PDA

View Full Version : English-speaking friends (British preferably) needed

Clairbe
24-01-2012, 02:18
Hi guys
I'm looking for a friend (man or woman, doesn't matter) for offline communication. Just have come back from London where spent a month, and trying to chat with my friends there found out that my spoken English is quite poor, much worse than written one. As a matter of fact it's a lack of practice of course - I read pretty much, watch films without translation etc, but having only Russian friends don’t speak English at all while in Moscow. As I am planning to move to England in some time, I really have to give a loose to my tongue, and also get used to the way native speakers talk. I need not tutors, I really want just to find friends here among British people, that I am very interested in. Sorry, guys from other countries, I have nothing against others of course, it's just question of language - foreigners often adopt the accent and vocabulary of those whom they talk with. I'd like to make friends with someone intelligent, interesting, with good sense of humour, for coffee talks, having drinks, going out, and all usual things the friends do. I'm in my 30's, working in publishing, very friendly, loyal, love art, cinema, theatre, nights out and nights in, having fun and good conversation. Would be glad to speak Russian to you as well if you need the practice, and help with other aspects of life in Moscow.

markmarkov
26-01-2012, 20:04
hmmm... so...
American native speakers are not wanted? :D

Jack17
26-01-2012, 20:29
hmmm... so...
That's not how I read it markmarkov; I think Clairbe just wants to omit the consonant "T" from her English. Just a li'le bi' . . .mind you!

NotMe
26-01-2012, 21:44
Hi guys
I'm looking for a friend (man or woman, doesn't matter) for offline communication. Just have come back from London where spent a month, and trying to chat with my friends there found out that my spoken English is quite poor, much worse than written one. As a matter of fact it's a lack of practice of course - I read pretty much, watch films without translation etc, but having only Russian friends don’t speak English at all while in Moscow. As I am planning to move to England in some time, I really have to give a loose to my tongue, and also get used to the way native speakers talk.

Hi Clairbe :)

There are a lot of interesting people here which speak perfect English and I am sure that you will find what you wish.

But it could take time, so probably you should start to communicate with your English friends by Skype to improve your spoken English without losing time? :)

Clairbe
26-01-2012, 23:46
That's not how I read it markmarkov; I think Clairbe just wants to omit the consonant "T" from her English. Just a li'le bi' . . .mind you!

Yep, Jack17, that's right, you got it! I just dont wanna stand out at English pardy! I gonna be like them! I'm not kidding.:D
Ok, I'm kidding, of course. By the way, you maybe don't even guess how hard to understand British pronunciation sometimes for non native-speakers (or for me at least). Americans speak much clearer.

Clairbe
26-01-2012, 23:56
hmmm... so...

Why not?:) I don't mind. If it was a suggestion, of course.

Jack17
26-01-2012, 23:57
Americans speak much clearer.

Yes, I agree and thank you; we Americans do speak much more clearly.

American English is much clearer than English English. Odd, isn't it?

Clairbe
27-01-2012, 00:17
Hi Clairbe :)

There are a lot of interesting people here which speak perfect English and I am sure that you will find what you wish.

But it could take time, so probably you should start to communicate with your English friends by Skype to improve your spoken English without losing time? :)

Hi, NotMe, thanks for the encouragement.:)
Well, actually I already do it, just try to use any possibility, including chatting by Skype (though I find it a bit boring, to be honest). And it can't replace offline communication, in my opinion.

MickeyTong
27-01-2012, 00:32

Most peculiar.

Hugh Laurie: the British accent vs the American - YouTube

Jack17
27-01-2012, 00:38
Ya gotta love Ellen.

MickeyTong
27-01-2012, 00:43
Ya gotta love English.

A Bit of Fry and Laurie...Tricky Linguistics - YouTube

Clairbe
27-01-2012, 00:56
[/QUOTE]American English is much clearer than English English. Odd, isn't it?[/QUOTE]

I can't judge is it odd or not. And I'm not talking about 'clearness' of American English, I just said American English sounds more clearly for me. Do you feel the difference? :)

Jack17
27-01-2012, 01:05
Well, maybe if I heard it rather than just read it from you I could feel the difference.:thumbsup:

Clairbe
27-01-2012, 01:20
Well, maybe if I heard it rather than just read it from you I could feel the difference.:thumbsup:

I'm sure you could.:)

Clairbe
27-01-2012, 01:37
Thanks, MickeyTong. :thumbsup:
Hugh Laurie and Ellen are both fantastic.

PeteD
27-01-2012, 01:55

What rubbish! :irule:

Hi Clairbe! Welcome to the madhouse!

NOBODY speaks better ENGLISH than I do!

Clairbe
27-01-2012, 02:32
What rubbish! :irule:

Hi Clairbe! Welcome to the madhouse!

NOBODY speaks better ENGLISH than I do!

Hi
Oh really, you do? How lucky I am!:)

Francesco2005
27-01-2012, 09:48
Clairbe, I like the way you call it: offline communication...Sounds interesting))

markmarkov
27-01-2012, 12:19
Why not?:) I don't mind. If it was a suggestion, of course.

I hate to burst your bubble but it clearly says in your original post that you DO mind :D
<<I really want just to find friends here among British people, that I am very interested in. Sorry, guys from other countries...>>
This clearly says, with no room for interpretation, Brits ONLY and NOBODY else :D

Clairbe
28-01-2012, 03:32
I hate to burst your bubble but it clearly says in your original post that you DO mind :D
<<I really want just to find friends here among British people, that I am very interested in. Sorry, guys from other countries...>>
This clearly says, with no room for interpretation, Brits ONLY and NOBODY else :D

My original post implies that I would like to meet British, and I've explained the reason. But in general I don't mind to meet people from other countries, of course. You bothered to ask - I gave the answer.:)

Clairbe
28-01-2012, 03:40
Clairbe, I like the way you call it: offline communication...Sounds interesting))

It's just the way I put it.:)

Rhubard Geoff
28-01-2012, 09:02
If you are posting on here at at 03.30 it must have been a good night out! Hope you learned some English as well.

Francesco2005
28-01-2012, 10:12
Clairbe, with your recent trip to London in mind, what do you see as the biggest obstacle to your successful integration into the contemporary British society? Language proficiency, cultural awareness?

Clairbe
29-01-2012, 00:30
Clairbe, with your recent trip to London in mind, what do you see as the biggest obstacle to your successful integration into the contemporary British society? Language proficiency, cultural awareness?

I think language point, in the first place. After all, if you even know the history and culture of the country better than any local, or are a super professional in your field it still won't help you to integrate without a decent knowledge of language. Speaking fluent English means to be able to express yourself to the full. And regarding cultural context - in my experience, you will learn a lot of things just mixing with locals.

Clairbe
29-01-2012, 00:56
If you are posting on here at at 03.30 it must have been a good night out! Hope you learned some English as well.

Yes, it was very good, but as I've met with my Russian friends, my English was useless!

Francesco2005
30-01-2012, 08:07
In your opinion, can a migrant in a foreign country ever get rid of language deficiency? Like, e.g. Mr.Abramovich, after living about 6 years in Britain, was still unable to express himself in court...

whiterussian
30-01-2012, 16:51
British English pronunciation is much easier for us Russians. I remember when I was in college in New York, our American English teacher said, "we Americans say thirty, but British say thirTy", and then she added, "of course it is much harder to say thirty the British way". I immediately replied that it was much easier for me to say “thirTy” than “thirDy” and I even asked, “is it like “D” or “R” instead of a “T”? She wasn’t sure and after some thinking said, “it’s probably more like a D”, which is not exactly true of course. American English is tough :)

jumpingbean1979
30-01-2012, 17:34
I'm an English expat living in Moscow, and I have been told by my Russian colleges that I speak clear English.
So if you'd like to chat - feel free to pm me.

Francesco2005
30-01-2012, 23:40
It seems that American English is easier to understand because in American speech the emphasis is on vowels, whereas in British dialects the consonants are usually clearly pronounced and vowels are modified or omitted.

Jack17
31-01-2012, 00:00
British English pronunciation is much easier for us Russians. I remember when I was in college in New York, our American English teacher said, "we Americans say thirty, but British say thirTy", and then she added, "of course it is much harder to say thirty the British way". I immediately replied that it was much easier for me to say “thirTy” than “thirDy” and I even asked, “is it like “D” or “R” instead of a “T”? She wasn’t sure and after some thinking said, “it’s probably more like a D”, which is not exactly true of course. American English is tough :)
Well, that's not really true, except for Her Majesty ERII and a few members of Her immediate family like Tony Blair.

I would say 99.999% of Brits pronounce the word thirty as thir-y. Anyway, for Clairbe, all I can say is - enjoy your exclusively Bri-ish compny.

Clairbe
31-01-2012, 00:35
In your opinion, can a migrant in a foreign country ever get rid of language deficiency? Like, e.g. Mr.Abramovich, after living about 6 years in Britain, was still unable to express himself in court...

I suppose if you are Abramovich you can avoid many problems which migrants usually face, and language maybe the easiest one :). Probably he just hasen't got any motivation for studing English? Anyway what good about being unable to speak English in public after 6 years in Britain? To me language is important thing for integration.
What do you think about it, Francesco2005? If some expat, for instance, comes to Russia and is going to stay here long enough, should he start to learn Russian? We could even not to take into consideration that the language just is necessary for a work (in case of Britain), let us assume that our expat is working for a foreign company where everyone speaks English.

Clairbe
31-01-2012, 00:52
Well, that's not really true, except for Her Majesty ERII and a few members of Her immediate family like Tony Blair.

I would say 99.999% of Brits pronounce the word thirty as thir-y. Anyway, for Clairbe, all I can say is - enjoy your exclusively Bri-ish compny.

Thank you, Jack17. You are so kind. I must say as the first English-speaking country I have visited was US, fortunately I know that there is a lot of truly kind people there.:)
How did it happen that my post about finding friends turned into a very strange discussion about British and American pronunciation?:confused1:

meri
31-01-2012, 01:01

My original post implies that I would like to meet British, and I've explained the reason. But in general I don't mind to meet people from other countries, of course. You bothered to ask - I gave the answer.:)

It's a pity that you only want guys and Brits so I am off your communication zone:thumbsup:
Don't get offended but when you read between the lines this is the conclusion I get :book:
Maybe you'd better tell us "what you want you really really want " :mml::7534:

Clairbe
31-01-2012, 01:40
It's a pity that you only want guys and Brits so I am off your communication zone:thumbsup:

Don't get offended but when you read between the lines this is the conclusion I get :book:

Hi Meri
No, it's not true - I DON'T want only guys.:) I mean both males and females.

No, I don't get offended, but there is nothing between the lines :). Maybe I was even too straight.

I already did it.:) I said what I really want. In details.

Clairbe
31-01-2012, 11:57
I'm an English expat living in Moscow, and I have been told by my Russian colleges that I speak clear English.
So if you'd like to chat - feel free to pm me.

It would be great, thanks! I've already sent a pm to you.

Raymond Virgill
31-01-2012, 12:51
English is English....

Francesco2005
01-02-2012, 10:06
If some expat, for instance, comes to Russia and is going to stay here long enough, should he start to learn Russian? We could even not to take into consideration that the language just is necessary for a work (in case of Britain), let us assume that our expat is working for a foreign company where everyone speaks English.

If an expat is going to leave the country one day, learning a local language is advisable but not a must. But if you intend to settle down in a country, and our discussion started with that in view, there is no choice. You'll have to deal with employer, colleagues, customers, neighbors, government officials, etc. How much time do you think it will take to reach an acceptable level for an average person?

NotMe
01-02-2012, 20:21

Each of us read between the lines what s/he wants to read, because what is not written can be read only in one's mind. :p

robertmf
01-02-2012, 20:30
Each of us read between the lines what s/he wants to read, because what is not written can be read only in one's mind. :p

Women can't decide anything. They never mean what they say and they always contradict themselves. I've developed a translation table based on conversations I've had with just a few of the many women in my life:

Translation Table:

When they say: Oh, that's interesting.
What they mean: I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Let's have sex.

When they say: That's cool, I like that too.
What they mean: We don't have anything in common, but I'm going to pretend to like some of the things you like so we can have sex.

When they say: I miss you.
What they mean: I'm horny.

When they say: Nothing's wrong.
What they mean: Pack your bags, because you're going on a one-way guilt trip.

When they say: I love you.
What they mean: For the time being. I'm flaky, so check back two weeks from now, I don't know what the hell love means so I might just change my mind, and besides, I want to have sex and this will give me some leverage.

When they say: How's it going?
What they mean: I'm the center of the universe, don't bother telling me, it won't make a difference. I just want to make it look like I'm not a cold-hearted sex fiend.

When they say: I'm fat.
What they mean: Give me compliments, asshole.

When they say: I care about you.
What they mean: I care about me. Let's have sex.

When they say: Nothing.
What they mean: I wonder if he wants to have sex.

meri
01-02-2012, 20:45

Thumbs up on this one :shamp:

NotMe
01-02-2012, 20:56
Women can't decide anything. They never mean what they say and they always contradict themselves. I've developed a translation table based on conversations I've had with just a few of the many women in my life:

Translation Table:

When they say: Oh, that's interesting.
What they mean: I don't know what the hell you're talking about. Let's have sex.

