PDA

View Full Version : Answer this... if you can ;)

moscowmail
10-12-2003, 12:40
Shadow was cruising along in his powerboat when he came to the Isle of Begile, a place where the natives always lie and the visitors always tell the truth. As Shadow drew near, he saw three men standing on shore.

He shouted: “Are you natives or visitors?” The first man called out, but Shadow had not yet turned his motor off, so he couldn’t hear the reply. Shadow shouted his question again and this time the second man answered saying, “He said he is a visitor and so am I.” Then the third man on the island shouted, “The first two are natives but I’m a visitor.” Shadow knew immediately who was a native and who was a visitor. From their answers, how could he know?

Loki
10-12-2003, 12:44
Language?

J.D.
10-12-2003, 12:50
Well every body is going to claim to be a visitor.
So the first man said he was a visitor, of course.
The second man confirmed this so the second man tells the truth so he is a visitor.
Assuming the second man has correct knowledge the 1st man is also a visitor.
And Natives will always claim that another native is a visitor and that a visitor is a native.
So the 3rd man fits the profile of a native.

investor
10-12-2003, 12:52
I guess that the second one is the native for sure, because probably he also didn't heard the quastiong because of the motor, but (as far as he was the native) he already knew about the shadow and that it will ask this sort of question.

The first one is the visitor.

About the third one I have no idea.

moscowmail
10-12-2003, 12:55
Well done

Shadow deduced that the first two men were visitors and the third was a native. Though we didn’t hear what the first man said, we know he would have said he was a visitor, since natives always lie. The second man accurately reported what the first man said. Therefore, Shadow knew that he was also a visitor. Since the third man’s statement contradicted the other two, Shadow knew he was a native.

moscowmail
10-12-2003, 12:55
Another:

Shadow surveyed the scene. Itzak Gusher, the famous oil tycoon was found shot to death while sitting in his car. Shadow was puzzled by the fact that he couldn’t find a single trace of gunpowder anywhere in the car. This led Shadow to believe that Itzak had been murdered by someone outside the car. The strange part is all the windows and doors were completely closed and locked. The only bullet holes found were on Itzak’s body. Since the car was not damaged, how did the assassin manage to kill him?

J.D.
10-12-2003, 12:56
So, where's my prize?

J.D.
10-12-2003, 13:01
Had Mr Gusher left the top down on his convertible?

J.D.
10-12-2003, 13:02
After being shot he fell onto the switch that raised the window?

allice
10-12-2003, 13:05
Big hugs to you, Len for starting this thread. Now THAT's what I call fun. I will join you guys when I get some stuff off my desk. :)

DaveUKagain
10-12-2003, 13:16
This one`s logically solveable....

Summertime, Kansas, hottest day of the year. There`s a dead man hanging by the neck from a rope thrown over a beam in a barn. His feet are one metre from the ground. The barn is totally empty, no furnishings of any kind. The door is locked from the inside, the key is in the mans` pocket.

What is the sign on the van outside ? ;-)))))))

- you`ll either get it straight away or never at all. ;-)))))

moscowmail
10-12-2003, 13:33
JD, right again....

How about this one:

Four men sat down to play,
They played all night till break of day.

They played for gold and not for fun

With separate scores for everyone.

When they came to square accounts,

They all had made quite fair amounts.

Can you the paradox explain,

If no one lost, how all could gain?

Loki
10-12-2003, 13:38
Originally posted by DaveUKagain
This one`s logically solveable....

Summertime, Kansas, hottest day of the year. There`s a dead man hanging by the neck from a rope thrown over a beam in a barn. His feet are one metre from the ground. The barn is totally empty, no furnishings of any kind. The door is locked from the inside, the key is in the mans` pocket.

What is the sign on the van outside ? ;-)))))))

- you`ll either get it straight away or never at all. ;-)))))

Ice delivered?

rosieredwood
10-12-2003, 13:57
Originally posted by moscowmail
JD, right again....

How about this one:

Four men sat down to play,
They played all night till break of day.

They played for gold and not for fun

With separate scores for everyone.

When they came to square accounts,

They all had made quite fair amounts.

Can you the paradox explain,

If no one lost, how all could gain?

NO

moscowmail
10-12-2003, 14:02
Oldy Loki ;)

Guys, come on this is an easy one :)

rosieredwood
10-12-2003, 14:09
NO

DJ Biscuit
10-12-2003, 14:37
They palyed music for money? Musicians?

moscowmail
10-12-2003, 15:04
Well done DJ....

Another??>>>>.... Ok

The bridge was covered with a fresh blanket of snow. Only one set of footprints led to the body lying in the middle of the bridge. Shadow knew from the one set of footprints that this was a suicide, yet he couldn’t find any evidence of the weapon used. Shadow discovered powder burns on the dead woman’s chest and a small chip out of the railing where the snow had been brushed away. The dead woman’s footprints were all around this area. The only other clue was that 30 feet down, and directly below the chip of paint on the railing, was a hole in the ice. How did the woman manage to kill herself instantly and still dispose of the weapon?

rosieredwood
10-12-2003, 15:13
...she'd hired a sniper to shoot her from afar and held a rock in her hand over the water off the bridge, releasing the rock when she was shot.

And what's with all this gunpowder stuff? What kind of fire arms are they using - ball-and-gunpowder muskets from 1812?

PS and it's THE Shadow, as in "who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? The Shadow knows! AHAHAHAHAHA...

J.D.
10-12-2003, 15:23
Saw that one in an old movie, Sherlock Holmes I think.

She shot herself. The had a string tied to it. A weight was tied to the other end and was hung over the rail above the water. She shot herself, let go of the gun and the weight pulled it to the river chipping the hand rail on the way.

moscowmail
10-12-2003, 15:33
Far to clever....

It’s a strange case, thought Shadow. The autopsy revealed that Dr. Probe had died from cyanide poisoning. The limp body was found lying beside the gas barbecue which was still hot. The autopsy also revealed that Dr Probe had just finished eating two hot dogs, a bag of potato chips and some cherries. After a thorough search of the area, the police recovered a suicide note, the pen Dr Probe used to write it, a book of matches, an old coin, an empty potato chip bag and a package of hot dogs and buns. Since nothing else was discovered, Shadow was certain that Dr. Probe was murdered elsewhere and his body moved to the suicide scene. Why?

rosieredwood
10-12-2003, 15:34
the sniper's bullet from the grassy knoll ricocheted off the rail, hit its intended target in the chest, continued up her esophagus and out her mouth (thus avoiding exiting detection), the bullet then caught a gust of wind, causing it to dive sharply at a 90 degree angle toward the ice and crash through, causing the hole.

Then Oliver Stone came along and claimed it was Cuban dissidents, J. Edgar Hoover, La Cosa Nostra and assorted contributors to the Expat.ru site.

rosieredwood
10-12-2003, 15:37
what brand of potato chips (you do mean American chips and not "fish-n-chips" chips, right?)? Lays, Doritos, Pringles, Estrella...

happy happy joy joy
10-12-2003, 16:05
moscowmail, perhaps there were no cherry stones there, and no stones were discovered in the stomach?

happy happy joy joy
10-12-2003, 16:09
two friends arrived to a river. There was a boat at the bank which could deliver one person only. Nevertheless both friends manage to pass to the other side. How?

moscowmail
10-12-2003, 16:29
A bridge!!!!

A man was found assassinated in his 51st Floor hotel room, which had been locked from within by the dead bolt. He was slouched in a chair in front of one of the windows in the room. The carpet below the window drapes was damp. The only sound in the room was the steady drone of the air conditioner. A bullet had entered the back of his head and was lodged in the base of his skull. It was determined he was shot and killed exactly where he sat, and that the bullet had been fired from well over 30 metres away. The man had been dead for several hours. Since the windows had been locked from within, and the glass unbroken, how was the assassination carried out?

A little more difficult :)

DJ Biscuit
10-12-2003, 16:52
Originally posted by happy happy joy joy
two friends arrived to a river. There was a boat at the bank which could deliver one person only. Nevertheless both friends manage to pass to the other side. How?

One of them swam?!?

happy happy joy joy
10-12-2003, 16:53
who did that? and how? i'm at lost

happy happy joy joy
10-12-2003, 16:55
DJ, nope, all of them used the boat

DJ Biscuit
10-12-2003, 16:59
They tied a rope to the boat as long as the river is wide , one went across and when he arrived on the other bank the second one pulled the boat back to himself and then crossed the river in the boat too?

happy happy joy joy
10-12-2003, 17:01
nope! bare boat, nothing else

rosieredwood
10-12-2003, 17:01
real bad...they were tearing the sphincter muscle out of him...he phoned an optician at 48 East Second Street in NYC. What did he tell the doctor he was bringing with him?

sfjohns67
10-12-2003, 17:09
Eye of brown round?

rosieredwood
10-12-2003, 17:15
All his shoes and glasses, just so he'd have 'em!!! Jerky!!!

happy happy joy joy
10-12-2003, 17:18
something to contract the sphiktor of the pupil?

rosieredwood
10-12-2003, 17:20
Jerky!!! I'll come over der' and run ratchets around you F****' guys!!! Just get me a "pile driver" and I'll be fine, ok Jerky!!!!

Braders
10-12-2003, 19:26
Originally posted by moscowmail
A man was found assassinated in his 51st Floor hotel room, which had been locked from within by the dead bolt. He was slouched in a chair in front of one of the windows in the room. The carpet below the window drapes was damp. The only sound in the room was the steady drone of the air conditioner. A bullet had entered the back of his head and was lodged in the base of his skull. It was determined he was shot and killed exactly where he sat, and that the bullet had been fired from well over 30 metres away. The man had been dead for several hours. Since the windows had been locked from within, and the glass unbroken, how was the assassination carried out?

The window had been wedged open with a very large piece of ice (in several hours it would melt) The man was shot from a another building. When the ice melted the window closed itself ;)

Braders
10-12-2003, 19:29
Ivan Kusov left the Metropol Hotel and walked toward the parking lot. Without the benefit of moonlight or any artificial light, he was able to spot his black car 200 metres away. How was this possible?

Pure Logic ;)

DaveUKagain
10-12-2003, 19:32
Some skinheads had set Kusov`s car on fire, Braders ? ;-)))

DPG
10-12-2003, 19:32
All the other cars were white??

It was not actually at night??

Or, if we're talking the Metropol on Teatralniy Proezd, it would be because his car was the only one slap bang in the middle of Red Square or in the other direction on the roof of The Bolshoy!!!;)

Braders
10-12-2003, 19:39
Close Dave, but no Blue Ribbon ;) If they were skinheads they would have set fire to all the cars in the carpark and Ivan could have been 14 Miles away and spotted his.

DPG...spot on,,,, it was Daylight ;)

DaveUKagain
10-12-2003, 19:47
Originally posted by Loki
Ice delivered?

Hat off to that Norse Deity, Loki - well done, mate !!!!! ;-)

That particular one had an entire MENSA crowd stumped for an evening. Mind you, so did the concept of getting a girlfriend or not going trainspotting. ;-))))

I didn`t last long in MENSA. ;-))))

"Ice Delivery" - there is no logical way in which the man could have hung himself without standing on a block of ice in hot weather- no furniture from which to jump off. Therefore the sign on the van outside is, indeed, ice delivery.

Ice comes up a lot in these logic puzzlers, for some reason..... ;-)

DPG
10-12-2003, 19:53
Two hunters Mr. A and Mr. B meet in Mr. A's house.
Mr. B: Oh, what a beautiful carpet you have.
Mr. A: Yeah, it is made of bear's fur.
Mr. B: How did you hunt the bear?
Mr. A: Well, I started from the camp, and went 1 mile to the south, There I saw the bear.
I followed him exactly 1 mile to the east. There I shot him. From this point I returned to the camp, exactly 1 mile to the north.

The question is what is the color of the bear?

DaveUKagain
10-12-2003, 19:55
White. ;-)

DPG
10-12-2003, 19:57
Give that chap a cigar! Nope, he's got one already!

DPG
10-12-2003, 20:03
Another oldie here:

The poor and destitute have me, the rich and prosperous don't.
You can't pick me up but if you eat me you'll die.

What am I?

DPG
10-12-2003, 20:07
This one is quite good though...

You want to send a valuable object to a friend. You have a box which is more than large enough to contain the object. You also have several different locks with keys.

The box has a ring which is more than large enough to have more than one of your locks attached. But, the problem is that your friend does not have the key to any lock that you have.

You cannot send a key in an unlocked box, since it might be copied and you do not send the key seperately, in case it is lost in the mail.

