PDA

View Full Version : Russian men

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 03:53
Russian women are gorgeous (most of them)... they are slim, they take care about their look and appearance, they know what to wear and how to wear it.

But Russia men... OMG... I've been here for more than 2 months and I could count on the fingers of one hand the men I found attractive.

Are they really in such low supply that they do not care?
Why their partners/ sisters/ female friends do not help them?

robertmf
18-03-2012, 04:57
Russian women are gorgeous (most of them)... they are slim, they take care about their look and appearance, they know what to wear and how to wear it.

This appearance is only good until they reach 30. After age 30, the potatoes and gravity take over ...

But Russia men... OMG... I've been here for more than 2 months and I could count on the fingers of one hand the men I found attractive.

:queen: Maybe you are tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo selective ... :mml: lower your standards :Loco:

(Yes, women outnumber men in Russia)

yakspeare
18-03-2012, 06:53

Hmm well there is only one type of woman in Russia and yes she is gorgeous, slim, ages well, and has more boots than days of the year...

As for men there seems to be two types, so I don't think your comments are exactly fair. There is a noveau rich look of middle class men, these men are far more fashion conscience than us men from the west, have the right shoes, the right belt, the right watch etc. They are quite cultured too, knowing more about art and European history than a typical westerner. If I ever met Tvadim from this site, I would imagine he would fall pretty much into this category(pretty sure he is taken already though.) A lot of "businessmen" have this look, they dress often simply but the brands they wear are of the highest quality.

The other Russian is a yellow skinned chap who gets this from a lack of vitamins, too much vodka and too many cigarettes. He has never heard of a haircut, his hair just sits there on his head. His style of clothes is very poor, a simple sweater or jumper , old jeans and old black trainers. He ain't going to live that long.

Although there are more women than men, in the 20's there are actually more men than women. In the 30s it becomes more of a challenge but is still possible. After that the chances are pretty slim.

Good luck with your search, you could always date an expat. The problem, though, is that expats have been spoilt with the choice of beautiful Russian women and so might have the opinion of their women to be something like your opinion of Russian men!

SADIE Cupcakes
18-03-2012, 09:39
This appearance is only good until they reach 30. After age 30, the potatoes and gravity take over ...

:queen: Maybe you are tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo selective ... :mml: lower your standards :Loco:

I wouldn't say potatoes and gravity as much as vodka and cigarettes.

SADIE Cupcakes
18-03-2012, 09:42

hahaha, I have always thought exactly the same thing! I, personally, am friends with some pretty ugly Ruski, and YES, they have beautiful girlfriends who are also MUCH younger AAAAANNNNND, they're not even rich! :iagree:

Oh, and one of these guys told me, "In Russia, we say a man should be a little bit prettier than a monkey." To which I replied, "But, you're NOT--a monkey is MUCH prettier!"

SV1973a
18-03-2012, 10:18
Oh, and one of these guys told me, "In Russia, we say a man should be a little bit prettier than a monkey." To which I replied, "But, you're NOT--a monkey is MUCH prettier!"

Brilliant :punk:
I got to remember that one.

RestlessMouse
18-03-2012, 11:02

I would say 40 is the age when the difference is significant. But it applies to any nation, not Russians specifically.

RestlessMouse
18-03-2012, 11:07

Do you really say it to him or do you imagine saying this? Sounds pretty rough really.

Yet I can't believe a guy would say it. Probably that was his girlfriend's version :)

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 11:08
Good luck with your search, you could always date an expat. The problem, though, is that expats have been spoilt with the choice of beautiful Russian women and so might have the opinion of their women to be something like your opinion of Russian men!

For the record, I'm happily married and I'm not looking for a date!
The question was more rhetorical :)

Rich Wahl
18-03-2012, 11:10
I just want to point out in advance that this response is made tongue in cheek, so I hope it is taken lightly ;)

I have had this conversation with a few women before. Historically (I stress historically, not not modern times) men were doing all of the providing for their families. he was the hunter in caveman times and the manual laborer in more recent history. In the past it probably meant little to a woman how a man looked in comparison with other attributes. If your choice was to starve and die or mate with an ugly man who put food on the table and protected you the choice was very simple.

Women historically (I stress historically) have had the responsibility of caretaker for these males and their families. Your CV or resume for this job was to be attractive enough to catch the eye of one of the aforementioned males.

Sow for many, many generations women have been competing with each other in "looks" department, where males have not really had to worry nearly as much.

In short (too late for that, I know) since the beginning of time women have had it ingrained in them that they needed to be as attractive as possible to get a mate, and men have had it ingrained in their minds that as long as they are not significantly uglier than everyone else it won't stop them from getting a mate. It is also kind of the truth!

Tell me if this sounds familiar.

Men: socks match, shoes are without holes, pants are not too wrinkled, shirt is tucked in (mostly) hair is still there (mostly)......damn I look good!

Women: pedicure, manicure, hair salon, spa, skin treatment, exfoliation, perfect dress, perfect shoes, perfect make up, 40 hours a week at the gym, underwear so far up the crack that there is no way she will think about being comfortable, perfume, lighting.....(this can go on for hours),,,,at the end.....that other girl is prettier than me, what a slut!

Men have the mentality that if we all look the same, we will most likely all be chosen (which is true) so the amount of work we need to do is minimal. Women (incorrectly) feel that they need to be stunning or they will not be chosen.

An experiment that I hope never happens:

Women just stop caring. no more pedicures, facials, diets...everything. It sounds impossible, but follow this logic. As long as most women do not do these things, if a man has the choice between sex with an average mate and no sex at all (the choice that most women have now) they will choose sex (women are doing it now.) If women can get past the evolution and collectively be more comfortable with themselves I can assure you that they would still all be finding future husbands.

A not exact extract from a Hitchhiker's guide to the Galaxy book:

an argument between a dolphin and a man about who the smarter species was went something like this...

Man: "We are definitely the superior creatures. Look at all we have accomplished! we have made buildings, schools, cars, airplanes, space travel, etc. We have done everything! We work and work and work and look at all of the stuff that we have produced. All you do is swim around and play all day."

Dolphin: "So?"

It would be nicer for women if men started behaving like the men in the story, but it would be easier for women if they just behaved more like the dolphin.

Rant finished.

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 11:35

This is what I thought as well, before I moved. However, I can tell you there are many beautiful ladies in their mid thirties with a kid or two already. Unfortunately, my scope of friends and acquaintances here in Moscow is limited mostly to my colleagues, so maybe what you are saying is true if we talk about Russian ladies in total.

queen: Maybe you are tooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo selective ... :mml: lower your standards :Loco:

I was thinking about this one as well, if my standards are too high. But frankly speaking I don't think so. I never actually dated a "movie star", so I am not talking about perfect face, great smile, great body. But, on the other side, you might me be right. Maybe my standards are different and characteristics I pay attention to are not that easily available. Maybe because I am coming from Serbia which is also Slavic country I expected more similarities.

But please, look at this:
http://therussianstandard.com/most-handsome-men (Top 10 most-handsome-men)
and this:
http://en.amerikanki.com/100-sexiest-russian-man/ (100-sexiest-russian-man)

Look those hairstyles, the chains around their necks and lack of "Machoness"

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 11:48
There is a noveau rich look of middle class men, these men are far more fashion conscience than us men from the west, have the right shoes, the right belt, the right watch etc. They are quite cultured too, knowing more about art and European history than a typical westerner. If I ever met Tvadim from this site, I would imagine he would fall pretty much into this category(pretty sure he is taken already though.) A lot of "businessmen" have this look, they dress often simply but the brands they wear are of the highest quality.

As I said, unfortunately the circle of people I meet are my colleagues, and I suppose they represent middle class. So those are the people I've been talking about.

Yes, some of them would match belt and shoes but either the type of shoes they wear were modern in 80ies, or they spoiled it all with some flashy jewelry or some funny hairstyle.
Some of them, on the other side tried "meterosexual" style so they look like 14 years old boys with a beard.

Unfortunately, in this moment I can talk only about outside appearance.

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 11:50
I would say 40 is the age when the difference is significant. But it applies to any nation, not Russians specifically.

And they look much younger than they actually are.

RestlessMouse
18-03-2012, 12:15
And they look much younger than they actually are.

Who? I am speaking of both men and women in any country. More of men actually. You should marry them before they reach 40, at the age of 41 it already becomes difficult to find anybody available and attractive :11215:

Sparafucile
18-03-2012, 13:03
Last year's fashion colour for Russian men - black.

This year's fashion colour for Russian men - black.

Next year's fashion colour for Russian men - black.

BabyFirefly
18-03-2012, 13:08

No it doesn't, not in places where people don't smoke or breathe in pollution on the time. My mom is 47 and looks about 27, all the women in my family look much younger, myself included; I get carded really often. Most of the women where I'm from are like that. We don't smoke excessively. Our air is cleaner. We eat well. We don't do things that ruin our skin like tanning excessively. Our life isn't so stressful as it is for Muscotives. We don't pancake our makeup on every day but we age very well. Women here are beautiful and then hit a 35-40 mark and it's like they crash down. I thought it was a generational thing but if how much the girls at my uni smoke and party is an indicator, nope.

My Russian SO is easily the most handsome/hot guy I've dated and one of the most attractive men in general I've met if not the most attractive. He's the only one who has gone to the gym constantly, he has very good hygiene, shaves nearly every day. He's not a metrosexual but holy damn he looks great in just about anything especially if naked. But unlike many men his age, he doesn't smoke at all, drinks rarely, and in general is crazy about health and fitness, so.... if you want an attractive Russian man get out of the metro and join a gym.

yakspeare
18-03-2012, 13:46
Russian men are generally fitter looking than men in the west, slimmer and with more evident muscularity...some of this is because they are slimmer than most western men.

Being sporty here is quite a part of the Russian male image...though the sport deems to be limited to the gym...but he ought look sporty.

I don't agree with the comments about Russian women in the least...Russian women look very young for their age and women in their 40s or 50s can look hot and sexy. They seem to be like a fine wine that matures better with age.

The old rule of dating applies...if the mother looks like the neighbourhood crouched over Babushka-run for the hills...but often she looks like an older sister.

GaNozri
18-03-2012, 13:54
"In Russia, we say a man should be a little bit prettier than a monkey." To which I replied, "But, you're NOT--a monkey is MUCH prettier!"

