PDA

View Full Version : Parents are coming for 5 days

TheLockswitcher
17-04-2012, 16:31
Hi all,

Any recommendations where I can take my parents for five days while in Moscow?

They would like to see the best art galleries, museums, the opera/ballet perhaps, anything interesting that is Russian. Places that will give a sense of Russia to a foreign couple. The don't speak Russian, so it would be best if you can recommend places that offer things in the English language too. Also, any restaurants that serve typical Russian food.

Thanks for your help in advance!

robertmf
17-04-2012, 16:39
Hi all,

Any recommendations where I can take my parents for five days while in Moscow?

Is the circus in town :question:

PeteD
17-04-2012, 18:30
The Kremlin, obviously, Tchaikovsky Theatre, usually has performances during the day and evening, Bolshoi Ballet, National Science Museum, Booze Bub (!) Gorky Park, River Cruise...

5 days isn't long!

Judge
17-04-2012, 21:39
Check this site out for more ideas...
http://en.travel2moscow.com/what/routes/
The boats on the Moscow River are working now, you could take a ride on the river, get to see some sites the easy way ,save you walking..

Ibanez
17-04-2012, 21:43
The Kremlin, obviously, Tchaikovsky Theatre, usually has performances during the day and evening, Bolshoi Ballet, National Science Museum, Booze Bub (!) Gorky Park, River Cruise...

5 days isn't long!

Pete, when do the river cruises start?

Ibanez
17-04-2012, 21:44
Sorry Judge, just saw your post.

Judge
17-04-2012, 21:46
I saw them cleaning and preparing the boats this afternoon...
Boats leave from near Kievskaya metro station..

Ibanez
17-04-2012, 21:54
Actually, I was actually just contemplating the connection between the words "parents are coming for 5 days" and " lockswitcher"...think many of us might want to change locks in this event...

PeteD
17-04-2012, 21:56
Actually, I was actually just contemplating the connection between the words "parents are coming for 5 days" and " lockswitcher"...think many of us might want to change locks in this event...

Run, Forrest, Run!!!!

Tony P
17-04-2012, 23:37
On Saturday evenings (say 10ish onwards) Воробьевы Горы by the University is well worth a visit.

Not for just for the bikers pageant but all the other street entertainment going on.
The evening/night view across Moscow isn't too bad, either.

Arthuro
18-04-2012, 02:45
For restaurant try Russkaya Okhota. Decent one with English menu and English-speaking staff (as I remember)

Sometimes there are discounts through groupon-like sites

rusmeister
18-04-2012, 05:53
I envy you that, LS. My father talked about coming, then died, and my mother, having adopted a Mexican invalid (now pretty much full-grown but not able to take care of himself), will never come.

For my money, an authentic Russian experience would not be in art galleries and so on, but with a Russian family - maybe that of a friend. If you had a Russian friend who could host you for a day or an overnighter, that would be more of a genuine Russian experience to my way of thinking - and be cheaper. If not, then it won't be as much Russian as a basic international tourist experience,

All the best!

TheLockswitcher
20-04-2012, 02:08
I envy you that, LS. My father talked about coming, then died, and my mother, having adopted a Mexican invalid (now pretty much full-grown but not able to take care of himself), will never come.

For my money, an authentic Russian experience would not be in art galleries and so on, but with a Russian family - maybe that of a friend. If you had a Russian friend who could host you for a day or an overnighter, that would be more of a genuine Russian experience to my way of thinking - and be cheaper. If not, then it won't be as much Russian as a basic international tourist experience,

All the best!

I'm sorry to hear about your misfortune.
Unfortunately I haven't any Russian friends who live in close-by in Moscow.
I guess international tourist experience it is!:)

Thanks for the ideas everyone! Anyone have anything else? :)

KennyK
20-04-2012, 13:33
For really great food, caucasian mainly, but the freshest tasting vegetables, and fantastic shashlik, and best khachapuri in Moscow, go to Skazka Vostoka near Frunzenskaya. http://www.skazkavostoka1001night.ru/

Seraskier
08-05-2012, 19:49
For really great food, caucasian mainly, but the freshest tasting vegetables, and fantastic shashlik, and best khachapuri in Moscow, go to Skazka Vostoka near Frunzenskaya.

That sounds a very good idea.

mds45
08-05-2012, 21:00
The National Army museum is great, from pieces of the Kursk , Gary powers U2 wreckage and the eagle that was on top of the Reichtag in Berlin at the end of WW2
The also have outside a huge amount of soviet tanks, aeroplanes and missiles if you're into that kind of thing :)