PDA

View Full Version : Fair win.. not?

natlee
15-05-2012, 13:47
http://www.theverge.com/2012/5/13/3018101/london-traffic-lights-rigged-to-win-international-olympic-committees

Judge
16-05-2012, 10:39
Interesting, goes to show what really goes on behind closed doors..

TolkoRaz
16-05-2012, 10:45
Enlightening! ;)

Judge
16-05-2012, 10:48
Enlightening! ;)
:idea:
Sure is 'Enlightening..... the work of the illuminati,the enlightened ones..

andymackem
16-05-2012, 11:00
Feels more and more like a pyhrric victory, though. Ah well, soon be over.

TolkoRaz
16-05-2012, 11:08
The Torch arrives on Saturday 19 May and will cover 8,000 miles around the UK and Ireland over 70 days before heading to London for 27 July.

Let the show begin! :)

:uk:

natlee
16-05-2012, 11:36
I picked the best time for my vacation didn't I! :rant:

Judge
16-05-2012, 11:42

http://archivesartgallery.com/images/Applause.jpg

TolkoRaz
16-05-2012, 11:52

The London 2012 Olympics and the dates have been known about for 7 years! ;)

This is nothing new for the majority of the World! :p Before you plan your next vacation, let me know location and dates and I shall see if there any conflicts or reasons to alter the proposed destination! :coffee:

natlee
16-05-2012, 12:40
The London 2012 Olympics and the dates have been known about for 7 years! ;)

This is nothing new for the majority of the World! :p Before you plan your next vacation, let me know location and dates and I shall see if there any conflicts or reasons to alter the proposed destination! :coffee: Thanks honey ;)

TolkoRaz
16-05-2012, 12:46
7 Ps springs to mind! :p

andymackem
16-05-2012, 15:08

Might be a good time to explore parts of the UK which aren't London. I seem to recall there were quite a few of them. Even some quite nice ones.

Sarcasm apart, having lived in most corners of my little island I'm happy to advise if I can :)

natlee
16-05-2012, 16:05
Might be a good time to explore parts of the UK which aren't London. I seem to recall there were quite a few of them. Even some quite nice ones.

Sarcasm apart, having lived in most corners of my little island I'm happy to advise if I can :) I stayed in Reading last time, and wished I was in London (despite traveling there daily anyway), and now I'll be in London wishing I was.. out of London? :D

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Will you be here this summer?

andymackem
16-05-2012, 16:25
I stayed in Reading last time, and wished I was in London (despite traveling there daily anyway), and now I'll be in London wishing I was.. out of London? :D

Thanks, I'll keep that in mind! Will you be here this summer?

One of my best mates lives in Reading. Not sure the town has much else to recommend it, though.

I'm looking at a summer in Moscow, with a couple of weeks in Seoul and Tokyo and maybe a few weekend breaks around Russia if I get the chance. Probably won't get to England until Christmas / New Year.

natlee
16-05-2012, 16:29
One of my best mates lives in Reading. Not sure the town has much else to recommend it, though.

lol I can understand that!

I'm looking at a summer in Moscow, with a couple of weeks in Seoul and Tokyo and maybe a few weekend breaks around Russia if I get the chance.

Who's the lucky guy! Wow. Have fun!

andymackem
16-05-2012, 16:43
To be fair, London during the Olympics could be a lot of fun. Even if you're not so interested in the sport, it's a huge event and presumably there'll be plenty of Olympic spin-off stuff around town.

It might not be the perfect time for quiet, contemplative strolls around Hampstead Heath, or cheap hotel rooms within 100 miles of the place though.

natlee
16-05-2012, 16:51
To be fair, London during the Olympics could be a lot of fun. Even if you're not so interested in the sport, it's a huge event and presumably there'll be plenty of Olympic spin-off stuff around town.

It might not be the perfect time for quiet, contemplative strolls around Hampstead Heath, or cheap hotel rooms within 100 miles of the place though. I know, and will attend some of it which may not be that much fun with my 6 year old, but oh well! To be honest, I'd prefer quiet strolls ;) I can only hope that since we'll be arriving late June, we'll get some quieter time there, too... am I being naive? :suspect:

Tony P
16-05-2012, 16:52
presumably there'll be plenty of Olympic spin-off stuff around town.

Yep. Guess so.
Over-crowding. Over-pricing. Over-observation. Over-control. Over-congestion.

Sport saturation. Happy to miss it.

Although I do toy with the idea of a short let of my flat there (10 minutes from LHR) that sits unoccupied for most of the time.
No.Too much bother to get involved in any way.

Bah! Humbug!

andymackem
16-05-2012, 16:59
I know, and will attend some of it which may not be that much fun with my 6 year old, but oh well! To be honest, I'd prefer quiet strolls ;) I can only hope that since we'll be arriving late June, we'll get some quieter time there, too... am I being naive? :suspect:

On the subject of spin-offs: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2012/may/15/london-2012-olympics-guide-activities

Sounds like you've got a nice long stay lined up? And a 6yo might find the whole thing much more fun than mum does - I remember being transfixed by the Olympic broadcasts from Moscow and LA (hey, with all the boycotts we even won some medals and stuff!), even though I struggle to get all that excited now.

The build-up shouldn't be quite so intense, although I'd imagine the last few days before it all kicks off could be the worst: first-night nerves, multiplied by several million. If I was going to skip town I might time it for a few days either side of the opening ceremony. Once the games are underway and it -hopefully - becomes clear that the sky hasn't fallen in, it will settle down again

natlee
16-05-2012, 17:15
On the subject of spin-offs: http://www.guardian.co.uk/sport/interactive/2012/may/15/london-2012-olympics-guide-activities Thanks!

Sounds like you've got a nice long stay lined up? Should be going June 27th through August 21st, if all is well!