PDA

View Full Version : Higher taxes on junkfood and Coke?

Benedikt
07-03-2012, 07:52
-Higher taxes on soft drinks like coke and any kind of Junk food - this would be,in the eyes of of UN experts the right way for overcoming the injurious eating habits widespread in rich states.
At the same time it must be made impossible to the agrarian industry to write off/ tax deduct the costs for massive advertising campaigns and marketing of fat, ready food rich in salt, fat and in sugar.-

original from www.krone.at

well if they do that FEW -western- countries will have a budget deficit....

Sparafucile
07-03-2012, 08:10
in the eyes of of UN experts that's the clue

It's like writing "the Moon is made of blue cheese in the eyes of UN experts'

;)

Ildy
07-03-2012, 08:19
I am from Hungary and it was already introduced there...

Steph
07-03-2012, 16:54

Can you tell us more about it, Ildy? Like how much is the tax and on what foods? Is i changing people's eating habits, are they getting healthier? Are there healthy foods available or are they still too expensive?

I think I support this kind of initiative, because how often do we pick the cheapest item, even though we would like to eat healthier? For me this is quite often...

Benedikt
07-03-2012, 17:15

in the morning i was listening to the (Austrian) news and the anchor said they had it in Belgium, for some parts, i think it was soft drinks and another European country which i did not hear. So, the coffers are empty and the taxmen get creative. As long as they don't charge us for fresh air, or maybe they won't bother because they might loose any court case if citizens challenge that in court -fresh air- that is....:AngelPray:

Ildy
09-03-2012, 21:26
It was introduced last year September, so can't tell yet if people are healthier...
You pay extra tax for things with high salt, sugar or coffeine content, but only if it's pre-packed. So if the chef puts too much salt in your food, you don't pay extra...
So obvious ones: chips, biscuits, salty snacks, energy drinks...
Also powered soup, food flavorants and fruit juice above certain % of added sugar.
Coffee is exception.
The level of tax varies. For example fruit juice is about 1 rubel/ liter, but energy drink 40 rub/l
The main reason to introduce it was of course to get extra income which will only partially be spent oh healthcare. :(
If you want change people's diet,you should charge more, but then too many would stop buying, so no more income..
I personally like the idea, but than you should do it properly,not just halfway...

TolkoRaz
09-03-2012, 23:13
-Higher taxes on soft drinks like coke and any kind of Junk food - this would be,in the eyes of of UN experts the right way for overcoming the injurious eating habits widespread in rich states.
At the same time it must be made impossible to the agrarian industry to write off/ tax deduct the costs for massive advertising campaigns and marketing of fat, ready food rich in salt, fat and in sugar.-

original from www.krone.at

well if they do that FEW -western- countries will have a budget deficit....

Excellent idea, there are far too many Fast Food restaurants on this planet and far too many fatties sweating profusely, taking up too much room on planes and the metro etc, as well as waddling down the street or through shopping malls slowing up racing Greyhounds like myself :coffee:

There should also be a Tax on Fatness and Obesity! :D

robertmf
01-04-2012, 19:04

... then our excessive consumption of sugar is the primary reason that the numbers of obese and diabetic Americans have skyrocketed in the past 30 years. But his argument implies more than that. If Lustig is right, it would mean that sugar is also the likely dietary cause of several other chronic ailments widely considered to be diseases of Western lifestyles heart disease, hypertension and many common cancers among them.

Is sugar toxic ? (http://www.nytimes.com/2011/04/17/magazine/mag-17Sugar-t.html)