PDA

View Full Version : What are private teachers rates?

Bels
22-09-2007, 22:48
My second promise in starting a thread. How much do you charge for your lessons or how do you think a teacher should charge. If you can please give a one to one price or a price per student in a group.

I believe that there should be a ratio price for groups. For example a student in a group of five should pay a lot more than a student in a group of 15.

Their should also be a price for if you meet a student's home in the other end of Moscow in comparison to meeting a student near your home.

Bels
22-09-2007, 22:50
Sorry I haven't managed to successfully make this a poll. I'm totally useless in that area. But someone else is welcome to try.

Judge
23-09-2007, 02:25
I'm not having a dig at you, but why do you want to know???
Are you doing this to find out how much YOU should charge your students??

I'm pretty sure you know the rates about charging a student since you run a school.The same can be asked to people who work in any business.

Bels
23-09-2007, 11:01
Read previous posts. I've had several requests to make this an open discussion. Yes I know my rates and its to do with testing public demand. But I only know what my rates are in the Western region.

I have never stated I have run a school, but that I teach groups in one rented classroom. It would be nice to be a school but there is a lot of red tape involved and a school must be licesed in Russia. Although I hope to have one in the future.

It would be nice to know what other are charging and there are new expat teachers coming into Russia who want to know

Mvlzac
23-09-2007, 12:14
you run a school..

Well I have been in this site for not more than a month and every time it gets better and better.....

Bels
23-09-2007, 14:18
you run a school..

Well I have been in this site for not more than a month and every time it gets better and better.....

Well you better start learning to read. I've been on this site for four years and I don't need to advertise. The majority of my students are local with no advertising. And I don't run a school.

This is a sensible discussion for self employed teachers.

Mvlzac
23-09-2007, 19:36
could you teach me how to read?

please???

Mvlzac
23-09-2007, 19:40
maybe my reading is getting worse, because I think that you are talking about advertsing when no one had touched that issue...:eh: now i am a little confused...

th&vk
23-09-2007, 19:57
I am one of those teachers new to the market (or rather returning in my case) who has been eager to see this topic explored.

Iím willing to share that I recently negotiated for 1000 rubles per academic hour (small group, central location) and based on the studentsí eagerness to accept my rate I realized belatedly that perhaps I had undersold myself.

So Iíve been doing some research and this is what Iíve found. I donít know if its representative or not Ė thatís why I hope others will share. Iíve focused only on what expats with significant experience can and do charge.

Iíve seen or heard the following:

$50 per clock hour in studentís location
1000 ruble per academic hour at teacherís location
1200 rubles per academic hour, base rate, surcharge added depending on travel time to studentís location
1500 rubles per academic hour

One tutor for the TOEFL shared that she charges 1200-1500 per clock hour at the studentís location, which includes correcting sample essays.

I have also seen teachers charging half these rates Ė but that would still be more than many of the ďschoolsĒ offer.

Bels
23-09-2007, 20:10
We are talking about what teachers would charge for a lesson.

Mvlzac
23-09-2007, 20:18
And average of 24000 rubles a month if he works only 5 hours by day ((taxfree))!! This means like 50% up the average russian worker....

Guys you are so clever and professional for posting this info in a site called expatru!!!

Why not you post this outside the immigration service or tax department..... would be very helpful for the teachers who work here (and hell knows that I am not a teacher)..... at least will increase their creativity towards expats or foreigners, seems that the visa issue is getting shorter...

Really think about this...

Bels
23-09-2007, 21:22
You may have a point there. However we are talking public knowledge of price in general. Not of the personal exact amount of what someone really earns. Some of us are employed by a school and are trying to survive from low wages. But some of us are married and settled in Russia and have residential visa, entrepeneurs license and are paying Russian taxes. I am sure everyone is doing their best to be legal.

thva
25-09-2007, 14:14
I think that this was a good idea for a thread - the old version of the site had a poll like this, and I would guess that new teachers found it useful

indeed those of us who have been here a while already know what the market will allow us to charge, but this can be very useful for newcomers - if I have time in the next few days, I will try to set up a poll here to allow us to create statistics anonymously

Bels
25-09-2007, 22:04
If I remember correctly the last poll was started by Paul32. As a British council teacher I believe he is now in Spain teaching. It was an interesting post with many teachers having no idea of business and costs of time. It appeared that many were travelling all over Moscow for about £7 an academic hour hour( about 360 rublees} and sometime with unreliable customers who had changed their mind or go shopping instead.

