PDA

View Full Version : The British & their Red Coats

TolkoRaz
02-05-2012, 16:34
During the recent royal wedding, millions around the world saw that Prince William chose to wear a uniform that included the famous British "red coat."

Many people have asked, "Why did the British wear red coats in battle?"

A long time ago, Britain and France were at war. During one battle, the French captured a British Colonel. They took him to their headquarters, and the French General began to question him. Finally, as an afterthought, the French General asked, "Why do you British officers all wear red coats? Don't you know the red material makes you easier targets for us to shoot at?"

In his casual, matter-of-fact, way, the officer informed the General that the reason British officers wear red coats is so that if they are wounded, the blood won't show, and the men they are leading wouldn't panic or run away :10310:

TolkoRaz
02-05-2012, 16:35
And that is why, from that day forward, all French Army officers wear brown trousers! :D

JBM
02-05-2012, 17:12
Hahaha I m french, loves your story!

FatAndy
02-05-2012, 17:22
And that is why, from that day forward, all French Army officers wear brown trousers! :D
But they do it since 1915th, while UK troops wear that khaki since 1899-1902 (second England-Boer war)
;)

Matt24
02-05-2012, 19:22
As was explained to me, by a Marine instructor - it was the marines that popularized the wearing of the red, in days of yore when Britannia ruled the waves the HM's Royal Navy was largely staffed by expendable unskilled casual labour, (other than gunners, cooks and carpenters), who not only had to arm themselves but also sailed in their own pajamas - apparently the Dutch and the French had a fairly similar approach to the lower ranks and only the Spanish bothered with uniformed staff - thus in close combat it was a bit hard to understand who was who - basically left to their own devices Johnnie Jack tar either fell drunkenly in love with his foreign counterpart, or had about anybody close enough to him in a drunken brawl improvising with furniture, kitchen tools and home made death devices - it all got a bit more complicated and capital intensive with the introduction of skilled and expensively armed Marines - who unlike the gunners had to be outside on the open deck to perform their fighting roles adequately and therefore needed a degree of differentiation - the bright colors and the big white sash are there to show even the drunkest of sailors there were easier targets for their rage. As the Navy was substantially more wealthy than the army until relatively recently the economies of scale were such that everybody ended up wearing red.

As was explained to me by my father a lifelong professional soldier, all Marines are just wanna be soldiers with a penchant for sailors, and they are unable to invent anything except reasons why they didn't join God's chosen club, the British Army - the real reason, according to my Dad, that the British army wore Red was to give Johnnie foreigner a fighting chance to run away, remember at the same time they were wearing scarlet they also had huge numbers of drummers and people playing whistles, together with 2 metre square flags and gambling prostitutes - stand out big red noisy blocks of people are pretty awe inspiring especially if they are giving it large that they are coming to kill you.

Jack17
02-05-2012, 19:50
Is that Claude Rains?

NotMe
02-05-2012, 20:26
I think French soldiers are very brave ones. :)

In fact, French and English soldiers won a WWI.

To be honest, when travelled France I was surprised how many monuments are set up all over the country in memory of soldiers killed in WWI.
Even small and tiny villages has such monument, let alone the Tomb of the Unknown Soldier from WWI beneath the Arc de Triomphe in the heart of Paris. :)

robertmf
02-05-2012, 21:12
- the real reason, according to my Dad, that the British army wore Red was to give Johnnie foreigner a fighting chance to run away, remember at the same time they were wearing scarlet they also had huge numbers of drummers and people playing whistles, together with 2 metre square flags and gambling prostitutes - stand out big red noisy blocks of people are pretty awe inspiring especially if they are giving it large that they are coming to kill you.

Obviously the limey logic was flawed (re: American Revolution)

June 17th 1775 Battle of Bunker Hill (s.i.c.)

Matt24
02-05-2012, 22:26
Obviously the limey logic was flawed (re: American Revolution)

June 17th 1775 Battle of Bunker Hill (s.i.c.)

I think the big problem with this logic was that the Revolutionaries were in on the trick, with vast numbers of the US forces having undergone British military training in tactics and strategies from GW down, they were never going to fall for the shout loud and look determined gambit, the other aspects that truly played in the US's favour (and also came into play in Ireland and Palestine later) was you guy's were fighting for your homes and freedom, Johnnie Redcoats was war weary, a long way from home and fighting for a system that oppressed him, well played Americans.

tsarski
03-05-2012, 18:28
As was explained to me, by a Marine instructor - it was the marines that popularized the wearing of the red, in days of yore when Britannia ruled the waves the HM's Royal Navy was largely staffed by expendable unskilled casual labour, (other than gunners, cooks and carpenters), who not only had to arm themselves but also sailed in their own pajamas - apparently the Dutch and the French had a fairly similar approach to the lower ranks and only the Spanish bothered with uniformed staff - thus in close combat it was a bit hard to understand who was who - basically left to their own devices Johnnie Jack tar either fell drunkenly in love with his foreign counterpart, or had about anybody close enough to him in a drunken brawl improvising with furniture, kitchen tools and home made death devices - it all got a bit more complicated and capital intensive with the introduction of skilled and expensively armed Marines - who unlike the gunners had to be outside on the open deck to perform their fighting roles adequately and therefore needed a degree of differentiation - the bright colors and the big white sash are there to show even the drunkest of sailors there were easier targets for their rage. As the Navy was substantially more wealthy than the army until relatively recently the economies of scale were such that everybody ended up wearing red.

