PDA

View Full Version : Opening a Russian bank account to transfer to UK

James Calrissian
03-06-2012, 17:29
Hi everyone,

I regularly have to send money back to the UK and so far I've just been using Western Union.

Is there a Russian bank that I could open an account with which would allow me to transfer money to my UK account without high commission? And what would the process be?

Would appreciate any advice.

Ta

James

Benedikt
03-06-2012, 17:40
Hi everyone,

I regularly have to send money back to the UK and so far I've just been using Western Union.

Is there a Russian bank that I could open an account with which would allow me to transfer money to my UK account without high commission? And what would the process be?

Would appreciate any advice.

Ta

James

use Raiffeisen, the have their -Raiffeisen connect- Internet banking, you can do it all your self.
Only one problem as such. login/ passwords for the Internet banking section expires after 60 days if you do not use it. ( just log in once in a while will do) and then you have to go to the bank and get a new one. no e mail. suppose there is a reason for it.
and if language might be a problem, at least at the Tverskaya branch they all speak english.

James Calrissian
03-06-2012, 18:04
use Raiffeisen, the have their -Raiffeisen connect- Internet banking, you can do it all your self.
Only one problem as such. login/ passwords for the Internet banking section expires after 60 days if you do not use it. ( just log in once in a while will do) and then you have to go to the bank and get a new one. no e mail. suppose there is a reason for it.
and if language might be a problem, at least at the Tverskaya branch they all speak english.
Hi Benedikt,

Thanks for the info. Is it much hassle setting up the account? What documents would they need?

ta

Ildy
03-06-2012, 19:01
I also use Raiffeisen and the transfer cost is 0.5%. My company opened opened the account, so can't help with papers...

Abydosxr
03-06-2012, 19:56
If you are paid in Roubles, get two accounts at Raifeissen. One in Roubles, one in GBP.

Using the Raifeissen Connect (Internet) service you can first transfer your RUB to GBP yourself online, and when that has cleared, transfer GBP to the UK.

Note that you cannot transfer Roubles directly out of Russia (or so it would seem), so two accounts is the way to go.

I literally collected my card this past Friday, took about 10 days for the Rouble account (although I have Corporate support). The foreign currency account litereally took 5 minutes at the counter (by linking it with your new Rouble account).

Hope this helps. I had the same questions a month ago....

celia
03-06-2012, 20:25
I'm meeting some people tomorrow at noon in the middle of the platform, Tverskaya metro station, and we're going to the Tverskaya branch to open accounts, so if you feel like joining a group to do it, come along! (Although if everyone in the bank branch speaks English there shouldn't be a problem - we wanted a Russian speaker to come with us in case we didn't understand something.)

rubyrussia
03-06-2012, 22:05
Hi Benedikt,

Thanks for the info. Is it much hassle setting up the account? What documents would they need?

Here's what you need to open an account:

registration
certified copy of your passport from a "Notarius" (Notary)

Benedikt
04-06-2012, 06:14
Hi Benedikt,

ta

honestly i don't know what YOU need to open an account. they asked me for my passport and nothing else. ( but i also opened my account many years ago, when on Tverskaya it was the first Raiffeisen bank in the center).
ALSO, i had Raiffeisen in Austria and my account was more or less transfered/ re opened in Moscow, if that might also be of difference.
I never was asked where I work, do I have a registration or the like.(of course i had my visa and immigration card in the passport).

Bandesz
04-06-2012, 12:45
I am raiffeisen customer too, just because Raiffeisen is the contracted bank for my company. They do an OK job.
Abydosxr was right that you will need both RUB and GBP accounts, but depending on the amount you are converting I suggest to look for exchanges on the street their rate is much better. Take your RUB, exchange it where you find the best rate then deposit the GBP. Then send it to UK through Raiffeisen connect.

Good luck!

James Calrissian
04-06-2012, 13:23
Cheers Abydosxr, Rubyrussia, Benedikt, Celia, Bandesz and Ildy!

Thanks for you help, I'll look into this account asap.

Celia, overslept today otherwise would have joined you!

James

celia
04-06-2012, 22:39
To open my account I simply showed my passport (the bank manager took a copy) and filled out an application form. (I just opened an account for roubles - I don't know if the requirements change if you have other accounts, but I don't think so.) Signed many times and was done.