PDA

View Full Version : Very Basic Questions...

illiterate_poet
08-10-2007, 04:35
I am considering a job offer in Moscow after I finish going back to school (I have to finish a current work contract where I am now and then go get my last remaining credits)... We were offered a German Shepherd puppy from a very intelligent line of dogs and we love it... but I have some concerns then about taking the job.

Is there a quarantine period for dogs brought abroad to Russia (who have all immunizations and the vet has approved them for travel?

Is it difficult to get housing that allows a pet of this size?

How expensive is it to feed a dog there? What about immunization updates?

I'm sorry if these have been answered but from all I looked I didn't find any answers yet. :coffee: I'm going blind on the computer going through website after website... :eek:

Thanks!

Pobman
08-10-2007, 08:21
I have not imported, but given the number of people who do it cant be too hard and there seems to be no quarantine.

All jabs are down to you, the vets will give anything if you pay them. They have all the same stuff as in the west. There probably are rules on what you must do with a dog but I would say nobody follows them, you are supposed to muzzle some dogs but you hardly ever see that.

Feeding, depends what you feed on. Good tinned food is quite costly, though junk like pedigree chum is not. Fry mixes are pretty cheap and you can get all those veterinary prescribed foods from any pet shop here. So if you want to feed your dog on Hill ID Prescription food you can (Its about 150r for a tin , 3-400 for a bag).

I would not want to try and find a flat where the landlord lets in a dog, when I was renting it could be hard enough to find one that lets in an Expat! However they do exist, my last landlord allowed me to live with 3 rats and a small dog. Though I had already been living there and paying rent for 12 months before the animals arrived.

fidela
08-10-2007, 20:10
Hi,

we went here with a german shepard size dog and it was no problem to find a flat. There are a few vaccinations you need but there ist no quarantine.

elis
08-10-2007, 23:37
Hi,

I'm planning on taking my dog and cat to Moscow in January. Here's a link to a site that lists the vaccines, etc. and paperwork required: Moscow Animals - Importing / exporting pets (http://www.moscowanimals.org/advice/import.html) This site also lists vets who can help you clear the animal through customs. Although I don't know if that will be necessary. Fidela could maybe comment on that.

Also check with the airline to see any requirements they have. I called Lufthansa and they were very well informed about traveling with animals.

Hope this helps.

illiterate_poet
10-12-2007, 23:50
Quick thanks to everyone for their answers...

Where I am now, dried dog kibble is brought in by plane and costs US$50 (give or take $5, mostly give) per bag. I'm hoping to not continue at such a high expense in the future. When I lived in Ireland quarantine was 6 months and another expense. As wonderful as this dog is, maybe I should keep my life simple. :) I know that, but sometimes I don't want to.

Clean32
10-12-2007, 23:55
3 rats and a small dog. .

is that what you call them now days ??? LOL

KGA
27-12-2007, 13:25
No problem with dog. Lots of them here

samaria
10-12-2008, 14:10
I have not imported, but given the number of people who do it cant be too hard and there seems to be no quarantine.

All jabs are down to you, the vets will give anything if you pay them. They have all the same stuff as in the west. There probably are rules on what you must do with a dog but I would say nobody follows them, you are supposed to muzzle some dogs but you hardly ever see that.

Feeding, depends what you feed on. Good tinned food is quite costly, though junk like pedigree chum is not. Fry mixes are pretty cheap and you can get all those veterinary prescribed foods from any pet shop here. So if you want to feed your dog on Hill ID Prescription food you can (Its about 150r for a tin , 3-400 for a bag).

I would not want to try and find a flat where the landlord lets in a dog, when I was renting it could be hard enough to find one that lets in an Expat! However they do exist, my last landlord allowed me to live with 3 rats and a small dog. Though I had already been living there and paying rent for 12 months before the animals arrived.

I am agree with Pobman....I also think so.....:agree: