PDA

View Full Version : Show and Event Listings

FRAULIER
28-02-2012, 15:20
Does anyone know of a website where you can find a complete listing of shows and events currently on in Moscow?

Sparafucile
28-02-2012, 15:51
www.parter.ru (Russian)

andymackem
29-02-2012, 11:50
In English, I tend to find the Moscow Times (Thursday edition) is about the most comprehensive. Can get it online at www.themoscowtimes.com, if it's not obvious on the home page click through to the 'arts and ideas' section. www.elementmoscow.com and www.themoscownews.com also have some English language content, but tend to focus on more detailed previews of a smaller number of events. www.realmoscow.me is similar, but on a smaller scale.

In Russian, afisha.ru and timeout.ru are probably your best bets. If you're looking to improve your Russian, these are fairly good places to start - a lot of the language is familiar (музыка, рок группа, оркестр etc) which helps boost your confidence as you go. Plus, you're interested in the information, which motivates you to try to overcome the language barrier.

FRAULIER
29-02-2012, 12:10
Thanks to both Sparafucile and andymackem for those links.

I have actually now used parter.ru to buy some tickets fo this Saturday and I will soon know if I got it right (they are due to deliver them later today). I will also try afisha.ru and timeout.ru and see how I get on there...

Incidentally, on parter.ru, there is a way of switching to an English version of the page, but only the permanent links get shown in English. It's a little helpful when you actually come to placing your order, but does not help if you are trying to browse shows for inspiration...

FatAndy
29-02-2012, 12:42
www.afisha.ru

andymackem
29-02-2012, 13:09
Thanks to both Sparafucile and andymackem for those links.

I have actually now used parter.ru to buy some tickets fo this Saturday and I will soon know if I got it right (they are due to deliver them later today). I will also try afisha.ru and timeout.ru and see how I get on there...

Incidentally, on parter.ru, there is a way of switching to an English version of the page, but only the permanent links get shown in English. It's a little helpful when you actually come to placing your order, but does not help if you are trying to browse shows for inspiration...

In general, sadly, English-language versions of Russian websites tend to be limited, or out of date, or both. BTW, when buying tickets (especially theatre tickets) you may find you can save money by ordering direct from the theatre box office. Many of them will now accept e-mail orders, and you just pick up and pay for your tickets before the show (I recently did this for an opera at www.stanmus.ru). It's a fairly simple pro-forma Russian letter - once you have one you can easily amend it.

What sort of events are you interested in? As well as the listing sites, we might be able to advise with good venues. And bad ones, which is sometimes more important!