How do you work it out, so the box is never sent unlocked?

lochnessmonster
10-12-2003, 20:53
The bear is multi-coloured?
The second riddle is ten kilos of mcdonal's hamburgers
Finally, close the box with string and some Sellotape.

Easy peasy lemon squeeseey

DPG
10-12-2003, 20:57
He he he!

Unfortunately not entriely accurate on any of them mate!

Wasn't it easy peasy japanesey, wash your hair with.......I know the world's gone PC mad (and that you lived there), but come on!!

lochnessmonster
10-12-2003, 21:08
Is it something like tuberculosis or a disease like that? (The second one, about the poor and the rich?)

DPG
10-12-2003, 21:18
Nope, you're going to have to be more lateral than that mate!

J.D.
10-12-2003, 22:38
The grill was still hot but he had already cooked and eaten the hotdogs so it should have been cold.

J.D.
10-12-2003, 22:41
Polar bears can run 15 mph when chasing their prey. Penguins can run about 1 mph tops. Polar bears can swim 5 mph and penguins can swim 4 mph. How long, on average, will it take a polar bear to catch a penguin?

DPG
10-12-2003, 22:48
4 mins running, 15 swimming or any number up to infinity minus one in the ducathlon depending on discipline split, headstarts, steroid abuse, crooked referees and whether it's on home or away turf!!!!!;)

J.D.
10-12-2003, 22:50
Your last stipulation has some merit.

DPG
10-12-2003, 23:00
The times above are (in my knackered state) my guesses at the places they will cross on an graphed curve.

If however they start at the same spot the penguin is already dead because he doesn't even need to get caught the bear just reaches out and eats the poor little guy! Also depends on how far ahead the penguin is when the bear starts running....

Or they both run for a set period of time during which the bear will race ahead of the penguin...all he must then do is wait and get his cutlery ready and his wine decanted!

J.D.
10-12-2003, 23:07
Well you started off on the right track there but then you got silly.

DPG
10-12-2003, 23:16
...ok.....so the answer is.....??

[preparing to kick myself and groan loudly]

Missionary
11-12-2003, 01:24
Originally posted by DPG
Another oldie here:

The poor and destitute have me, the rich and prosperous don't.
You can't pick me up but if you eat me you'll die.

What am I?

The answer is nothing.

DPG
11-12-2003, 01:40
Correct!!

J.D.
11-12-2003, 07:56
reconsider your thought about whose home turf it is.

moscowmail
11-12-2003, 10:05
Who started this...

I am all confused now...:( :shame: :eek: :confused:

allice
11-12-2003, 11:31
Loki, what is your new avatar supposed to mean? :D Spooooooky. :yikes: :devil: :suspect:

DPG
11-12-2003, 12:34
Originally posted by J.D.
reconsider your thought about whose home turf it is.

Of course! They live in opposite poles to one another - bears in the north, penguins in the south.

It would take forever - or in fact if the pengiun proceeded to swim up one half of the globe and the bear was chasing it down the other half, the answer could be never!???

This must be closer...? [isn't it?]

earl
11-12-2003, 12:43
Originally posted by allice
Loki, what is your new avatar supposed to mean? :D Spooooooky. :yikes: :devil: :suspect:

You kid!

A large hint:

a full tank of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.

Edit: do you live on the reservation or the world state?

-earl-

allice
11-12-2003, 12:53
where's that quote from? :confused:

earl
11-12-2003, 12:55
The Blues Brothers. An American classic. Watch it with Animal House, if you can find them, and mourn the death of Jim Belushi.

So, are you a Huxley fan?

Edit: not Blues Brothers 2000. Don't bother with that crap.

-earl-

allice
11-12-2003, 13:01
re Huxley fan -- not really, just that particular book :)

why, are you?

earl
11-12-2003, 13:04
Yes. I was curious if it was that or perhaps a Russian phrase...

-earl-

allice
11-12-2003, 13:11
Originally posted by earl
Yes. I was curious if it was that or perhaps a Russian phrase...

-earl-

Too dopey for me. :D

Random
11-12-2003, 14:18
Correct me if I am wrong but Loki your new phrase under your avatar should read "Illegitimi Non Carborundum" not "Non Illegitimi Carborundum"

Loki
11-12-2003, 14:24
Pretty sure I'm right here, but maybe not. Latin wasn't my strongest subject at school. Maybe I've written it in American Latin.

earl
11-12-2003, 14:26
Umm, I think so Brain-2, but a show about two talking lab mice? It'll never get on the air!

Random
11-12-2003, 14:34
Your right in the fact it is a pseudo-Latin phrase meaning ..... nah let them all guess. But you are wrong it should be the way I posted it. Earl nice to see somebody else doing some pondering out there .....

Loki
11-12-2003, 14:44
OK I believe you, do you understand the other one?

Random
11-12-2003, 15:00
Yes again in dog latin ...but that coz you are trying to prove your a smarty pants and make anything that you have written in Latin sound good .... :clown:

J.D.
11-12-2003, 15:37
Ok, MoscowMale, give that cigar you owe me to DPG.

Time to up the stakes, and remember MM you started this
so for double or nothin

An archeologist found a coin dated 330 B.C.

What is the estimated value of the coin.

Answers are accepted in dollars, rubles or any other current currency.

Ponyman
11-12-2003, 17:50
22 was a racehorse
11 was 12
2211 race

DPG
11-12-2003, 18:47
JD: That coin is worth absolutely NOTHING mate!!

Whay would the makers have put BC on it if they hadn't even known about the fact that C. would be 'born' (if you believe that) for a futher 330 years!

Now you owe me two cigars...I'll have a Cohiba and a Montecristo!!!

RFlover
11-12-2003, 19:54
What is taken to the FA CUP FINAL every year, but never used ?

J.D.
11-12-2003, 21:04
how far can a dog run into the forest?

Ignia
12-12-2003, 00:32
This one is easy - the dog runs INTO the forest until it reaches the center, then it runs OUT of the forest.

Any more questions?

DaveUKagain
12-12-2003, 02:37
Originally posted by DPG
JD: That coin is worth absolutely NOTHING mate!!

Whay would the makers have put BC on it if they hadn't even known about the fact that C. would be 'born' (if you believe that) for a futher 330 years!

Now you owe me two cigars...I'll have a Cohiba and a Montecristo!!!

