PDA

View Full Version : Changing Australian dollars in Moscow - not as easy as USD or EUros

rumple_stilskin
05-03-2012, 17:26
Hi Guys,

Anyone know the best place to change money in Moscow when you do not have USD or Euro? I have some australian dollars, just 220 dollars.

things have changed in the last couple of years. Last night i tried changing USD, only wanted to do 100 dollars. anyway one place had dual rates. If you had less than 2000 USD, they would give me 2703 Roubles. Another wanted at least 1000USD, otherwise they would give me 2840 Roubles for my 100 - so i took it. two other places had no roubles. this was near pushkin square.

Didn't seem to notice dual rates for Euro.

in the tverskaya metro entrance you could change 100 australian dollars for 2500 roubles - so they were taking 20% comission!!!!

can anyone suggest a good central place to change currency that is not USD/Euro?

FatAndy
05-03-2012, 17:47
things have changed in the last couple of years.
No. Dual rates (below 1K EUR or USD and 1K+ or even 10K+) exist since dinosaurus times ;)

Regarding Kanga's money - don't you use RBC?
http://cash.rbc.ru/?pagerLimiter=70&order=DESC&sortf=DT_LAST_PUBLICATE&city=1&currency=302&time=60&positionData=2 - see AUD/RUB rates and banks contacts (not kiosks).

you could change 100 australian dollars for 2500 roubles - so they were taking 20% comission!!!! - welcome to real world! Don't forget our local proverb - there are two fools on the market, one sells, second buys ;)

BabyFirefly
05-03-2012, 18:16
I live near metro Altufevo (not center but if you're desperate), and lots of banks here change AUD to rubles with a good rate.

rumple_stilskin
05-03-2012, 18:21
No. Dual rates (below 1K EUR or USD and 1K+ or even 10K+) exist since dinosaurus times ;)

http://cash.rbc.ru/?pagerLimiter=70&order=DESC&sortf=DT_LAST_PUBLICATE&city=1&currency=302&time=60&positionData=2 - see AUD/RUB rates and banks contacts (not kiosks).

you could change 100 australian dollars for 2500 roubles - so they were taking 20% comission!!!! - welcome to real world! Don't forget our local proverb - there are two fools on the market, one sells, second buys ;)

The dual rates seem more common now. I have seen them before too, but the rate for small amounts was much closer if i recall correctly. The kiosks only had the dual rates for USD, not Euro which is interesting.

I did look at the rbc link, but not really understand as my russian is not so good. can you please explain for dummies.

rumple_stilskin
05-03-2012, 18:30

I was looking at the website, is the Сумма column the min or max to get that rate? i guess the min?

FatAndy
05-03-2012, 18:31
I did look at the rbc link, but not really understand as my russian is not so good. can you please explain for dummies.

Well, it looks like spreadsheet with rows and columns.

Row represents one exchange point of banks, which deals with AUD.

Columns: check ; bank's name ; currency ; buy at ; sell at ; commission ; sum ; time ; additional info (contacts, phones)

Ask somebody of your Russian relatives/colleagues/mates to call them, deal and define exact address.

FatAndy
05-03-2012, 18:32
Sum is the minimal sum in AUD to exchange, yes.

rumple_stilskin
05-03-2012, 19:00
that looks good, i will give one a try tomorrow.