This coming from someone who is fascinated with oh so pretty coloured metals and mesmerised by little shining stones?

BabyFirefly
18-03-2012, 14:01
Russian men are generally fitter looking than men in the west, slimmer and with more evident muscularity...some of this is because they are slimmer than most western men.

Being sporty here is quite a part of the Russian male image...though the sport deems to be limited to the gym...but he ought look sporty.

I don't agree with the comments about Russian women in the least...Russian women look very young for their age and women in their 40s or 50s can look hot and sexy. They seem to be like a fine wine that matures better with age.

The old rule of dating applies...if the mother looks like the neighbourhood crouched over Babushka-run for the hills...but often she looks like an older sister.

Maybe you and I live in real different districts or work somewhere else, but in my nearly daily three hours on the metro, if 2 out of 10 older women I see are attractive that's a lot. Otherwise they look... like life has aged them quite badly, like leather. Makeup, heels, hair dye and fur only go so far.

Russian women do know The Secret though: heels + mini skirt = men think you're very attractive, and women here apply such an equation as often as possible. The hot and sexy women Eastern European women who are older are almost exclusively Ukrainian, in my experience. In other cities I've been to in Russia the older women are indeed very hot, but in Moscow, eh, no, just average if not bad. But again where I'm from women look very young, so I'm not used to women looking good "for their age:, I'm used to women looking at the very very least 10 years younger and that's considered not attractive. I find the prime age Russian women look hot to be in their mid 20's, when they look young, fit and beautiful but not like jail bait.

I find the men in their 20's are indeed fitter than their Western counterparts, but they look young, like teenagers, so the masculine body goes a bit strangely with the youngish face. I love the lack of metrosexuality I've seen... a handsome guy should only need to shave, go to the gym, and use deodorant.

Tony P
18-03-2012, 14:02

Despite those apparant advantages, Russian male life expectancy is 59 - yet in high 70s or 80s for ALL western european and USA males.

BabyFirefly
18-03-2012, 14:04
Despite those apparant advantages, Russian male life expectancy is 59 - yet in high 70s or 80s for ALL western european and USA males.

It's the damn air here. I've never been anywhere else where my snot often comes out black and I have to dust every day and my hair smells like smoke because everyone has turned themselves into a chimney. I feel that my genetic advantage to look really young will last a few years less now thanks to my living here.

RestlessMouse
18-03-2012, 14:07
No it doesn't,

It does. Deterioration doesn't depend on nationality. What you are speaking about is a condition of life. I've seen Brits permanently living on Canaries who look 20 years younger their brothers in their original 'island'. They don't even do any sport or physical exercises. Fresh sea air, sun and sea food is the key probably :)

Tony P
18-03-2012, 14:12
It's the damn air here.
'Here' being Moscow, where less than 8% of Russia'a population live?

If only 8% lowers the overall life expectancy to 59, the Moscow male must have an expectancy barely past puberty.

BabyFirefly
18-03-2012, 14:27
It does. Deterioration doesn't depend on nationality. What you are speaking about is a condition of life. I've seen Brits permanently living on Canaries who look 20 years younger their brothers in their original 'island'. They don't even do any sport or physical exercises. Fresh sea air, sun and sea food is the key probably :)

My point exactly. I love Moscow but I'd be lying if I said the air was as clean and wondrous as back in Puerto Rico. Takes a toll on anyone.

And my understanding is that Moscow is not the only polluted city in Russia. Again the smoking and excessive drinking just make it all worse.

GaNozri
18-03-2012, 14:32
Again the smoking and excessive drinking just make it all worse.

Actually.., kinda makes it easier for me.

yakspeare
18-03-2012, 14:46
well you can't blame the air when Russian women live about the same as in the west...just the men fall way short...

I don't live in Moscow, I have been to Kirov, Yoshkar Ola, Kazan, Volgograd and Krasnodar and my observations are based on visiting those places.

I joke sometimes that the reason why so many people smoke in Russia is because of the air-breathing through a cigarette filter improves your air quality.lol

RestlessMouse
18-03-2012, 14:53
I joke sometimes that the reason why so many people smoke in Russia is because of the air-breathing through a cigarette filter improves your air quality.lol

They just started anti-smoking company in Russia.

Babygirl
18-03-2012, 15:01
WTF ? I consider this thread insulting.

I have no questions to Russian men, Russian men are fine, Russian men are great ,Russian men are brilliant, stop putting them down.

Nothing wrong with Russian men.

robertmf
18-03-2012, 16:00
... Women: pedicure, manicure, hair salon, spa, skin treatment, exfoliation, perfect dress, perfect shoes, perfect make up, 40 hours a week at the gym, underwear so far up the crack that there is no way she will think about being comfortable, perfume, lighting.....(this can go on for hours) ...

... Men have the mentality that if we all look the same, we will most likely all be chosen (which is true) so the amount of work we need to do is minimal ...

:evilgrin:

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 18:01
I love the lack of metrosexuality I've seen... a handsome guy should only need to shave, go to the gym, and use deodorant.

I agree, I would only prefer some real sport than gym (I like fighters:)) and would add regular hair cut

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 18:02
If people would not smoke that much in Russia, I would never be here ;)

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 18:07
WTF ? I consider this thread insulting.

I have no questions to Russian men, Russian men are fine, Russian men are great ,Russian men are brilliant, stop putting them down.

Nothing wrong with Russian men.

I'm sorry if you see it insulting. :11030:That was not my purpose. I'm curious by nature, and sometimes direct (obviously).
I have no doubts Russian men are great and brilliant. I would just like to understand why their look is not important for them.
I would say you know them well; maybe you may help?

xSnoofovich
18-03-2012, 18:24
My 2 cents-

Most of ya'll are single, hanging out in clubs or restaurants. For me, I see no difference among Russians or Americans in the shops, cept Americans in general are slightly fatter. Also, when I look around at the parents at various sadik's, I see the whole "hot russian woman" thing quickly going down the drain. At the parks, its the same story. And if your benchmark riding the metro during the day, then hey, what can I say except that normal people, much like anywhere, are either sitting at home, or working.

As to the guys, well, it just seems to be a "birds of a feather" type thing. One dept that sits by me is incredibly fat, smokers, drinkers, etc. One dept is entirely made up of guys that look like (male) models, and the next group is a bunch of country yokels that somehow made it to the big time.

Across the company, only the IT dept that seems to have the stereotypical "russian" guy look.

Jack17
18-03-2012, 19:47
Americans in general are slightly fatter.

Just want to point out this is really a regional thing: true if you are in Missouri or Mississippi; not true if you're in California.

tvadim133
18-03-2012, 21:47
Who? I am speaking of both men and women in any country. More of men actually. You should marry them before they reach 40, at the age of 41 it already becomes difficult to find anybody available and attractive :11215:

I am "available" and they say (I doubt that, but they are insisting) attractive! :)

Let's say, it is true in general that men over 30 y.o. ( it is true not only about russians, unfortunately as I see how my foreign colleagues, friends look like) do not care much of yourself, gain some weignt and become ...oh, know...bold :)

And it does not depend upon the way of living or "the class" they belong too.

Men are simple creatures and do not need to attract women, who do not need beauty, but smth else! :) :) :)

tvadim133
18-03-2012, 21:48
Just want to point out this is really a regional thing: true if you are in Missouri or Mississippi; not true if you're in California.

You are from California!

Ildy
18-03-2012, 21:59
this is why...

Ghostly Presence
18-03-2012, 22:38
shaves nearly every day.

Say no more!! He is definitely a catch! :) Don't let him slip away! :)

molly picon
18-03-2012, 22:54
I've seen some gorgeous men here in Moscow and I'm married to one of them. In most places women are more eye-catching than men, due to the, you know, hair and makeup and dieting. Also, people are quite pale, but women can offset the lack of sun with rouge. OK, back to more useful pursuits.

Ghostly Presence
18-03-2012, 23:01
For the record, I'm happily married and I'm not looking for a date!
The question was more rhetorical :)

Wasn't you the author of the recent thread here, where you asked what worked and did not work for others in a long-distance relationship? Aren't you separated from your husband for an indefinite period of time and worried about this? Well, at least it looks like you will have no temptations here in Russia since we Russian guys are all so ugly to you. Your husband can sleep peacefully...

Viola
18-03-2012, 23:17
I am "available"
:eek: Are you? Looks like I missed something, haven't been reading the forum properly for a long time :eh:

KatjaBg
18-03-2012, 23:21
Wasn't you the author of the recent thread here, where you asked what worked and did not work for others in a long-distance relationship? Aren't you separated from your husband for an indefinite period of time and worried about this? Well, at least it looks like you will have no temptations here in Russia since we Russian guys are all so ugly to you. Your husband can sleep peacefully...

Ups... somebody's got some hurt feelings...
I don't remember saying the Russian men are ugly. I am sorry you understood it that way.

And yes, my husband sleeps peacfully. And it does not depend on city or country I am.

tvadim133
18-03-2012, 23:39
:eek: Are you? Looks like I missed something, haven't been reading the forum properly for a long time :eh:

wll, let's say.....I am not going to break up with my GF , but again a man being not married, consider himself to be "available". :)

P.S. Thank you for not commenting "attractiveness of mine". :)

Samodika
18-03-2012, 23:44

Hi
I am russian and fully agree with you about russian guys... And it is an absolute riddle why our men don't care how they look. I had a poor experience just a month ago - we had a party with my school mates to celebrate our 14th year of graduation...that was a pitiful sight - our 'boys' turned into real fat ones, with 'beer bellies', flabby faces... (and we are only 30)...

RestlessMouse
18-03-2012, 23:56
I am not going to break up with my GF , but again a man being not married, consider himself to be "available". :)

A woman in this situation would say for sure she was married (without specification that she meant a common-low marriage) :)

Ghostly Presence
19-03-2012, 01:00

A pretty ill-spirited post for someone who worries about "to smile or not to smile" in your other post. What's the point in all your smiles if that is what you really think about at least half of the local population? Who needs your fake smiles??

Samodika
19-03-2012, 01:07
A pretty ill-spirited post for someone who worries about "to smile or not to smile" in your other post. What's the point in all your smiles if that is what you really think about at least half of the local population? Who needs your fake smiles??

Do you think that all those smiles in western countries are always sincere???

RestlessMouse
19-03-2012, 02:05
A man can look endless at fire, at water and criticize others (c)

I guess the OP didn't expect to meet locals at this forum or even worse didn't care about it.