Careful they`re not fakes, too - "Hecho a Mehico". ;-)))))))

J.D.
12-12-2003, 07:29
Ok obviously these are too easy. Lets get a bit more serious.

using standard weights and measures,
which weighs more, a pound of feathers or a pound of gold?

sfjohns67
12-12-2003, 08:20
C'mon, I heard that one back in the 5th grade. But thanks for putting up one I can finally answer :D

A pound of gold obviously weighs more than a pound of feathers because gold is metal and feathers are something lighter than gold.

Dammit, where's the "sarcasm" button on this thing?!

Missionary
12-12-2003, 11:42
Ok. There is passenger train going from Houston to Dallas. In one car there are 4 men and 53 Bicycles. One man is dead. How did he die?

RFlover
12-12-2003, 11:44

Isn't anyone going to have a stab at this one ?

lochnessmonster
12-12-2003, 12:06
What's taken to the FA Cup final and never used?
Easy: the referee's BRAIN!! (Either that or the Cup itself)

As for the gold/feathers one, come one sfjohn, that's what they WANT you to think, clearly it's the pound of feathers because you have to take into account the ten pigeons who are on the scales trying to get their feathers back

Finally, on the passenger train, hold on hold on, don't tell me, has this one got something to do with a leprechaun with three toes?

jules
12-12-2003, 14:25
Re: gold and feathers, gold is weighed differently - in Troy ounces which are more than regular ones... So, if 12 Troy ounces make one Troy pound of gold, and 16 regular ounces make one pound of feathers, but to make one regular pound you need (I think) 14 Troy ounces, that means the pound of feathers weighs more. :bookworm:

Re: the train and Bicycles - that's a brand of playing cards - 52 in a standard pack - the dead man had one up his sleeve and was shot for cheating? :p

DPG
12-12-2003, 14:37
Isn't anyone brave enough to tackle my one about sending the package??? [Wail, wimper!!]

sfjohns67
12-12-2003, 14:47
Originally posted by Missionary
Ok. There is passenger train going from Houston to Dallas. In one car there are 4 men and 53 Bicycles. One man is dead. How did he die?
This one is even more obvious...due to an irreversible sense of despair after being stuck in the state of Texas for more than 2 hours straight, he reached ever so deliberately toward the .38 revolver hanging in the leather shoulder holster at his ribcage, lifted it out of its scabbard, thumbed back the double-action hammer, raised that silent, dark barrel to his right temple, then squeezed the trigger and said hello to the long, peaceful sleep of eternity.

Having gone through a couple months of military boot camp in Texas back in 1988, I can empathize all too well with this poor creature's depressive state.

Ha ha, Geo, just kiddin'!

jules
12-12-2003, 14:50
Originally posted by DPG
This one is quite good though...

You want to send a valuable object to a friend. You have a box which is more than large enough to contain the object. You also have several different locks with keys.

The box has a ring which is more than large enough to have more than one of your locks attached. But, the problem is that your friend does not have the key to any lock that you have.

You cannot send a key in an unlocked box, since it might be copied and you do not send the key seperately, in case it is lost in the mail.

How do you work it out, so the box is never sent unlocked?

Um, well, you could put more than one lock through the ring, then put the wrong keys in each lock - they get the box, locked, and the keys too, but in order to unlock the box they'd need to switch around the keys... It wouldn't necessarily prevent anyone from opening the box, but it would confuse them and make it harder to open since they wouldn't know which key went with which lock... Would that work? :confused:

Braders
12-12-2003, 15:40
Originally posted by RFlover

Medals for the losing team, which would have been winners medals had they won?

DPG
12-12-2003, 15:48
Originally posted by jules
Um, well, you could put more than one lock through the ring, then put the wrong keys in each lock - they get the box, locked, and the keys too, but in order to unlock the box they'd need to switch around the keys... It wouldn't necessarily prevent anyone from opening the box, but it would confuse them and make it harder to open since they wouldn't know which key went with which lock... Would that work? :confused:

Unfotunately not, because anyone intercepting the package could simply swap the keys around and steal the contents.....

Keep trying...two locks is along the right track though...

J.D.
12-12-2003, 15:48
A cigar for Jules!!!
Even though your math was off just a bit you got the right Idea.
There are 16 ounces in a pound of feathers and only 12 ounces in a pound of gold. So of course a pound of feathers weighs more.

follow up for you Jules.
Which weighs more, an ounce of feathers or an ounce of gold?

DPG
12-12-2003, 15:52
Originally posted by RFlover

It's the ribbons for the cup in the colours of the losing side - never used because, well that's pretty obvious...!!

DPG
12-12-2003, 16:10
Here's one for those whose English isn't so good or who have a rip-roaring hangover!

I'm the beginning of the end, but not the end of the beginning.
You'll find me twice in a week, once in a year and twice in a decade.
What am I?

Ignia
12-12-2003, 16:35
I'm the beginning of the end, but not the end of the beginning.
You'll find me twice in a week, once in a year and twice in a decade.
What am I?

You are an "E"
lol

DPG
12-12-2003, 16:36
:)

Missionary
12-12-2003, 18:13
Very good Jules.

moscowmail
12-12-2003, 18:17
A beast is unleashed, for goodness sake, there can't be that many questions..... can there?

RFlover
12-12-2003, 18:53
FA CUP compy.....

DPG got it right.

RFlover
12-12-2003, 18:58
If you were in a room with Saddam Hussein, bin Laden and Diego Maradonna, and you had a pistol with two bullets - who would you shoot ?

Answer : put both bullets into Maradonna, just to make sure.

I still hate that little cheating ******* even now....

(and yes I know it's an old one....)

RFlover
12-12-2003, 19:23
Originally posted by lochnessmonster
What's taken to the FA Cup final and never used?
Easy: the referee's BRAIN!! (Either that or the Cup itself)

As for the gold/feathers one, come one sfjohn, that's what they WANT you to think, clearly it's the pound of feathers because you have to take into account the ten pigeons who are on the scales trying to get their feathers back

Finally, on the passenger train, hold on hold on, don't tell me, has this one got something to do with a leprechaun with three toes?

The Ref's brain missing at an FA Cup final ??

Holy **** you should try watching 3rd Division crap like I have to when i'm home.
The ref's are REALLY dreadful.
Every time I go, the most popular chant is "we got another ****ref, we've got another **** ref, ****ref, another ****ref...... etc"
And it's true.

lochnessmonster
12-12-2003, 19:32
come on come on keep 'em coming!! How did that bloody man die from eating 53 bicycles? Half my brain is on overdrive and the other half is on its way to the ref for the FA cup final!

