PDA

View Full Version : Banking?

Spartak97
17-03-2012, 01:45
Hi,
Anyone have any advice for the best banks to use in Moscow? Any that should be avoided? I'll be living here long-term potentially so using my bank
from the US isn't practical.
Thanks.

Samodika
17-03-2012, 02:10
Hi,
Anyone have any advice for the best banks to use in Moscow? Any that should be avoided? I'll be living here long-term potentially so using my bank
Thanks.

To use: Raiffeisen, Citi, BSGV and other "international" ones. But note that they all are Russian legal entities here, so no links to their Head Offices abroad. Staff speak English

To avoid: I would say SBERbank as it is one of the most inconvinient banks, but it has an advantage of a huge list of ATM allover Russia. But no one speaks English (at least I have never met)

DavidB
17-03-2012, 02:10
If you need an English speaking one, UniCredit and Raiffeisen are often recommended. They also happen to offer some of the most competitive exchange rates among the big banks, along with Svyaz Bank.

UniCredit has some advantages if you travel in Europe - you can withdraw Euros from their machines without commission in other countries. If that isn't useful to you, just choose whichever of the two is closest to your home or work.

The cheapest way to bring your US dollars to Russia is to open a CitiBank account in USA and withdraw the dollars in Moscow (commission free at Citi ATMs). You can then exchange the dollars at a kiosk/bank (see link below for the best rates) or deposit them into another bank, such as UniCredit or Raiffeisen.
http://cash.rbc.ru/

BSGV is no longer operating on the Russian market and has sold their branches to Rosbank. They are in the process of rebranding at the moment.

Samodika
17-03-2012, 02:17
BSGV is no longer operating on the Russian market and has sold their branches to Rosbank. They are in the process of rebranding at the moment.

Oh, didn't know about BSGV and always forget about Unicredit... thanks for adding this info

AVKomarov
17-03-2012, 13:47
Anyone have any advice for the best banks to use in Moscow?
If you are going to work in Russia your employer will advise you which bank to open account in.

Benedikt
17-03-2012, 17:02
Hi,
Thanks.

they work with, because they pay salaries often now direct into bank accounts and not cash anymore.
but if you have a choice take Raiffeisen. They also have a very good -Raiffeisen Connect- Internet banking system, that lets you transfer money back home,make payments ( commission free) for cable TV, telephone and the like.
Drawback: strict security, if you do not use the account for 60 days, password and login become invalid and you have to go to your bank branch to get a new one.( no e mail, suppose that is logical and understandable).
Don't know if they have different rules and regulations, but I am an Austrian and ME they asked only my passport, and nothing else, to open an account.

DimoTupurkovski
21-03-2012, 14:22
Best bank 100%

StellaS
22-03-2012, 13:25
Best bank 100%

Agree 100%, smooth account opening procedure, staff speak English, all forms in both Russian and English. So far no complaints.