Okay these people are probably people who are young and naive and trying to boost their poorly paid teaching income.

koshka
27-09-2007, 12:19
I'm still searching for a price which is fair to both the student and me...

I don't have a head for business. I'm a terrible negotiator, and I can't even barter at markets. Just so you know.

After some asking around, the highest rate I've heard was from Bels, at 1,500/hr. Kudos to you if you get students at that rate! I haven't had such luck. If I start at 1,000, people gawk at me in disbelief. I defend it by saying if they were to go through my school (LL) they'd be paying more than that. But they don't stop gawking. My neighbor basically told me I should be ashamed, and that 500 was a reasonable rate! Needless to say, I shuffled her out the door as politely as I could after that.

My highest paying students pay 850/hr. And I have a couple who pay 750. I won't go below that, but now I'm thinking I should start refusing even that rate. Anyone have magical words to convince people to fork out a bit more? 'Cause I don't!

Bels
27-09-2007, 17:58
I'll be back with more on this, very liitle time. But one reason I give because I have groups and I am also asked to give one to one for special cases reluctantly. I tell them that you have choice, join a group or pay at least 5 times the amount. It's very logical. My current students are 1000p but it is now 1500 because I have few hours left to fill. I call it overtime rate, they take it or leave it as I am busy enough. And I prefer groups.

SalTheReturn
27-09-2007, 18:08

I don't have a head for business. I'm a terrible negotiator, and I can't even barter at markets. Just so you know.

After some asking around, the highest rate I've heard was from Bels, at 1,500/hr. Kudos to you if you get students at that rate! I haven't had such luck. If I start at 1,000, people gawk at me in disbelief. I defend it by saying if they were to go through my school (LL) they'd be paying more than that. But they don't stop gawking. My neighbor basically told me I should be ashamed, and that 500 was a reasonable rate! Needless to say, I shuffled her out the door as politely as I could after that.

My highest paying students pay 850/hr. And I have a couple who pay 750. I won't go below that, but now I'm thinking I should start refusing even that rate. Anyone have magical words to convince people to fork out a bit more? 'Cause I don't!

look i sincerely suggest you not to believe many of the amounts of money people state in here

the rates you are getting are ok, just set the minimum at 750py, present some kind of cancellation policy to your clients, and you will be fine

if there are people charging more than 1000py per hour, they have surely hooked up with high paying customer who often pay the teacher with the company cash

Judge
27-09-2007, 19:17

I know a few teachers here in Moscow and none of them get less than 1000 ru for 60 mins.Set your rate and stick by it,if the students think it's too much then let them look somewhere else.If you are short of work then take what you can,but when work starts to come,make sure you get what you want.

SalTheReturn
27-09-2007, 20:06
I know a few teachers here in Moscow and none of them get less than 1000 ru for 60 mins.Set your rate and stick by it,if the students think it's too much then let them look somewhere else.If you are short of work then take what you can,but when work starts to come,make sure you get what you want.

yes 1000py per 60mins it is ok and possible, but apparently they are people claiming they get paid up to 1500py per ac.hour!!!

Judge
27-09-2007, 20:16
yes 1000py per 60mins it is ok and possible, but apparently they are people claiming they get paid up to 1500py per ac.hour!!!

If a teacher needs to travel far,lets say down south and a 20 min bus ride , 2000 ru an hour is fair.The time it takes a teacher to get to someones flat or office should be added to the price.
This isn't just for people who teach english,i know an italian teacher and he doesn't take anything less than 1500 ru for 90 mins,no matter where the place is.
It also depends on the student,if a student can afford 1500 ru (60 mins) and is happy with the teacher then that is ok.

Bels
27-09-2007, 21:56

When I first started in Moscow region I charged £12 an academic hour (50 rublees x 12) = 600p.

The great thing about Moscow is that you are probably living in an area clustered with thousands of popoulation in a small space. This is due to the blocks of flats that you live in. This is your best market, and you should develop this as a native speaking teacher. Hopefully there are not too many natives competing with you in that area. If you can, it would be a good idea to decorate your flat and design your living room like a classroom, perhaps start with five students in a group. The best time to advertise is a month before September. Best to accept all age groups and levels. Alternatively rent a room or classroom within a school with the advantage of already attracting potential students and pupils.

