PDA

View Full Version : Doctor Arrested

Judge
15-03-2012, 10:11
Less of these doctors the better...

Doctor Arrested After Demanding Bribe for Care

A Kaliningrad doctor has been arrested after forbidding his staff to provide medical care to a patient whose daughter refused to pay a bribe.

Kaliningrad police spokesman Sergei Grachyev said, "The surgeon demanded a bribe from a woman whose mother underwent an operation at a hospital. The doctor said 5,000 rubles ($170) would be 'monetary gratitude' for his work and care for the patient," Interfax repoted.

The doctor forbade medical staff to care for the post-operative patient until he was "thanked." As a result, the patient's wounds began to fester, which in turn increased the potential for more serious medical consequences.

The patient's daughter contacted police, who arrested the doctor as he took the requested bribe. The investigation is ongoing, and no criminal charges have yet been brought in the case.

Requesting money from patients for certain procedures is common practice at state-funded clinics and hospitals, even though medical care is free for all citizens by law.

Read more: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/doctor-arrested-after-demanding-bribe-for-care/454699.html#ixzz1pAR1lx5v
The Moscow Times

Ghostly Presence
15-03-2012, 11:10
Anyone who dealt with Russian medical care knows that you have to "grease the wheels" of the medical staff not to be ignored. Of course, this pertains to almost any aspect of life in Russia, unfortunately. That is why any talk about fighting corruption is pointless because corruption here is a way of life that permeates Russian society to its core. People tend to blame government officials for being corrupt, but the ordinary citizens are just as corrupt, only the scale of bribe-taking is different. Arresting a doctor or two will not change anything as long as official compensation of medical staff falls way behind the cost of living.

yakspeare
15-03-2012, 11:29
I have mixed feelings about this. I will never bribe under any circumstances, no matter how inconvenient or harmful it would be to not do it. Not only is it about taking a stand against it, it is also against Australian law for me to do it while overseas. Recently a business exec was arrested in China for bribery...now he was doing what everyone was doing-standard business practice-but the Chinese and Australia had a disagreement , so they decided to make an example of this guy...Australia was furious until they learnt that the allegations were probably true, then they refused to assist him and further said if he returned to Australia he would be arrested.

So I just don't do it.

On the other hand my new girlfriend is a doctor. I knew her pay was small but it was interesting she complained the other day that she has been moved to nightshifts....the main reason she didn't like it was working during the day patients gave her extra money-the night work means very little of this. She literally doesn't have enough money to survive with rent and her child etc...and our relationship is too new for her to move with in me, nor does she want me to support her. But it is clear the salary of doctors is woefully inadequate.

Ghostly Presence
15-03-2012, 11:52
. But it is clear the salary of doctors is woefully inadequate.

Not just doctors. The same can be said just about anybody on the government payroll. Unfortunately, for certain occupations insufficient pay leads to socially dangerous consequences and doctors and policemen are prime examples of that.

bydand
15-03-2012, 12:45
Not just doctors. The same can be said just about anybody on the government payroll. Unfortunately, for certain occupations insufficient pay leads to socially dangerous consequences and doctors and policemen are prime examples of that.

[sarcasm] That is why the government pays the police more now! So we don't have to, the government simply takes our money up-front, beforehand. Police corruption ended, simple![sarcasm]

Ghostly Presence
15-03-2012, 14:13
[sarcasm] That is why the government pays the police more now! So we don't have to, the government simply takes our money up-front, beforehand. Police corruption ended, simple![sarcasm]

Actually, I agree with your sarcasm. No reasonable (even by western standards) salary could compete with the kind of money that top police brass makes on bribes and extortion. With doctors it's different though as what they can earn on bribes is probably somewhat capped, so they are more likely to adjust their habits not to risk their decent salary, once they start getting one.