A pretty ill-spirited post for someone who worries about "to smile or not to smile" in your other post.

I am afraid Katja is going to have pretty hard time in Russia. As far as I understand she is 2 months here already and instead of trying to understand she is trying to change the world around herself... plus a remote family... and then finally she will hate her time in Russia... does it all really worth efforts?

Jack17
19-03-2012, 02:18
Do you think that all those smiles in western countries are always sincere???
This digresses a little; but in a way is about Russian men.

About Western, particularly American smiles: Americans dislike fake smiles and insencerity as much as any Russian. It's very simple - Americans smile more than Russians because they are happier. Period. Sales people in the States smile too much because they want your business and no one likes or trusts them.

I've watched hundreds of Russians who've immigrated to the US; once here maybe a month, they start to smile all the time. My wife smiles all the time in San Diego because, frankly, life is much easier here than in Yaroslavl or Moskva (not just because of the weather). She conciously puts on her glum face once she arrives at Sheremetevo so her Russian family and friends don't think she's stupid - I do too. Quando in Roma . . .

Samodika
19-03-2012, 02:19

I guess the OP didn't expect to meet locals at this forum or even worse didn't care about it.

I am afraid Katja is going to have pretty hard time in Russia. As far as I understand she is 2 months here already and instead of trying to understand she is trying to change the world around herself... plus a remote family... and then finally she will hate her time in Russia... does it all really worth efforts?

Oh come on! Such an observation of russian women and men is quite an often one, and even many russian women support it. We DO NOT say 'russian men are bad people', we just say they (well, not all of them, but the majority) do not care about how they look.

peppermintpaddy
19-03-2012, 03:43

I do like russian proverbs....this one is inscrutable to me...please explain it if you can.

robertmf
19-03-2012, 03:57
I do like russian proverbs....this one is inscrutable to me...please explain it if you can.

:11629: по-Русски люче :question:

Maybe this is better in Russian ? Or, maybe it's one of those "you had to be there" things :question:

yakspeare
19-03-2012, 05:48
It always amuses me when people talk about American fake smiles...firstly it isn't just Americans who smile in that fashion but Australians and the English too...and just because the Russians think they are fake and insincere smiles, doesn't make them so.

I recall my last trip to England and I was in a small town in the north of the country....I was a complete stranger but everyone greeted me warmly and the old ladies pruning their roses stopped me to discuss the fine day and offered me tea and asked where I was from. It was like I was home, especially friendly.

One of the things I teach as an English teacher is how to change from the Russian monotone voice to our intonation...and how to smile and speak with emotion. Every call centre knows that a smile on the phone changes pitch and expression, making a warmer voice.

Just like the average Russian thinking we are perhaps the village idiots for smiling, so would we , as a whole, see someone with a typical Russian face in the west as depressed, troubled, grouchy and even mentally ill.

So it works both ways...fortunately most Russians who emmigrate learn to smile rather easily, because quality of life is generally better. I just had a student leave to go back to Australia, where she is a resident(she came back to Russia to help her Mum's business)...now that girl was smiling and couldn't wait to get back to Australia, loving it more than I do. But then she goes surfing on the weekend, enjoys open air dining on swanston street, goes to jazz festivals and enjoys the wid range of food from a true multicultural society. Frankly, for her, her new home is heaven.

Ghostly Presence
19-03-2012, 10:21
It's very simple - Americans smile more than Russians because they are happier. Period.

Sounds like an absolute claim. However, according to an article in The Economist, a quarter of Americans are on anti-depressents. A happy nation? Maybe not. As one character in the movie "American beauty" said, "in order to be successful, you have to project success". May be American smile is just that - a part of the image.

natlee
19-03-2012, 10:42
Hi
I am russian and fully agree with you about russian guys... And it is an absolute riddle why our men don't care how they look. I had a poor experience just a month ago - we had a party with my school mates to celebrate our 14th year of graduation...that was a pitiful sight - our 'boys' turned into real fat ones, with 'beer bellies', flabby faces... (and we are only 30)... Same thing with our 10th anniversary! We were all 26, and while the girls turned into stunning young women the 'boys' looked like they were in their forties!

yakspeare
19-03-2012, 11:09
Sounds like an absolute claim. However, according to an article in The Economist, a quarter of Americans are on anti-depressents. A happy nation? Maybe not. As one character in the movie "American beauty" said, "in order to be successful, you have to project success". May be American smile is just that - a part of the image.

Well that's a bit silly. 25% of Americans are on anti-depressants? Levels of mental illness aren't that high, let alone depression. It is about 11%, with a massive jump in the last two decades.

And its comparing apples and oranges because Russian mental health science in its infancy-so the number of Russians who ought be on the same medication would be at the very least the same, and probably worse. Americans who suffer depression at least once in their lives is 15-16%.

Depression is a mental illness that doesn't always have a link to your surroundings...you can be a billionaire with a centrefold wife and still be depressed.

http://en.rian.ru/society/20120213/171294209.html

About 20 percent of teenagers in Russia suffer from depression, compared to the Western European average of 5 percent, UNICEF global agency said in a report on Monday.
The data ties in with general figures for mental disorders among teenagers in countries of the former Communist bloc, which have undergone drastic changes in social and family structures, the United Nations children fund said in the report on childcare in Russia, presented at a press conference in Moscow.
Between 10 and 15 percent of Russian school students have severe depression that requires medical help, children psychologist Anna Kholmogorova of the Moscow State University of Psychology & Education said in a separate interview with RIA Novosti.
Alcohol and drug addiction are both symptoms and causes of mental disorders among teens, UNICEF said. Drug usage among the underage is slowly decreasing, but this is offset by children taking up alcohol ever earlier, with the number of officially registered alcoholics under 14 rising 60 percent in 2000-2009.
Teen suicides in Russia also far exceeded the global average of 10 cases per 100,000 people aged 15 to 19, the report said. Between 30 and 31 Russians per 100,000 in this age bracket were committing suicides every year in the 2000s, the report said.
Russia was hit by a string of teenager suicides in the last two weeks, with seven children aged between 12 and 15 taking their lives in separate incidents across the nation. Experts said the teenagers could have been following each others lead, thanks to the media coverage each received.

mrzuzzo
19-03-2012, 11:16
I find this thread kind of funny...

Are you sure it's just a Russian men thing and not a worldwide phenomenon? Plenty of fat, balding, and fairly young (30-40) men in America from what I've seen.

I know plenty of Russian guys that dress well and take care of themselves, and this city is flooded with metrosexuals these days.

You must not go out at all or go to some really shitty places if you only see men who don't take care of themselves.

RestlessMouse
19-03-2012, 11:27
fortunately most Russians who emmigrate learn to smile rather easily, because quality of life is generally better.

I think it's incorrect conclusion, it's not because of the quality of life, it's a cultural thing. They are just adapting to live in your society - When in Rome, do as the Romans do (с)

And why do you think that the life of immigrants is easy? They normally do the hardest and cheapest work in Tesco and so.

There is an interesting example. A young Italian couple has moved to Sidney. They were invited to join the local club. In few weeks three women accused the Italian man of sexual harassment and complained that they felt discomfort communicating with him. Men considered the Italian wife as an easy... can I say 'accessible' here?

When Italians got to know what other club members think of them, they were completely shocked and tried to change their behavior as it's common in Australia.

Why in Belgium and France they kiss each other three times? It can shock Northern people :) Are their kisses artificial or they love every human being so much? No, it's just a cultural thing. :7525:

natlee
19-03-2012, 11:30
My wife smiles all the time in San Diego because, frankly, life is much easier here than in Yaroslavl or Moskva (not just because of the weather). No kidding! Everyone smiles in San Diego!!! :D

RestlessMouse
19-03-2012, 11:37
My wife smiles all the time in San Diego because, frankly, life is much easier here than in Yaroslavl or Moskva

After England I say sorry to mannequins if I accidentally hit them. It takes some time to adjust :)

Periwinkle
19-03-2012, 11:45
I think Russians thinking that all Westerners have fake smiles, is due in part to a cultural difference in the way smiles are used. I have seen on a few occasions Russian girls smile when they are being particularly nasty. It is a put on as part of the insult. I wonder if that makes them more suspicious of smiles from strangers. Granted Westerners can have condescending smiles as well if they want but this is something different, that I have only seen in Russia and only from females. Plus I think Russians are just more closed off from others outside their immediate circle in general and hence a bit more suspicious of outsiders.

Periwinkle
19-03-2012, 11:51
As for men....well a lot of older Russian men are a bit scary. They care little for hygiene and tend to smell a combination of tobacco, alcohol and garlicky sweat. As well as being aggressive and rude in public. Generalization here of course but polite non aggressive Russian men over a certain age are not often to be seen. Plus what us the deal with all the fishermens vests? They cannot all be fishing that often?

RestlessMouse
19-03-2012, 11:55
Plus what us the deal with all the fishermens vests? They cannot all be fishing that often?

They do. Hobby.

Samodika
19-03-2012, 14:18
I know plenty of Russian guys that dress well and take care of themselves, and this city is flooded with metrosexuals these days.

You must not go out at all or go to some really shitty places if you only see men who don't take care of themselves.

I agree if we talk about Moscow, but if you see a bit further...say, Khimki, Zelenograd (which is officially Moscow, too) or the clothes cities like these (which are not villages), you may see that men there look a bit worse...

Samodika
19-03-2012, 14:32
It always amuses me when people talk about American fake smiles...firstly it isn't just Americans who smile in that fashion but Australians and the English too...and just because the Russians think they are fake and insincere smiles, doesn't make them so.

I recall my last trip to England and I was in a small town in the north of the country....I was a complete stranger but everyone greeted me warmly and the old ladies pruning their roses stopped me to discuss the fine day and offered me tea and asked where I was from. It was like I was home, especially friendly.

One of the things I teach as an English teacher is how to change from the Russian monotone voice to our intonation...and how to smile and speak with emotion. Every call centre knows that a smile on the phone changes pitch and expression, making a warmer voice.

Just like the average Russian thinking we are perhaps the village idiots for smiling, so would we , as a whole, see someone with a typical Russian face in the west as depressed, troubled, grouchy and even mentally ill.