You may well start at a low fee at first but as they keep coming in you raise the fee due to your personal reputation. Never refuse others because you are too busy, but put them on awaiting list for a higher price next season

So even though I dont want want one to one there are people who feel they are a special case and need one to one. In this case they must pay the price

Judge
27-09-2007, 22:00
Bels, about my earlier post in this thread,after giving it some thought(no drinks buzzing my brain) this is a cool thread,it will help a few teachers who are thinking about teaching here or are new to and starting to work alone,away from rip off schools.

Bels
27-09-2007, 22:01
If a teacher needs to travel far,lets say down south and a 20 min bus ride , 2000 ru an hour is fair.The time it takes a teacher to get to someones flat or office should be added to the price.
This isn't just for people who teach english,i know an italian teacher and he doesn't take anything less than 1500 ru for 90 mins,no matter where the place is.
It also depends on the student,if a student can afford 1500 ru (60 mins) and is happy with the teacher then that is ok.

I believe you can only get 1500 rublees an academic hour by local reputation and word of mouth. This is an area that rUSSIANS BELIEVE IN. but if you are seen by them as simply a native for speaking practice then the fee will be smaller.

Judge
27-09-2007, 22:08
Word of mouth is the best way but there is one downer with this.

Lets say i charge a student a 1000ru for a hour,the person my student tells will also expect to pay a 1000ru.

Bels
27-09-2007, 22:21
No doubt you will get many refusals at 1000 ruplees if you haven,t developed a clientele. To begin with you may have to start with lower prices and develop your reputation. I only charged this price because I didn't want one to one. But they kept asking and eventually gave in to this price. People normally ask for one to one because they cannot fit into group prices for many reasons.And one to one is a price that not everyone can afford. YES. It's a luxury.

SalTheReturn
27-09-2007, 22:21

1500 per 90 mins??? what has this example to do with those charging 1500py per ac hour?

it is also tecnically wrong (but if they pay you, why not?) to charge for transportation time, all jobs do not cover your transportation time...as someone told me once "you are teachers for gods sake not world famous lawyers"

Bels
27-09-2007, 22:25
Word of mouth is the best way but there is one downer with this.

Lets say i charge a student a 1000ru for a hour,the person my student tells will also expect to pay a 1000ru.

It's a plus. I remember buying my son special nike football boots at £180 so he could play better in league football much better. All his friends wanted them instead of their £30 football boots. Do you teach MARKET LEADER ? You yourself might learn something along with your students.

Bels
27-09-2007, 22:27
I believe this is true. Especially in my recent xperience of teaching in Summer Schools in Britain. Teachers can be the most academically intelligent and knowledgable people in the world. But the lousiest of businessmen.

Bels
27-09-2007, 22:45
1500 per 90 mins??? what has this example to do with those charging 1500py per ac hour?

it is also tecnically wrong (but if they pay you, why not?) to charge for transportation time, all jobs do not cover your transportation time...as someone told me once "you are teachers for gods sake not world famous lawyers"

We are providing the biggest market of export and import in the Uk. The English language, which is much bigger than oil. If we have a reputation of results then we should expect an income that matches any top paid expat in Moscow. the fees should include the perks that expats get, such as accomadation, health cover, visa and invitation costs, etc.

Bels
27-09-2007, 22:49

Once you have developed your clientele, and you get more that exceed your hours required. Then, you may start charging higher. Supply and demand we call it. Get safe first then risk the higher prices. Keep seeking your customers even when you are busy. There is something wrong if you are not busy in September.

Judge
27-09-2007, 22:53

The 1500 ru for 90 mins is an example what an italian teacher can charge here,not just an english teacher.English is in demand, more than italian,so if an italian is charging 1500ru for 90 mins then an english teacher could expect the same or even more.

Sal, i posting this to help koshka with what he should charge.

I like this.... "you are teachers for gods sake not world famous lawyers":applause::applause::applause:

Judge
27-09-2007, 22:57
It's a plus. I remember buying my son special nike football boots at £180 so he could play better in league football much better. All his friends wanted them instead of their £30 football boots. Do you teach MARKET LEADER ? You yourself might learn something along with your students.