Soooo? how did he die? I've got to go out in a minute, god this is going to make me LATE!!! AAARRGGHH

J.D.
12-12-2003, 20:49
you are freezing and starving in the artic wilderness
you stumble across a cabin
the cabin is cold but it has in it
plenty of frozen food
plenty of frozen water
A kerosine lantern
A fireplace with plenty of wood
a candle
and a propane stove

but you only have one match

Which do you light first?

Wanderer
12-12-2003, 21:36
The match I think.....

Missionary
12-12-2003, 23:04
Lochness,

Jules correctly answered about the Bicycles.

J.D.
13-12-2003, 11:34
There is a circular pasture.
A cow is tethered to the perimeter of the pasture.
The cow can graze on exactly one half of the pasture.
How long is the tether?

Ok folks this one is a 'bit' difficult.
I might have to offer a serious prize for anyone who can figure it out.
One tip for ya, If you feel you have to ask any questions to clarify something then don't waste your time trying to figure it out.

earl
13-12-2003, 12:39
Oooh ooh a prize!

Anyway, the answer depends on how you define half. If you consider the cow to be sitting on the negative x axis at (-x,0) in a cartesian plane with a circle centered at (0,0) defined by the equation x^2 + y^2 = r^2, and consider "half" to be the "left" half of the circle split by y=0, then the tether would need to be as long as the chord from (-x,0) to (0,y), or conveniently, sqrt(2)*r.

Alternatively, if you consider any "half" of the area of the circle, then inscribe a smaller circle into the larger circle in your pasture, and describe a smaller circle of area (pi*r^2)/2, such that the radius of the smaller circle is r/sqrt(2). Given that the cow has to reach this entire smaller circle in order to graze it, and given a diameter is the largest chord of a circle, set the length of the tether to be 2r/sqrt(2).

-earl-

earl
13-12-2003, 13:07
Problem: 100 expats are lined up in a row by an assassin. The assassin puts red and blue hats on them. Each expat cannot see his or her own hat, but he or she can see the hats of the people in front of him or her.

The assassin starts in the back and says "what colour is your hat?" The expat may only answer red or blue. If the expat answers incorrectly, he or she is killed. The assassin then moves on to the next expat. The expats in front get to hear the answer of the expats behind, but not whether they live or die. They can consult and agree on a strategy beforehand, but once lining up and putting the hats on, they cannont communicate in any other way besides those specified.

How many expats can be saved?

Credit to unknown; I got this in an interview...

-earl-

earl
13-12-2003, 13:10
5 pirates have to distribute 100 gold pieces. Label the pirates 5,4,3,2,1. Pirate 5 starts, and can distribute the gold any way he likes. After he distributes the gold, all the pirates vote to keep the gold or kill pirate 5 and start with pirate 4. If there are an even number of pirates, and the number voting yes and no are equal, yes wins. Eg 4,3 vote yes, 2,1 vote no, the answer is yes.

What is the maximum amount of money that pirate #5 can keep? If he will always be killed, decide who gets the money.

Assume all pirates act in their best self - interest.

-earl-

J.D.
13-12-2003, 18:26
nice try earl
like they say "if you can't dazzle em with brilliance
baffle them with bullshit"
unfortunately none of your not so complex diversions
adhere to the very simple physical constraints put forth

try drawing a picture

J.D.
13-12-2003, 18:32
so if a pirate votes yes is he voting to keep the gold or to kill the pirate.
Earl I don't think you were very careful when you copied this out of your puzzle book.

lochnessmonster
13-12-2003, 18:45
hold on, hold ON! I got these last two problems in a marketing interview once. I mean, the less pirated there are all round, the more DOSH there is for mem right? Needless to say, I didn't get any of those jobs (SHAAAAAME), but I AM in Moscow (Hurrah!!)

Can I just point out that it's RATHER UNFAIR that SOME PEOPLe can resort to 'pi' and 'cartesian planes' to answer these obviously quite simple problems. I vote that higher physics be banned from problem solving until Monday morning, when I am a leetle more sober...

I FINK therefore I AM

lochnessmonster
13-12-2003, 18:47
Oh, and by the way, if that log cabin in the 'arctic wilderness' is anything like my apartment in central Moscow, then I would probably pour kerosene all over the place and toss the match right onto it. Throw on a couple of penguins for good measure (or is that the wrong continent?)

earl
13-12-2003, 18:51
re: pirates: Sorry, I wrote both of these from memory. Yes = keep the current distribution of money. At each round in the game, the highest numbered pirate distributes gold. Then they all vote yes if he lives (and they keep the vold) or no if they kill him and start over with 1 fewer pirate.

eg,
You have pirates 5,4,3,2,1 voting.
Pirate 5 distributed the gold, giving 80 pieces to himself and 20 to pirate 4. The pirates then vote: YYNNN, meaning the pirates kill 5 and the situation starts over with the 4 remaining pirates. Pirate #4 gives 20 pieces to 3, 20 pieces to 2, and 20 pieces to 1, leaving himself with 40 pieces. The pirates then vote YYNN, and pirate 4 lives so we stop. Clear?

-earl-

Ignia
13-12-2003, 19:33
There are 4 corners in a room. There is a cat in every corner of the room. Every cat sees three more from it's place, and every cat's got one cat on it's tail. How many cats are there in a room?

lochnessmonster
13-12-2003, 19:52
none, because there's a ROTTWEILER in the middle of the room!

Ignia
13-12-2003, 20:02
Originally posted by lochnessmonster
none, because there's a ROTTWEILER in the middle of the room!

Nooo :)

J.D.
14-12-2003, 04:18
that'd be four cats total in a room small enough that each cat's tail can reach the next corner, or they have very long tails. I suppose that it could be four large cat's with very small cats hidden behind them sitting on their tail but then you would then need another set of small cats to sit on their tails and another set for their tails etc. etc. ad infinitum

Missionary
14-12-2003, 06:04
Or perhaps it has something to do with mirrors.

geneven
14-12-2003, 06:30
In a part of Russia where room rents are quite low, a man went to rent a room for three nights. He was charged $30.

After he got settled, a knock came on the door. It was the clerk, a very honest lady, who told him she had forgotten, but the rooms were only $25, because there was a three-day special.

She gave him $5 back, and he tipped her $2 for being so honest.

That of course means that he spent $27 for the room, the $30 minus the $3 that he kept of the money she brought back.

$27 for the room + $2 tip = $29.

