PDA

View Full Version : Native British or Australian?! Help me with an experiment!

rubyrussia
19-02-2012, 19:32
Hello!

I've always been a bit surprised at how grammar rules (especially tenses) are so strictly taught. Frequently I think all of these publishers (Cambridge, Longman, etc) and language exams (IELTS, CAE, First Certificate, etc) expect more proficiency from foreign language learners than what many native speakers have themselves.

If you are British or Australian could you help me (I've asked Americans already). The following is an exercise that practices narrative tenses (Grammar needed to tell stories in English) Could you please do the following exercises and PM me your answers. Don't forget to tell me where you are from! (I'd rather people answer how they speak and not compare with others) I'm doing this as research. I've seen some variations among the Americans that I've asked.

Could you do the following exercises B and C so that we can check to see if there is any variation between the answers in the book and how people actually speak. A has already been one for you. It has been given as an example. Thanks!

A
It's not uncommon for people to fall asleep on trains, but snoring loudly in public is another matter. One day recently I (1) __________________ (read) my newspaper on the train when I (2) __________________ (become) aware of a loud snoring sound coming from the man opposite me. As the train (3) __________________ (come) into the last station on the line, I (4) __________________ (give) the man a sharp poke with my umbrella to wake him up. Instead of being grateful, he (5) __________________ (look) at me furiously; he (6) __________________ (not be) asleep at all! The snoring (6) __________________ (come) from the enormous dog who (8) __________________ (lie) at his feet!

Textbook answers to A:
1. was reading
2. became
3. was coming
4. gave
5. looked
6. hadn't been
7. had been coming
8. was lying

B
My friend (9) __________________ (travel) on a domestic flight in South America a few years ago. They (10) __________________ (go) for about forty minutes, when the pilot (11) __________________ (suddenly start) speaking excitedly in Spanish. Most of the passengers (12) __________________ (run) forward, shouting, and in panic, my friend (13) __________________ (get) into the crash position, leaning forward with his head between his knees. He (14) __________________ (sit) like that for some minutes when the stewardess kindly (15) __________________ (explain) to him that they (16) __________________ (fly) over the Angel Falls, and would he like to look out of the window like the other passengers?

C
An Australian woman travelling home from Melbourne (17) __________________ (drive) down a narrow road one dark evening when she (18) __________________ (enter) a tunnel. Although a little surprised at this, as she (19) __________________ (not notice) a tunnel on that route before, she (20) __________________ (carry on). But after half an hour of twisting and turning, she (21) __________________ (run out) of petrol. It (22) __________________ (be) completely dark in the tunnel, so she (23) __________________ (decide) to wait for help. She (24) __________________ (only wait) for a few minutes when she (25) __________________ (see) three men coming towards her. Rather surprisingly, the three men (26) __________________ (wear) helmets with lamps on the front. The three men (27) __________________ (seem) even more surprised to see her. It was then that the woman (28) __________________ (realise) that she (29) __________________ (drive) into a coal mine.

I AM FROM ___________________________________.

robertmf
19-02-2012, 20:31
Hello!

I've always been a bit surprised at how grammar rules (especially tenses) are so strictly taught.

Sorry. This form is too complicated.

:trampoline:

yakspeare
19-02-2012, 22:14
Apparently I'm not a native English speaker either. So I can't help.

rubyrussia
19-02-2012, 23:15
Apparently I'm not a native English speaker either. So I can't help.

Hey! That's ok. I'm just curious to see if some of these companies that dictate what esl is need a reality check. :-) I'm primarily interested in the countries that i listed above but if you're from anywhere where English is the official and native language, you could help. I wasn't trying to exclude anyone or narrowly define what a native English speaker is, pretend that there are better forms of English in certain countries, or start some childish flame war.

MickeyTong
19-02-2012, 23:25
It will to have being much embarrassment to answering this questions in pubic. Foreigners might the wrong idea getting about native speakererses literacy skills at readings and writing and have been formed negatively opinions.

PeteD
19-02-2012, 23:31
Hello!

