PDA

View Full Version : Darrick in the US going to Russia in a year

DarrickEvenson
02-05-2012, 23:02
Hello,

My name is Darrick. I am a 51 year old white American male. There are now about 20,000 Russians and Ukrainians in my city of about 1 million. So, I thought I'd go to Russia to teach English and learn Russian. I am studying Russian two hours a day, but I'm sure I won't be able to speak it until I'm around Russians for at least 4 or 5 months. Sorry, but Russians don't seem to pronounce their language. They seem to mumble it. I'm really gonna have to get an "ear" for this language. Spanish is much easier. They pronounce good.

I'm going to Russia to get married. To get married I must have a job in Russia. Since I'm not computer expert or surgeon or businessman or hockey player, that leaves teaching English.

American women in their 30s and 40s, if they look like anything at all, demand you own your own home and business. And quite a few Plain Janes want the same thing. So, I'll try in Russia, where most people live in small apartments in high rises and most people don't own cars.

Well, that's about it for me. I'm going to continue to study Russian two to three hours a day for another 14 months, and get a TESL, then hopefully some school in Russia will hire me and I'm off to Russia to freeze my ass off. I'll see you when I get there.

Judge
02-05-2012, 23:31
Hi Darrick, welcome to the site... You will have no trouble finding work as an English teacher here,before you make the move post an ad in the ''Lessons Section'' ,this way you might line up some students before you even move here.
Where in Russia will you live?
For some solid advice about how to get your own students, see Yak's post (4) in this thread...
http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=986522#post986522
Good luck with your move...If you have any question about moving to Russia, feel free to ask..

DarrickEvenson
02-05-2012, 23:49
Thank you Judge. I can see you're a very altruistic person. I'll take your advice. I have no idea where I am going to live in Russia. I'll apply to some schools and hopefully one will hire me via skype. I'll go wherever I'm hired. I really would prefer not going to Siberia, but if that is where I must go, then I will go. I don't drink, so I'm learning to say "I'm allergic to alcohol" in Russian. But I do enjoy going to the nightclub if they have djed music and a light show. I was planning to go to Ukraine, but the government there is making it very hard from foreigners to work there now.

There are 20 million Americans out of work, but the U.S. government is still letting in 8 million immigrants per year, and I'm sure there are at least another 3 to 5 million or so illegals coming in every year. So, I'm getting out while the getting is good. But, not for a year. I have to take care of my father and learn about 2,000 Russian words and get a TESL before I go. I won't speak Russian before I leave, but at least I'll have the "jist" of what people are saying when I get to Russia. It's not an easy language for English speakers. But, I guess not as hard as Chinese.
Thanks for your advice.
Darrick

[quote=Judge;992332]Hi Darrick, welcome to the site... You will have no trouble finding work as an English teacher here,before you make the move post an ad in the ''Lessons Section'' ,this way you might line up some students before you even move here.
Where in Russia will you live?

Arthuro
03-05-2012, 00:02
Hello,

My name is Darrick. I am a 51 year old white American male. There are now about 20,000 Russians and Ukrainians in my city of about 1 million. So, I thought I'd go to Russia to teach English and learn Russian. I am studying Russian two hours a day, but I'm sure I won't be able to speak it until I'm around Russians for at least 4 or 5 months. Sorry, but Russians don't seem to pronounce their language. They seem to mumble it. I'm really gonna have to get an "ear" for this language. Spanish is much easier. They pronounce good.

try to watch films, particularly Soviet from 1960s\70s. You'll find a perfect pronunciation there since the acting school was very great that time.

Hello,
American women in their 30s and 40s, if they look like anything at all, demand you own your own home and business. And quite a few Plain Janes want the same thing. So, I'll try in Russia, where most people live in small apartments in high rises and most people don't own cars.

In Russia it's more or less the same. particularly in 30s.
but since there are way more women who look like anything in Russia than in the US and the competition is very high at "Russian market" - you'd probably have a better chance

DarrickEvenson
03-05-2012, 02:44
Thanks Auturo. As soon as I know at least 1000 Russian words I'll begin to rent some Russian film DVDs. There are a few places in town where you can rent them. That will help me get an "ear" for it.

There are unfortunately many obese (fat) American women, especially over the age of 35. I would say at least half of them are obese. I don't mean just chubby. I mean obese. Sorry, but I'm just not attracted to them. So, that leaves very few American women available over 30. If they are attractive, you'd better be rich. Hopefully, I can find a humble Russian woman who is not demanding wealth. Some gal in her late 30s or early 40s. Not the prettiest, but not obese and not ugly enough to scare dirt off a shovel.

In Russia it's more or less the same. particularly in 30s.
but since there are way more women who look like anything in Russia than in the US and the competition is very high at "Russian market" - you'd probably have a better chance

robertmf
03-05-2012, 02:49
... Hopefully, I can find a humble Russian woman who is not expecting wealth.

;) You use "humble" and "Russian woman" in the same sentence :rofl:

Привет and welcome Darrick to expat.ru. As mentioned, make 5 posts and then you can access the [Marketplace]. Also the [Calendar] is useful for events to meet other expats and assorted natives.

Jack17
03-05-2012, 09:09
If they are attractive, you'd better be rich.

Ah Darrick. . . sorry to tell you, but that's true everywhere. Beauty has it's price.

In fact, especially if you're living and working in Moskva, the only woman who's likely to pay attention to an English teacher is exactly the same woman who would pay attention in the States.

Now, there are exceptions to every rule; but they are the exceptions. Who knows, you may be another Willy - are you a drummer in a rock band?

I'd suggest Ivanova or smaller cities in the Ukraine. Happy hunting.:fudd:

Arthuro
03-05-2012, 09:21
Thanks Auturo. As soon as I know at least 1000 Russian words I'll begin to rent some Russian film DVDs. There are a few places in town where you can rent them. That will help me get an "ear" for it.

You may download them for free from Internet.
Save your money You'll need it in Russia when you arrive=)