PDA

View Full Version : Need help

Maine Surfer
18-12-2003, 14:12
Expats,
My wife can't speak Russian. Although she has help with everyday work, she needs someone to talk to in English. Are there any good places to go meets other expats and get some advise on kids, schools etc? I've heard of Starlite Diner, but it quite far. Anything in the south-west? Would appreciate any help.

I also found her a private teacher for 4$/ hour who will come to our appartment. Is it expensive?

Thanks

psiems
18-12-2003, 15:24
That is a very good price for a teacher. Average I found is about 10 USD/hour

Midas
18-12-2003, 15:33
I'm afraid there isn't much to so in the south-west. Anything that's beyond the Garden Ring is more or less "expat-dead".

I agree with psiems - you got it dirt cheap. For what I know should be 10-15 bucks. Watch out for the quality of her lessons

Intourist
18-12-2003, 16:27
Vote for Intourist in the Most Intelligent poll in the Polls section !

P.S. Intourist Loves You

Midas
18-12-2003, 17:03
are you ok, intourist?

Intourist
18-12-2003, 17:07
Feelin a tad giddy and light-headed actually. Have you voted for me in the poll yet ?

Midas
18-12-2003, 17:10
how could I not after that massive advertisement and brainwashing of yours :D

Intourist
18-12-2003, 17:17
You mean it actually worked ? I'm shocked !

Maine-Guy (ever been to North Haven off the coast of Rockland ?), sorry to high-jack your thread and what not. I now return you to your regularly scheduled programming.

vaska
18-12-2003, 18:22
This may sound a little weird, but I actually recommend going on one of the Patriarshy Dom tours. People who go on them around this time actually live in Moscow (i.e. are not tourists) and are very nice. I've met quite a few people that way.

Pingu
18-12-2003, 18:28
There are quite a few expats clubs - the International Women's Club is open to all female non-Russian passport holders (or Russian women married to non-Russian passport holders) and there are similar clubs in most embassies, depending on her nationality and yours (some allow different passport holders to join if their husband is a passport holder of that nation).

I think I read earlier that you have a daughter - maybe your wife can meet people through your daughter's school or where you're living, and some companies have social meetings for wives, etc.

Can't think of anything else at the moment, but hope this helps.

:)

vaska
18-12-2003, 19:30
re-reading my post, it occurred to me that i should post a disclaimer that i am not affiliated with Patriarshy Dom tours in any way (i am a lawyer after all - we love disclaimers)

Maine Surfer
19-12-2003, 10:20
Thanks guys, I hope it helps too.

Been to Rockland, never heard of North Haven actually