PDA

View Full Version : Documents needed for marriage

BabyFirefly
22-03-2012, 20:35
So I called ZAGS, and they claimed we need to get a consultation to know what documents I need... I thought I just needed my passport and its translation, visa, the certificate thingy that's notarized at my embassy and taken to the Ministry of Foreign affairs, and that's all? Am I missing something here? I'm a US citizen.

jasone65
22-03-2012, 20:46
I did this in St Pete's about 5years ago. I am English. We did have to go to the Zags office and at the time, they booked the wedding date too, so it was worth going. I also needed a Certificate of Non-Impediment. It all had to be notarised too (if in English) and also my visa registration was needed as I was then still living in the UK. It was all quite quick and painless, but here there is abit of hassle outside with a company that supplies wedding stuff and wants you to use/visit their shop.

Benedikt
22-03-2012, 20:50
So I called ZAGS, and they claimed we need to get a consultation to know what documents I need... I thought I just needed my passport and its translation, visa, the certificate thingy that's notarized at my embassy and taken to the Ministry of Foreign affairs, and that's all? Am I missing something here? I'm a US citizen.

http://www.waytorussia.net/Practicalities/Marriage.html

i did read through it and it explains everything.
special the 100 ruble payment paper from the Sberkassa.

Magnificat
22-03-2012, 20:53
That should be it. Some ZAGS workers will not like, nor do they know, what an apostille is. If your embassy issues a paper in Russian stating you're not married in the US, then it is a lot better than an apostille. It is important for the paper to state also its validity term, as again, some of them will not like this.
If you see your papers are in due order and someone at ZAGS happens to be a stickler, choose another day when you'll be able to see someone else, they never have a solid base for opinions on the papers. Check you name is properly written everywhere.

Benedikt
22-03-2012, 22:33
at least in Moscow, since you can use only one ZAGS, the one in Butirsky val, there is not problems with documents. They are used dealing with -foreign- papers and are friendly and helpful.
We also used their recommendations to do a video, hired a limo there, after all these guys do it every day, they know what to do. and if you get married in a city or village outside these places, by the day you say -yes- all the papers will be in order long before. they are ~not the ~ FMS and try to be helpful and not be a hindrance.

swansong
24-03-2012, 23:20
The consultation is just a safeguard to make sure all paperwork needed by foreigners is in hand at the ready. They've heard too many sob stories of people showing up to process papers and be lacking something. Just do it with a smile!

BabyFirefly
25-03-2012, 13:19
Went yesterday and everything was perfect. I'll get married on May 5th :)

bydand
25-03-2012, 13:34
Went yesterday and everything was perfect. I'll get married on May 5th :)

Congratulations!

Please be aware of name changes and the problems that might ensue if you choose to take your husband's name. Foreign documents in your "old" name, might not be "you". America can deal with it, no problem, but here, registration etc...

BabyFirefly
25-03-2012, 14:07
Congratulations!

Please be aware of name changes and the problems that might ensue if you choose to take your husband's name. Foreign documents in your "old" name, might not be "you". America can deal with it, no problem, but here, registration etc...

Yeah, I plan to change my name after I get back to the States.

SV1973a
25-03-2012, 14:15

Immediately after you get married you get the chance to take the name of your husband. It will then be written on your marriage certificate, and should you be a Russian, you should go and change all your documents (passport, zagranpassport,...)

I never understood why women are so eager to take on their husbands` name after marriage. Like if there aren`t enough problems as it is with official gouvernment bodies, that you should add these problems of name-changing.

My advice is to NOT take on the name of your husband.

DavidB
25-03-2012, 14:26

I suggest you change it by registration, not just using the marriage certificate as your proof. If you use the marriage certificate, you won't have a document which links your old name to your new one, and that is a problem for the Russian government.

If he's Ivan Ivanov, the US authorities probably won't let you become Ivanova anyway, so I think you'll have to do it by registration.

SV1973a
25-03-2012, 14:29
I suggest you change it by registration, not just using the marriage certificate as your proof. If you use the marriage certificate, you won't have a document which links your old name to your new one, and that is a problem for the Russian government.

It is precisely the marriage certificate that links the old name to the new name.
There is something like `after marriage, they couple takes on the following names ...`

But still : I advice not to change the name at all, unless you like running around to FMS, ZAGS, ... and similar.

BabyFirefly
25-03-2012, 14:59
I'm under a student visa, so I just don't know how exactly would this work out.

So I can change my name in my marriage certificate here, then use that to change my name to "Ivanova" in the States? I know it's a pain in the rear, but I never had a good relationship with my father and let's just say I'm eager to get that final piece of his history out of my life.

yakspeare
25-03-2012, 15:01

BabyFireflyovna?

SV1973a
25-03-2012, 15:07

Doesn`t matter what kind of visa you have.
On your wedding certificate, you will have both your names before you are married, and then there will be a phrase `after marriage she takes on the following name, and this is usually the name of the husband`.
But there is no legal obligation, so I don`t see the point in doing so.
You are just making things more complicated should you ever want to apply for TRP or so, because then you still will have to write the name you had before marriage.
Also birth certificate and diplomas and drivers license,... will all be at the name you currently have. Do you really want to go and change that all ?

