PDA

View Full Version : Permanent ban for Roja. Suggestion?

Tony P
24-02-2012, 23:51
As it is widely thought this was another reincarnation of a previously permanently banned poster, I wonder if it possible to ban specific IP addresses as well as a user name?

Although that would not stop such a person finding another PC, it would inconvenience him by severly reducing the accessability of re-registering under yet another name where he is, without cost or effort. And if he abuses a friend's hospitality he is accountable to them for their being restricted!

I am not technical so don't know if what I say makes sence or indeed is possible. Or possibly too easily to overcome to be worthwhile.

DavidB
24-02-2012, 23:57
The problem is that if he turns his modem off for a few hours, he will be assigned a new IP address - that's how most ISPs work.

Tony P
25-02-2012, 00:25
I bow to a greater knowledge. I thought the actual PC had the permanant identifier, not its current connection.

Note to self: stick to what you know (Which is not a lot!!)

Swordfish90293
25-02-2012, 00:40
The problem is that if he turns his modem off for a few hours, he will be assigned a new IP address - that's how most ISPs work.

oooooh! So interesting!

Jack17
25-02-2012, 00:56
oooooh! So interesting!
I have it from the highest sources that Roja was not Willy. I accept that and assume it is pure coincidence that Roja and Patriot have all stopped posting at the same time. Stay tuned at 11 for more details; I doubt we've heard the last from these interesting chaps.

yakspeare
25-02-2012, 02:09
I have it from the highest sources that Roja was not Willy. I accept that and assume it is pure coincidence that Roja and Patriot have all stopped posting at the same time. Stay tuned at 11 for more details; I doubt we've heard the last from these interesting chaps.

Rusmeister?

Jack17
25-02-2012, 02:21
Rusmeister?
My lips are sealed.

Benedikt
25-02-2012, 06:54

when i finished working on the computer i turn off the -main- switch. no electricity for anything, computer,printer,modem, nothing. maybe come back only after work and turn it on. in the evening i do the same. so every morning basically i would have a new IP address?
just for interests sake, where could i check that out if it IS like that?

FatAndy
25-02-2012, 07:23
when i finished working on the computer i turn off the -main- switch. no electricity for anything, computer,printer,modem, nothing. maybe come back only after work and turn it on. in the evening i do the same. so every morning basically i would have a new IP address?
In IP protocol settings of your PC (if you have direct Ethenet connection) or modem (if you have ADSL or DOCSIS).

Hans.KK
25-02-2012, 07:59
so every morning basically i would have a new IP address?
Best is to check the IP every time you had turn on your PC.
You can use http://myip.dk for that, write it down (the IP adresse) then it is more easy to check if it change.
This works no matter how you are connected to the internet, and it shows what IP is present to the places you visit on the internet, remember you put your stamp (IP adress) all the places you visits.

Hans.KK
25-02-2012, 08:05
In IP protocol settings of your PC (if you have direct Ethenet connection) or modem (if you have ADSL or DOCSIS).Not always true, your ISP can have NAT and then you only see a internal IP adress, and if you have a router between your PC and your internet then you are most licky behind NAT too, so best is to check it up against the internet.

DavidB
25-02-2012, 10:35
I usually type into Google: what is my ip

Another thing to remember - some companies (eg. Akado) share an IP address between many customers. So in that case it wouldn't change, but it would still be impractical for expat.ru to block a user based that IP address.

DavidB
25-02-2012, 10:38
I thought the actual PC had the permanant identifier, not its current connection.