I'm moving away from Market Leader, pretty boring doing the same thing over and over again.

I lost two students this summer because i charged them more than their friend.It didn't bother me that they didn't want to pay more than the one who told them about me,i easily fill up my time.

Bels
27-09-2007, 23:01
I like it also :0 Teacher for gods sake in the English language.

However we must bear in mind that although English is the first second language in the world, I talian is the third second to Spanish. An Italian will have less competition and is still a popular language. Keep the prices up and don't disrespect us all in this great demand for the hunger of learning languages. And get rid of these damn cheap schools looking for cheap teachers.

SalTheReturn
28-09-2007, 05:22
I like it also :0 Teacher for gods sake in the English language.

However we must bear in mind that although English is the first second language in the world, I talian is the third second to Spanish. An Italian will have less competition and is still a popular language. Keep the prices up and don't disrespect us all in this great demand for the hunger of learning languages. And get rid of these damn cheap schools looking for cheap teachers.

the head of italian school in moscow told his teacher not to charge less than 900py per ac hour

italian in moscow is more important than spanish

Bels
28-09-2007, 21:22
I'm moving away from Market Leader, pretty boring doing the same thing over and over again.

I lost two students this summer because i charged them more than their friend.It didn't bother me that they didn't want to pay more than the one who told them about me,i easily fill up my time.

You will get that, continue trying to be the best within yourself. In using Market Leader you dont entirely use it as the text book says, you find out students needs and interest. Don't concentrate on the grammar if it's not necessary. My students finf=d the authentic material difficult but an interesting to understand it and then interesting to discuss it. But they are business people. I have a very bright 14 year old girl who in the past found English interesting with my groups. I moved her ahead and put her in an Intermediate group because I didn't have anything elso for her. She fins it boring but sheunderstands. It's just a mistake I made. If I can I would like her in a group of intermediate in Snapshot. But I don't have this group for the moment.

I think interests are strongly British in Market Leader. If an American teacher doesn't find it intersting then the teacher won't get it across to the students.

Judge
29-09-2007, 11:16
You will get that, continue trying to be the best within yourself. In using Market Leader you dont entirely use it as the text book says, you find out students needs and interest. Don't concentrate on the grammar if it's not necessary. My students finf=d the authentic material difficult but an interesting to understand it and then interesting to discuss it. But they are business people. I have a very bright 14 year old girl who in the past found English interesting with my groups. I moved her ahead and put her in an Intermediate group because I didn't have anything elso for her. She fins it boring but sheunderstands. It's just a mistake I made. If I can I would like her in a group of intermediate in Snapshot. But I don't have this group for the moment.

I think interests are strongly British in Market Leader. If an American teacher doesn't find it intersting then the teacher won't get it across to the students.

Market Leader does have a few good ideas and is pretty good to start students off in business english.Now i'm using a book called Business Options.

koshka
05-10-2007, 13:49
I'm as busy as I want to be. I've got my full-time company schedule and a few privates.

I've got a good reputation with my students-- it's not that I can't find work, it's just that everyone wants it for cheap-- or they want a special deal for being the friend of a friend, or for some favor they think they've done me, etc...

I mean look, I like teaching English just fine, but I have trouble getting that worked up about it. I don't want to rearrange my apartment for it let alone my life. I've always looked at work as an irksome distraction, which is one of many reasons why I'll probably never be rich. But since I have to work, I just want to be fairly compensated, that's all.

p.s. LL came quite close to grovelling for me to stay for another contract, and it was satisfying to say haha too little too late, and stick it to them for once:)

SalTheReturn
05-10-2007, 13:56
I'm as busy as I want to be. I've got my full-time company schedule and a few privates.

I've got a good reputation with my students-- it's not that I can't find work, it's just that everyone wants it for cheap-- or they want a special deal for being the friend of a friend, or for some favor they think they've done me, etc...

I mean look, I like teaching English just fine, but I have trouble getting that worked up about it. I don't want to rearrange my apartment for it let alone my life. I've always looked at work as an irksome distraction, which is one of many reasons why I'll probably never be rich. But since I have to work, I just want to be fairly compensated, that's all.

p.s. LL came quite close to grovelling for me to stay for another contract, and it was satisfying to say haha too little too late, and stick it to them for once:)

well, whoever over18yo and stayed with them for longer than one contract (fool me once but not twice for gods sake!!!)he/she has serious lack of ambitions

xSnoofovich
05-10-2007, 14:42

Nice post.
I find it interesting that you reply to Judge with " If an American teacher doesn't find it intersting (SIC)(,) then the teacher won't get it across to the students. " when Judge is British.

