PDA

View Full Version : Please, help Rexy with a lexicological question

Rexy
01-03-2012, 22:05
I am so stupid. I cannot explain my students why their answer in the quiz is not correct. Please, choose the correct word and explain your choice.

The development of writing made a huge difference to the world and we might see it as the beginning of the _________.

1) media 2) bulletin 3) programme 4) journalism

TolkoRaz
02-03-2012, 01:40
I can only presume the answer is media given that as more people learnt to write and read, there became a thirst by the masses for knowledge and news etc? :tv:

But, I could be wrong! :nut:

PeteD
02-03-2012, 02:46
I am so stupid. I cannot explain my students why their answer in the quiz is not correct. Please, choose the correct word and explain your choice.

The development of writing made a huge difference to the world and we might see it as the beginning of the _________.

Answer 4 would be grammatically incorrect, because you wouldn't say THE journalism.

Answer 1 is a broad description, not exclusive to writing, because it might include radio and T.V., so, while being grammatically correct, it wouldn't be a "good" or "likely" statement.

Answer 3 falls in to the same category as answer 1, although it may not be a T.V. or radio programme, but a "programme of writing development" for example - again, poor, if used in an example of good English.

I would opt for answer 2. Bulletins used to be brief, written updates. Later, the written updates were read out on the T.V. or radio, but would always involve some writing!

Hope this helps!

Tony P
02-03-2012, 04:18
I cannot explain my students

"I cannot explain to my students" in the context of what follows.

robertmf
02-03-2012, 06:03

Hah !! You are back :)

The development of printing made a huge difference to the world and we might see that as the beginning of sex.

Steph
02-03-2012, 10:15
It is (1) because before the invention of writing, the only way to pass information on was to talk, and that was "direct" as in can't be stored or transported. Writing and then the printing press is the beginning of the media ("media" = средства of communication, ie. ways of storing and passing on data).

So it is perfectly correct to say that writing is the beginning of the media, I don't know what the poster who bleated about media always meaning tv and radio was on about. The question said "beginning", not "be all and end all"

Max77
02-03-2012, 12:09

Opened your thread just to look at your avatar picture once more. Honest.
I guess I am stupid too.

Pastafarian
02-03-2012, 12:58
Beginning of the media makes no sense.
Bulletin: you read a bulletin, you don't watch it ("as we can see at"). Well, you could watch it but it would be pretty boring.
Program: grammatically correct and makes sense.
Journalism: "the beginning of the journalism"? Really? ERROR ERROR.

Sparafucile
02-03-2012, 13:52
The only possible answer (from those given) is 'media' - because the others can't be correctly used with a definite article. This doesn't make the statement 'true', but it's the only grammatically acceptable answer available.

:book:

Rexy
02-03-2012, 14:59
Thank you all so much!!!! What would I do without you?

The correct answer is media. It doesn't seem to make sense for some of you because you haven't seen the whole text. It becomes clear later, that the words "bulletin" and "programme" don't fit at all.

I've myself chosen the word "media" simply because it sounded better for me, but I couldn't explain it properly.

Why can't I say the journalism but can the media?

"I cannot explain to my students" in the context of what follows.

You wouldn't believe but I've suddenly remembered that I had made this mistake in the Metro today. Ive even blushed a bit))) It is my everlasting mistake. =)

Steph
02-03-2012, 15:45
I understand it that you say "the media" because it is a pervasive mass of all written or broadcast communication, everywhere, like "the weather" or "the atmosphere".

"Journalism" like all "isms" is just a normal noun. You could say "the journalism in this paper is awful" but there is so much variation in journalism that if you just always called it "the journalism" then no one would know WHICH journalism you were talking about. And if you mean it by a profession, then you don't need to single it out by an article.

Most of the time articles seem so arbitrary that native speakers can't explain them...! I always have trouble explaining them

Benedikt
02-03-2012, 15:54

Media - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

and all need in one way or other or some context,, -writing- might that be for a radio/TV ( hardly then yet) program, newspapers, theaters, shows and so on.
so MEDIA is the word.

our English teacher was a retired Professor from Oxford...

martpark
02-03-2012, 17:12
Thank you all so much!!!! What would I do without you?

The correct answer is media It doesn't seem to make sense for some of you because you haven't seen the whole text. It becomes clear later, that the words "bulletin" and "programme" don't fit at all.

I've myself chosen the word "media" simply because it sounded better for me, but I couldn't explain it properly.

Why can't I say the journalism but can the media?

You wouldn't believe but I've suddenly remembered that I had made this mistake in the Metro today. Ive even blushed a bit))) It is my everlasting mistake. =)

'The media' (incidentally, I believe 'media' is plural in Latin) implies a group of something, like the Seychelles (islands). 'Isms' are usually uncountable philosophies. For example, you wouldn't say 'the capitalism'.

About your original question. None of the options sounds particularly good.

What sounds good to me is "...we might see it as the beginning of [-]the [/-] media, using it as a general term, not the specific organisers of information.