There is another address which is permanent. It's called a "MAC address". However, websites which you visit can't see that address; only your ISP can.

moscowmail
25-02-2012, 10:46
In the admin CP of the site you have the ability to ban the ISP as well as the user, the user can get a new one, but ban that after as well

Most PCs do not change their ISP when re-logging on, but an ISP can be used by others

The best way to deter this is for the users on this site to use the report button and then you site team dudes can deal with instantly

I have noticed the level of modding on this site has increased dramatically, well done chaps but the users of the site need to take ownership and report posts as well, this saves a huge amount of time for the site team and increases the moderation of the site

rusmeister
25-02-2012, 11:10
In the admin CP of the site you have the ability to ban the ISP as well as the user, the user can get a new one, but ban that after as well

Most PCs do not change their ISP when re-logging on, but an ISP can be used by others

The best way to deter this is for the users on this site to use the report button and then you site team dudes can deal with instantly

I have noticed the level of modding on this site has increased dramatically, well done chaps but the users of the site need to take ownership and report posts as well, this saves a huge amount of time for the site team and increases the moderation of the site

I'm generally unwilling to report others; it seems that 99% of the time ignoring them is easier and wiser. They'd have to be advocating pogroms on minorities, murder and mayhem. But in general, the ignore user function works, though posts by such users can still be seen in the reflections of quotes by others. The very few that insist on being unreasonable can be relegated there; if enough people did that, they would go away on their own.

The Roses
25-02-2012, 11:30
I'm generally unwilling to report others; it seems that 99% of the time ignoring them is easier and wiser. They'd have to be advocating pogroms on minorities, murder and mayhem. But in general, the ignore user function works, though posts by such users can still be seen in the reflections of quotes by others. The very few that insist on being unreasonable can be relegated there; if enough people did that, they would go away on their own.

Here, here. Otherwise we just get too close to censorship. So what people have a row or provoke? It's cyberspace, not physical. Ignore.

ezik
25-02-2012, 12:09
We shouldn't over-moderate, true. But our current activity is not coming from nowhere. The last three months, we had a few fights to many.

Roja was banned because he, completely without any reason, attacked a poster out of the blue, wishing she would die very quickly. That sort of stuff cannot count on any tolerance.

We can ban IPs and in this case probably will, as it looks rather a unique one.
We cannot block MAC addresses from PC's, which would be more effective.

The Roses
25-02-2012, 12:44
We shouldn't over-moderate, true. But our current activity is not coming from nowhere. The last three months, we had a few fights to many.

Roja was banned because he, completely without any reason, attacked a poster out of the blue, wishing she would die very quickly. That sort of stuff cannot count on any tolerance.

We can ban IPs and in this case probably will, as it looks rather a unique one.
We cannot block MAC addresses from PC's, which would be more effective.

My name is Nuff and I am a fairy. Fairy Nuff.

moscowmail
25-02-2012, 13:11

Busy forums have to rely on their members, if we see spam, happens often, they should be reported, if we recognize a new poster who looks like a past banned person, a reported post will simply alert the mod team who can then keep an eye

Any offensive posts, I mean clear offensive posts like Rojo's, that too should be reported

I am not in favour of censorship, but I am clear advocate over common sense, there are people who thrive on taking the mick out of people, which is fine if it rocks their sad boat, but if it is not kept in check, then they WILL cross the line

let's not kid ourselves here, this is a lively forum and I enjoy it in the main, but there are a few people who are kept in check, and so they should be, but not banned permanently, they do bring some spice and fun but can get carried away with their own self importance

In summary, of course we should use the report post function as an aid foe the mod team, not as a persecution or censorship, but for the ONLY reason it is there

Just my opinion, feel free to report it :)

moscowmail
25-02-2012, 13:12
Here, here. Otherwise we just get too close to censorship. So what people have a row or provoke? It's cyberspace, not physical. Ignore.

Nope, wrong this site is not for fighting and rowing, discussions yes, and it CAN get physical unfortunately, this is a small City, see my post above

Hans.KK
25-02-2012, 14:16
We cannot block MAC addresses from PC's, which would be more effective.No, MAC addresse can be change/overruled by sw, both in Linux and Windows, and it is easy to do.

moscowmail
25-02-2012, 15:29
One of the bigger problems here is people can't actually debate. They get REALLY upset when someone disagrees with their ideas of Chesterton, their hatred for all things Western, etc.