As was explained to me by my father a lifelong professional soldier, all Marines are just wanna be soldiers with a penchant for sailors, and they are unable to invent anything except reasons why they didn't join God's chosen club, the British Army - the real reason, according to my Dad, that the British army wore Red was to give Johnnie foreigner a fighting chance to run away, remember at the same time they were wearing scarlet they also had huge numbers of drummers and people playing whistles, together with 2 metre square flags and gambling prostitutes - stand out big red noisy blocks of people are pretty awe inspiring especially if they are giving it large that they are coming to kill you.

Says Percy Pongo! :boxing:

Droidage
04-05-2012, 10:44
French rifle for sale, never used, dropped once

TolkoRaz
04-05-2012, 10:47
French rifle for sale, never used, dropped once

:D

sashadidi
04-05-2012, 11:03
Apologies to the French members in Advance

Ok I will join in.

What do you expect from a culture and a nation that exerted more of its national will fighting against DisneyWorld and Big Macs than the Nazis?"

sashadidi
04-05-2012, 11:07
Along the same theme
Apologies to the French members in Advance.

An American tourist in London decides to skip his tour group and explore the city on his own. He wanders around, seeing the sights, and occasionally stopping at a quaint pub to soak up the local culture, chat with the lads, and have a pint of Guinness.

After a while, he finds himself in a very high class neighbourhood.....big, stately residences... no pubs, no stores, no restaurants, and worst of all... NO PUBLIC TOILETS.

He really, really has to go, after all those Guinness's.

He finds a narrow side street, with high walls surrounding the adjacent buildings and decides to use the wall to solve his problem.

As he is unzipping, he is tapped on the shoulder by a London Bobby, who says, "I say, sir, you simply cannot do that here, you know."

"I'm very sorry, officer," replies the American, "but I really, really HAVE TO GO, and I just can't find a public toilet."

"Ah, yes," said the bobby..."Just follow me".

He leads him to a back "delivery alley", then along a wall to a gate, which he opens.

"In there," points the bobby. "Whiz away sir, anywhere you want."

The fellow enters and finds himself in the most beautiful garden he has ever seen. Manicured grass lawns, statuary, fountains, sculpted hedges, and huge beds of gorgeous flowers, all in perfect bloom.

Since he has the cop's blessing, he unburdens himself and is greatly relieved.

As he goes back through the gate, he says to the bobby, "That was really decent of you... is that what you call 'English Hospitality'?"

"No, sir" replies the bobby, "that is what we call the French Embassy."

yakspeare
04-05-2012, 11:10
Well the Brits weren't known for their army, it was their Navy that was feared and "ruled the waves"... and of course the Navy is the senior service....

DarthVader71
04-05-2012, 12:59
Because we SA's f#$%% them up so well

Ibanez
04-05-2012, 13:28
The English are feeling the pinch in relation to recent terrorist threats, and have therefore raised their security level from "Miffed" to "Peeved". Soon, though, security levels may be raised yet again to "Irritated" or even "A Bit Cross". The English have not been "A Bit Cross" since the blitz in 1940, when tea supplies nearly ran out. Terrorists have been re-categorized from "Tiresome" to "A Bloody Nuisance". The last time the British issued a "Bloody Nuisance" warning level was in 1588, when threatened by the Spanish Armada.

The Scots have raised their threat level from "Pissed Off" to "Let's get the Bastards". They don't have any other levels. This is the reason they have been used on the front line of the British army for the last 300 years.

The French government announced yesterday that it has raised its terror alert level from "Run" to "Hide". The only two higher levels in France are "Collaborate" and "Surrender". The rise was precipitated by a recent fire that destroyed France's white flag factory, effectively paralyzing the country's military capability.

Italy has increased the alert level from "Shout Loudly and Excitedly" to "Elaborate Military Posturing". Two more levels remain: "Ineffective Combat Operations" and "Change Sides".

The Germans have increased their alert state from "Disdainful Arrogance" to "Dress in Uniform and Sing Marching Songs". They also have two higher levels: "Invade a Neighbor" and "Lose".

Belgians, on the other hand, are all on holiday as usual; the only threat they are worried about is NATO pulling out of Brussels.

The Spanish are all excited to see their new submarines ready to deploy. These beautifully designed subs have glass bottoms so they can get a really good look at the old Spanish navy.

Americans meanwhile, and as usual, are carrying out pre-emptive strikes on all of their allies "just in case".

Canada doesn't have any alert levels.

New Zealand has raised its security levels - from "baaa" to "BAAAA". Due to continuing defense cutbacks, New Zealand has only one more level of escalation, which is "I hope Australia will come and rescue us".

Australia, meanwhile, has raised its security level from "No worries" to "She'll be alright, mate". Three more escalation levels remain: "Crikey!", "I think we'll need to cancel the barbie this weekend" and "The barbie is cancelled". So far no situation has ever warranted use of the final escalation level