I believe that Judge has used Market Leader now for several years, and I also believe that anyone would find it boring to repeat the same material 4x a day 5 days a week, for several years in a row.

I don't use Market Leader anymore either. Maybe the new/old now purple version with a few students, which might be advanced or proficiency, I forget.

SalTheReturn
05-10-2007, 15:00
Nice post.
I find it interesting that you reply to Judge with " If an American teacher doesn't find it intersting (SIC)(,) then the teacher won't get it across to the students. " when Judge is British.

I believe that Judge has used Market Leader now for several years, and I also believe that anyone would find it boring to repeat the same material 4x a day 5 days a week, for several years in a row.

I don't use Market Leader anymore either. Maybe the new/old now purple version with a few students, which might be advanced or proficiency, I forget.

actually the best thing of teaching that your lesson plans can be used over the years and this is why i store them on digital format and save it as if they were a precious treasure. of course your customers must always be satisfies with the service delivered.

Bels
06-10-2007, 22:39
I am one of those teachers new to the market (or rather returning in my case) who has been eager to see this topic explored.

I’m willing to share that I recently negotiated for 1000 rubles per academic hour (small group, central location) and based on the students’ eagerness to accept my rate I realized belatedly that perhaps I had undersold myself.

So I’ve been doing some research and this is what I’ve found. I don’t know if its representative or not – that’s why I hope others will share. I’ve focused only on what expats with significant experience can and do charge.

I’ve seen or heard the following:

$50 per clock hour in student’s location
1000 ruble per academic hour at teacher’s location
1200 rubles per academic hour, base rate, surcharge added depending on travel time to student’s location
1500 rubles per academic hour

One tutor for the TOEFL shared that she charges 1200-1500 per clock hour at the student’s location, which includes correcting sample essays.

I have also seen teachers charging half these rates – but that would still be more than many of the “schools” offer.

Firstly, I'm based in West regional Moscow, but I hope that you didn't mean 1000 rublees for a group. No wonder they jumped on it depending on how many there were in that group. And in the centre? How much did the renting cost for the room?

1000 rublees per academic hour appears to be the norm for one to one. But excluding any travelling. I would only do it it in my own walking distance locality.

When you are busy anyway and in a position where your students don't want the group classes on offer, then yes it's 1,500 rublees.

Any teachers who charge less lack confidence or experience.

Bels
25-03-2008, 18:26
I can now confirm that for freelancers or private teachers, that the going rate to charge is now 1500 rublees per academic. It makes no difference whether you are teaching gruops or one to one. That is now my normal price, and nobody's quibbling over it. And I don't travel anywhere except a five minute walk to my local classroom.

Amusing:) there is a recent thread above this one offering $45 an hour for Brits for just a few hours, and $35 an hour for American natives and non-native teachers :evilgrin:

Ryabenko
27-03-2008, 11:43
Hmm, my rate for English lessons is roughly the same (700-1000 for 2 ac. hours) but I charge a bit more for Russian as a foreign language. Given my 3-year experience, I should increase it for sure.

Bels
27-03-2008, 12:44
I stated 1500p per academic hour.£30 or $60 an academic hour. What you are charging is far too low for a native.

Bels
22-07-2009, 15:57
In view of below thread this thread is worth reviving.

baudrillard2
16-08-2009, 11:47
In view of below thread this thread is worth reviving.

I'm looking for 2800 for 90 mins if its in an inconvenient location (perhaps even more if its really really inconvenient.) 2000 for 90 mins if its just a few stops on the metro. I've already been working in Moscow for a number of years, and a few years ago (i see this thread is pretty old) i charged much less.

Bels
16-08-2009, 13:01
A few years ago the potential was higher. There were a lot more customers available. Even so I am currently getting in the western region of Moscow 1500 roubles per clock hour. A typical student,perhaps a small familywould have two hours per lesson three times per week.