What happened to the extra dollar?

J.D.
14-12-2003, 07:34

$27 includes the room and the tip. The above formula counts the tip twice and does not include the $5 returned to him.

geneven
14-12-2003, 14:22
Ok, that was good.

A student wrote home for money, as students often do, but his father was skeptical about the value of his education. So he gave him the following as a test:

SEND
+MORE
---------
MONEY

This is a normal sum in addition. Each letter represents a unique digit between 0-9; in other words, you know that S isn't the same as E, and so on.

To get you started, notice that you have two four-digit numbers that added together give a five-digit number. You know that the biggest that S or M could be would be 9, and if you added them together you would get at highest a number starting with 1 in the lefthand column, such as 17. So, you know that the M in MONEY is a 1.

To satisfy the dad, you need to solve for all the digits.

Ignia
14-12-2003, 20:12
Ok I'll give you a hint... Look at this cat.

J.D. gave correct answer by the way...but on wrong grounds.

Wanderer
15-12-2003, 01:17
JD can we have trhe answer to the cow in the circular paddock please ?

Missionary
15-12-2003, 07:46
Also, what is the answer to the box and locks?

J.D.
15-12-2003, 08:07
what do you mean for the wrong reason, Ignia? Were you there? I considered that the cats were sitting on their own tail but that was too much like saying if a cat has a tail on him then the tail has a cat on him. I also considered that the tails had been cut off the cats were therefore easily placed anywhere you want. I even considered that your butt can be called a tail and they were just plain sitting. I contend that my answer is superior.

As to the cow perhaps this is not a fair question because there is not a 'trick' to it. It is merely a rather involved mathematical process. Obviously the answer is greater than r and less than D. It comes close to 1.2r. I usually reserve this problem for pompus know it alls who think they are so smart. If anyone is really interested I can show them the multitude of steps that is necessary to solve it.

DPG
15-12-2003, 14:25
Originally posted by Missionary
Also, what is the answer to the box and locks?

I'm a tad dissappointed that no-one had a good stab at this one so to speak, but the answer is:

-The sender fits one padlock to the clasp and keeps the key, they send it to the recipient.

-Upon receiving the box, the recipient fixes another lock (of their own), keeps the key and sends it back to the original sender.

-The original sender removes his lock and sends it once again (but still perfectly secure because of the locked 2nd lock) to the recipient, who opens it without any problem due to having the only key.

I didn't manage it the first time someone asked me either!!!

Intourist
15-12-2003, 14:38
Originally posted by geneven
In a part of Russia where room rents are quite low, a man went to rent a room for three nights. He was charged $30.

After he got settled, a knock came on the door. It was the clerk, a very honest lady, who told him she had forgotten, but the rooms were only $25, because there was a three-day special.

She gave him $5 back, and he tipped her $2 for being so honest.

That of course means that he spent $27 for the room, the $30 minus the $3 that he kept of the money she brought back.

What happened to the extra dollar?

Actually, Geneven, with all due respect, you fudged the question a little. This is how I've heard it. NOW tell me where that extra dollar is:

"Three people check into a hotel. They pay $30 to the manager and go to their room. The manager finds out that the room rate is $25 and gives $5 to the bellboy to return. On the way to the room the bellboy reasons that $5 would be difficult to share among three people so he pockets $2 and gives $1 to each person.

Now each person paid $10 and got back $1. So they paid $9 each, totalling $27. The bellboy has $2, totalling $29.

Where is the remaining dollar? "

earl
15-12-2003, 14:43
As to the cow perhaps this is not a fair question because there is not a 'trick' to it. It is merely a rather involved mathematical process. Obviously the answer is greater than r and less than D. It comes close to 1.2r. I usually reserve this problem for pompus know it alls who think they are so smart. If anyone is really interested I can show them the multitude of steps that is necessary to solve it.

Don't post it yet... I think I'm close to the answer but finals are stealing all my time.

-earl-

J.D.
15-12-2003, 16:45
Bad presentation DPG. You made no mention of the receiver having his own locks. If we are allowed to assume that then we would be allowed to assume any number of possibilities.

as to the extra dollar, each paid $9 totalling $27 which includes the $2 that the bellboy stole.
$27 they paid plus the $2 the bellboy stole counts the $2 twice.

Intourist
15-12-2003, 17:01
Yeah, you got it, JD, and your answer to the first question is in essence still correct to my re-phrasing of it. Another way of looking at it, is that they didn't each pay 9 dollars. If the room actually cost $25, then each man's share was in fact 8.33. Add on to that the one dollar each man received back, and you have $28, (8.33 x 3 = 25 +3 = 28). Add the $2 pocketed dollars by the bellboy, and you have $30.

What they paid was $25, not $27. $25+2+3 = $30.

DPG
15-12-2003, 17:13
Bad presentation DPG. You made no mention of the receiver having his own locks.

<<<But, the problem is that your friend does not have the key to any lock that you have>>>

The information was there!!

J.D.
15-12-2003, 17:25
one could assume with equal validity that the answer to not having a key to 'one of his' locks is to use a hack saw, in reality probably a much more common solution. IF perhaps you had emphasized 'his', one of HIS locks, well then maybe

DPG
15-12-2003, 17:28
Hmmm, next time I'll edit it to include the phrase "neither party has access to a toolbox nor tools of any kind!!!".

Cheers

J.D.
15-12-2003, 17:34
better yet, each party only has keys to their own locks
If you want to list the things they do not have access to it will be quite a long list.

DPG
15-12-2003, 17:37
<<<each party only has keys to their own locks>>>

but if that were to be put in, it doesn't require the reader to make the logical jump and come to the conclusion/assumption that the receiver is also in possession of some locks...it would make the whole enterprise far too straightforward.

J.D.
15-12-2003, 17:39
you only think so because you already know the answer.
with out it, it leaves it open for 'logical' jumps to anywhere.

DPG
15-12-2003, 17:44
<<<with out it, it leaves it open for 'logical' jumps to anywhere>>>

That being the entire point of riddles if I'm not mistaken?? Most have only one or at a maximum very few plausible answers which agree to the constraints layed down within them.

It's whittling them down to the correct one which is the challenge, not thinking of the jumps themselves.

Missionary
15-12-2003, 18:38
Why is it "more" logical to "assume" that your friend has his own locks and keys than it is to assume that he might break the box or open it by some other non-conventional means?