The following is an exercise that practices narrative tenses (Grammar needed to tell stories in English)

I think you mean "practises" :10189:

MickeyTong
19-02-2012, 23:32
[QUOTE=rubyrussia;959258]
My friend (9) __________________ (travel) on a domestic flight in South America a few years ago. They (10) __________________ (go) for about forty minutes, when the pilot (11) __________________ (suddenly start) speaking excitedly in Spanish. Most of the passengers (12) __________________ (run) forward, shouting, and in panic, my friend (13) __________________ (get) into the crash position, leaning forward with his head between his knees. He (14) __________________ (sit) like that for some minutes when the stewardess kindly (15) __________________ (explain) to him that they (16) __________________ (fly) over the Angel Falls, and would he like to look out of the window like the other passengers?

9) took a chance
10) had been flying
11) burst out of the cockpit
12) gallumphed
13) cowered
14) had been crapping himself
15) condescended
16) were in freefall

MickeyTong
19-02-2012, 23:36
I think you mean "practises" :10189:

Perhaps she's 'Merckan: they don't make the distinction.

PeteD
19-02-2012, 23:49
Perhaps she's 'Merckan: they don't make the distinction.

:) Agreed, perhaps she is! However, I also noticed that she was asking for British / Australian input, so gave my British 10p's worth! - Because we DO make a distinction - at least, those of us who understand the difference! ;)

MickeyTong
19-02-2012, 23:55
C
An Australian woman travelling home from Melbourne (17) __________________ (drive) down a narrow road one dark evening when she (18) __________________ (enter) a tunnel. Although a little surprised at this, as she (19) __________________ (not notice) a tunnel on that route before, she (20) __________________ (carry on). But after half an hour of twisting and turning, she (21) __________________ (run out) of petrol. It (22) __________________ (be) completely dark in the tunnel, so she (23) __________________ (decide) to wait for help. She (24) __________________ (only wait) for a few minutes when she (25) __________________ (see) three men coming towards her. Rather surprisingly, the three men (26) __________________ (wear) helmets with lamps on the front. The three men (27) __________________ (seem) even more surprised to see her. It was then that the woman (28) __________________ (realise) that she (29) __________________ (drive) into a coal mine.

I AM FROM ___________________________________.

Sorry, Ruby.....I was a bit cheeky.

17) was driving (had been driving)
18) entered
19) had not noticed
20) carried on
21) ran
22) was
23) decided
24) had been waiting for only a few minutes
25) saw
26) were wearing (wore)
27) seemed
28) realised
29) had driven

If I've made any mistakes, I'll buy a few lessons from Bels.

rubyrussia
20-02-2012, 00:01
[QUOTE=rubyrussia;959258]

9) took a chance
10) had been flying
11) burst out of the cockpit
12) gallumphed
13) cowered
14) had been crapping himself
15) condescended
16) were in freefall

I can appreciate humor. Thanks for your help!!! It means a lot!

rubyrussia
20-02-2012, 00:07
:) Agreed, perhaps she is! However, I also noticed that she was asking for British / Australian input, so gave my British 10p's worth! - Because we DO make a distinction - at least, those of us who understand the difference! ;)

Hey Pete,

Do you live in Moscow? Can I take your wheels out for a spin?

I'll be gentle.

PeteD
20-02-2012, 00:30
Hey Pete,

Do you live in Moscow? Can I take your wheels out for a spin?

I'll be gentle.

Hey RubyRussia! :)

Indeed I do live in Moscow!

I might be persuaded, if you can prove competence (no offence intended), by virtue of an appropriate licence, and convince me that it was acquired legitimately and that you have sufficient experience to handle my baby!

I also note that MickeyTong referred to you as "she", and I responded in kind, before noticing that you had indicated that you are male. You have now removed the gender and it is (now) "unspecified".... I hope you're not flirting with me - I don't DO flirting with guys! :)

rubyrussia
20-02-2012, 00:47
Hey RubyRussia! :)

Indeed I do live in Moscow!

I might be persuaded, if you can prove competence (no offence intended), by virtue of an appropriate licence, and convince me that it was acquired legitimately and that you have sufficient experience to handle my baby!

I also note that MickeyTong referred to you as "she", and I responded in kind, before noticing that you had indicated that you are male. You have now removed the gender and it is (now) "unspecified".... I hope you're not flirting with me - I don't DO flirting with guys! :)
Lol pretty funny I must say. I removed it because I like to keep as much personal information off the internet as possible. I'm paranoid. It was something that I was taught in the elite underground of the black arts... as you've probably already guessed, yes... I'm in fact a ninja. It even says so on my work permit.

