PDA

View Full Version : Arbat Irish House????

susanx
16-04-2012, 10:10
In 1995, I used to live in an apartment on the corner of Old Arbat & Serebryanyy Pereulok, & I used to walk up to the dead-end of Serebryanyy Pereulok, & then walk up some steps to Novy Arbat & the Arbat Irish House. Is the Arbat Irish House still open at Novy Arbat 13???? If so, what is their current phone number???? Is the area code still 095???? If it's still open, does the Arbat Irish House still sell food???? Is there still a pedestrian access between the dead-end of Serebryanyy Pereulok & Novy Arbat????

Disco Kings
16-04-2012, 10:20
In 1995, I used to live in an apartment on the corner of Old Arbat & Serebryanyy Pereulok, & I used to walk up to the dead-end of Serebryanyy Pereulok, & then walk up some steps to Novy Arbat & the Arbat Irish House. Is the Arbat Irish House still open at Novy Arbat 13???? If so, what is their current phone number???? Is the area code still 095???? If it's still open, does the Arbat Irish House still sell food???? Is there still a pedestrian access between the dead-end of Serebryanyy Pereulok & Novy Arbat????

Area code is now 495

As for the rest, well don't know but I remember that place, long time ago.

Benedikt
16-04-2012, 10:25
and the Pub is still open and serves,well lets make it that way -food-. but since the Irish were pushed out from the supermarket and Danny McLaughlin (hope got the spelling right). And more or less from that day on i never went back there. And the supermarket is also for the birds. overpriced, sour,rude STILL cccp employees, this is the ONE THING that has not changed since the -locals- had taken over.

Judge
16-04-2012, 10:34
There's an Irish pub called ''Shamrock'' at 11 Novy Arbat.

Sparafucile
16-04-2012, 11:00

Ancient history and stories for the archives now, I fear ;)

As mentioned above, there is still a now-shamefully bad "Irish Pub" on the premises, but nothing else remains.

There is a supermarket inside the shopping centre, but it's nothing to do with Ireland. Dull standard stuff at ultra-high prices.

There are much, much better supermarkets in Moscow these days :)

There is a rather decent cocktail lounge called Vision on the premises now, however :)

- Sparafucile (another veteran of Ye Olden Days in post-Gorby Moscow ;) )

Benedikt
16-04-2012, 14:59
There's an Irish pub called ''Shamrock'' at 11 Novy Arbat.

but they are as much irish as i am german.

susanx
16-04-2012, 20:35
FORWARD: FW: Letter2editor: Moscow

From j.chater AT moscownews.ru Sun Apr 15 23:35:31 2012
Subject: FW: Letter2editor: Moscow
Date: Mon, 16 Apr 2012 10:35:31 +0400
To: susan172992 AT yahoo.com
Cc: n.toohey AT mnweekly.ru

Dear Susan,
The Shamrock Irish Bar is still at that address but the phone number is now (495) 691 7681. (Moscow area codes are now 495 and 499, not 095) The building it is located in was formerly called the Arbat Irish House. Now it is called Novoarbatsky Torgovy Tsentr (Novoarbatsky Trade Center) - (495) 691 10 34, 690 52 72 - and yes there is a supermarket.
Jennifer Chater
The Moscow News

С уважением,
Чатер Дженнифер Патрисия
Редактор
Редакция Московские Новости
РИА Новости

Телефон: +7 495-645-6601 (7588)
Мобильный:
E-mail: j.chater AT moscownews.ru

susanx
16-04-2012, 22:43

Since I lived so close, I bought most of my groceries from the Arbat Irish House, but I also occasionaly went to the Sadko Arcade Foodland, 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, which is now the site of the Expocentre. Does anybody remember the Sadko Arcade Foodland???? Evidently, there's a new metro station just across the street now, Metro Station Vystavochnyy, but in 1995, the closest one was Metro Station Ulitsa 1905 Goda, but I'd also usually stop at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 12 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, & I enjoyed walking along the river for a few blocks.

susanx
17-04-2012, 00:22
According to a Google Map Street View, there's a MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket now at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, that's surrounded by a fence with guards. Is it still open for buisness, & if so, can anyone shop there, or do you need a special ID card? In 1995, anyone could shop at Sadko Arcade Foodland!

susanx
17-04-2012, 02:25
When I was in Moscow in 1995, very few Russian food stores sold chocolate milk, and the chocolate milk that the Irish Arbat House sold was in flexible plastic bags, & I had to cut one corner off with a pair of sissors, & then pour it all out!!!! A few Russian food stores occasionally carried chocolate milk in regular 1 liter containers, but very seldom!!!! Do any food stores still sell milk in flexible plastic bags???? Do any food stores sell chocolate milk in 2 or 4 liter regular containers like in the U.S.???? Do any food stores sell strawberry milk in 1 or 2 liter regular containers like in the U.S.????

susanx
17-04-2012, 03:11
According to a Google Map Street View, there's a MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket now at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, & it's surrounded by a fence with guards. Is it still open for buisness, & if so, can anyone shop there, or do you need a special ID card? In 1995, anyone could shop at Sadko Arcade Foodland!

Also, according to the following website, there's a MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket now at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya:

http://www.intermtd.ru

http://www.intermtd.ru/new-index.php?page=proezd

susanx
17-04-2012, 04:06
#1. The man who brought duty-free to Moscow:

http://themoscownews.com/bizfeature/20100628/187898763.html

#2. Arbat Irish House Patrons Victimized by Bandits [Published on 30 October 1992 & written by Judi Buehrer]:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/irish-house-patrons-victimized-by-bandits/220481.html

#3. Arbat Irish House Taken Over by Russian Partners [Published on 29 April 1995 & written by Anton Zhigulsky and Jeremy Weinberg]:

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/irish-house-taken-over-by-russian-partners/339797.html

#4. According to the bottom of the following website, the Shamrock Irish Bar & the Arbat Irish House were still open at Novy Arbat 11 on Saturday 29 July 2000:

"Basic instincts: It's brash, flash -- and sexist. Jonathan Glancey offers an up-to-the-minute guide to nightlife in the Russian capital"

http://www.guardian.co.uk/travel/2000/jul/29/russia.moscow

#5. According to the following website, the Arbat Irish House was listed under "MAJOR DEPARTMENT STORES", & still open at Novy Arbat 13 with phones of 291-7636 & 291-7641, & a fax of 291-7185 on 28 January 2003.

http://www.infoservices.com/moscow/2517.htm

#6. According to the following website, the Arbat Irish House was listed under "FASHION BOUTIQUES IN MOSCOW", & still open at Novy Arbat 13 with phones of 291-7636 & 291-7641, & a fax of 291-7185 on 29 September 2004.

http://www.typmoscow.com/110.htm

#7. According to the following website, the Shamrock Irish Bar & the Arbat Irish House were still open in 2008 at Novy Arbat 13 with a phone of 291-7681:

http://www.europeanirish.com/pubs_details.php?module_id=2141

robertmf
17-04-2012, 04:12
When I was in Moscow in 1995, very few Russian food stores sold chocolate milk, and the chocolate milk that the Irish Arbat House sold was in flexible plastic bags, & I had to cut one corner off with a pair of sissors, & then pour it all out!!!! A few Russian food stores occasionally carried chocolate milk in regular 1 liter containers, but very seldom!!!! Do any food stores still sell milk in flexible plastic bags???? Do any food stores sell chocolate milk in 2 or 4 liter regular containers like in the U.S.???? Do any food stores sell strawberry milk in 1 or 2 liter regular containers like in the U.S.????