GaNozri
25-03-2012, 16:41
I see that there are people who are knowledgable on the subject. So, I'll hijack the thread.

I (as a Russian citizen) was married in 1998 to a US citizen in Moscow. Then I got divorced from the same US citizen, in 2004 in New Jersey. I don't have a divorce certificate, or any other paperwork that confirms that. Now that I think about it - I am still married to the said US citizen, as far as ZAGS is concerned, right? Not that I am planning to get married anytime soon, but how do I go about fixing my marital status?

SV1973a
25-03-2012, 16:46
I see that there are people who are knowledgable on the subject. So, I'll hijack the thread.

I (as a Russian citizen) was married in 1998 to a US citizen in Moscow. Then I got divorced from the same US citizen, in 2004 in New Jersey. I don't have a divorce certificate, or any other paperwork that confirms that. Now that I think about it - I am still married to the said US citizen, as far as ZAGS is concerned, right? Not that I am planning to get married anytime soon, but how do I go about fixing my marital status?

As far as ZAGS is concerned you are still married.
Get a divorce certificate from the US, have them put an apostille on it, make a notarised translation in Russian.
Take both the original from the US and the notarised translation to ZAGS and you will be free man again.
:11581:

robertmf
25-03-2012, 16:47

NJ Vital Records (http://www.state.nj.us/health/vital/)

yakspeare
25-03-2012, 17:55
Here is a question I have been stewing about for a while.

I am divorced, and thus require a certificate of no impediment plus my divorce certificate. the no impediment is easy but i lost my divorce certificate in a flood, and my ex and I are not on friendly terms for her to get me one...although it is still possible to get a new divorce certificate it is all a pain as it happened in a different state and their are ID requirements etc for getting in-in short it's a bit hard to do outside of Australia.

Could I say I have never been married and just use the certificate of no impediment or does this certificate mention that I have been married before etc?

DavidB
25-03-2012, 18:00
Australia doesn't issue "certificate of no impediment". They only issue "no record of marriage from xx date to yy date".

If you got married and divorced in a state other than your birth state, there will be no record of either event. :10518:

Alternatively: apply for a certificate in a third state, which will obviously have no record of either event.

Edit: one more thing, you'll have to get the certificate apostilled in Australia and translated in Russia. You can then use that certificate in Russia.
The Embassy in Moscow will ask if you've previously been married and it's probably a bad idea to lie to them. If you're not in Moscow, it's much easier to use the certificate from Australia anyway, because the one from the Embassy has to be legalised by МИД in Moscow. It takes a week and you have to go there in person.

Here is a question I have been stewing about for a while.

I am divorced, and thus require a certificate of no impediment plus my divorce certificate. the no impediment is easy but i lost my divorce certificate in a flood, and my ex and I are not on friendly terms for her to get me one...although it is still possible to get a new divorce certificate it is all a pain as it happened in a different state and their are ID requirements etc for getting in-in short it's a bit hard to do outside of Australia.

Could I say I have never been married and just use the certificate of no impediment or does this certificate mention that I have been married before etc?

robertmf
25-03-2012, 18:03
...although it is still possible to get a new divorce certificate it is all a pain as it happened in a different state and there are ID requirements etc for getting in-in short it's a bit hard to do outside of Australia.

Can the Aussie embassy help you out ... or how about hiring a lawyer in OZ :question:

yakspeare
25-03-2012, 18:11
Australia doesn't issue "certificate of no impediment". They only issue "no record of marriage from xx date to yy date".

If you got married and divorced in a state other than your birth state, there will be no record of either event. :10518:

Alternatively: apply for a certificate in a third state, which will obviously have no record of either event.

Surely they would need something from the Federal level, no? Are police checks the same for Australia? Just state? Seems a bit strange to me.

yakspeare
25-03-2012, 18:16
this seems to suggest there is such a certificate:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/marriage.html

DavidB
25-03-2012, 18:42
Surely they would need something from the Federal level, no? Are police checks the same for Australia? Just state? Seems a bit strange to me.

this seems to suggest there is such a certificate:

http://www.smartraveller.gov.au/tips/marriage.html

There are 2 options:

1. get a single status certificate from a state, submit it to the Embassy in Moscow and they will give you a "certificate of no impediment", which you then have to legalise at the МИД office in Moscow.

2. get a single status certificate from a state, get it apostilled in Austraila and then get a notarised translation into Russian.

In reality, both certificates are just useless paperwork which doesn't prove anything. You can be married 2 or 3 times in other countries and no register in Australia will be updated.

GaNozri
25-03-2012, 18:49
As far as ZAGS is concerned you are still married.
Get a divorce certificate from the US, have them put an apostille on it, make a notarised translation in Russian.
Take both the original from the US and the notarised translation to ZAGS and you will be free man again.
:11581:

Seriously, I would do all that IF I was about to get married. Just to get a "carte blanche" from the ZAGS, seems to be too much effort. Short of that, couldn't I just say that I am separated from the "evil amerikanka" for 8 years now and want a divorce on the grounds of not living together for so long?