It's the internet. Get over it. If someone doesn't like what another person posts, the solution is pretty simple. DON'T READ IT.

Maybe, but it is up to the individual users to respect other peoples opinions, not necessarily agree with them of course, and to debate, not slag them off

The Roses
25-02-2012, 20:16
Maybe, but it is up to the individual users to respect other peoples opinions, not necessarily agree with them of course, and to debate, not slag them off

If I got a buck for taking offence to every person that slagged me or my ideas off, I'd be loaded.... Frankly in that situation, I say to myself, "It's a matter of opinion. I have the the opinion and they don't matter....". Simples.

ezik
26-02-2012, 00:53
My name is Nuff and I am a fairy. Fairy Nuff.

We have a Mod called Mud. He is not this guy:
Primus - My Name Is Mud - YouTube

ezik
26-02-2012, 00:55
No, MAC addresse can be change/overruled by sw, both in Linux and Windows, and it is easy to do.

Hans.KK, from what I got it is not in the standard vBulletin features, but if you have a way, please PM me.
I guess it is somehow possible, no doubt, just haven't found the way yet. :)

ezik
26-02-2012, 01:18
It's a clear fact: people often feel safe behind the keyboard and the threshold to post inflammatory stuff is low.

I don't mind someone getting upset when a debate is turning bad for him or her. And the natural reaction is often to insult the one that made the debate turn bad. :) In that case, we, all of us, should say: DON'T INSULT. There is no shame in losing a debate, not here. Actually, admitting defeat makes you stronger, because you will learn from the experience and won't let it happen again.

I'm NOT against natural reactions, and I think we should never convict or ban someone to get angry and making some mistakes. Especially if we're talking about a newbie.

Our main values, as a collective of posters here, should be Freedom of Speech and Tolerance. And if someone gets out of line, it is our common responsibility to correct this person. Debating can be fun, debating can be sharp, on the edge, but that's something we should cherish.

But if we have the practice of sharp debate, we should mind the following:
- Help, rather than convict, new people to the site. We all have PM, Thank You buttons, etc. Don't judge someone too quickly, ESPECIALLY if your opinions are absolutely opposite: you just found your ideal debate partner!
- Leave those that are not looking for "debate", which sometimes can be interpreted as "conflict", alone.

Respect and empathy go a long way.

One of the bigger problems here is people can't actually debate. They get REALLY upset when someone disagrees with their ideas of Chesterton, their hatred for all things Western, etc.

It's the internet. Get over it. If someone doesn't like what another person posts, the solution is pretty simple. DON'T READ IT.

robertmf
26-02-2012, 01:30
We have a Mod called Mud. He is not this guy:
Primus - My Name Is Mud - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=953PkxFNiko)

His name is Mudd (http://askville.amazon.com/term-mud-people/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2195766) :question:

:11629: Roja was actually FlakeySnowballer on steroids :question:

ezik
26-02-2012, 02:04
His name is Mudd (http://askville.amazon.com/term-mud-people/AnswerViewer.do?requestId=2195766) :question:

:11629: Roja was actually FlakeySnowballer on steroids :question:

Mud with one D!
Sorry, I just like the song: great bass by Les Claypool, hilarious lyrics. And the real Mud we know here is the complete opposite of the character displayed in the song.

Claiming that Roja was Flakey on steroids is something I'll respectfully have to disagree on. I'd welcome back Flakey anytime. She got a two day ban that I still think was deserved, but after that, she'd be back in with a clean record. I respect Flakey.

Roja, on the other had, along with his AKA sigmund, was bad news from the start. Even if some decent posts were made, the insults to other members were just too extreme.

Publicly wishing someone that he/she will die as soon as possible is not the thing we want here. Flakey would never do that, I'm quite sure.

Periwinkle
26-02-2012, 10:10

hmmm I have noticed certain posters seem to make use of snide comments and petty insults in debates.
Often trying to stir the pot and provoke an angry response.....
Cough cough

Periwinkle
26-02-2012, 10:21
Mud with one D!
Sorry, I just like the song: great bass by Les Claypool, hilarious lyrics. And the real Mud we know here is the complete opposite of the character displayed in the song.

