PDA

View Full Version : Nation Ticked Off After a Winter of Summer Time

Judge
09-02-2012, 12:33
Maybe it wasn't such a good idea after all.My only problem is the football games finishing at 2am, even later if games go to extra time..
Nation Ticked Off After a Winter of Summer Time

"People maintain their usual regime when it comes to sleeping and eating," Meleshkova said. "In previous years [when the clocks were changed], they had difficulties when they were already hungry and it wasn't dinnertime yet, or they got tired in the evening, but it was too early to go to bed."

"When the time remains stable, people regard the change in light due to the season as more mild and gradual," she said.

Nevertheless, Prime Minister Vladimir Putin has said on more than one occasion that he may reconsider the decision. On Tuesday, he told supporters that if people felt strongly that the change was a mistake, the government may turn back the clock on the move.

Read more: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/news/article/nation-ticked-off-after-a-winter-of-summer-time/452670.html#ixzz1lsM0Tbrn
The Moscow Times

TolkoRaz
09-02-2012, 12:52
Putin listens to the people? ;)

Judge
09-02-2012, 12:58
On this one he will, just to show people that he does care..:o

Judge
09-02-2012, 13:11
TolkoRaz, Putin does care, look here.:asskiss:

http://expat.ru/forum/showthread.php?p=954821#post954821

Benedikt
09-02-2012, 13:58
On this one he will, just to show people that he does care..:o

but the business community. it is inconvenient for plane connections, the working hour of other stock exchanges and the like.
The PLAIN folks did NOT want to change in the first place, the babushkas forgot to take their tablets on time, because the cows got confused, the dogs went nervous and the like. And they for sure are quite happy as it is and it should stay this way.

andymackem
09-02-2012, 17:52
I'm with Benedikt. Too many people now find themselves an hour further away from their money.

Although personally I'll be happy to go back to the old system. Partly to get back closer to (some of) my money, but mostly so the midweek football and KHL hockey from Riga and Poprad doesn't finish quite so late. I wouldn't object to fewer mornings leaving the house in darkness as well.

TolkoRaz
09-02-2012, 23:27
It makes perfect business sense to be as close time wise to Western Europe as possible; I never really understood why he brought about this change - it can only damage trade with the Evil West :confused:

rusmeister
10-02-2012, 06:36
Personally, I prefer finding some light near the end of the day - for me the killer was always darkness descending at 3pm.

But thinking globally, I see no particular benefit to the common man from benefits to big business and global finance, mainly because these things are hostile on the whole to the common man, who is to them merely a human "resource", something to be used. Once we remove those international considerations - and what would benefit expats who want to watch foreign soccer games - then there's not much argument in favor of shifting clocks. It does traumatize and/or inconvenience people locally, most people tend to spend little time at home in the morning, as the average person goes to work somewhere. It's pretty obviously an invention of the industrial world to the benefit of those industries, not ordinary people, whom they have to CONVINCE to do this, and who, historically, never did anything like it before the twentieth century.