AND I don't understand how anyone could be gay in such a beautiful country like Russia.

BTW I was asking about taking your bike out for a spin not you. :gay:
Thanks for the laugh though. You guys are funny.

PeteD
20-02-2012, 01:02
:) That's a relief, but it does beg the question "Why would a ninja be interested in the difference between British / Australian / American grammar?"

:smokin:

MickeyTong
20-02-2012, 01:16
:) That's a relief, but it does beg the question "Why would a ninja be interested in the difference between British / Australian / American grammar?"

:smokin:

S/he is a paranoid transgendered ninja - mystery is in their nature.

rubyrussia
20-02-2012, 01:39
Anyway, before we fly too far off topic. The exercise that I posted is actually important to me. If I could get one or two more people to help....

rubyrussia
20-02-2012, 01:50
haha. Nah. I don't think so. I've been enjoying this forum a lot, especially recently. We should go get a beer sometime. I'd love to meet people in person oh and prove my gender as well. LOL

PeteD
20-02-2012, 08:18
I'll make you a deal. You bring that form to the bar where I work and I'll fill it out.

... and, if you take it to his bar on Friday evening, I will also fill it out!

rubyrussia
20-02-2012, 10:06
If I can finish this first experiment, I'd actually like to try and measure how much "Russian English" expats assimilate that live in Russia over a long period of time. I mean, I've seen lots of native English speakers assimilating language from other native English speakers of various countries but what is interesting is when expats start repeating / imitating Russian constructions in English. I do this myself occasionally. I have to laugh at myself. For example: Last winter I was talking on my cell getting off a marshrutka when the woman in front of me slipped and fell. I was having a conversation in English and told my friend what had happened. The funny part is what I told him, I said, "Oh shoot, this woman in front of me just fell. I could have helped her if my hands hadn't been busy." :doh:

Do you guys meet at this bar every Friday? What time do you normally meet?

rubyrussia
20-02-2012, 13:56
Pm me the name / address if it's a secret otherwise just post it here and maybe I'll drop by this week.

rubyrussia
20-02-2012, 21:52
So native English speakers from all over the world have helped. Thanks guys. For some reason though not a single English person has. So what's the deal? No Brits are on this forum? I find that hard to believe.

alouette
20-02-2012, 22:30
It will to have being much embarrassment to answering this questions in pubic. Foreigners might the wrong idea getting about native speakererses literacy skills at readings and writing and have been formed negatively opinions.

Oh, Mickey,
What a misspelling 'pubic' ... :)

MickeyTong
21-02-2012, 00:40
Oh, Mickey,
What a misspelling 'pubic' ... :)

Well....I'm not very clever: that's why I work in the pubic sector. I feel that I have pubicly humiliated myself - I can never again show my face in pubic.

MickeyTong
21-02-2012, 00:42
... I'm in fact a ninja.

It's good that you can defend yourself. Life ain't easy for a boy named Ruby.

Tony P
21-02-2012, 00:45
I can never again show my face in pubic.

Many a girls loss, I am sure.

MickeyTong
21-02-2012, 00:47
Many a girls loss, I am sure.

That's what I always tell them.

robertmf
21-02-2012, 03:00
So native English speakers from all over the world have helped. Thanks guys. For some reason though not a single English person has. So what's the deal? No Brits are on this for

Would a Colonial be an okay substitute :question:
:devilish:

MickeyTong
21-02-2012, 03:09
So native English speakers from all over the world have helped. Thanks guys. For some reason though not a single English person has. So what's the deal? No Brits are on this forum? I find that hard to believe.

Hello. Remember me? English bloke, exiled in Scotland......

MickeyTong
21-02-2012, 03:10
Would a Colonial be an okay substitute :question:
:devilish:

Bob......is a $10 Rolex from Bangkok a substitute for the real thing?

jeni01
22-02-2012, 23:21
Well....I'm not very clever: that's why I work in the pubic sector. I feel that I have pubicly humiliated myself - I can never again show my face in pubic.

hahahahahhahahahaha
hahhahahahhahahahaha

robertmf
23-02-2012, 08:28
hahahahahhahahahaha
hahhahahahhahahahaha

What's so funny :question:

mosaikmum
23-02-2012, 14:58
I'm an Australian - native English speaker. I've sent you my answers in a PM. :)