**Robert rolling eyeballs** :whisper: 20 years before that, there was no milk unless you had a cow.

You used vodka or kvass as a substitute.

Benedikt
17-04-2012, 07:02

and also in smaller plastic bottles, i think it is 300 ml or so. Vanille,Banana, Chocolate, Strawberry ( in russian language look out for Коктаил).Wimm Bill Dann I think is the producer.

Benedikt
17-04-2012, 07:17
Since I lived so close, I bought most of my groceries from the Arbat Irish House, but I also occasionaly went to the Sadko Arcade Foodland, 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, which is now the site of the Expocentre. Does anybody remember the Sadko Arcade Foodland???? Evidently, there's a new metro station just across the street now, Metro Station Vystavochnyy, but in 1995, the closest one was Metro Station Ulitsa 1905 Goda, but I'd also usually stop at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 12 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, & I enjoyed walking along the river for a few blocks.

they had the best bakery and butchery (in house) at that time in ALL Moscow. It was a Swiss company who opened the place. Long before all these shopping centers and malls.Crown Plaza was then called Mehsdunarodnaya and was famous (infamous?) for that metal cock that crowed, and LOOOOUUUD, every hour.Not one guest wanted to literally twist his neck because he started at 6 am. Only later then he started aout 8 am. In the lobby they had a Viennese Cafe, with an Austrian Chef. Meeting place for most of us.
The C&C was indeed for good shopping, associated with the METRO group, but without the card.The first Metro was in Moshaisk. The had a showroom where on the shelves they had 1 ITEM of each of the things they had in the store. (It was mainly food and a little bit -hardware- back then. You got a clip board, walked through the aisles and looked what was there. Then you wrote it on or ticked it off the shopping list ( not quite sure about it anymore). Handed in the clip board and went to the coffee shop to have a chat and a beer or a snack to eat and a chat ( Micheal O'Leary, could he been the Boss there or am i mistaken?)And your trolley was loaded quickly, minus the items that were out of stock back in the store or maybe only ONE can Sauerkraut instead of 10.....

That were the good old times...:applause:

Judge
17-04-2012, 10:42
but they are as much irish as i am german.

You're right chef..I can't really say much about the place..Only been once and that was St Paddy's day....

Periwinkle
17-04-2012, 13:04
I have seen Hershey's chocolate syrup at Stockmanns, that is what I use to make chocolate milk.

Benedikt
17-04-2012, 16:25
I have seen Hershey's chocolate syrup at Stockmanns, that is what I use to make chocolate milk.

chocolate and strawberry milk from -Prostakvasha- that is the brand with the cat in the undershirt on the label.-Matroskin- is his name... every kid will know it if yo udon't see it on the shelf, just ask them and they will show you.

susanx
18-04-2012, 03:20
chocolate and strawberry milk from Prostakvasha -- that is the brand with the cat in the undershirt on the label -- Matroskin is his name -- every kid will know it -- if you don't see it on the shelf, just ask them, and they will show you.

#1. Does the chocolate and strawberry milk from Prostakvasha come in regular containers?

#2. What sizes? Anything larger than 1 liter?

#3. Do any Russian government stores sell those, or just stores like Stockmanns?

susanx
18-04-2012, 04:54
Since I lived so close to the Arbat Irish House, in an apartment on the corner of Old Arbat & Serebryanyy Pereulok, & I could walk up to the dead-end of Serebryanyy Pereulok, & then walk up some steps to Novy Arbat & the Arbat Irish House, I bought most of my groceries from the Arbat Irish House -- but I also occasionally went to the Sadko Arcade Foodland, 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab, which is now the site of the Expocentre. Does anybody remember the Sadko Arcade Foodland???? Evidently, there's a new metro station just across the street now -- Metro Station Vystavochnyy -- but in 1995, the closest one was Metro Station Ulitsa 1905 Goda -- but I'd also usually stop at the Crowne Plaza Hotel at 12 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab, & I enjoyed walking along the river for a few blocks. According to a Google Map Street View, there's also a MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket now at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, & it's surrounded by a fence with guards. Is it still open for buisness, & if so, can anyone shop there, or do you need a special ID card? In 1995, anyone could shop at Sadko Arcade Foodland! Also, according to the following website, there's a MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket now at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya:

They had the best bakery and butchery (in house) at that time in ALL Moscow. It was a Swiss company who opened the place. Long before all these shopping centers and malls.

Crown Plaza was then called Mehsdunarodnaya, and was famous (infamous?) for that metal cock that crowed, and LOOOOUUUD, every hour. Not one guest wanted to literally twist his neck because he started at 6 am. Only later then, he started about 8 am. In the lobby, they had a Viennese Cafe, with an Austrian Chef. Meeting place for most of us.

The C&C was indeed good for shopping, associated with the METRO group, but without the card. The first Metro was in Moshaisk. They had a showroom where on the shelves they had 1 ITEM of each of the things they had in the store. (It was mainly food, and a little bit of hardware back then.) You got a clip board, walked through the aisles, and looked at what was there. Then you wrote it on, or ticked it off the shopping list (not quite sure about it anymore). Handed in the clip board, and went to the coffee shop to have a chat and a beer, or a snack to eat and a chat. (Micheal O'Leary -- could he have been the Boss there, or am I mistaken?) And your trolley was loaded quickly, minus the items that were out-of-stock back in the store, or maybe only ONE can of Sauerkraut instead of of 10..... Those were the good old times...: applause:

#1. I now remember that the Sadko Arcade Foodland & the C&C at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab were separate buisnesses!!!!

#2. I also think that the Sadko Arcade Foodland had some kind of cafe or cafeteria. Do you remember exactly what it was?

