PDA

View Full Version : help a football fan if you can

peppermintpaddy
11-03-2012, 03:55
Hi there,im a newbie to the forum,and ive had a look thru the sports section but can't find what i'm looking for.
I plan to come to Moscow in June,initially for 10 days,and I would love to go to a football match while Im here.Ive never been to Moscow before,so have very little idea of the geography or the location of the grounds.
Im not really bothered which team I watch,but ideally a Moscow "derby" match would be just ideal....I plan also to make a pilgrimage to the Eduard Strelsov stadium,and to visit the 2(?) statues to him in Moscow.I understand the former Moscow Torpedo/FCMoscow team Strelsov once played for are now in the 3rd division?There is very little usefull information on the internet on the subject.
So,can anybody offer any suggestions for attending a match in Moscow.Which grounds are within easy reach of metro stations for example,ticket prices,fixture lists, etc...thanx for any help given.....

Dino
11-03-2012, 06:31
The easiest will be to watch a Locomotive Moscow match.....the stadium is magnificent and is situated at Metro Cherkizovo....walk is 2 minutes from Metro.

Regards

Dino

Matt24
11-03-2012, 08:07
I think you'll out of luck, the season will be finished by June, the European Championships start during the first week of June this year

andymackem
11-03-2012, 12:10
Like Matt says, there's unlikely to be much football going on in June because of the Euros.

As for your other queries, the history of Torpedo and FK Moskva got pretty complicated. But the simple answer is that Torpedo is now back playing at the Streltsov stadium on Vostochnaya Ulitsa (m. Avtozavodskaya), in the National Football League (second tier). You can get more about them (in Russian, although I think there is an English version) at www.torpedo.ru. FK Moskva went bankrupt a couple of years ago: if they still exist it will be in some amateur league.

As Dino said, Loko is easy to get to. Spartak's games at Luzhniki (m. Sportivnaya) are also easy enough to find. Dynamo and CSKA currently play most home games at Arena Khimki, which is a bit of a pain to reach. You can take a train to Khimki from Leningradsky Vokzal (m. Komsomolskaya). That takes about 30 mins, with a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium. Alternatively take the metro to Rechnoi Vokzal and look for a bus to Khimki from there (no real time saving, and traffic on that road is notoriously bad). Arena Khimki is a nice stadium, but in the wrong place.

Fixture info is readily available at www.rfpl.org (again in Russian, but google translate should help). Tickets aren't too expensive for most games - in the 'ultra' sectors you might get away with 200 rubles (less than five quid); I don't remember paying more than about 750 rubles for a ticket to any game here (including internationals, European ties etc).

peppermintpaddy
11-03-2012, 15:54
Like Matt says, there's unlikely to be much football going on in June because of the Euros.

As for your other queries, the history of Torpedo and FK Moskva got pretty complicated. But the simple answer is that Torpedo is now back playing at the Streltsov stadium on Vostochnaya Ulitsa (m. Avtozavodskaya), in the National Football League (second tier). You can get more about them (in Russian, although I think there is an English version)

As Dino said, Loko is easy to get to. Spartak's games at Luzhniki (m. Sportivnaya) are also easy enough to find. Dynamo and CSKA currently play most home games at Arena Khimki, which is a bit of a pain to reach. You can take a train to Khimki from Leningradsky Vokzal (m. Komsomolskaya). That takes about 30 mins, with a 10-15 minute walk to the stadium. Alternatively take the metro to Rechnoi Vokzal and look for a bus to Khimki from there (no real time saving, and traffic on that road is notoriously bad). Arena Khimki is a nice stadium, but in the wrong place.

Fixture info is readily available,(again in Russian, but google translate should help). Tickets aren't too expensive for most games - in the 'ultra' sectors you might get away with 200 rubles (less than five quid); I don't remember paying more than about 750 rubles for a ticket to any game here (including internationals, European ties etc).

Thanx for all your replies...damn,i'd forgotten about the euro championships this year.I knew the Russian leagues started and finished at different times than that in the UK,so I was hoping to catch a game while I was there.I might just go and visit Loko Moscow and check out the ground,maybe get a stadium tour (if they do one)I know ,I know,I'm a sad b*****d,but I do love all things footie.The link you posted doesnt work for me,never mind,some great info on here.
Its a great forum ,thanx for your help......

FatAndy
11-03-2012, 17:30
Which link?
http://eng.rfpl.org/ - try this
http://www.torpedo.ru/english.phtml - and this

IGIT
14-03-2012, 18:03
June? Oh man the season will probably be over by then.

peppermintpaddy
14-03-2012, 19:08
Which link?
http://eng.rfpl.org/ - try this
http://www.torpedo.ru/english.phtml - and this

Thanx Andy,they worked for me eventually.....I liked the Torpedo website,nice collection of fans' fotos from around the world...
....yeah,it looks like i won't be watching any russian premier league in june...

FatAndy
14-03-2012, 19:33
Thanx Andy,they worked for me eventually.....I liked the Torpedo website,nice collection of fans' fotos from around the world...
....yeah,it looks like i won't be watching any russian premier league in june...

I can't help more, I'm not the football fan. Though, if you're not only football but also beer fan (our local fans are ;)), there will be beer festival in Moscow 8-10 Jun
http://www.beer-festival.ru/
It is Krokus Expo center (m. Myakinino, navy blue line, WNW). Physically it is outside Moscow, but very close to.

Judge
14-03-2012, 23:11
Thanx for all your replies...damn,i'd forgotten about the euro championships this year.I knew the Russian leagues started and finished at different times than that in the UK,so I was hoping to catch a game while I was there.I might just go and visit Loko Moscow and check out the ground,maybe get a stadium tour (if they do one)I know ,I know,I'm a sad b*****d,but I do love all things footie.The link you posted doesnt work for me,never mind,some great info on here.
Its a great forum ,thanx for your help......

Not sure if they do tours of grounds here, but worth checking...
It's not sad at all, something to fill in the time, I did the tour of the Amsterdam Arena(break from the coffee shops:bong:)
When we went down to the pitch, no other than Jari Litmanen was jogging around the pitch.