PDA

View Full Version : Firefox 3 soon ready, but...

05-10-2007, 11:56
Gran Paradiso the latest version of Firefox is nearing release. Gran Paradiso includes a form of malware protection that checks every URL against a known list of sites. It does so by sending each URL to Google.

In other words, if people enable this feature, they get some malware protection, and Google gets a wealth of information about which sites are popular. If you also use a Gmail account and have stored cookies, Google will know a lot about which sites you are visiting.

The feature is disabled by default, better to let it like that!

Pobman
05-10-2007, 12:04
Gran Paradiso the latest version of Firefox is nearing release.

I hope they make it better and easier to manage in a corporate environment than Firefox 2.X.

Fantastika
06-10-2007, 23:21
Gran Paradiso — the latest version of Firefox — is nearing release. Gran Paradiso includes a form of malware protection that checks every URL against a known list of sites. It does so by sending each URL to Google.

In other words, if people enable this feature, they get some malware protection, and Google gets a wealth of information about which sites are popular. If you also use a Gmail account and have stored cookies, Google will know a lot about which sites you are visiting.

I can just imagine Microsoft doing something beneficial like that, right. :rolleyes: "Everything on your computer is owned by Microsoft, copyright and trademark, and you are allowed a temporary license to use it (your computer and most of the major programs). However any problem you encounter on your computer is your fault and you bear sole responsibility."

Fantastika
07-10-2007, 18:26
Gran Paradiso — the latest version of Firefox — is nearing release. Gran Paradiso includes a form of malware protection that checks every URL against a known list of sites. It does so by sending each URL to Google.

I misunderstood the intent of your post...

Google has seemed to me to act in a "beneficial" manner, as compared to other internet giants, like Microsoft...

When the search engines were allowed in China, Yahoo! and MSN search quietly complied 100% with Chinese demands for censorship. :ignore: Google publicly protested, but finally agreed to a limited censorship...So instead of criticizing the cowardly Yahoo and Microsoft, the media targeted Google!

Google is the friendly dolphin in the internet swimming pool, giving us free access to the world's accumulated knowledge. Microsoft is the Great White Shark. God forbid, the MicroRat gets control of the internet...

Pobman
08-10-2007, 07:57
I can just imagine Microsoft doing something beneficial like that, right. :rolleyes: "Everything on your computer is owned by Microsoft, copyright and trademark, and you are allowed a temporary license to use it (your computer and most of the major programs). However any problem you encounter on your computer is your fault and you bear sole responsibility."

You level of 'ownership' depends more on your license type, OEM, Retail, Select (and the various levels of select)... the Retail license is pretty liberal as far as software licensing goes.

08-10-2007, 09:42
You level of 'ownership' depends more on your license type, OEM, Retail, Select (and the various levels of select)... the Retail license is pretty liberal as far as software licensing goes.

I wonder who has a valid license for Windows... At least in Russia!

Pobman
08-10-2007, 10:59
I wonder who has a valid license for Windows... At least in Russia!

Um.... our office has... and I have at home here.

08-10-2007, 11:40
Um.... our office has... and I have at home here.

The same at home than at your office ? :rolleyes:

Pobman
08-10-2007, 11:48
The same at home than at your office ? :rolleyes:

We have MS Select with employee purchase option.