So it works both ways...fortunately most Russians who emmigrate learn to smile rather easily, because quality of life is generally better. I just had a student leave to go back to Australia, where she is a resident(she came back to Russia to help her Mum's business)...now that girl was smiling and couldn't wait to get back to Australia, loving it more than I do. But then she goes surfing on the weekend, enjoys open air dining on swanston street, goes to jazz festivals and enjoys the wid range of food from a true multicultural society. Frankly, for her, her new home is heaven.

I moved to the UK last autumn and have to say that I didn't start smiling more :) I in general smile a lot, and often am asked why I do so. But there is no particular reason - I just feel like that.

What I am trying to say is that when one smiles sincerely, I mean when he/she is happy "inside", it always looks great. But when a smile is caused by some "rules" or cultural peculiarities...that's what we russians are not used to. This is not bad at all, but when, say, in a tube you see a person with an absolutely "stone" face and then your eyes meet for a second and you see an immediate grin while they eyes remain being "stone"... that's what we'd call a fake smile and do not understand any sence in it.

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 14:52
A smile a day, keeps the Doctor away :)

robertmf
19-03-2012, 15:07
A smile a day, keeps the Doctor away :)

It takes fewer muscles to :) smile than it takes to :( frown

Samodika
19-03-2012, 15:11
It takes fewer muscles to :) smile than it takes to :( frown

I wouldn't say so - I often feel my cheeks hurt when/if I laugh all day :) and those wrinkles around eyes... ))))

AVKomarov
19-03-2012, 15:25
I would just like to understand why their look is not important for them.
I would say you know them well; maybe you may help?
The same question is about Steve Jobs, the former Head of Apple.

I think because universal garments look like casual clothes (for example sweaters and jeans). It is comfortable but not with the best appearance. Women like to change wears for different situations to look beautiful. Men like to wear the same clothes in different situations to feel comfortable.

Sometimes for men it is more important to wear comfortable and universal clothes suitable for any situation that happens during the day: for working hours, for leisure, for evening entertainment, for meeting with friends after working hours in a cafe or at home. In all that situations in Russia it is possible for men wear the same clothes. Otherwise to wear the same clothes is impossible for women or foreign management in Russia if they prefer to keep the best appearance for the best impression.

Have a look at the singers on the stage at the video beneath.
Atlantes - Атланты
The two women impress the listeners with their singing and beauty. The men impress the listeners with their singing and with the meaning of words they sing, not with the men's appearance at the stage.
They sing the song "Atlantes".

When you feel cold and stony, and lonely in your heart,
Come to the stairs of Hermitage to join a real art.
With no bread and water, without any rest,
Atlantes are there, holding the sky on their hands, (twice)
Full translation in English: Atlantes - Атланты (http://bardsclub.com/stati/gorodnickii-na-angliiskom-atlanty.html)

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 17:01
Neither of those girls strike me as being particularly beautiful to look at :shhhhhh:

They are not unattractive, but are certainly not in the League of the Beautiful! :emote_popcorn:

orlando771
19-03-2012, 17:27

yeap it is always man's fault...

Jack17
19-03-2012, 17:31
Neither of those girls strike me as being particularly beautiful to look at :shhhhhh:

They are not unattractive, but are certainly not in the League of the Beautiful! :emote_popcorn:
I wouldn't throw the one in red out of bed; her nose is a little big, but I bet she's a real freak in the sack.

natlee
19-03-2012, 17:45

They are not unattractive, but are certainly not in the League of the Beautiful! :emote_popcorn: You're hard to please! :D (Don't like them either :shhhhhh:)

natlee
19-03-2012, 17:46
I wouldn't throw the one in red out of bed; her nose is a little big, but I bet she's a real freak in the sack. You like big noses? Go with mine! :D

Jack17
19-03-2012, 17:52
I'm certain your's is exquisitely beautiful Natlee!

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 17:57
I wouldn't throw the one in red out of bed; her nose is a little big, but I bet she's a real freak in the sack.

Well, I wouldn't crawl over her to get to you, so please don't worry! :p

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 17:58
You're hard to please! :D (Don't like them either :shhhhhh:)

Am always hard & ready to please! :p

natlee
19-03-2012, 18:02
Well, I wouldn't crawl over her to get to you :question:

Jack17
19-03-2012, 18:07

:confused1::suspect::yikes::9451::groan::gay::question:

I'm not.

AVKomarov
19-03-2012, 18:11
I agree, I would only prefer some real sport than gym (I like fighters:)) and would add regular hair cut
It is an ordinary preference for your age. Every girl likes fighters and brutal men until she has children. When women have small children, they want that their husbands help them to take care of their children. At that age, women like careful and tenderness men, and dislike fighter's behavior and appearance. Later women want to give good education to their children. At that age women like rich men very much, and dislike fighters at all, and don't care of men's age or appearance.

I don't know how to satisfy you demands with video.
But let me try again.
Analyzing your avatar expression: "Real men don't make women wear burkas" I suppose that at your age you will admire a woman like Dilnarin, a dancer of E-type.
Dilnarin
If I am not right again it is better you provide us a link to the women you prefer.

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 18:16
Thanks, she'll do just fine! ;) Please send her over tonight! :)

natlee
19-03-2012, 18:17
Thanks, she'll do just fine! ;) I'm so disappointed. Off to cry a little..

robertmf
19-03-2012, 18:19

Wendy's Commercial - Soviet Fashion Show - YouTube

;) :10518:

Samodika
19-03-2012, 18:21
It is an ordinary preference for your age. Every girl likes fighters and brutal men until she has children. When women have small children, they want that their husbands help them to take care of their children. At that age, women like careful and tenderness men, and dislike fighter's behavior and appearance. Later women want to give good education to their children. At that age women like rich men very much, and dislike fighters at all, and don't care of men's age or appearance.

The matter is that you, men, don't care how you look )) women always pay attention to well-cared appearance. And not all like "fighters", and what we dislike are fatty hulks and bored faces

AVKomarov
19-03-2012, 18:23
Please send her over tonight! :)
But your location is "ALWAYS in trouble".
Is it a good idea to send her in troubles? I don't think so. :)

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 18:36
But your location is "ALWAYS in trouble".
Is it a good idea to send her in troubles? I don't think so. :)

Don't worry, I am very capable of looking after and taking excellent care of her! ;)

robertmf
19-03-2012, 18:36
You like big noses? Go with mine! :D

Pinocchio's nose - YouTube

:soccer:

AVKomarov
19-03-2012, 18:40
And not all like "fighters", and what we dislike are fatty hulks and bored faces
I see.

The matter is that you, men, don't care how you look )) women always pay attention to well-cared appearance.
I mean that there is a difference in thinking between women and men.
For example, women always pay attention to well-cared appearance and never pay attention to pens they or others use in office. So well educated women with big salary and the best appearance can use the cheapest pen to sing a document in office. It does not care for her which pen to use. But any man always pays attention at the pen he use or other colleagues use. It is interesting for him and he marks it in his mind if somebody uses an unusual tool. But the appearance is not so interesting for any men.

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 18:52
I see.

I mean that there is a difference in thinking between women and men.
For example, women always pay attention to well-cared appearance and never pay attention to pens they or others use in office. So well educated women with big salary and the best appearance can use the cheapest pen to sing a document in office. It does not care for her which pen to use. But any man always pays attention at the pen he use or other colleagues use. It is interesting for him and he marks it in his mind if somebody uses an unusual tool. But the appearance is not so interesting for any men.

I am relieved that you wrote 'pen' and not something else! ;)

AVKomarov
19-03-2012, 18:55
Don't worry, I am very capable of looking after and taking excellent care of her! ;)
Maybe yes, but how to confirm it? Everybody tells that they are very capable of looking after and taking excellent care.
But you have no real name, no real location, no real avatar. Even your sex is not selected now. How can anybody trust you? :)
And after that you are telling "don't worry". No, I am very worry. Why not? :)

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 18:57
Good 'person', you look after her and enjoy her company! :)

robertmf
19-03-2012, 19:01
:)
Don't worry be happy - Bobby Mc Ferrin | Smiley edition! - YouTube

NotMe
19-03-2012, 21:17
wll, let's say.....I am not going to break up with my GF , but again a man being not married, consider himself to be "available". :)
Come hear, dear. Closer, closer...:fudd:

MickeyTong
19-03-2012, 21:30
Coldplay - God Put A Smile Upon Your Face - YouTube

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 21:33
So we have Russian Girls:

Sasha Dith - RUSSIAN GIRLS [ProjectONE Remix].flv - YouTube

Where is the video of Russian Men to excite the ladies? :confused:

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 21:35
Now this girl is 100% Klass! ;)

Russian girl on the Arbat - YouTube

peppermintpaddy
19-03-2012, 21:42

Good news finally! Thats what ive been waiting to hear!

robertmf
19-03-2012, 21:46
Good news finally! Thats what ive been waiting to hear!

Darn right. And the good news is I've got shorts & sandals on (for this week, anyway). Amazingly warm Winter this year and in the mid-70s F here in the middle of March.

Can you Muscovites say the same :11030:

peppermintpaddy
19-03-2012, 21:48

Russian girl on the Arbat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4oaejsYdF4)

She's just my type,brains and beauty.....any idea what piece she is playing?It's gotta be Russian ,surely?

NotMe
19-03-2012, 22:54
She's just my type,brains and beauty.....any idea what piece she is playing?It's gotta be Russian ,surely?

;)

Вивальди - Шторм - YouTube

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 22:59
She is the perfect example of how a good looking & talented girl can look very pretty in a simple Summer dress :)

I believe she is playing: *deleted - was totally wrong*

Jack17
19-03-2012, 23:01

Russian girl on the Arbat - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q4oaejsYdF4)
If she played Vivaldi as well as she looks she'd be another Heifetz!! Sadly, she should head back to the practice room or think of a career in modeling. However, she is a first class Moskva dyevuchka!

TolkoRaz
19-03-2012, 23:13
Jack17 - Enjoy! ;)

Escala Performing Kashmir with Slash 2009 - YouTube

KatjaBg
20-03-2012, 00:02

I really do not see connection between those 2 subjects. I smile only when I feel happy (and it is very very often). I don't need to be attracted to somebody to smile to him/ her or like him/ her!
And this topic is ONLY about outside appearance and attractivness...

Ghostly Presence
20-03-2012, 00:05
I find this thread kind of funny...

Are you sure it's just a Russian men thing and not a worldwide phenomenon? Plenty of fat, balding, and fairly young (30-40) men in America from what I've seen.

