PDA

View Full Version : substance in life?

tukis25
29-09-2007, 20:37
i came to moscow ten years ago with shining eyes, a small bag and no return ticket. I slept in the airport and spent the next day in the corridors of moscow state waiting for my prospective PhD adviser who forgot about me)) I do not remember if i was hungry but i remember that i was happy - i 'd written an interesting research paper, and i new i was a genius))

life's very full now. and fast. sometimes too fast to think about things. projects, meetings, friends, dinners, vacations. yet, over the last couple of years i've had a feeling someting important was missing in my life. something called substance. how can i have it back?

do you have the same kind of feeling sometimes? how do you deal with it? i would love to hear your experiences. thank you!

AndreyS
29-09-2007, 20:45
i came to moscow ten years ago with shining eyes, a small bag and no return ticket. I slept in the airport and spent the next day in the corridors of moscow state waiting for my prospective PhD adviser who forgot about me)) I do not remember if i was hungry but i remember that i was happy - i 'd written an interesting research paper, and i new i was a genius))

life's very full now. and fast. sometimes too fast to think about things. projects, meetings, friends, dinners, vacations. yet, over the last couple of years i've had a feeling someting important was missing in my life. something called substance. how can i have it back?

do you have the same kind of feeling sometimes? how do you deal with it? i would love to hear your experiences. thank you!

I see you are sci. resercher, Ph.D. In what area? In Physics or so?

I used to be a scientist also, but left 10 years ago because of lack of funding. But when I worked as sci. researcher, there were no feeling like yours, brcuse it was really essnce of my life. Can't you say the same about yourself? Where do you work?

tukis25
29-09-2007, 21:06
Andrey, it was linguistics, and i also quit 7 years ago, and now missing those times. now working in a major multinational.

AndreyS
29-09-2007, 21:17
Andrey, it was linguistics, and i also quit 7 years ago, and now missing those times. now working in a major multinational.

Ahhh, those good old times... The grass was greener... We are all missing them. But we MUST live, which means live in present, whatever hard would it be. We musr find ourselves in present, the harder you work, the less time for bad thoughts...
My work is not interesting, it's just for a living..,
I live beyond my work nowadays. I mean hobbies (travel, expat bars etc.)
The only luxury in our lives is a luxuty of social interaction. (you remember)
Including this forum, whatever they write in it.

Ghostly Presence
29-09-2007, 21:44

One Russian philosopher, whose name now escapes me, once said that the final goal is nothing, but the movement toward that goal is everything.

Perhaps you just need to find a different goal that will make your eyes shine with excitement once again…

AndreyS
29-09-2007, 22:05
He's Geman, really.

Korotky Gennady
30-09-2007, 01:37

Thank you for this post... Tukis. I'm sure that it's the best post I ever red here. Of course I had and I have the such felling too. It's a kind of guestion about sense of life.

:hooray:

Korotky Gennady
30-09-2007, 01:40
He's Geman, really.

Andrey i think that it's the pure russian question.

Korotky Gennady
30-09-2007, 01:43
One Russian philosopher, whose name now escapes me, once said that the final goal is nothing, but the movement toward that goal is everything.

Perhaps you just need to find a different goal that will make your eyes shine with excitement once again…

Ghost, it's not one russian philosopher who said it. It was the german marxist Bernshtein who said it in the 19th century. ;) And he meant the working class movement he spoke about...

Ghostly Presence
30-09-2007, 12:08
Ghost, it's not one russian philosopher who said it. It was the german marxist Bernshtein who said it in the 19th century. ;) And he meant the working class movement he spoke about...

No, I distinctly remember that the TV program where I heard that quote referred to a Russian philosopher with a very Russian name (something like Nikolaev, but I do not recall exactly).

Anyway, it is not that important who said that. What matters is that, in my mind, that phrase has a lot of wisdom in it.

AndreyS
30-09-2007, 12:47
No, I distinctly remember that the TV program where I heard that quote referred to a Russian philosopher with a very Russian name (something like Nikolaev, but I do not recall exactly).

Anyway, it is not that important who said that. What matters is that, in my mind, that phrase has a lot of wisdom in it.

Yeah, life is motion. Move on!

Korotky Gennady
30-09-2007, 15:12

I'm sorry but it's marxist Bernshtain who was the first who said it. Anyway it doesn't matter...

But i don't feel much wisdom in these words.

Korotky Gennady
30-09-2007, 15:14
Yeah, life is motion. Move on!

On and on... on and on... just to Hell ! :)

:wavey:

ezik
01-10-2007, 20:46
I think that the way of getting substance back is something that grabs you and gives you the thought that you are needed, desperately.

You will need to think out of the box of your scientific successes and accomplishments.

I'm sure you do good being a genius, but academic worlds are closed and limited worlds. The "ivory tower" is comfortable but small. Life is out on the streets.

Getting some proper meaning back might work best if you look at some cause that could really need your efforts. There must be things that upset you or you think you could help on. Focus on those: many people may need your help.

For someone stuck in Moscow with this sort of good intentions, I can only suggest to check our Charity forum and pick a cause.

Korotky Gennady
03-10-2007, 04:02
i came to moscow ten years ago with shining eyes, a small bag and no return ticket.
over the last couple of years i've had a feeling someting important was missing in my life. something called substance. how can i have it back?

!

Be at this forum... man ! And the substance of life will do come back. ;)