#3. Do you remember about when the Sadko Arcade Foodland closed, or was sold?

#4. Do you remember about when the Mehsdunarodnaya Hotel changed it's name to Crown Plaza? Is that when the crowing metal cock was removed? Was the Mehsdunarodnaya Hotel a joint-venture?

#5. Did the Metro C&C at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab sell to Inter MTD C&C?

#6. Have you ever been to the Inter MTD C&C at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab?

#7. Besides going to the Sadko Arcade Foodland at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab, did you also go to the C&C at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab?

#8. Maybe I'm wrong, but I think that when I went to the C&C at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab, that I could just get something off the shelves without writing on a clipboard.

#9. However, I do know that when I went to the C&C at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab, that I didn't have to show any ID!!!! When did that start????

Benedikt
18-04-2012, 09:39
[COLOR="Red"]
#1. Does the chocolate and strawberry milk from Prostakvasha come in regular containers?

no, as i wrote they come in 250/300 ml plastic bottles

#2. What sizes? Anything larger than 1 liter?

since they are for kids they do not come in ANY other size but the small bottles that a kid can drink one time.

[COLOR="red"]#3. Do any Russian government stores sell those, or just stores like Stockmanns?

Most probably Stockmann might NOT have it, but every Gastronom, Perekrestok and the like have it.

Benedikt
18-04-2012, 09:42
SADKO and the Mesh ( as it was called) were our watering holes.
Then i left the area and went back seldom, so no answer to all your questions.
Except to 8 ( i think), clipboard was NOT used at the C&C indeed, and i did not write it, but it was used at the METRO in Moshaisk.

susanx
18-04-2012, 15:09
On Apr 10, 2012, at 11:14 PM, Susan wrote to info@passportmagazine.ru:

#1. When I was in Moscow in 1995, I used to go to Sadko Foodland at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, & it was open to everyone!!!!

#2. However, according to Google Map Street View, it now has a fence with security guards!!!! Is that true???? Can everybody still go there????

#3. Do they have a website???? Do they have an email address???? What's their phone number????

#4. I also think that in 1995, that they also had a restaurant or cafeteria. Do they have a restaurant or cafeteria now????

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

To: "Susan"<susan172992@yahoo.com>
Sent: Tuesday, April 10, 2012 11:34 PM
Subject: RE: Sadko Foodland????

It's closed building there is owned by Basic Element Deripaska -- scheduled to be remodeled -- but all projects frozen by new mayor Sergey Sobyanin.

Sergey Sobyanin - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Originally built in 1992

Sadko Arcade
Address : Krasnopresnenskaya Nab., 14
Phone : 259-5656
Fax : 973-2185

John Ortega, General Director, International Apparel, Passport Magazine

http://www.intlapparel.ru

http://www.passportmagazine.ru

+74956200888 Office, +79857842834 Mobile

jortega@intlapparel.ru

jortega@worldcommandcenter.com

GS PARK
Projektiruemi Proezd No 3610 2nd Floor
Moscow 115054 Russia

Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:33 AM
Subject: From Expomeal

Dear Susan!

The company Sadko Arkada no longer exists. On-site restaurants are located in Pavilions. If you are interested in visiting restaurants, it is best to visit them in Moscow-City, located 200 meters from the Expocentre. Moscow-City is the new business center of Moscow.

Gennady Kostin.

Deputy General Director of the LLC "Экспомил".

+7(499)255-4002

+7(499)795-2608

On 17.04.2012 23:41, susan wrote to soft@intermtd.ru:

To Whom It May Concern at Inter MTD Cash & Carry:

#1. According to a Google Map Street View, there's a MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket now at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya, & it's surrounded by a fence with guards. Is it still open for buisness, & if so, can anyone shop there, or do you need a special ID [identification] card?

#2. Also, according to the following website, there's a MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket now at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya:

#3. Maybe the Sadko Arcade Foodland, which is now closed, was in a different building????

#4. Someone else just told me that Sadko Arcade Foodland was a Swiss company. Is that true???? Do you know when they closed????

To: "Susan" <susan172992@yahoo.com>
Cc:
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 2:44 AM
Subject: RE: Sadko Foodland????

Dear Susan!

MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket is open to all, and anyone can shop there.

The company Sadko Arkada no longer exists.

Bondarenko Sergey,

ZAO "Inter MTD"

Office +7 (499) 252-41-65

#1. According to the following website, under the listing of Large Supermarkets, Foodland was still open at the Expocenter on 28 January 2003:

http://www.infoservices.com/moscow/385.htm

#2. According to the following website, under the listing of Food Wholesalers, Expo-Shock N5 was still open at the Expocenter on 29 September 2004:

http://www.infoservices.com/moscow/401.htm

#3. Evidently, Expo-Shock N5 became the Inter MTD Cash & Carry Supermarket at the Expocenter.

susanx
18-04-2012, 22:50
Sent: Wednesday, April 11, 2012 1:33 AM
Subject: From Expomeal

Dear Susan!

The company Sadko Arkada no longer exists. On-site restaurants are located in Pavilions. If you are interested in visiting restaurants, it is best to visit them in Moscow-City, located 200 meters from the Expocentre. Moscow-City is the new business center of Moscow.

Gennady Kostin.

Deputy General Director of the LLC "Экспомил".

+7(499)255-4002

+7(499)795-2608

Moscow City or Moscow International Business Center:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moscow_City

Official Moscow International Business Center Site:

http://www.citynext.ru

City Towers Forum:

http://www.citytowers.ru/index.php

City Towers English Forum:

http://www.citytowers.ru/viewforum.php?id=32

International SkyscraperCity Forum:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/index.php

European SkyscraperCity Forum:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=674

Russian SkyscraperCity Forum:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=345

Moscow International Business Center Forum:

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1016

susanx
19-04-2012, 06:47
#1. According to the following URL, the first Metro C & C in the city of Moscow started in 2001:

http://www.metrogroup.de/internet/site/metrogroup/node/163211/Len/index.html

#2. According to the following URL, the first Metro C & C in the Moscow region, in Tomilino, started in 2007:

http://www.metro-cc.com/dynasite.cfm?dsmid=102730&dspaid=840670

#3. According to the following URL, you have to have a special bank card to shop at Metro C & C:

http://www.bm.ru/en/business/cards/metrocashandcarrycards

susanx
19-04-2012, 14:34
The first Metro was in Moshaisk.