I agree with you. Moreover, I saw plenty of men (and women) in the US who look a bit like mutants. It's a particular way they are getting fat - with a huge fat neck and an enormous butt. You see plenty of stout folks here in Russia who could definitely stand to lose quite a few kilos, but the obese in the US are not just fat - they seem almost deformed. I attribute that to the quality of food in the States, since most of the obese belong to the lower and middle income bracket and good, healthy food is not cheap.

As for Russia - this is not a wealthy country, so men with families after a certain age might tend to take less care of themselves, as they have other more pressing concerns that require allocation of their limited financial resources.

Ghostly Presence
20-03-2012, 00:11
I smile only when I feel happy (and it is very very often).

Then you should definitely smile. I myself have long made it a habit to say hello to all my neighbors in my apartment building, even if they don't say anything back. Hopefully, eventually they will learn to do that too. Such is my hope, anyway.

KatjaBg
20-03-2012, 00:11

I think you made a very superficial assessment based on the limited formation I provided.
I already mentioned that I ask different questions to satisfy my curiosity. I'm sorry if my questions are provocative, but I like to challenge the opinions and views. Even my own.
And please tell me, based on what you concluded that I want to "change the world" around me? How do you know if I will hate my time in Russia or not?
As I said, it is very superficial assessment.

GaNozri
20-03-2012, 00:12

I am far from being good looking and was told that I could use a new wardrobe. But.., OMG... women still like me!!! Somehow, I feel like I need to appologise to you for that. Do I? I'm sorry, oh.., I'm so sorry! I promise - I'll buy some new clothes, shave more often and ask my sister to help me (do what?!).

KatjaBg
20-03-2012, 00:15
I ask my sister to help me (do what?!).

Maybe in this :)

I could use a new wardrobe.

Look, if you are happy, i'm happy as well :)

TolkoRaz
20-03-2012, 00:16
Of course, one of the great things about being a Russian male is that there is no shortage of gorgeous Russian females looking for husbands or homemakers, so why should men bother too much about how they look?

As they say in the village, there are plenty of fish in the pond :10310:

RestlessMouse
20-03-2012, 01:35

You kidding me! Horrible. She shouldn't play such complicated things if she can't. She failed on the 27th second (I am still kind to her!).

I specially found a live (not studio) Vivaldi's concert, just compare the perfect music Marcus Wolf & David Garrett "Summer", Hannover 18.05.2011 - YouTube

Or... did you mean only legs? :tv: :D

robertmf
20-03-2012, 01:59
You kidding me! Horrible. She shouldn't play such complicated things if she can't. She failed on the 27th second (I am still kind to her!).

Don't be too critical. :thumbsup: For a street musician she was very good - only missing the hat for alms.

RestlessMouse
20-03-2012, 02:24
Don't be too critical. :thumbsup: For a street musician she was very good - only missing the hat for alms.

Nah. For two years a girl in the centre of our city had been playing all the same dreary melody and for two years she had been playing it out of tunes... She disappeared recently. Maybe she collected enough money for her violin lessons or passers-by paid her not to stand there anymore :ok:

Viola
20-03-2012, 12:01
I am far from being good looking and was told that I could use a new wardrobe. But.., OMG... women still like me!!! Somehow, I feel like I need to appologise to you for that. Do I? I'm sorry, oh.., I'm so sorry! I promise - I'll buy some new clothes, shave more often and ask my sister to help me (do what?!).

Some women are attracted by mens' brains. I've never seen you but I find you (as well as many other men at this forum) very attractive.

Babygirl
20-03-2012, 15:46
Some women are attracted by mens' brains. I've never seen you but I find you (as well as many other men at this forum) very attractive.

+1 :)

robertmf
20-03-2012, 15:51

:elf:

NotMe
20-03-2012, 21:38

I specially found a live (not studio) Vivaldi's concert, just compare the perfect music Marcus Wolf & David Garrett "Summer", Hannover 18.05.2011 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omHqyT-lMFU)

Or... did you mean only legs? :tv: :D

These guys are perfect, thank you RestlessMouse :)

But I suppose that nobody can beat Vanessa Mae here.
She is like a Storm herself :)

I would like to find myself in that crowd. ;)

Vanessa Mae Storm (Vivaldi Techno) - YouTube

sasha1772
20-03-2012, 23:10
Let me intervene to backup our "poor" Russian guys heavily attacked here. I do not agree with everything what you are saying here about the Russian men. This is all lies and propaganda! Unpleasant individuals exist in my country same as they exist in Serbia, UK or USA. Noone is an exclusion to this rule of the nature and rednecks are have the right to live around us. But I totally disagree with what you are saying here about the Russian men and their ugliness. Moreover I warn you against such cathegorical statements. For your knowledge, the Russian people is one of the most beautiful people in the world. Too many different nationalities melted together casted the Russian nation with their fresh blood. I believe that you do look like as a twin sister of Angelina Jolly but even this does not let you speak about other people so bitterly.

Samodika
21-03-2012, 00:13
Let me intervene to backup our "poor" Russian guys heavily attacked here. I do not agree with everything what you are saying here about the Russian men. This is all lies and propaganda! Unpleasant individuals exist in my country same as they exist in Serbia, UK or USA. Noone is an exclusion to this rule of the nature and rednecks are have the right to live around us. But I totally disagree with what you are saying here about the Russian men and their ugliness. Moreover I warn you against such cathegorical statements. For your knowledge, the Russian people is one of the most beautiful people in the world. Too many different nationalities melted together casted the Russian nation with their fresh blood. I believe that you do look like as a twin sister of Angelina Jolly but even this does not let you speak about other people so bitterly.

We were not talking about beauty of faces, eyes, noses, ears etc, but about how russina men look (or don't) care about themselves

Ghostly Presence
21-03-2012, 01:22
We were not talking about beauty of faces, eyes, noses, ears etc, but about how russina men look (or don't) care about themselves

I have met quite a few egocentric narcissists among excessively well-groomed characters and a few gays - something worth to consider...

RestlessMouse
21-03-2012, 02:38
But I suppose that nobody can beat Vanessa Mae here.
She is like a Storm herself :)

I would like to find myself in that crowd. ;)

Perfect music in perfect studio :)

With modern technologies you don't even need music instruments to play music :) (not speaking of Vanessa Mae, just a comment).

Samodika
21-03-2012, 02:53
I have met quite a few egocentric narcissists among excessively well-groomed characters and a few gays - something worth to consider...

We all need the golden mean...

robertmf
21-03-2012, 03:17
We all need the golden mean...

The Golden Mean (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Golden_mean_(philosophy))

Babygirl
21-03-2012, 13:47
We all need the golden man with golden hands. :gay:

robertmf
21-03-2012, 15:42
We all need the golden man with golden hands. :gay:

:clown: Don't you mean, We all need the golden man with golden wallet. :question:

:cool:

SADIE Cupcakes
22-03-2012, 08:54
Do you really say it to him or do you imagine saying this? Sounds pretty rough really.

Yet I can't believe a guy would say it. Probably that was his girlfriend's version :)

Yes, I really said that. Yes, he really said that to me about the monkey bit.
I know it is rough, but he asked for it. He is a womanizer and total chauvanist. He even dates teenage girls and he is in his 30's. Anyway, we are buddies, so he took it in stride. He needed his butt kicked!

breezy
22-03-2012, 12:12
all of the Russian men i have met in america seem to care more about their appearance than me. seriously...nice watches, clothes, and cars...maybe that's the only ones i've met. the ones that i have seen not giving as much effort are the much older men, but even those dress classy when going to the park, lol!
i think russian men are cute! :)

TolkoRaz
22-03-2012, 16:54
I saw this lady (Жамиля Серкебаева) performing in Almaty a few years ago at a private party :)

01-Konil_Ashar2.vob Jamilya Serkebaeva - YouTube

Maria Kamysheva
29-03-2012, 22:06

One my friend consider the same. But to my mind, there are a lot of attractive, stylish, nice men.. Another question - a lot of them - pompous, self-satisfied selfish :)

NotMe
30-03-2012, 22:13
One my friend consider the same. But to my mind, there are a lot of attractive, stylish, nice men.. Another question - a lot of them - pompous, self-satisfied selfish :)

No wonder,- they are spoiled with women attention. ;)

robertmf
30-03-2012, 22:37
.. Another question - a lot of them - pompous, self-satisfied selfish :)

:wavey: Sure. More women than men ... so women must compete compete compete against each other !! :clown: Just like rugby scrum :Loco:

:tgif:

mrzuzzo
31-03-2012, 03:29

No wonder,- they are spoiled with women attention. ;)

+1!!

It's hard not to be overdosed on confidence when there is so much to choose from..

NotMe
31-03-2012, 07:43
[COLOR="DarkRed"]
:wavey: Sure. More women than men ... so women must compete compete compete against each other !! :clown: Just like rugby scrum :Loco:
I think "must" is not quite correct verb here, because each of us has a right for choice in this world. :p

That's why some women prefer to take their seats on the stand and watch rugby scrum at the distance. ;)

Swordfish90293
31-03-2012, 10:53
There are a number of places around the world where women outnumber men in certain age brackets. Certain places in Brazil, China. Go to Odessa in the Summer and a first time visitor will think they're being played a practical joke on with so many beautiful women in the city.

In such societies the reversed proportion of women to men changes the dynamic of how each gender relates to the other. Men have more choice so become at times lazy, sometimes gain self esteem, sometimes become disloyal. Women become more beautiful spawned by natural selection, more outgoing, more engaging...

yakspeare
31-03-2012, 14:07
There are a number of places around the world where women outnumber men in certain age brackets. Certain places in Brazil, China. Go to Odessa in the Summer and a first time visitor will think they're being played a practical joke on with so many beautiful women in the city.

In such societies the reversed proportion of women to men changes the dynamic of how each gender relates to the other. Men have more choice so become at times lazy, sometimes gain self esteem, sometimes become disloyal. Women become more beautiful spawned by natural selection, more outgoing, more engaging...

we have the opposite problem in parts of Australia:

Ugly girls welcome, says beer goggle capital

by: By Jessican Johnston
August 16, 2008 12:00AM

A SEVERE female drought has gripped Mount Isa, but Mayor John Molony thinks he has the answer: ugly girls.

Men outnumber women at a ratio of about five to one in the testosterone town and the female famine is taking its toll on young blokes.