I agree with JD. This riddle, as written, could not be whittled down to "one" logical answer.

DPG
15-12-2003, 19:01
That's like with JD's riddle about the Polar Bear and the penguin saying that the Bear can catch him in no time at all if he travels by Tornado bomber and speedboat...

Ok, the next version will say that the box is highly ornamental and valuable, as is the sender's lock which was cast from the finest (toughened, sawproof and bulletproof) platinum.

Both the sender and recipient are sufferers of some wasting disease and do not possess the energy to break the locks, they also have no access to either tools to do so nor to people who may do so in their place.

The box will not rust, corrode or erode in any way regardless of which agent is used in order to try.

The contents whilst being priceless is also extremely fragile so any attempt to throw the box off a cliff etc will end in certain breakage and definite disaster for the recipient, who seeing as his whole life depends on the contents will end up destitute and starving on the streets with hs family living in a cardbox box under a bridge.

All this and more could be included but it does rather make the whole enterprise lose it's fun don't you think??!!

Missionary
15-12-2003, 21:52
If the contents are so fragile, why is he shipping it at all? Shouldn't something so fragile and valuable be hand delivered?

J.D.
16-12-2003, 08:35
Once you realize the polar bear and penguine live at opposite sides of the earth it is obvious that the answer is 'The question is absurd for a logical reason.' and then you state the logical reason
same as "where do you bury the survivors?" The question is absurd because you don't bury survivors, roosters don't lay eggs, the $2 tip was counted twice.

riddles like jokes are very dependant on the delivery. Yes certain constraints have to be either stated, strongly implied or universally accepted. There are a great many reasonable solutions to your puzzle as stated. It would one third quicker if the recipient mailed an open padlock to the sender and then he sent the box after snapping this padlock onto it. One could trace the outline of the key onto a piece of paper and then fax it. You could send the code for the key via internet and then the receiver could take that to a locksmith and have a key made. You could drive the key there in person, on and on and on.

A well thought out delivery is concise and constrained.

Petite
16-12-2003, 11:24
I think, that three men were natives, because they were together on the shore. But its difficult for truth and lie to be together.........
And Shadow is visitor.

But really, what is the right answer?

jules
19-12-2003, 13:15
A cigar for Jules!!!
Even though your math was off just a bit you got the right Idea.
There are 16 ounces in a pound of feathers and only 12 ounces in a pound of gold. So of course a pound of feathers weighs more.

follow up for you Jules.
Which weighs more, an ounce of feathers or an ounce of gold?

A Troy ounce of gold is heavier than a regular ounce of feathers - but is a heck of a lot smaller! :D

I don't smoke cigars, but I'll take a Kewpie doll if you've got one... ;)

jules
19-12-2003, 13:30
Originally posted by geneven
Ok, that was good.

A student wrote home for money, as students often do, but his father was skeptical about the value of his education. So he gave him the following as a test:

SEND
+MORE
---------
MONEY

This is a normal sum in addition. Each letter represents a unique digit between 0-9; in other words, you know that S isn't the same as E, and so on.

To get you started, notice that you have two four-digit numbers that added together give a five-digit number. You know that the biggest that S or M could be would be 9, and if you added them together you would get at highest a number starting with 1 in the lefthand column, such as 17. So, you know that the M in MONEY is a 1.

To satisfy the dad, you need to solve for all the digits.

+1085

S=9, E=5, N=6, D=7, M=1, O=0, R=8, Y=2

:D I love this kind of puzzle... :) :bookworm:

J.D.
19-12-2003, 16:13
congrat again Jules. I owe you a cupiee (sp?) doll

How'd you know that anyway?
When I was a kid my dad used to ask me about lead and feathers.
As an adult I had modified it and came back with the golden version. He had quite the smug look on his face when I asked , I guess he figured that I had forgotten that he asked the same thing 10 or 15 years earlier. Well it was one of the few times I was able to stump him.

I love asking this one because people are always so sure of their wrong answers. I think you are the first person to get it right.

jules
19-12-2003, 17:31
Thanks, JD - as for how I knew, back in grade 4 my teacher told us about Troy ounces vs regular ounces, and the idea of it just sort of stuck in my head - along with the fact that all apple blossoms have petals in a multiple of five, and assorted other useless facts. :)

I can remember all these silly bits of trivia, but can't remember names unless I've seen them written down - the brain's a funny thing... :confused: :D

J.D.
19-12-2003, 21:07
an interesting thing this multiple of 5 thing in nature. are you familiar with it or only with the apple blossoms?

DPG
19-12-2003, 22:13
Isn't it related to the Fibonacci series?! If I remember correctly, petals, the leaves around stems of plants as well as the number of 'scales' on a pine cone are always part of the series...

J.D.
19-12-2003, 23:31
DPG, you're looking more like a nerd all the time. Yes the Fibonacci series. But unfortunately You can't say 'always' as its not as consitant as mathematicians would like for it to be but it is is common enough to be rather interesting.

DPG
20-12-2003, 00:27
But unfortunately You can't say 'always' as its not as consitant as mathematicians would like for it to be but it is is common enough to be rather interesting.

And I'm the nerd!!??

Shall we talk golden ratio??!!;)

J.D.
20-12-2003, 08:50
And I'm the nerd!!??

Like they say 'It takes one ot know one.

As to the golden ratio, I find the history of it much more interesting than the mathematics of it.

DPG
20-12-2003, 14:33
Nice to meet a fellow nerd in that case!!;)

Me too - in fact most things of a similar ilk have far more interesting histories than the mathematics of them...IMO nothing can touch Fermats Last Theorem in this respect...the fact not withstanding that there are only about 12 people in the world who actually understand the mathematics of it!!!;)

Have you seen the movie Pi by the way? - full of this kind of stuff!

J.D.
21-12-2003, 13:51
Haven't seen Pi but I guess I will have to if its full of this kind of stuff.

Here's one that is seemingly simple at first but is seemingly hard when you try to explain it. In fact it is quite simple but you will have to overcome a very fundamental dogma in order to see it. Some people are so grounded in this dogma that they can't see it even when it is explained to them.

"Why is your reflection reversed from left to right but not from top to bottom?"

Leo
21-12-2003, 15:03
A reflection is not reversed from left to right, it's reversed (by the nature of reflection) from front to back - which doesn't affect the positions of top and bottom, but it affects left-right dimension (because left and right can only be defined after the back-front dimensions are established. Trees have top and bottom but no left and right because they have no back and front).