#1. According to the following URL or website, the Moscow Metro C & C locations are:

Metro Cash & Carry’s Moscow Locations:

Leningradskoye Shosse,71

Ulitsa Shosseynaya, 2

B Ulitsa Ryabinovaya, d. 59

Prospekt Mira, 211 k. 1

Dmitrovskoye Shosse, d. 165

B Ulitsa Dorozhnaya d. 1 k. 1

http://www.moscovore.com/cooking-resources/supermarkets-and-grocery-store-reviews

#2. Is that list wrong or incomplete????

#3. Did Metro close their store in Moshaisk????

Judge
19-04-2012, 14:38
Susan, are you writing a travel/restaurant book about Moscow??:)

susanx
19-04-2012, 14:56
Susan, are you writing a travel/restaurant book about Moscow??:)

No, I just want to be as prepared as possible for my next trip, & it's hard to get information that's fully accurate.

Judge
19-04-2012, 15:01
No, I just want to be as prepared as possible for my next trip, & it's hard to get information that's fully accurate.

I see, if you don't have the special 'Metro' shopping card, you can shop at auchan supermarket.There are many of them around the city..

Matt24
19-04-2012, 15:14

Are you like, like the rainman dude? This is all like mondo detailed - you do know you're asking the internet to like check on things you've found on the internet? Let loose, hop the pond and come and find out for yourself.

susanx
19-04-2012, 21:39
There are many of them around the city.

Judge
19-04-2012, 21:42
Auchan is better, we now have Auchan mini-cities all over Moscow..

Like Matt said, hop over pond and enjoy life in Russia..

susanx
20-04-2012, 03:36
Auchan is better, we now have Auchan mini-cities all over Moscow..

Like Matt said, hop over pond and enjoy life in Russia..

#1. I've done a lot of traveling, & I've never seen a hypermarket that was as overall good for the money as Walmart, and you can also shop online or through the internet, and if you doubt that, just go to their website, and decide for yourself:

http://www.walmart.com

#2. It's also a fact that many Mexicans in Mexican border towns will cross the border just to shop at Walmart!!!!

#3. Did you know that Auchan is a French company?

Benedikt
20-04-2012, 07:24
#3. Did you know that Auchan is a French company?[/QUOTE]

maybe not intentionally and on purpose but i do NOT like shopping there and avoid them as much as possible. staff there is fairly rude, except the cashiers.
fruits and vegetables are of not good quality, prices on the shelves and then when rung up are frequently not the same 'sorry we did not have the time yet to change the prices' but in all fairness, WHEN complaining, you get your money back every time. but how many people check?
REAL are a good alternative, if you have no Metro card and a supermarket is nearby. (Real is -Metro without card-, it is owned by the same German group REWE)
I prefer shopping at the small shops near my home, get acquainted there and THERE i get friendly service and also amazing things that are not always available to everybody. or get tips before hand when something new or special is being expected. Ant i also count travelling time, time running through these huge hypermarkets and then waiting 1h at the checkout.Or sitting on the way there and back in an hour long traffic jan.

swansong
20-04-2012, 15:58
#1 for being about supermarkets, this has been way too intense
#2 if you are looking for the same value as walmart, don't bother
#3 Auchan is prob the closest thing. Service is ok. Selection is ok. Prices cheaper than most places (Pyaterochka is cheaper but then you are sacrificing selection). As Judge said, there are big'uns and mini'uns. Think of the bog ones as SuperWalmart. I prefer the big one at Gagarin Shopping Center near Leninsky Prskt and the small one at Capitoly near Universitet
#4 where's the adventure in emailing everyone about an old shop? Come explore!

susanx
20-04-2012, 16:09
REAL are a good alternative,

I hadn't heard of them before -- according to the following URL, they opened their first stores in Russia, in Moscow, in 2005, & they say that they're a hypermarket:

http://www.real-hypermarket.com/country-profile/russia.html

susanx
21-04-2012, 20:05
#1. In 1995, there was an English language newspaper called the Moscow Tribune -- is it still being published, &/or does anybody remember that????

#2. According to the following webpage or URL, the Moscow Tribune was still being published in Moscow as an English language newspaper 3 days/week on Tuesday, Wednesday, & Friday on 29 September 2004, with an address at 45 Leninskiy prosp., fl. 6, & phones of 135-1114 & 135-1118, & a fax of 564-8661, & a email of tribune@glasnet.ru -- I tried to send an email to tribune@glasnet.ru -- but it was returned, with a message saying that the email was invalid:

http://www.typmoscow.com/661.htm

#3. According to the following webpage or URL, there's a link to a website for the Moscow Tribune -- http://www.tribune.ru -- but it said that it was "Under construction", & when I clicked on "Our prodjects ........", it was all in Russian:

http://www.typmoscow.com

Disco Kings
21-04-2012, 20:26
In 1995, there was an English language newspaper called the Moscow Tribune -- is it still being published, &/or does anybody remember that????

No it's not, we have The Moscow Times and Moscow News.

susanx
21-04-2012, 21:31
Originally Posted by susanx:
In 1995, there was an English language newspaper called the Moscow Tribune -- is it still being published, &/or does anybody remember that????

No it's not, we have The Moscow Times and Moscow News.

Does the Moscow Tribune have some kind of online news, or is the following URL or webpage just out-of-date?:

http://www.tribune.ru/wmc/inter

Disco Kings
21-04-2012, 22:03
All I know are these,

www.themoscownews.com

www.themoscowtimes.com

Benedikt
21-04-2012, 22:49
[QUOTE=susanx;987259]#1. In 1995, there was an English language newspaper called the Moscow Tribune -- is it still being published, &/or does anybody remember that????

i remember the Trib, it was always second to the Moscow Times. Derek Sauer (MT) had mor $$ behind him. Trib is no more, also not anymore on the Internet.

susanx
21-04-2012, 23:37
#1. During my 1st trip to Moscow in the fall of 1993, I paid about $200/month to sleep on a couch in a small 2-room apartment with only 1 bathroom close to METRO PREOBRAZHENSKAYA PLOSHCHAD. About how much would that be now?

#2. During my 2nd trip to Moscow in the fall of 1995, I paid about $300/month for a private room in an apartment with 1 & 1/2 bathrooms at 18c1 Old Arbat, or the north-west corner of Old Arbat & Serebryanyy Pereulok. About how much would that be now?

#3. I do know that the apartment was on the north-west corner of Old Arbat & Serebryanyy Pereulok, but the address of "18c1 Old Arbat" is just what the Google Map says, & Google Maps sometimes have errors!!!!

susanx
22-04-2012, 01:27
#2. During my 2nd trip to Moscow in the fall of 1995, I paid about $300/month for a private room in an apartment with 1 & 1/2 bathrooms at 18c1 Old Arbat, or the north-west corner of Old Arbat & Serebryanyy Pereulok. About how much would that be now?