But the quick-thinking mayor suggested these could be the perfect conditions for "ugly ducklings" to flourish into beautiful swans and find true happiness in the Isa.

"May I suggest if there are five blokes to every girl, we should find out where there are beauty-disadvantaged women and ask them to proceed to Mount Isa," Cr Molony said.

"Quite often you will see walking down the street a lass who is not so attractive with a wide smile on her face. Whether it is recollection of something previous or anticipation for the next evening, there is a degree of happiness.

"Often those who are beauty-disadvantaged are uphappy with their lot.

"Some, in other places in Australia, need to proceed to Mount Isa where happiness awaits.

"And, really, beauty is only skin deep. Isn't there a fairy tale about an ugly duckling that evolves into a beautiful swan?"

The miners' mecca has traditionally been a man's world and young fellas say living in the Isa is about earning money, not finding love.

In 2006 there were just 819 females aged 20-24 living in town, compared with 994 in 1996. While most blokes accept the female drought is "just the way it is out here" they still have a few suggestions as to how to lure the ladies out west.

Builder Paul Woodlands, 25, said the pay for jobs traditionally filled by women did not seem to match what the blokes could earn and there was little incentive for women to stay in the remote town.

"I know a few women who have come out here to do hairdressing, but they left to go back to the coast because the pay was bad and there's not much to do," Mr Woodlands said.

"I think if they improved wages for those types of jobs, it might help.

"There's definitely a lack of beautiful women, blokes are not as picky you take what you can get."

Grant Rollings, 26, dubbed the Isa "the beer goggle" capital of Australia.

He said blokes were far less choosy when it came to women, because they were few and far between.

Electrician Paul McDonald said his mates warned him not to bring his girlfriend to the Isa as she would become prey to the men.

Though he claimed the divorce rate is skyrocketing in Mount Isa, after 12 months he is still happily attached.

Fly-in, fly-out miner Luke Eastgate, 22, hinted that while there were women around, many were not the type to take home to meet your mother.

"There are a small number of professionals, like school teachers and nurses, but it's more of an open set-up, it's difficult to find a girlfriend in this town and keep her."

Mr Eastgate said many young professionals were in Mount Isa for a short time to start their career before they moved back to larger cities.

Read more: http://www.news.com.au/national/ugly-girls-welcome-says-beer-goggle-capital/story-e6frfkwr-1111117215607#ixzz1qgg9i4Dw

puzzle.ok
31-03-2012, 14:13

So true!!!

robertmf
31-03-2012, 16:34
we have the opposite problem in parts of Australia:

Ugly girls welcome, says beer goggle capital

by: By Jessican Johnston
August 16, 2008 12:00AM

A SEVERE female drought has gripped Mount Isa, but Mayor John Molony thinks he has the answer: ugly girls.

:10475: I was told ugly Australian girls are made to swim to PNG.

FatAndy
31-03-2012, 17:41
So true!!!

No. Sometimes we wear white shirts. :rasta:

...chocolate jacket, cream trousers and crimson shoes :cool:

robertmf
31-03-2012, 18:04
[/B]
I think "must" is not quite correct verb here, because each of us has a right for choice in this world. :p

If woman wants to get the Y chromosomes, then 'must' compete is correct :lick:

andymackem
31-03-2012, 18:08
So true!!!

I'm more Russian than I thought, then :sunny:

MickeyTong
31-03-2012, 19:38

Johnny Cash - Man in Black - YouTube

NotMe
31-03-2012, 20:22
If woman wants to get the Y chromosomes, then 'must' compete is correct :lick:

I would like to have the Y chromosome by birth, but unfortunately I was not given by nature such gift. :(

That's why i have to be weak and defenseless.:10305:

robertmf
31-03-2012, 20:28
I would like to have the Y chromosome by birth, but unfortunately I was not given by nature such gift. :(

:devilish: The chocolaty Swiss gnomes (http://www.novasans.com/sex-change/switzerland/) can make your dreams come true .... :mml:

NotMe
31-03-2012, 20:36
:devilish: The chocolaty Swiss gnomes (http://www.novasans.com/sex-change/switzerland/) can make your dreams come true .... :mml:

I believe that I have to bear my cross with dignity and not go against nature. ;)

01-04-2012, 00:28
Russian men might not look very groomed, but they are caring and dedicated husbands, especially the ones who live abroad :)

NotMe
01-04-2012, 10:35
Russian men might not look very groomed, but they are caring and dedicated husbands, especially the ones who live abroad :)

What do you mean exactly? :eh:

Russian husbands which live and work abroad and send all earned money to their wives in Russia? :p

FatAndy
01-04-2012, 17:04
What do you mean exactly? :eh:

Russian husbands which live and work abroad and send all earned money to their wives in Russia? :p
Aha. Ideal husband is blind-deaf-mute sea captain ;)

NotMe
01-04-2012, 17:38
Aha. Ideal husband is blind-deaf-mute sea captain ;)

A major would be better, not to mention a major-general! :p

Krolick
01-04-2012, 18:04

That's why i have to be weak and defenseless.:10305:

You were given the greatest gift - you make men want to protect you, to feel strong next to you and take care of you :)

NotMe
01-04-2012, 20:12
You were given the greatest gift - you make men want to protect you, to feel strong next to you and take care of you :)

Probably they feel strong next to me, but as for me- i don't feel protected. :p

TGP
07-04-2012, 01:54

No some other feelings too...

yakspeare
07-04-2012, 05:22

Superyak will protect you!

NotMe
07-04-2012, 12:46

You mean AK-200? ;) :p

robertmf
07-04-2012, 16:54

:punk:

yakspeare
07-04-2012, 19:24
I hate that photo..it was taken when the paparazzi discovered my secret identity as a mild mannered yak in the herd...and they sprung a camera on me in the morning before i could comb my hair.

Polina.R
09-04-2012, 15:53
95% are orcs and trolls. Out of the 5% goodlooking guys left - 4% are gays.
PS. Sorry guys, I have to have 5 posts to be able to start a new thread in the forum... so I'm entertaining myself as much as I can:)

breezy
10-04-2012, 10:54
I hate that photo..it was taken when the paparazzi discovered my secret identity as a mild mannered yak in the herd...and they sprung a camera on me in the morning before i could comb my hair.

i love that photo, lol!

FatAndy
10-04-2012, 12:37
i love that photo, lol!
Visit Krasnodar once. You'll see Yak in vivo ;)

TGP
10-04-2012, 13:06
Most of all I like that this thread is marked as WTF.
I also often say this to myself when look around.

Disco Kings
10-04-2012, 15:53

Yakety Yak-The coasters-original song-1958 - YouTube

breezy
10-04-2012, 18:28
Visit Krasnodar once. You'll see Yak in vivo ;)

Lol, I will have to do that :)

ksenjaru
10-04-2012, 20:22
In Russia the statistics that there are 3 woman for 1 man, so the competition is high and that is why the woman look much better than in Europe. Also if you are not married by 25, you become 2nd choice, so that is why woman at 30 look great.

PeterM
10-04-2012, 21:06
Also if you are not married by 25, you become 2nd choice

Other day I was quite surprised to learn that one of my staff is 26 and already married for 7 years (no, they don't have kids). That would explain...

natlee
10-04-2012, 22:24
Also if you are not married by 25, you become 2nd choice I'm crying now.

mrzuzzo
11-04-2012, 15:19
Also if you are not married by 25, you become 2nd choice

I disagree.

NotMe
11-04-2012, 17:21
In Russia the statistics that there are 3 woman for 1 man, so the competition is high and that is why the woman look much better than in Europe. Also if you are not married by 25, you become 2nd choice, so that is why woman at 30 look great.

Until women in Russia will keep thinking that way, Russian men will have a huge choice for adultère. ;)

blackdahliaabc
11-04-2012, 19:08
Early in the morning when i go out and take a ride on a train.I usually smell those Russian men with bad odors, Russian women with oily hair..They don't know how to refresh there self..Having make up with out taking a bath...That's what i observed here in russia.

TolkoRaz
11-04-2012, 19:52
Early in the morning when i go out and take a ride on a train.I usually smell those Russian men with bad odors, Russian women with oily hair..They don't know how to refresh there self..Having make up with out taking a bath...That's what i observed here in russia.

I assume that you are living in Russia's Far East or deep South? :coffee:

FatAndy
11-04-2012, 20:56
I assume that you are living in Russia's Far East or deep South? :coffee:

No, blackdahliaabc lives in Moscow, judging from "Location" field...
;)

robertmf
11-04-2012, 23:21
I'm crying now.

You have knowledge of English, so I wouldn't worry. Most college women here are delaying marriage. Perhaps more like 30+ for woman and 35 for male.

Only the high schoolers are getting married in teens or early 20s. So it averages out to an early number

Age at first marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Samodika
12-04-2012, 02:21
You have knowledge of English, so I wouldn't worry. Most college women here are delaying marriage. Perhaps more like 30+ for woman and 35 for male.

Only the high schoolers are getting married in teens or early 20s. So it averages out to an early number

Age at first marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_at_first_marriage)

I am relocating then!! :)

robertmf
12-04-2012, 04:06
I am relocating then!! :)

As Clint Eastwood said, Do you feel lucky (https://www.dvlottery.state.gov/) :question:
:clown:

natlee
12-04-2012, 11:20

Age at first marriage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Age_at_first_marriage)

Well thank you... I WAS married though, does this up my chances or decrease them? :confused1: :D

Disco Kings
12-04-2012, 11:37
Well thank you... I WAS married though, does this up my chances or decrease them? :confused1: :D

Depends, if you were married to a Russian billionaire your chances go up! If it was a fruit seller well, your chances, lets say aren't as good.

amerikanka949
12-04-2012, 11:42
Uhh, well I hate to bring social class into this, but...

After traveling to several countries and thinking about people back home in America, I am convinced that people who grew up with more money and closer to a big, cosmopolitan city are generally more attractive. Even without plastic surgery and expensive clothing and makeup, I tend to notice rich people are better looking. I think it's because they presumably grew up eating better quality food, had better health care, and had more access to the gyms and recreational activities.

I've lived in both Moscow and the provinces, and I must say, Muscovites are better looking than the average provincial Russian (both males and females). Food in the provinces is generally of lower quality. I notice a similar trend with people in the US. You see better looking people in the wealthier suburbs and big cities, whereas in the more economically depressed rural areas people have more weight problems, bad hair and skin issues (acne is often caused by bad diets), and they're just generally not put together as well.