Obviously only the wealthy can afford to pay for one to one fees. Hence it is also a good idea to somehow offer lessons with small groups to make it more affordable. Same price but costs split amongst the group.

elias
24-08-2009, 00:51
There are people -- Russians and native speakers -- charging 1500 rub per 90 minutes, and that -- I would say -- normally doesn't include essay correction, but from my experience, I should say bottom price ought not go below 50 euros per 90 min, be it student location or teacher location.

Bels
24-08-2009, 20:31
Very true if its the local working class who are asking you. Let's be honest about it , I can't afford one to one lessons. The ones that gawk at you ask them to join a group if they can't afford it. Let's be fair, you are not asking for much as a native speaking teacher teaching English, when you have a family to keep. In fact once I am safely busy, I charge 2000 roubles.

Will
25-08-2009, 18:42
I don't have a head for business. I'm a terrible negotiator, and I can't even barter at markets. Just so you know. Anyone have magical words to convince people to fork out a bit more? 'Cause I don't!

It's a tricky one, and I don't have that much to add to what has been said beyond a few personal tricks.
Obviously it's dependent on the students and your own level of desperation: I have one old loyal student who pays me 2000 for 90 minutes, but he will also pay me a few thousand dollars in advance when I need it and most lessons are spent in nice restaurants where he pays. Apart from him I don't drop below 3000 for 90 minutes now if they are willing to come to me or they are in a convenient place. Getting above 3000 for 60 mins is not that difficult and those who write here that it's unrealistic are mistaken. 2000 for ninety minutes is not an unreasonable price for a successful professional student, even post crisis, but your TEFL scissors and relentless cheerfulness are not going to earn that.
A suit is very helpful, as is a sales patter of sorts. Value for money comes a poor second to quality in the minds of most Russians, the key words in marketing here are "exclusive, prestige, unique" not "bargain, value or discount" as they are in the west and even relatively poor people buy brands that I'd consider way out of my range. So being able to persuade someone of your professionalism is key, when you have taught them for a few lessons you can relax and start to look like a homeless guy.
Other tricks are to meet them in their office or in a nice cafe, don't let them see your underwear strewn flat in Domodyedovskaya until they like you. When you meet ask if they came on the metro, and when they sneeringly laugh at the very notion, join them in their car love and ask what they drive. If it's a Zhiguli wish them well and run, a Toyota should guarantee 3000 an hour and if it's a Bentley explain that what they really need to do is take a teacher the next time they take their charter jet to the Bahamas. What they do for a living determines what you get for teaching them, so ask.
And look attentively at their clothes, as they will look at yours.
It's all cynical and a little ugly, but then so are rent prices here. As I say, it's sales, and so confidence, soberness and the ability to answer their questions quickly and intelligently are important.
Also tell them quite frankly that they can find a cheaper teacher, don't sell yourself as a bargain option, but as the best option, whether you are or not.
Also grasping that only about 30 -40% of chances will come to fruition will save a lot of worry.
If I'd read that lot when I was new I would have thought this Will guy an arrogant bastard, and I do know how hard it is to do this stuff, I had to get sales guys to teach me how to sell while I was teaching them how to speak, and even so I feel uncomfortable when doing this stuff. But for me it's a matter of having high paying students so that I can work less and give my time to things that matter more, and of course the longer you have taught and been here the more you have to sell, 20 year old new teachers will struggle more, but do aim higher.

Turns out I had loads to add.

Bels
25-08-2009, 18:59
THat's the secret. You need plenty of responses in the first place. So sort that area out first, get promoting yourself wherever you can.

Very true, 30-40% of enquiries willrefuse fees from 1500 to 2000 roubles. It all depends from who is enquiring. At a guess I would say that 20% of enquiries are competitors. Your market should be the wealthy or you should have the facilities to teach in groups. Got some teenagers or their parents making enquiries and they discover they can't afford it? Why not ask them to find some friends who are also interested to group together. This sort of pursuasion does work.

Another strength is keeping your own local territory and reputation strong, it's your reputation that will sell you, and increase your cusomers year after year after year.

I must admit this year might be the toughest compared to the previous five years :) But I am keeping my fingers crossed, and I will let you know if its still going as good in the next few weeks.

Sorry I will correct as more likely 50% of enquiries will refuse, as many of them will be the competition or just time wasters. So you you need to promote yourself as much as you can to get fully booked with that 50%