PDA

View Full Version : Renewing your Russian Passport in the US?

GlockWild
17-02-2012, 22:52
For those Russian/US Citizens who have renewed your Russian passport while living in the US, how did you do it? My wife (Russian) has lived here (USA) for 6 years. She is now a US Citizen and has a US Passport. Her Russian passport has expired and she now wants to take another trip home, but isn't sure how to get her Russian passport renewed. It appears she has to take a plane trip to Seattle, spend at least one night there, jump through some hoops, pay a lot in travel costs etc etc... and then wait 2 or 3 months to get her passport back? Ouch.....

Have any of you fared better? What is her best option for this?

She is getting a home-stay invitation letter now from her dad, but I'm not sure that her traveling there in her US Passport is the answer either! She'd have to go to OVIR in her city and stand in line to register..... what a crock.

Any thoughts on this, either way?

ilya25
19-02-2012, 14:44
For those Russian/US Citizens who have renewed your Russian passport while living in the US, how did you do it? My wife (Russian) has lived here (USA) for 6 years. She is now a US Citizen and has a US Passport. Her Russian passport has expired and she now wants to take another trip home, but isn't sure how to get her Russian passport renewed. It appears she has to take a plane trip to Seattle, spend at least one night there, jump through some hoops, pay a lot in travel costs etc etc... and then wait 2 or 3 months to get her passport back? Ouch.....

Have any of you fared better? What is her best option for this?

She is getting a home-stay invitation letter now from her dad, but I'm not sure that her traveling there in her US Passport is the answer either! She'd have to go to OVIR in her city and stand in line to register..... what a crock.

Any thoughts on this, either way?

she needs to contact the nearby russian consulate - they are in charge of renewal of passports for russians leaving abroad

also potentially she may try and use us pasport to travel but she needs russian entry visa (inviation is needed) registration og foreigners is done at a post office - no need to go to ovir

robertmf
19-02-2012, 16:50
registration of foreigners is done at a post office - no need to go to ovir

:7534: Also at post office is SSS draft registration (http://www.sss.gov/default.htm) card and FBI 10 Most Wanted (http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten) list ;)

ilya25
20-02-2012, 01:24
:7534: Also at post office is SSS draft registration (http://www.sss.gov/default.htm) card and FBI 10 Most Wanted (http://www.fbi.gov/wanted/topten) list ;)

sorry i was taking about russian post not about us postal servce

Benedikt
20-02-2012, 11:49

Any thoughts on this, either way?[/QUOTE]

i only heard Russians talking and cursing at the consulate when i was waiting there for a visum. So, maybe if it is urged or for any other reasons, this time she should travel with her American passport. Visa documents can be down loaded from the internet and should be no problem.

Once in Russia, your wife does not have to go to the local ovir and stand in line. Registration is done now by/via the local post office. You need the filled in application and the post office does the rest. Your wife's dad has to be with her, his and her passport, that is ll, takes about 5 minutes.And the white piece of paper, the immigration card, where it shows the date (stamp) she arrived. stamps in the passport are sometimes hard to impossible to read.

olgaw
25-02-2012, 22:50
I tried to do it once, but ended up going back to Russia to have it done. The problem was that we didn't have any Russian consulate or embassy close by. You have to show up in person to apply for a new passport and to pick it up. They didn't do it by mail then (it was year 2000). I doubt they do it now.
However we live and work in Ukraine now and the Russian consulate here does passports for the Russian citizens. It takes 4 month but it is doable. I doubt she can get a Russian visa into her US passport. They usually don't give a visa to a Russian passport holders.

sashadidi
26-02-2012, 08:27
My wife's cousin lives the USA for the last ten years and always goes back to Russia to get it renewed, will ask him about it for you and report back.

sashadidi
01-03-2012, 09:45
Pm sent as well.
H,i I asked my wife's cousin in the USA and he says it takes 3 months at least normally to get the Russian travel passport renewed in the USA (it take my wife the same time here in New Zealand) he travels to moscow a lot and gets it done there in 1 month or less and sorts out his american visa at the same time.
Hope this helps you.

PJB
26-03-2012, 03:08
My husband tried to renew his passport (expires in Aug) last month in Moscow. Was told that since he lives in America (even though we still own our home in Russia) He cannot renew until he "registers" in America. When we moved to Los Angeles 3 yrs ago I thought we were done with the stupid Soviet Bureaucracy. Done standing in lines, done fighting with Russian government employees............ BUT NO! Now to renew my husband's Russian passport we have to go to the Russian Consulate in San Francisco, stand in lines (sorry, no such thing as an appointment), hope to get to the front of the line before tea break.. lunch break... shopping break, hope that the person we talk to gives us the correct form to fill out, hope the same person is there when we come back with the completed form and payment, (my favorite Russian experience is when we'd get back and be told by a different person that the first person gave us the wrong form/price and we had to start all over again) and hopefully get "The Russian Citizen Registered In America" stamp/document/whatever on the same day. Because if we have to return the next day for it there is a very good chance that it will 1) be lost, 2) be told we did it all wrong and have to start over, 3) be told it's "In Process" and we'll be notified when it's ready which mean we will spend lots of time and money waiting for months and making useless phone calls only to have to start all over again. If we actually succeed in getting this "registration" We then have to go through the whole passport application process and wait 3-6 months for his new passport.:grind:

inorcist
26-03-2012, 12:36
Just last week a Russian coworker living in Switzerland told me how he got his new Russian passport at the Russian embassy in Bern. Overall, he said it was a smooth process, took about a month and he had to go there twice - to hand in his documents and to pick them up later. The only annoying part was the fee he had to pay which was substantially higher than back in Russia. But still better than flying hence and forth.

Sounds like the same process as it was for me to get a new German passport in Moscow.

Tamilla
26-03-2012, 14:33
What city do you live in? I know that at the west coast they do it in San-Francisco

PJB
29-03-2012, 22:33
We live in Los Angeles and must go to the Russian Consulate in San Francisco (a 10 hour drive) according to their website. When Hubby was in Russia last month he asked there and they don't know anything about it except that they will not renew the passport in Russia. It sounds like we should move to Bern where it is an easy process!