I should've also said that I had to share the 1 1/2 bathrooms with 4 or 5 other people.

susanx
22-04-2012, 21:55
#1. In regards to a telephone number, I couldn't get an exact definition of для звонков в выходные from online russian-english dictionaries, but my best guess is that it refers to a fax number &/or after-buisness-hours number -- is that correct?

#2. Doesn't the following URL or webpage say that для звонков в выходные refers to a fax number &/or after-buisness-hours number?

http://www.classcenter.ru/contact.shtml

swansong
24-04-2012, 15:26
can we lock this thread?

robertmf
24-04-2012, 16:03
#1. In regards to a telephone number, I couldn't get an exact definition of для звонков в выходные from online russian-english dictionaries, but my best guess is that it refers to a fax number &/or after-buisness-hours number -- is that correct?

#2. Doesn't the following URL or webpage say that для звонков в выходные refers to a fax number &/or after-buisness-hours number?

http://www.classcenter.ru/contact.shtml

After-hours number, maybe voicemail box.

Judge
24-04-2012, 17:46
can we lock this thread?

:11033:
It's a very informative thread, well worth turning into a book...

susanx
25-04-2012, 00:36
According to a Google Map Street View, & also the following URL or webpage, Exposhop Inter MTD has 2 buisnesses with separate entrances, a supermarket and a cash & cary, in the same large building, at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Nab:

http://maps.google.com

http://www.intermtd.ru/new-index.php?page=contact

susanx
29-04-2012, 01:30
#1. When I was in Moscow in 1995, I occasionally went to the Burger Queen restaurant at 25 Nikitskiy bulv, & it was still listed at the following URL on 29 September 2004, under "SIT-DOWN":

http://www.typmoscow.com/2367.htm

"Burger Queen:
Seating for 50, American cuisine: sandwiches, salads, French fries, desserts, ice-cream, cocktails, hot drinks, cold snacks
25 Nikitskiy bulv, Office:155-4080, Manager:203-1942; Fax:151-2952, Daily 8-23, Metro: Arbatskaya, Tverskaya"

#2. However, according to Google Map Street View, the name is now Делис Кафе or Delis cafe.

#3. Does anybody remember the Burger Queen, &/or know it's current status?

#4. According to the the following URL's, the Делис Кафе or Delis cafe is owned by the Novikov Group:

http://www.novikovgroup.ru/en

http://www.novikovgroup.ru/en/2/44/376

susanx
29-04-2012, 06:17
Does anyone remember Paul Klebnikov, &/or does anyone have an informed opinion of the following articles????:

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/articles/A45364-2004Jul12.html

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/europe/3882001.stm

Paul Klebnikov - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.cpj.org

http://www.cpj.org/killed/2004/paul-klebnikov.php

http://www.projectklebnikov.org/index.php

http://www.projectklebnikov.org/aboutpaul.php

http://www.paulklebnikovfund.org

http://www.paulklebnikovfund.org/about-paul.htm

Benedikt
29-04-2012, 14:04
[QUOTE=susanx;990605]#1. When I was in Moscow in 1995, I occasionally went to the Burger Queen restaurant at 25 Nikitskiy bulv, & it was still listed at the following URL on 29 September 2004, under "SIT-DOWN":

[

if you scroll to the bottom it says copyright 1995 to 2003...

Burger Queen is gone to burger heaven, then there was a -steakhouse- think it was sirloin or something, also closed, what is there now don't recall because have not been there a long time. just driving past with the car, to fast to read, but it is something with food.

susanx
29-04-2012, 20:09
#1. When I was in Moscow in 1995, I occasionally went to the Burger Queen restaurant at 25 Nikitskiy bulv, & it was still listed at the following URL on 29 September 2004, under "SIT-DOWN":

http://www.typmoscow.com/2367.htm

The top of the page says "File Created: 29-Sep-04".

Benedikt
30-04-2012, 07:40
The top of the page says "File Created: 29-Sep-04".

when/if i am driving past the place next time will have a closer look what is there now.

robertmf
30-04-2012, 16:07

Burger Queen is gone to burger heaven, then there was a -steakhouse- think it was sirloin or something, also closed, what is there now don't recall because have not been there a long time. just driving past with the car, to fast to read, but it is something with food.

Burger Queen @ OCT 1995 startup (http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/being-here-bold-burger-move-reaps-rewards/333767.html)

susanx
01-05-2012, 19:10
The first Metro Cash & Carry was in Moshaisk.

About how many miles or kilometers is Moshaisk from the center of Moscow? Also, why do some people spell it Mozhaisk? Is that store still open?

robertmf
01-05-2012, 19:13
About how many miles or kilometers is Moshaisk from the center of Moscow? Also, why do some people spell it Mozhaisk?

maps.google.com [Mozhaisk,Moscow]

'ж' is typically transliterated as 'zh'. 'ш' is 'sh'

susanx
02-05-2012, 00:47
According to the image posted by "robertmf" of the Burger Queen sign, the Russian name was a transliteration of Burger Queen, because according to the dictionary that I checked, the Russian word for queen is королева. Also, according to the dictionary that I checked, there was no Russian word for burger, & the Russian word for hamburger was булочка с котлетой.

robertmf
02-05-2012, 02:32
According to the image posted by "robertmf" of the Burger Queen sign, the Russian name was a transliteration of Burger Queen, because according to the dictionary that I checked, the Russian word for queen is королева. Also, according to the dictionary that I checked, there was no Russian word for burger, & the Russian word for hamburger was булочка с котлетой.

Sure, Look up the word "computer" :jester: It works the other way, too. vodka and водка

susanx
02-05-2012, 06:47
According to the image in the following URL, Burger King has been transliterated as БУРГЕР КИНГ:

http://newsblaze.com/story/2010012114351300002.bw/topstory.html

susanx
05-05-2012, 04:34
Business in Brief: 9 September 2002

-- Sadko, Russia's oldest supermarket chain, is shutting down after 13 years in the business. Sadko introduced Muscovites to quality products and good service at a time when retail brought 100 percent profits. Today, the company has lost interest in maintaining...

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/search/index.php?q=sadko&a_name=&arrFilter%5BSORT%5D=date_asc&arrFilter%5BDATES%5D=PERIUD&START_DATE=04%2F28%2F2012&END_DATE=05%2F05%2F2012&arrFilter%5BFULL%5D=Y&submit=Search

rusmeister
05-05-2012, 05:57
#3. Arbat Irish House Taken Over by Russian Partners [Published on 29 April 1995 & written by Anton Zhigulsky and Jeremy Weinberg]:

Zhigulsky is a good friend of mine and a good man. He's a rabid atheist, but we still get along very well.

Looks like you have to pay money to view the old MT articles. I suppose I could get him to cough his articles up.

i remember the Irish House in the old days, too. The only place we could get stuff in 1991 - ah, the lines to get in the door and the checking of passports...

susanx
06-05-2012, 23:51
#1. Evidently, the Sadko Arcade Foodland at 14 Krasnopresnenskaya Naberezhnaya shut down about 9 September 2002:

Moscow Times -- Buisness in Brief -- 9 September 2002:

.......... -- Sadko, Russia's oldest supermarket chain, is shutting down after 13 years in the business. Sadko introduced Muscovites to quality products and good service at a time when retail brought 100 percent profits. Today, the company has lost interest in maintaining.......... --

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/business-in-brief/243771.html

#2. Does anybody know whether or not they sold their stores to somebody else????

#3.

i remember the Irish House in the old days, too. The only place we could get stuff in 1991 - ah, the lines to get in the door and the checking of passports...

What about Sadko &/or Moscow Cash & Carry &/or Sedmoi Kontinent &/or Kalinka Stockmann &/or Eldorado????

susanx
07-05-2012, 02:03
#1. Sedmoi Kontinent to Move Into Wholesale -- 30 April 2002:

With the help of City Hall, Sedmoi Kontinent says it will spend some $400 million over the next few years to open 20 cash-and-carry wholesale outlets in Moscow, and challenge the dominance of German giant Metro in the nascent industry.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/sedmoi-to-move-into-wholesale/246635.html

#2. Sedmoi Kontinent Plans to Go Lux -- 4 June 2002:

Six of Sedmoi Kontinent's centrally located supermarkets will soon be transformed into luxury stores, and competing directly with the likes of Kalinka Stockmann, Eldorado and Sadko Arcade.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/sedmoi-kontinent-plans-to-go-lux/246125.html

#3. Sedmoi Kontinent Set for Expansion -- 07 April 2005 -- Reuters:

Sedmoi Kontinent, the country's only listed grocery chain, plans a major expansion to cash in on fast-growing purchasing power among consumers, general director Galina Ilyashenko said in an interview.

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/sedmoi-kontinent-set-for-expansion/224039.html

#4. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sedmoi_Kontinent

#5. http://corporate.7cont.ru

#6. Is Sedmoi Kontinent the biggest supermarket chain in Moscow now?

rusmeister
07-05-2012, 07:29
What about Sadko &/or Moscow Cash & Carry &/or Sedmoi Kontinent &/or Kalinka Stockmann &/or Eldorado????

well, in 1991 the only other one I heard of was Stockmann, and they sold expensive clothes. Don't remember them having a supermarket in '91. in '93 or '94 I remember Sadko as a small but decent supermarket near Smolenskaya. Didn't know anything about big chains. 7K and ED - didn't hear about them until the 2,000s.
Maybe they're older but they certainly weren't "in your face" or well-advertised.

Benedikt
07-05-2012, 09:46
they had their shop in the GUM. Small, overcrowded and dim lit. No cash, only credit cards.

susanx
08-05-2012, 03:03

well, in 1991 the only other one I heard of was Stockmann, and they sold expensive clothes. Don't remember them having a supermarket in '91. in '93 or '94 I remember Sadko as a small but decent supermarket near Smolenskaya. Didn't know anything about big chains. 7K and ED - didn't hear about them until the 2,000s. Maybe they're older but they certainly weren't "in your face" or well-advertised.

The following URL from November, 1994, lists the following other supermarkets, & notice that it says that Stockmann's of Finland is "the oldest Western-style supermarket in Moscow":

#1. Garden Ring Supermarket -- Ul. Bolshaya Sadovaya 1 -- The Garden Ring Supermarket is a Russian-Irish joint venture that carries mostly European products. It opened a new store earlier this year to accommodate its expanding clientele, which reportedly averages 10,000 customers per week.

#2. Ketcher Trade -- 1/15-B, Suite 354 Kotelnicheskaya nab -- Among other goods, Ketcher Trade imports poultry, beef and seafood from the United States.

#3. Lux Olympic Village -- This grocery store carries many different types of U.S. products, and wants to expand its variety of U.S. goods.

#4. Maxa Cash and Carry -- Silikatniy proezd 13 -- This Dutch-owned company wholesales a wide variety of grocery products.

#5. Megastok -- Ul. Barklaya 14 -- This firm is a distributor for 270 stores in Moscow and other Russian cities. It distributes primarily European products.

#6. Moscow Cash and Carry Mozhaisk Main Warehouse and Showroom -- Mozhaisk -- This German-owned firm is one of the largest wholesalers in the Moscow area. It carries predominantly European products. Historically, purchasing decisions have been made in Hamburg, but it is possible that they will be made in Russia in the future.

#7. Quality Products International -- Bolshoi Gnezdnykovskiy pereulok 10, Suite 624 -- This company is Moscow's biggest supplier of U.S. products. It is probably the most active U.S. food distribution company in European Russia, and has been a pioneer in developing the Russian market for U.S. consumer-ready foods and beverages.

#8. Sadko Arcade Foodland -- Krasnopresnenskaya nab -- This Russian-Swiss joint venture is one of the biggest Western-style supermarkets in Moscow. While most of its products are European, it has recently been expanding its U.S. selection.

#9. Stockmann's Supermarket -- 4/8 Zatsepskiy Val -- Stockmann's of Finland -- the oldest Western-style supermarket in Moscow -- directly imports the majority of its goods from Europe.

#10. Taroco Enterprises -- All-Russia Exhibition Center VVC, Propekt Mira -- Taroco Enterprises, a consumer goods distributor, is setting up a food distribution center in the Russian Federation.

http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m3723/is_n11_v6/ai_15945566

susanx
08-05-2012, 04:19

#1. After doing a search for "Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk" at the Moscow Times, I found 3 different articles on "Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk", but they didn't mention Metro:

ASPARAGUS TIPS: Fine Glass Of Bubbly Is Worth The Search -- 6 May 1998

... to procure a ticket to the Spring Champagne Dinner at the Hotel Baltschug Kempinski. Moscow Cash & Carry Moshaisk, the exclusive distributors of Veuve Cliquot Ponsardin, presented the evenin...

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/asparagus-tips-fine-glass-of-bubbly-is-worth-the-search/291256.html

Ruble Reform Plan Denied -- 30 June 1995

... commercial banks remained nervous, shaken by a telegram ordering them to transfer all cash rubles to government vaults by June 30. "Categorically -- there will be n... ... happen," said Michael O'Leary, director of sales and marketing at the wholesaler Moscow Cash & Carry Moshaisk. O'Leary said that some of his company's clients, especially kiosks and smal...

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/ruble-reform-plan-denied/337579.html

Will Rum Topple Vodka? -- 20 November 1993

... customers are Russian", said Michael O'Leary, sales and marketing director of Moscow Cash & Carry Moshaisk, Bacardi's exclusive distributor in Moscow. O'Leary said that to build awarenes...

http://www.themoscowtimes.com/business/article/will-rum-topple-vodka/216500.html

#2. After doing a search for "Moscow Cash Carry Mozhaisk" at the Moscow Times, I found 15 different articles on "Moscow Cash Carry Mozhaisk", but nothing on Metro.

#3. After doing a search for "Metro Cash Carry Moshaisk" at the Moscow Times, I found ZERO articles.

#4. After doing a search for "Metro Cash Carry Mozhaisk" at the Moscow Times, I found 1 unrelated article.

Periwinkle
08-05-2012, 07:25
Susan~ are you writing a book about yourself in Moscow in 1995 or some such? Do you want to know if these places are still there so you can take photos? What's up? Maybe a chapter about where you lived in Moscow in 1995? Today that would cost $$$$ instead of $$? Another chapter on why Walmart is better than Moscow cash and carry.....
Or is there just some deep interest in supermarkets and Burger Kveen?

susanx
08-05-2012, 19:44
Susan~ are you writing a book about yourself in Moscow in 1995 or some such? Do you want to know if these places are still there so you can take photos? What's up? Maybe a chapter about where you lived in Moscow in 1995? Today that would cost $$$$ instead of $$? Another chapter on why Walmart is better than Moscow cash and carry..... Or is there just some deep interest in supermarkets and Burger Kveen?

What's wrong with knowing history, & remembering how everything has changed???? You should know that Moscow has changed much more than most cities in the world in the last 25 years!!!!

susanx
08-05-2012, 21:37
Originally Posted by Benedikt:

The first Metro was in Moshaisk. .......... Micheal O'Leary -- could he have been the Boss there, or am I mistaken? ..........

#1. Articles in the Moscow Times on 30 June 1995 & 20 November 1993 said that Micheal O'Leary was sales director of Moscow Cash & Carry Moshaisk as in MoShaisk.

#2. Articles in the Moscow Times on 8 August 1998, 20 January 1998, 21 November 1995, 10 August 1994, 10 February 1994, & 23 June 1993 said that Micheal O'Leary was sales &/or marketing director of Moscow Cash & Carry Mozhaisk as in MoZhaisk.

#3. An article in the Moscow Times on 4 July 1995 said that Hans Jurgen Weise was general director of Moscow Cash & Carry Mozhaisk.

#4. Articles in the Moscow Times on 17 January 1995, 5 January 1995, 12 October 1994, & 23 December 1993 said that Sergei Kuptsov was president of Moscow Cash & Carry Mozhaisk.

#5. An article in the Moscow Times on 26 July 1994 said that Dmitry Ryleyev was a sales manager with Moscow Cash & Carry Mozhaisk.

#6. According to the following URL, Bernd Ockert was a senior executive for Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk from 1990 to 2003:

https://www.xing.com/profile/Bernd_Ockert

#7. According to the following URL, Alan Black was a sales manager at Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk from January 1995 to January 1997:

http://www.linkedin.com/pub/alan-black/4/39a/55b

susanx
09-05-2012, 01:26

The first Metro was in Moshaisk. .......... Micheal O'Leary -- could he have been the Boss there, or am I mistaken? ..........

#1. Articles in the Moscow Times on 30 June 1995 & 20 November 1993 said that Micheal O'Leary was sales director of Moscow Cash & Carry Moshaisk as in MoShaisk.

#2. Articles in the Moscow Times on 8 August 1998, 20 January 1998, 21 November 1995, 10 August 1994, 10 February 1994, & 23 June 1993 said that Micheal O'Leary was sales &/or marketing director of Moscow Cash & Carry Mozhaisk as in MoZhaisk.

#1. The articles in the Moscow Times said Michael, NOT Micheal!!!!

#2. Articles in the Moscow Times on 15 September 2009, 12 October 2006, 1 June 2005, 4 February 2004, 4 June 2003, 3 February 2003, & 25 January 2002 said that the CEO of Ryanair was Michael O'Leary, but evidently, according to the following URL, he's a different person:

"Michael O’Leary (Chief Executive Officer). Michael O’Leary has served as a director of Ryanair since November 1988 and was appointed Chief Executive Officer on January 1, 1994."

http://www.ryanair.com/ie/investor/senior-management

Benedikt
09-05-2012, 07:10
[QUOTE=susanx;995219]#1. The articles in the Moscow Times said Michael, NOT Micheal!!!!

sometimes my fingers are faster than my brain.and the spell check is not working all the time.:11629:

susanx
09-05-2012, 07:29
Benedikt, did you actually drive out to Moshaisk/Mozhaisk, or did Moscow Cash & Carry Moshaisk/Mozhaisk also have stores in Moscow?

Jack17
09-05-2012, 07:40
Susan, were you a fan of eXile?

Periwinkle
09-05-2012, 09:29
What's wrong with knowing history, & remembering how everything has changed???? You should know that Moscow has changed much more than most cities in the world in the last 25 years!!!!
This has gone way beyond - hey is this supermarket still there? It is bordering on obsessive, so I was wondering if there was a deeper point.

( and on a side note are you now stalking Micheal O'Leary? Just wondering because I should warn him)

Jack17
09-05-2012, 14:03
This has gone way beyond - hey is this supermarket still there? It is bordering on obsessive, so I was wondering if there was a deeper point.

( and on a side note are you now stalking Micheal O'Leary? Just wondering because I should warn him)
Periwinkle, what's the problem? Let the lady ask her questions. For me, it's rather entertaining. If it bothers you, just pour yourself a big glass of chocolate milk and skip the thread.

Periwinkle
09-05-2012, 14:30
Periwinkle, what's the problem? Let the lady ask her questions. For me, it's rather entertaining. If it bothers you, just pour yourself a big glass of chocolate milk and skip the thread.

I posted that because she reacted strongly when I asked if she was writing a book or a newspaper article. I am curious to know why she is digging so deeply into a bizarre topic for deep digging. People can answer if then want or not. if she has a secret obsession with Moscow supermarkets then so be it.

Benedikt
09-05-2012, 15:20
Benedikt, did you actually drive out to Moshaisk/Mozhaisk, or did Moscow Cash & Carry Moshaisk/Mozhaisk also have stores in Moscow?

and we actually drove out to Moshaisk and selected the goods as i described it.( clipboard through the showroom, then a cup of coffee and the order was ready,pay and drive back). At that time there was definitely no METRO in Moscow ( also in Moshaisk the name METRO was not there as I recall).And i do not recall when the C&C next to Sadko opened. After one year `i left `moscow, went to Tbilisi, and when i came back worked for different people with a different purchasing system.and i was not involved in purchasing anymore. we had a store man/ purchasing dept. doing all that.

susanx
09-05-2012, 15:43

#1. If you'll go to the following URL, you'll notice a note on the right side of the webpage summarizing the history of Metro in Austria, but if you'll click on the Russian flag, but not on the webpage for Russia, you'll notice the following note on the right side of the webpage summarizing the history of Metro in Russia, & it says that Metro entered Russia in 2001:

"Facts & Figures about Russia:

Russia is one of METRO Cash & Carry’s major growth markets. In 2001, the leading wholesale company was one of the first foreign trading companies to make the leap to the Russian market. Since then, METRO Cash & Carry has rapidly expanded its sales network –- in Moscow and the Moscow region alone, eleven stores have been opened in the last few years. In Siberia, too, METRO Cash & Carry already has five stores. In the most sparsely populated country of the world, the wholesale company is putting its expertise in logistics to the test. Trucks take around five days to deliver goods from the headquarters in Moscow to the stores in Siberia.

Market entry: 2001
Head Office: Moscow
No. of wholesale stores: 62
No. of employees: 18,054 (headcount as of December 2011)"

http://www.metro-cc.com/dynasite.cfm?dsmid=102742

#2. According to the following URL, there are no Metro stores in Moshaisk/Mozhaisk:

http://www.metro-cc.ru/public/home/stores

Benedikt
09-05-2012, 17:04
[QUOTE=susanx;995441]Originally Posted by Benedikt:

and now they have closed down long ago. Michaele O'Leary, if i still remember correct, told me why they choose the place first. They had no fresh fruits and vegetables as such, just canned goods. And there was no need for every day shopping, you went there once a week. Moshaisk was cheap, few hassles with authorities, space, on a main road to Moscow and not to far away.

susanx
09-05-2012, 23:58
#6. According to the following URL, Bernd Ockert was a senior executive for Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk from 1990 to 2003:

I think that I made a mistake, & I think that the following URL says that Bernd Ockert was a senior executive for "Vorsitzender des Vorstands" that owned &/or controlled Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk:

1990 -- 2003: Vorsitzender des Vorstands (Board member, Senior Executive (CEO, CFO, President))

Moscow Cash und Carry, Moshaisk

Industry: Retail, 51-200 employees

Jack17
10-05-2012, 00:24
I think that I made a mistake, & I think that the following URL says that Bernd Ockert was a senior executive for "Vorsitzender des Vorstands" that owned &/or controlled Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk:

1990 -- 2003: Vorsitzender des Vorstands (Board member, Senior Executive (CEO, CFO, President))

You never answered my question about eXile susanx. All their issues are online; I'd think that would be a major resource for your investigation.

susanx
10-05-2012, 01:21

When I first saw this, I thought that you meant the musical group:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_(American_band)

You never answered my question about eXile susanx. All their issues are online; I'd think that would be a major resource for your investigation.

#1. I just did a search in their archives for "Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk", "Moscow Cash Carry Mozhaisk", "Cash Carry Moshaisk", "Cash Carry Mozhaisk", "Moshaisk" & got nothing.

#2. I just did a search in their archives for "Mozhaisk", & got 3 unrelated articles.

#3. Evidently, their last issue was June 29, 2008.

http://www.exile.ru

Jack17
10-05-2012, 01:53
#1. I just did a search in their archives for "Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk

I have to say, yours is perhaps the most arcane interest I've ever seen on this site.

susanx
10-05-2012, 02:08
.......... and on a side note are you now stalking Micheal O'Leary? Just wondering because I should warn him

#1. As I've already said & shown, according to the Moscow Times, & as acknowledged by Benedikt after I showed it, it's Michael, not Micheal.

#2. As shown below, you should've also known that I was only trying to answer Benedikt's original question in Post #15:

The first Metro was in Moshaisk. .......... Micheal O'Leary, could he been the Boss there or am i mistaken? ..........

susanx
10-05-2012, 03:33
According to the following URL, Можайск should be transliterated as Mozhaysk, but I found no reference to Mozhaysk in the Moscow Times archives:

Mozhaysk - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Benedikt
10-05-2012, 07:19
[QUOTE=susanx;995684]According to the following URL, Можайск should be transliterated as Mozhaysk, but I found no reference to Mozhaysk in the Moscow Times archives:

who needed to know ( hospitality industry in general, small stores and restaurants) knew who they were and where to find them. i am sure not everything was above board. if i remember correctly the store rented space in a (unused/ underused/closed down?) library and the rent there for sure did not find the way into the city coffers. so be it, for me C&C (at that time i had not heard of the name METRO) was a source of products that were not available anywhere else.

susanx
10-05-2012, 20:37

I just checked an online German-English dictionary, & it said that Vorsitzender des Vorstands in German means Chairman of the Board of Directors in English:

http://www.translation.babylon.com/german/to-english

susanx
11-05-2012, 00:00
Originally Posted by Jack17:

susanx replied:

When I first saw this, I thought that you meant the musical group:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Exile_(American_band)

Originally Posted by Jack17:

susanx replied:

#1. I just did a search in their archives for "Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk", "Moscow Cash Carry Mozhaisk", "Cash Carry Moshaisk", "Cash Carry Mozhaisk", "Moshaisk", & got nothing.

#2. I just did a search in their archives for "Mozhaisk", & got 3 unrelated articles.

#3. Evidently, their last issue was June 29, 2008.

http://www.exile.ru

#1. I just did a search in the archives of eXile for "Mozhaysk" & "Michael O'Leary", & got nothing.

#2. I think that the best source of information about Moscow Cash Carry Moshaisk/Mozhaisk/Mozhaysk would be the following forum, & I just joined:

http://www.mozhay.ru

http://forum.mozhay.ru

#3. This is my 1st post, & you can check for replies:

http://forum.mozhay.ru/topic/1714-%d0%bd%d0%b0%d0%bb%d0%b8%d1%87%d0%bd%d1%8b%d0%b5-%d0%b4%d0%b5%d0%bd%d1%8c%d0%b3%d0%b8-%d0%b8-%d0%ba%d0%b5%d1%80%d1%80%d0%b8/page__pid__23126#entry23126

#4. I used the following URL for translation:

http://www.rustran.com

#5. What do you think of the translation????