Claiming that Roja was Flakey on steroids is something I'll respectfully have to disagree on. I'd welcome back Flakey anytime. She got a two day ban that I still think was deserved, but after that, she'd be back in with a clean record. I respect Flakey.

Roja, on the other had, along with his AKA sigmund, was bad news from the start. Even if some decent posts were made, the insults to other members were just too extreme.

Publicly wishing someone that he/she will die as soon as possible is not the thing we want here. Flakey would never do that, I'm quite sure.

Who did Roja direct his comments to? I do not think he was willy reincarnated nor flakey. The language and style are too dissimilar. Flake did ignore her ban and kept popping back in that time frame I recall.
There are quite a few unpleasant people who have reincarnated themselves from time to time both on here and redtape.....sadly

moscowmail
26-02-2012, 11:00
Who did Roja direct his comments to? I do not think he was willy reincarnated nor flakey. The language and style are too dissimilar. Flake did ignore her ban and kept popping back in that time frame I recall.
There are quite a few unpleasant people who have reincarnated themselves from time to time both on here and redtape.....sadly

It wasn't/isn't Willy or flakey, different styles, and Willy is back but is a good chilled guy now :)

Roja is sigmund and many other idiots :)

Periwinkle
26-02-2012, 13:59
Who me? :emote_popcorn:

That's pretty funny coming from you.
Pot... Kettle... You know how it goes.

Same old same old..... Did you just repeat what I said? The response of those who have no response. Will not bother posting further as there is no point. just thought one of the main mud throwers is here professing to be a choir boy. And no I do not try to stir things up like you do.Which is why I prefer to avoid you generally but that bit of hypocrisy was just too much.

rusmeister
26-02-2012, 14:00
It's a clear fact: people often feel safe behind the keyboard and the threshold to post inflammatory stuff is low.

I don't mind someone getting upset when a debate is turning bad for him or her. And the natural reaction is often to insult the one that made the debate turn bad. :) In that case, we, all of us, should say: DON'T INSULT. There is no shame in losing a debate, not here. Actually, admitting defeat makes you stronger, because you will learn from the experience and won't let it happen again.

I'm NOT against natural reactions, and I think we should never convict or ban someone to get angry and making some mistakes. Especially if we're talking about a newbie.

Our main values, as a collective of posters here, should be Freedom of Speech and Tolerance. And if someone gets out of line, it is our common responsibility to correct this person. Debating can be fun, debating can be sharp, on the edge, but that's something we should cherish.

But if we have the practice of sharp debate, we should mind the following:
- Help, rather than convict, new people to the site. We all have PM, Thank You buttons, etc. Don't judge someone too quickly, ESPECIALLY if your opinions are absolutely opposite: you just found your ideal debate partner!
- Leave those that are not looking for "debate", which sometimes can be interpreted as "conflict", alone.

Respect and empathy go a long way.

Excellent post, Ezik,
I'd like to throw in, more for you than for the detractors, that the people I recommend reading - the ones who taught me how to think in my late 30's - set the highest value on charity towards others; a concern for avoiding personal offense even while wading into controversy - and so they didn't reall have any enemies. The much-maligned Gilbert Chesterton managed tostay friends with HG Wells and GB Shaw all his life, despite fierce debate and opposition regarding truth.

I only aspire to that level of charity, but I would like to have the epitaph that Shaw gave to Chesterton on the latter's death: "The world is not thankful enough for Chesterton." It's not often that one's philosophical foes salute each other like that.

If we could all aspire to that we would have a real CIVILization...

annasophia
26-02-2012, 14:13
....pencil ready, scorecard in hand.....

Sigmund is Willy---no, Flaky snowballer is Roja---no, Sigmund is Roja....no, Willy is Flaky snowballer---who the hell is Willy?

drtnsnw is banned. drtnsnw is unbanned. drtnsnw is banned again then unbanned again.