The left side of your image is on your left side, and the right side of your image is on your right side. We only think the mirror reverses right and left because we'd have to turn around to face the way our image faces.

J.D.
21-12-2003, 21:19
Nice try But . . .

your explanation of a front to back reversal is at best an added dimension of the effect of reflection. "front to back" is actaully ambiguous here as well as misleading. Yes it appears to reverse the direction but 'front to back?' The mirror only sees your front, or your back, and does not switch the two.

So I might rephrase the question adding your 'front to back' aspect; Why does a mirror reverse an image from left to right and from front to back but not from up to down?

Leo
21-12-2003, 23:36
What a confusing and smoke-and-mirrors kind of remark:-)) Honestly, I didn't understand what you said.

So I was ambiguous and misleading?

OK, here's a simple version: if you hold the mirror in front of you - then you FRONT and BACK will be reversed (and respectively, your left and right - because as I already explained, they are interdependent). If you hold the mirror on top of you - then your TOP and BOTTOM will be reversed (remember, how when mirrors are on the ceiling, you see everybody upside down?).

Again, this is because of the nature of reflecrion: redirecting the rays of light by 360". So whatever is on the line between your eyes and the mirror gets reversed. If you look horizontally, then it's your front and back that are on the line of view - and they will get reversed, while when you look at the mirror vertically (if it's above or below you), then it's you up and down that is on this line - and then it's them that will get reversed.

Just one more thing to explain why we tend to presume that mirror EXCLUSIVELY reverses front/back (and therefore left/right), but can't also reverse top and bottom. We humans have eyes on our "front", so we are used to looking in the mirror placed in front of us - which reverses front and back. If we had eyes on the top of our head, then we would normally place mirrors on top of us and would be instead used to seeing our reflection reversed upside down.

It's not "what the mirror always reverses" - like it's presumed in your "fundamental question", it's what we see most of the time because of our anatomy (eyes in front), while a mirror in itself can reverse whichever way.

Looking forward to your own explanation that you said is quite simple.

Ignia
21-12-2003, 23:38
"Why is your reflection reversed from left to right but not from top to bottom?"

IS any reflection reversed from left to right?

Leo
21-12-2003, 23:46
Originally posted by Ignia
IS any reflection reversed from left to right?

:D :D

Your native language is not English, right?:-))

Ignia
21-12-2003, 23:52
No it's not English. My native language is Russian and my English is far from a perfection :(

Leo
22-12-2003, 00:25
Reversing from left to right in reflection means that if you wear a ring on your right hand, your reflection will wear it on its left hand.

Ignia
22-12-2003, 00:39
Well this is obvious enough but I was thinking about reflection moving its right hand when I move my left...

Leo
22-12-2003, 01:34
Yes, that's exactly what your reflection will be doing: moving its right hand when you move your left, and this is also obvious enough:-) Try to say it in Russian what your problem is, or PM me if you prefer. This is very sweet of you to join in this discussion:-)

J.D.
22-12-2003, 06:53
Hmmm . . . not sure where to start with your answer Leo.
I guess for starters anything rotated 360 degrees wouuld not show any change. Perhaps you meant 180 degrees.

You start to come close with the idea that "If we had eyes on the top of our head . . .mirrors on the ceiling . . ." but consider that when we look at a mirror on the ceiling we still perceive our image as being reversed from left to right, i.e. the image is wearing his ring on the opposite hand. And after a few moments you will not see the refection as people walking on the ceiling but as if you are looking down at them.

Also consider that when you lay on your left side your image is laying on his right side. Your left side is on the floor and right side is up. 'His' left side is down and 'his' right side is up.

Leo
22-12-2003, 12:19
180 or 360 or whatever - I didn't pay attention because it's absolutely clear anyway what happens to the reflecting light isn't it? And if (for some reason??) you want to be precise about degrees then you must have mentioned that 180" is only true in ONE case: when the mirrow plane is perpendicular to your line of view, while for ALL the other positions the angle is different:-) (Remember what happens to balls when you play pool?:-)

I never stated that with the mirror on the ceiling left and right are not also reversed (and I also know what happens when you lie on your side:-). I simply answered your question "Why does a mirror reverse an image from left to right and from front to back but not from up to down?" It DOES reverse from up and down as well.

You keep changing your question (btw do you know what it means in a discussion?), but at least in the past you cared to formulate them. Could you put your last question in words?

My only question to you stays the same: looking forward to your own explanation that you said is quite simple. Or is it more comfortable for you to keep my eyes blind, and to appropriate an unlimited and exclusive right to criticize your opponent?:-)

J.D.
22-12-2003, 13:31
If I may quote you Leo

Your native language is not English, right?:-))

I won't bother answering your bit about angles because either you have very little concept of plane geometry or 'English is not your native language'. Either way it seems I would be wasting my time.

I never stated that with the mirror on the ceiling left and right are not also reversed (and I also know what happens when you lie on your side:-). I simply answered your question "Why does a mirror reverse an image from left to right and from front to back but not from up to down?" It DOES reverse from up and down as well.

Yes you did answer my question but you did so incorrectly and now you seem to conterdict your previous answer but not so as to make it right.

Anyway I will let the question stand for a bit for others who may wish to have a go at it.

Leo
22-12-2003, 14:30
You were the first to start arguing about an insignificant issue: angles (just to prove me wrong in SOMETHING if you can't do it on the principal issue) so it's only fair that you were the one to stop this part of the discussion:-)

No I don't contradict myself. With your obvious love to quotes if it was only possible to quote my two CONTRADICTING statements, then you would definitely have done so:-)

If you want anybody to have a go at your question you should change it because I proved that it's wrong to simply say "the reflection is not reversed from top to bottom". It's reversed exactly this way if you hold the mirror above you. I even know what would be the correct way to ask what you are trying, but I will let it stand for a bit in case you may wish to have a go at it:-)

The way you have it now is too discouraging. How can you expect to even make people interested - not to mention to get logical replies - if the issue is intricate AND the way you ask about it is not precise?

moscowmail
22-12-2003, 15:09
This is supposed ot be a fun sorta thread guys :) be nice eh :p

Leo
22-12-2003, 16:16
Exactly, it's all about fun so let's ask our questions in such a way that it was possible to answer them, otherwise why to even start:-))

("never reversed from top to bottom hah?")

And while we are on the subject - let's never say "I won't bother answering you". There's Bardak if one wants to be rude.