather. frickin freezing in here.
AMEN sistah!!!! My wife drives me nuts with that, it's a constant war at home - her opening every dang pneumonia hole in the place, and me running around behind her closing them.

And I don't buy that crapola about "just put more clothes on." My house is my refuge, it's enough pain in the ass to put on the bazillion layers necessary to go outside...who the 'ell wants to layer inside???!!!

Free Man
24-12-2003, 09:42
My favorite is "MAGNITNAYA BURIA"...

the first time I heard this term, I couldn't figure it out, still can't.

for them to announce thw eather on the radio, and then follow along with "today's magnitnaya Buria forecast"...

sounds almost like the end of the world is near, and time to get your magnitnaya shield on, or crawl into your magnitanya shelter zone.

speaking about drafts "skvoznyaks" It never bothered me. But it will only after people start talking about it, otherwise, I always loved the breeze. forget about closed windows and doors though. if its hot they open up.

drinking ice cold drinks, I grew up drinking almost all beverages loaded with ice. still do. But it takes that one person to comment it opennly, and then poof, I'll get a sore throat, otherwise, i never have a problem.

:agree:

fat_chick
24-12-2003, 09:49
I HATE THESE ONES WHO just can't stop opening stupid windows !!! f***!!!!f***f***!!!

Intourist
24-12-2003, 10:01
Originally posted by Polia Ivanova
I was really amused by English attitude to ice cream however.
Once I was late for work and I didnt have a breakfast. In a local shop close to my office ice cream looked really attractive because of its generous morning calories and something to reduce Monday morning blues. So I bought some ice cream and started eating it at my desk.
Guess how people commented on it That Early in The Morning? As if I was drinking brandy or something.

Polia, because it's sweet. It's like scarfing down a box of chocolates before you've had lunch. Frankly, I think most Russians would find this pretty odd too (given that I get a lot of strange looks drinking a coke in the morning).

Polia Ivanova
24-12-2003, 10:35
Polia, because it's sweet. It's like scarfing down a box of chocolates before you've had lunch. Frankly, I think most Russians would find this pretty odd too (given that I get a lot of strange looks drinking a coke in the morning).

Coke - that is bloody weird - everybody knows that only beer is proper breakfast drink. I really forgot about it living in the UK and had a mild shock walking in Moscow at 9 a m seeing all this people swinging beer from bottles. Here you can see people drinking some sort of sodas or sipping coffee from plastic cups. To go to a pub before 6 p m is like you have some drinking problems

You know there are different types of Russians when it takes "dushno - not dushno" - even my sister and me will have a battle about "fresh air vs. bloody cold here" balance. Some sort of scientific studies is needed I think. I keep myself warm all the time indoors and outdoors and all my cold related health troubles usually amount in three days of running nose a year which is not bad. Besides, fresh air in some parts of Moscow and Russia is hardly fresh. With central heating on all the time the air indoor gets very dry which is uncomfortable for many people that is why they try to open all holes.

polly
25-12-2003, 00:53
yes, but "trying to open all holes," as you so tastefully put it, contradicts with the Draft Myth. The Draft Myth and the Dushno-Nadishalis Myth cannot logically coexist. There is no logic here.
And explain this: I am kinda sick now. today my throat started up, and i had *nothing* cold to drink, not for several days now because if i want cold juice i have to remember to put it in the fridge myself. So what myth will you use to explain my sore throat?
Can we start a new myth? like the Dirty Socks Myth? If you don't change your socks every day you'll get gangriene. How about the Water-and-Soap Myth? Bathing on a daily basis does NOT weaken your immune system, especially in the summer. Instead it makes you lose weight or something.