What the hell? I'm really getting lost in all these multiple identities and bannings and feuds and who said what to who.

Didn't there used to be a folder on the old Expat.ru named "Schoolyard" where all insults were allowed, participants duked it out among themselves, and anybody who didn't want to see it could just not open the folder? And Dr Limichick gave out snarky advice?

moscowmail
26-02-2012, 14:50
Dr and Peri, why don't you just agree to disagree, it is a pointless argument, you both think you are right and the other is wrong, chillax guys

Periwinkle
26-02-2012, 15:12
Sigh this is rather pointless and I said I would not post but your threads make my point.
you show posts with you making snide comments to valid points and posting stupid smilies to wind people up and what is kindergarten humor.. It is rather annoying and I am finally going to do what I should have done ages ago - put you on ignore. You are like a buzzing mosquito who if one listens to you -one does get annoyed. I did get fed up with you in those posts and if you read a bit before those posts you see why. Should know better than to feed trolls that get their jollys with wind ups. I am sure it fills you with glee. I will not be your new target.
My prediction another witty smiley is coming.

MickeyTong
26-02-2012, 16:13

The way that "some people" respond to disagreeing with Chesterton and criticisms of Orthodoxy (I think I know who you mean....) is usually very reasoned, mature and civil. I can't say the same for the way some nationalities respond to any criticism of their "shining city on a hill."

Tony P
06-03-2012, 18:34
I see DRTSNW has been banned (again).

Is this permanent (I hope not) or just a trip to the Sin Bin (if so for how long).

ezik
06-03-2012, 18:37
Again a two day stay in the Sin Bin.

moscowmail
06-03-2012, 21:04
He gets banned more than a dyslexic horse.... (thing about it...)

Jack17
06-03-2012, 21:21
the way some nationalities respond to any criticism of their "shining city on a hill."

Would that "shining city" be somewhere in the Outer Hebrides?

MickeyTong
06-03-2012, 21:52
Would that "shining city" be somewhere in the Outer Hebrides?

The Outer Hebrides are a string of pearls cast onto the North Atlantic by The Lord to display His Glory.

Jack17
06-03-2012, 22:28
The Outer Hebrides are a string of pearls cast onto the North Atlantic by The Lord to display His Glory.
Got it.

TolkoRaz
06-03-2012, 22:48

Is that what they mean when referring to a 'Pearl Necklace'? ;)

MickeyTong
07-03-2012, 14:10
Is that what they mean when referring to a 'Pearl Necklace'? ;)

Some people think the Outer Hebrides are more like a Dirty Sanchez.

Patriots
24-03-2012, 00:24
It's turning into a monthly event... :rofl:

I'm wondering when they'll just do it for good. It's so nice here now. Nobody insulting anyone, no death threats, bashing. I got pm's that now you beat some girl. What a jerk. People here like you?

TolkoRaz
24-03-2012, 00:34
I was also sent a PM by somebody who will remain nameless - it made me laugh! :D

What was the point in sending it to me? Did I really care what he / she thought of me and my posts? :coffee:

Как с гуся вода!

I cried all night long! :D

ezik
24-03-2012, 00:49
It's obvious that we want this forum to be without insults.
We assume people that post here to be sensible and with good intentions. That's a naive assumption, maybe, but it's the way we want it to be here.
Some may cross the lines, once, twice or more times. But we draw limits. Especially if banned persons slag off this community. That, given the fact that this forum is operated by volunteers only, is something that we'll not tolerate here.

robertmf
24-03-2012, 03:07

Yeah, just like "the black pearl of the Pacific" is Shemya :evilgrin:

Ritchy
16-06-2012, 13:28
Guys there are far to many ways for a smart guy, who knows his net, to do what he wants to do and when he choses to do so, one such thing is called the tor project... Go check it out!!!

So, i would say is ips may change but the style of spamming wont lol...
Smatch thoes bi$&@es..:12115: