PDA

View Full Version : married in US, but want to become RU citizen

elikiera
12-04-2012, 19:36
I am both a Russian (by birth) and US (naturalized) citizen. I live in America, and married an American 3 years ago. He would like to apply for Russian citizenship now so that we can go live in Russia.

I've found a lot of helpful info here about how to apply for TRP and PRP, etc., but I have no idea where we should start, since right now we are living in the states. Can we apply for a PRP at the consulate in Washington DC and then go to Russia with that? Or do you actually have to be in Russia to apply for anything?

And do you always have to get a TRP first and then PRP and only after those apply for citizenship?

Thank you in advance!

DavidB
12-04-2012, 20:52
He has to apply for a TRP, then PRP, then citizenship.

Your husband will need to get a criminal background check from the FBI:
http://www.fbi.gov/about-us/cjis/background-checks
It also has to be legalised (apostille stamp) by the Department of State in Washington. The quickest way to get the apostille without going to Washington is to use an agency like the following one. You can get the FBI to send the certificate directly to the agency and they will then send it to you when they get the apostille. http://www.authxperts.com/

The certificate can be used to apply for a TRP for 6 months from the date it's issued.

You'll also need to get an apostille on your marriage certificate, but I think it will have to be done by your Secretary of State since it's a state document.

Your husband will need a visa for the first 6 months while he's waiting for his TRP.

elikiera
12-04-2012, 22:20
Your husband will need a visa for the first 6 months while he's waiting for his TRP.

Can we wait in the states until he gets his TRP so that we don't have to get a visa? Or does he have to actually submit all the apostilled stuff in Russia?

SV1973a
12-04-2012, 22:49
Can we wait in the states until he gets his TRP so that we don't have to get a visa? Or does he have to actually submit all the apostilled stuff in Russia?

Not that I know of.
The process is troublesome enough as it is over here in Russia.
It is not really difficult to get RF citizenship, but it takes a lot of time and frustration and documents to overcome the bureaucracy.
By the way, there is a language test you he needs to p**** but only for the citizenship.
Also keep in mind that once he has PRP, he will need to get a Russian drivers license.
As a Russian citizen, you should not forget about his military obligations.
If your husband is younger than 28, he will get drafted.
If your husband is younger than 50, he will need to go to Voenkomat to get his Voenbilyet.

I know from experience that all of the above is feasible, but it is very very frustrating at some points.

Good luck and feel free to ask.

elikiera
12-04-2012, 23:29
Yeah, I've dealt with the bureaucracy for my own documents before, and I remember how overwhelming it can be. Thank you sooo much for the help!

Bogatyr
12-04-2012, 23:30

You need to submit the TRP application in person in Russia, anything else has no track record on this forum of working.

You do not need to wait in Russia once you submit the application, however. The trouble with leaving after the application is submitted is sometimes they call you back to clarify something. Or, worse, they need to clarify something and they DON'T call you, and you wait 6 months before checking on the status of your application (and good luck doing that over the phone...) only to find out it's still stuck at the beginning.

But at least one person I know did that (returned to the US to wait) and it worked out fine. In that case you get a special visa called "visa for a person receiving temporary residency in the RF" to enter Russia and pick up the TRP.

DavidB
13-04-2012, 00:27

As others said, it's impractical to apply for a TRP from outside Russia. There are some options
- Study visa from a university or an accredited language school
- Some people live in Russia using 90-day business visas. It's possible to get them in nearby countries rather than flying back to Kansas each time. Eg.: http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?t=337300
- More and more employers are willing to get work visas for their employees, especially if the job pays more than $65k per year.

For the study option, here's one example in St.Petersburg: http://www.herzen.spb.ru/en/ru/
It would cost around $2500 for 6 months of Russian lessons, and he could study either 20 hours per week in a group, or 8 hours per week individually with a tutor.

elikiera
13-04-2012, 06:14
Wow, thanks... so much to think about. He actually already speaks Russian pretty well, but we totally forgot about being drafted for military service. Might wait a few years... Thanks again for all the advice :)

DavidB
13-04-2012, 09:15
Wow, thanks... so much to think about. He actually already speaks Russian pretty well, but we totally forgot about being drafted for military service. Might wait a few years... Thanks again for all the advice :)

Well he doesn't have to go for citizenship right away. A PRP gives most of the rights that citizens have (it's like a US Green Card). The main exceptions are voting and becoming a deputy in parliament. PRP holders have to do annual check-ins and 5-yearly renewals, but they aren't a huge deal.

If there is a war which requires men older than 28 years old to be drafted... foreign men will probably become POWs anyway.