Plus, the good looking people of the smaller towns often leave and move to the big cities like Moscow.

Maybe all the ugly men in Moscow that the OP sees are from the provinces. :P

Besides cosmetics, plastic surgery, and nice clothing, think about the other things that people do to make themselves look good: gym memberships or recreational activities (yoga), tanning (in moderation, of course), orthodontics and good dental care, treatments for healthier hair. These things all cost money.

I bet if we could go back in time before all this stuff was available and see people in their most primitive form, we would find our ancestors very ugly.

natlee
12-04-2012, 11:45
Depends, if you were married to a Russian billionaire your chances go up! If it was a fruit seller well, your chances, lets say aren't as good. Damn. :D

But that makes no sense! If I were any good, the Russian billionaire would've kept me! :confused:

PeterM
12-04-2012, 11:58
But that makes no sense! If I were any good, the Russian billionaire would've kept me!

Whether or not he kept you could be something secondary here :) I think in Russia being an ex-wife to a billionaire would mean:

1. Outstanding good looks
2. Outstanding intelligence (if that part is missing then see point 1)
3. Financial independence following a divorce (provided you had good lawyers)

All 3 points significantly increasing chances for the another happy marriage. As for the ex-wife of fruit seller hmmmmm......:question:

TolkoRaz
12-04-2012, 12:04

They say that 'practice makes perfect', so I would think that any man would benefit from marriage to a more experienced girl :11033:

Disco Kings
12-04-2012, 12:06
Damn. :D

But that makes no sense! If I were any good, the Russian billionaire would've kept me! :confused:

Those guys change women like some people change sox, so you must be just a little more beautiful than most, he married you right? But a little money might help. Couldn't hurt. Well unless you looked like yo mama beat you with the ugly stick. I don't think that's the case, but you married the fruit seller didn't you? What were you thinking?

TolkoRaz
12-04-2012, 12:07
Whether or not he kept you could be something secondary here :) I think in Russia being an ex-wife to a billionaire would mean:

All 3 points significantly increasing chances for the another happy marriage. As for the ex-wife of fruit seller hmmmmm......:question:

If sacked by a Russian billionaire, it is more likely that she crashed his superyacht or Lambourghini on more than one occasion! :eek:

natlee
12-04-2012, 12:09

All 3 points significantly increasing chances for the another happy marriage. As for the ex-wife of fruit seller hmmmmm......:question: I did wonder whether point 3 was what Disco really meant ;)

PeterM
12-04-2012, 12:15
Those guys change women like some people change sox

The may change women like they do change gloves or underwear but certainly do don't change wifes so often ;) Changing wife must be quite expensive even for Russian billionaire :question:

PeterM
12-04-2012, 12:18
I did wonder whether point 3 was what Disco really meant ;)

Learning a little bit of his style it's possible the money is the ONLY thing he has meant :iagree:

Disco Kings
12-04-2012, 12:20
The may change women like they do change gloves or underwear but certainly do don't change wifes so often ;) Changing wife must be quite expensive even for Russian billionaire :question:

Natlee I think you found yourself a lawyer.

natlee
12-04-2012, 12:21
Those guys change women like some people change sox, so you must be just a little more beautiful than most, he married you right? But a little money might help. Couldn't hurt. Well unless you looked like yo mama beat you with the ugly stick. I don't think that's the case, but you married the fruit seller didn't you? What were you thinking? I look like ma mama beat me with a heavy hand :suspect: And I was thinking :iloveyou:

Disco Kings
12-04-2012, 12:22
Learning a little bit of his style it's possible the money is the ONLY thing he has meant :iagree:

I only believe in love, I'm a fruit seller.

natlee
12-04-2012, 12:24
I only believe in love, I'm a fruit seller. Hence looking for an ex-wife of a Russian billionaire? ;)

Disco Kings
12-04-2012, 12:31
I look like ma mama beat me with a heavy hand :suspect: And I was thinking :iloveyou:

By your photo looks like she staved you too. You skinny girl! I bet you look real good in a bathing suit.

natlee
12-04-2012, 12:44
By your photo looks like she staved you too. You skinny girl! I bet you look real good in a bathing suit. No but I look damn good in PJs :shame: It was a long winter, I needed my (protective layer of) fat! :emote_popcorn:

Disco Kings
12-04-2012, 12:44
Hence looking for an ex-wife of a Russian billionaire? ;)

Only girls can do that?

I cook too.

Disco Kings
12-04-2012, 12:49
No but I look damn good in PJs :shame: It was a long winter, I needed my (protective layer of) fat! :emote_popcorn:

One thing I like about Russian girls, they like to sleep a lot. Easy to find them in the morning.

FatAndy
12-04-2012, 13:48
Depends, if you were married to a Russian billionaire your chances go up! If it was a fruit seller well, your chances, lets say aren't as good.

It also depends on how many fruits that seller used to sell per day... if 200-300 kg, it is one song, if 200-300 Kt, it's another one... ;)

TolkoRaz
12-04-2012, 14:01
It also depends on how many fruits that seller used to sell per day... if 200-300 kg, it is one song, if 200-300 Kt, it's another one... ;)

It also depends on the variety of fruits - my guess is that it was Passion fruits! ;)

Iro solo
12-04-2012, 14:05
I didn't want to write here but change my mind. Russian man have two sides..one of them very attractive,very fashion and visiting various fashion masters too often. And they haven't so brutal attractive which must have any man as I think.
Other parts of them man who suppose that they are most beautiful, most clever and etc...but they are wrong,because they use shower just few times a week, can wearing one shirt day by day...and just a little part of all Russian man can be compare with foreign people. I am travelling a lot and all time you can say who is from Russia))) it's really terrible!!but I must say about Russian man at age from 20 and upper who live at Moscow or St.Petersburg they work about themself and try to change!!and it's excellent! It's time to change!!

PeterM
12-04-2012, 14:06
Natlee I think you found yourself a lawyer.

I wish I could do that :11215: Being a good divorce lawyer in the country where people get married so young just to discover few years later that it's not all about sex and partying together, seems like a very good business.

Unfortunately, I'm just a simple bean counter.

natlee
12-04-2012, 14:19
I wish I could do that :11215: Being a good divorce lawyer in the country where people get married so young just to discover few years later that it's not all about sex and partying together, seems like a very good business.

Unfortunately, I'm just a simple bean counter. Quit whining about the lack of money, and start telling us what you're good at! Don't forget, I've already been married to a fruit seller! :D

Samodika
12-04-2012, 14:41

Unfortunately, I'm just a simple bean counter.

It's never too late to change your job ))) it would be your long-term investment )

Periwinkle
12-04-2012, 14:45
I have a question Regarding spit...why is there so much spit and phlegm on the pavements, steps and other areas. Is there a cultural belief that men must spit all over to be healthy or masculine?
It seems to be mostly men doing this and as this is a thread about men in Russia....please explain.

PeterM
12-04-2012, 14:47
Don't forget, I've already been married to a fruit seller! :D

And I understand you don't want to repeat this wonderful experience. Wonder why? :D

I'm very good at bean counting. I hope one day I will be able to do it pa russki :nut:

FatAndy
12-04-2012, 14:52
Is there a cultural belief that men must spit all over to be healthy or masculine?
It seems to be mostly men doing this and as this is a thread about men in Russia....please explain.
No, it is just lack of hygienic education and culture. It also depends on qty of municipal litter bins installed and maintained.

Samodika
12-04-2012, 14:54
I have a question Regarding spit...why is there so much spit and phlegm on the pavements, steps and other areas. Is there a cultural belief that men must spit all over to be healthy or masculine?

Lack of inner culture.

Samodika
12-04-2012, 15:03
I'm very good at bean counting. I hope one day I will be able to do it pa russki :nut:

Do you mean you are going to learn 'creative accounting'? :)

amerikanka949
12-04-2012, 15:05

Because they smoke more cigarettes in Russia. Smokers spit a lot.

PeterM
12-04-2012, 15:18
Do you mean you are going to learn 'creative accounting'? :)

No need for that. I'm already :11109: Otherwise they wouldn't sentenced me to do time in Moscow ;)

Periwinkle
12-04-2012, 15:22
Because they smoke more cigarettes in Russia. Smokers spit a lot.

I wondered about that but then do not see other people who smoke a great deal doing the same,in the middle of walking paths or stairways.... Plus it seems to be a male thing not female and a lot of females smoke.
I wish if they feel they must, they would do it off to the side a bit....

Jack17
12-04-2012, 18:09
Peri, this seems to be an annual question of yours; which begs my question, why are you still in Russia? The way I see it, if mushiki spitting on the street bothers you, then Russia is not your place. It's almost like saying: I can't tolerate people who drink vodka; but I want to live in Russia.

FatAndy
12-04-2012, 18:17
I can't tolerate people who drink vodka; but I want to live in Russia.
BTW, Jack, vodka is too posh.
This one rules:
http://www.newlel.ru/m/foto/31299.jpg

natlee
12-04-2012, 18:18
Peri, this seems to be an annual question of yours; which begs my question, why are you still in Russia? The way I see it, if mushiki spitting on the street bothers you, then Russia is not your place. It's almost like saying: I can't tolerate people who drink vodka; but I want to live in Russia. Heeey, I can't tolerate people who drink vodka (or anything, for that matter, when it's often enough!) and I live in Russia :shame:

FatAndy
12-04-2012, 18:21
Heeey, I can't tolerate people who drink vodka (or anything, for that matter, when it's often enough!) and I live in Russia :shame:
Hmmmm - what is "often enough"?
25 ml * 6 times a day is often?
150 ml once a day?
One liter every Saturday?
;)

Jack17
12-04-2012, 18:23
Heeey, I can't tolerate people who drink vodka (or anything, for that matter, when it's often enough!) and I live in Russia :shame:
My recommendation then is look for accomodations in St. George or Provo Utah, far fewer vodka drinkers there than Moskva - far fewer street spitter too.

natlee
12-04-2012, 18:26
Hmmmm - what is "often enough"?
25 ml * 6 times a day is often?
150 ml once a day?
One liter every Saturday?
;) :D When my (English) bf would have a beer or two, a cocktail or two, a glass or two of wine all in one day? To be perfectly honest, even a glass/beer a day I find 'too often', when it's every day :whisper:

Samodika
12-04-2012, 18:27
[QUOTE=Jack17;982771]Peri, this seems to be an annual question of yours; which begs my question, why are you still in Russia? The way I see it, if mushiki spitting on the street bothers you, then Russia is not your place. It's almost like saying: I can't tolerate people who drink vodka; but I want to live in Russia.[/QUOTE

It's a very simple approach - "if you cannot tolerate anything, just go away".
Spitting on the streets, etc is smth which is not a nice habit, and indicates on our education, culture, upbringing..and we seem to degrade from this perspective... and that's pitty

FatAndy
12-04-2012, 18:31
To be perfectly honest, even a glass/beer a day I find 'too often', when it's every day :whisper:
You're too strict. Me too, but I allow myself 50 ml of brandy in the evening.:cool:

FatAndy
12-04-2012, 18:33
and we seem to degrade from this perspective... and that's pitty
No. At least in Moscow it continues stable already 28 years, since the start of my observations in 1983.

natlee
12-04-2012, 18:37
You're too strict. Me too, but I allow myself 50 ml of brandy in the evening.:cool: I have once upon a time dated a man who had too much too often.. so I admit I have a bit of an issue with alcohol :suspect: Personally, I enjoy a Mojito once in a while, but have no problem having a 'virgin' one (in fact, it tastes better :shhhhhh:) since I'm always driving. I do try to have a drink on my birthday, as well as New Year's :D

Jack17
12-04-2012, 18:40
Spitting on the streets, etc is smth which is not a nice habit, and indicates on our education, culture, upbringing..and we seem to degrade from this perspective... and that's pitty

Listen Samodika, there are plenty of street spitters in America. No, most are probably not Harvard graduates; that's true. The problem is Periwinkle just hasn't associated much with American yokles and rednecks as I have. We have our mushiki in American too; Periwinkle is just culturally deprived or she'd know better.

TolkoRaz
12-04-2012, 19:34
:D When my (English) bf would have a beer or two, a cocktail or two, a glass or two of wine all in one day? To be perfectly honest, even a glass/beer a day I find 'too often', when it's every day :whisper:

Find another bf - may be a Mormon would be a better choice? :p

natlee
12-04-2012, 19:46
Find another bf - may be a Mormon would be a better choice? :p Big meanie! :agree:

TolkoRaz
12-04-2012, 20:41
Hope her man is not viewing today!

;)

TolkoRaz
12-04-2012, 20:42
Reasonable dress sense to! :smurf:

Jack17
12-04-2012, 20:51
I do try to have a drink on my birthday, as well as New Year's :D

This is how problem drinking begins. Trust me; I know.

Swordfish90293
12-04-2012, 23:34
Listen Samodika, there are plenty of street spitters in America. No, most are probably not Harvard graduates; that's true. The problem is Periwinkle just hasn't associated much with American yokles and rednecks as I have. We have our mushiki in American too; Periwinkle is just culturally deprived or she'd know better.

The practice is nowhere as prevalent in the States, in the sticks or in cities, as here. Even China initiated a movement a few years ago to curb (no pun) spitting...it's disgusting that s!@t in the street...

Jack17
13-04-2012, 04:14
The practice is nowhere as prevalent in the States, in the sticks or in cities, as here. Even China initiated a movement a few years ago to curb (no pun) spitting...it's disgusting that s!@t in the street...
Swordfish, are you and periwinkle a number? What a couple of bitchy Americans; if you can't take the spitting, get out of the kitchen.

I don't know where you've been in the States; but there's not an Arkansan, Mississippian or good-ol-boy cracker who doesn't spit where he pleases in the States. Now, the contrasts comes between Moskva and New York or LA; in those cities, true, Americans don't spit. But I say, if you don't like spitting, vodka or hot steamy sex, what are you doing in Russia anyway? What other reasons are there to go to Russia - the ballet?

PeterM
13-04-2012, 06:53
Swordfish, are you and periwinkle a number? What a couple of bitchy Americans; if you can't take the spitting, get out of the kitchen.

Well, one could say "When in Rome do as Romans do" :7534:

Personally, I don't think spitting is any worse than having to watch those obese 200lbs + "chicks" roaming streets in most of the US towns and cities. Talk about disgusting and unhealthy... :yuk:

yakspeare
13-04-2012, 06:56
Australians don't spit, I guess it can be acceptable in race or marathon etc , but otherwise no. Indeed if you spit in Australia on the street, there is an excellent chance someone will either yell at you or punch you in the face. Thus I find dodging Russian spit a very annoying pastime. But hey that's the boys who do that, and I am not here for them. Most Russian women I know find it disgusting too, and they are grateful that I am a non-spitter.

Interestingly enough, I know a few Russians who have lived in China, and all were horrified about how much the Chinese spit. Now if the Russians think the Chinese spit too much...my God that is saying something....

Periwinkle
13-04-2012, 09:30

Right Jack, the south is filled with streets full of phlegm and tobacco spit. It runs brown when it rains and people must jump out of the way.

Strangely, I must have meet more considerate rednecks, as most tend to spit their tobacco in cans or some such. Outside they tend to avoid foot paths and kindly remove their tobacco spit in a way as not to inconvenience others.. Ie if there is a road and a sidewalk they seem to choose the road over the pavement.

I am sure pristine SanDiego has more of an issue with bubble gum than wads of phlegm in the middle of the sidewalks.

molly picon
13-04-2012, 10:23
Regarding spit in the streets- after being here a few months, I started noticing that every time I looked down I could quite reliably see a viscous pile of fluid around the size of a half-dollar. I said something about the spit to my husband, who blamed central Asian immigrants and possibly leaking air ducts. I don't care who is making the spit blobs, but now I'm just pretending they come from air ducts, or cleaning accidents.

natlee
13-04-2012, 10:50
Regarding spit in the streets- after being here a few months, I started noticing that every time I looked down I could quite reliably see a viscous pile of fluid around the size of a half-dollar. I have to say I'm truly amazed to hear you notice the spit after the act, unless you're specifically looking - and even so :confused:

TolkoRaz
13-04-2012, 10:51
Spitting is gross :eek: In Iraq working alongside the US Military Forces & Civilian Agencies, I was disgusted to see them chewing some sort of tobacco and spitting black liquid into cut off transparent plastic water bottles which they soon filled and then left lying around; it looked like black coffee but wasn't! :eek:

It seemed to be some form of habit, even during high level briefings, men were spitting this yucky liquid into cut away bottles whilst at the birdtable and at the briefing maps! :eek:

Out of the desert and back to Russia, there is nothing worse than seeing frozen spit on the pavement and at entrances to shops etc; not only is it unsightly, its also a health hazard! :book:

In other countries, they have a 'No Smoking' day, perhaps Russia should instigate a 'No Spitting' day? ;)

Disco Kings
13-04-2012, 11:19
Spitting is gross :eek: In Iraq working alongside the US Military Forces & Civilian Agencies, I was disgusted to see them chewing some sort of tobacco and spitting black liquid into cut off transparent plastic water bottles which they soon filled and then left lying around; it looked like black coffee but wasn't! :eek:

It seemed to be some form of habit, even during high level briefings, men were spitting this yucky liquid into cut away bottles whilst at the birdtable and at the briefing maps! :eek:

Out of the desert and back to Russia, there is nothing worse than seeing frozen spit on the pavement and at entrances to shops etc; not only is it unsightly, its also a health hazard! :book:

In other countries, they have a 'No Smoking' day, perhaps Russia should instigate a 'No Spitting' day? ;)

Yeah! No more spitting! From now on everbody swallow!

TolkoRaz
13-04-2012, 11:31
Yeah! No more spitting! From now on everbody swallow!

Especially the ladies! ;)

Disco Kings
13-04-2012, 11:45
Especially the ladies! ;)

Good girls don't spit.

TolkoRaz
13-04-2012, 13:54
Only Lastochki swallow! ;)

Jack17
13-04-2012, 16:13

This is a revelation Tolko; I never realized that former members of the British SAS, or to whatever special organization you were attached, were quite so prissy.

Yes, you are correct, chewing tabacco (or tabaki as the good-ol-boys call it) is a tradition among American baseball players and the military. But, in deference to Periwinkle, my favorite Amerikanka, they do spit the chewed tobacco into some form of recepticle, not onto the street or sidewalk.

TolkoRaz
13-04-2012, 16:25
As I wrote, they spat it into clear plastic Evian (or equivalent) water bottles! :eek:

At least, I didn't see them spitting it into the sand! :11033:

Disco Kings
13-04-2012, 16:32
As I wrote, they spat it into clear plastic Evian (or equivalent) water bottles! :eek:

At least, I didn't see them spitting it into the sand! :11033:

Real men swallow.

TolkoRaz
13-04-2012, 16:49
Real men swallow.

Real men don't need to swallow! ;)

Disco Kings
13-04-2012, 17:00
Real men don't need to swallow! ;)

Ok, but it kind of takes the fun out vodka.

KatyaStans
14-04-2012, 09:42
Women here have types as well as men do: there ones "on the hunt", the ones who "couldn't care less" and "the settled ones". You can guess who is who, usually. In UK, for example, I found that it was girls between 16 and 19 who resembled the Russians "on the hunt" in their dress sense. Another correction, given the general state of moral here, even the "settled ones" have to work hard in order to compete for their husbands with those who are "on the hunt". Such is life in Russia.

amerikanka949
15-04-2012, 17:45
Having a skewed male-to-female ratio isn't something Russians should be proud of. A significant lack of male population usually indicates that the area is infested with poverty. Mississippi also has this problem. There are exceptions, of course, such as academic regions (university cities pull in more females, i.e. Boston, DC). But when there is a trend around an entire country like that, it goes to show how the conditions are. Alcoholism and bad diets are a major factor in the lack of men in Russia as the age bracket goes up. While this may be a dream come true for men, the reasons are pretty pitiful.

A lack of females, on the other hand, is more a result in less populated areas where tough industry and technology are starting to develop. In the US, for instance, places like Arizona, Nevada, and Alaska have cities with overwhelming amounts of men who can't find women. But unlike the situation in Mississippi, these cities aren't necessarily poor. Just uninhabited and developing with industry.

Luna Luna
16-04-2012, 22:45
I really agree with you. This is a strange situation with russian men. And it's seems to me that it get worse with every year. Because I am Russian and can see it by my own eyes all the time )) Poor Russian women...

In Moscow the situation is better, but in another Russian regions terrible.