When they say: That's cool, I like that too.
What they mean: We don't have anything in common, but I'm going to pretend to like some of the things you like so we can have sex.

When they say: I miss you.
What they mean: I'm horny.

When they say: Nothing's wrong.
What they mean: Pack your bags, because you're going on a one-way guilt trip.

When they say: I love you.
What they mean: For the time being. I'm flaky, so check back two weeks from now, I don't know what the hell love means so I might just change my mind, and besides, I want to have sex and this will give me some leverage.

When they say: How's it going?
What they mean: I'm the center of the universe, don't bother telling me, it won't make a difference. I just want to make it look like I'm not a cold-hearted sex fiend.

When they say: I care about you.
What they mean: I care about me. Let's have sex.

When they say: Nothing.
What they mean: I wonder if he wants to have sex.

LOL!:D

It looks like someone missed punctuation marks somewhere (" ");)

Jack17
01-02-2012, 22:09
Probably the wisest, most accurate post I've ever read anywhere. Profound. Robert, you've finally answered the eternal question and uncovered what it is that women really want: sex.

Clairbe
03-02-2012, 01:33
If an expat is going to leave the country one day, learning a local language is advisable but not a must. But if you intend to settle down in a country, and our discussion started with that in view, there is no choice. You'll have to deal with employer, colleagues, customers, neighbors, government officials, etc.

Yes, agree.

How much time do you think it will take to reach an acceptable level for an average person?

It depends on many things, I think: the background of the average person, his or her eagerness, talent for languages, motivation, etc.

rumple_stilskin
03-02-2012, 03:19
Hi Clairbe,

Another possibility - You have been watching a lot of american TV or movies and have become accustomed to the American accent, as Hollywood is in America and has been dominating the movie making business for decades.

So now when you listen to American TV, or when you briefly meet American people, you find it easier to understand the accent you are already familiar with.

no?

rumple_stilskin
03-02-2012, 03:22

Thumbs up on this one :shamp:

Have you tried agreeing with them?

Clairbe
04-02-2012, 02:54
Hi Clairbe,

Another possibility - You have been watching a lot of american TV or movies and have become accustomed to the American accent, as Hollywood is in America and has been dominating the movie making business for decades.

So now when you listen to American TV, or when you briefly meet American people, you find it easier to understand the accent you are already familiar with.

no?

Yes, I agree that American accent is dominating in movies because of Hollywood production, and this can be one of the reasons why I find American English easier – simply got used to hear it. Also Francesco2005 gave here a quite reasonable explanation - that is based on phonetic differences between American and British pronunciation - of why British can be more difficult for some foreigners.

But to tell the truth, I don’t much care about the reasons and explanations, what I want is to meet people, make friends and finally speak English, not speak about English.;)

Jack17
04-02-2012, 07:23
Nothing personal Clairbe, but I've poked fun at your request because (intentionally or not) it implies a certain exclusivity to the British. Now, I'm certain all our British friends feel that's certainly justified; but what if I posted a thread, "Russian-speaking friends (St. Petersburgh preferably) needed." How would all the Moschvichi feel? Anyway, I wish you well in your search; you should have no problem because there are plenty of Brits in Moskva; only, be careful because all the ones I know are rather rapacious buggers.

sigmund
05-02-2012, 08:00
Yes, I agree that American accent is dominating in movies because of Hollywood production, and this can be one of the reasons why I find American English easier – simply got used to hear it. Also Francesco2005 gave here a quite reasonable explanation - that is based on phonetic differences between American and British pronunciation - of why British can be more difficult for some foreigners.

But to tell the truth, I don’t much care about the reasons and explanations, what I want is to meet people, make friends and finally speak English, not speak about English.;)

It doesn't matter who you speak with: British, American, Australian, South African, or whatever. Your English will never sound like any of those accents, never. The best chance you have is to be able to speak at all, so that people living in those countries could understand you. If your goal is to be able to speak English, then watch a lot of movies (better yet, some long-running TV series, like Star Trek or something), emerge yourlself into it, feel like you are there, and then speak outloud as much as possible. Or find a guy here who will marry you and then knock yourself out speaking all the English you ever wanted :)

Accent is not your priority. You will always have Russian accent, regadless of if you say "T", "D", or "R" for the same letter. How do I know? Because I can speak all those accents and I still sound like a Russian...... Although once in Daytona Beach, FL I was asked at a restaurant if I was British..... they don't see much foreigners over there and they don't really know geography either, so I guess British for them is as foreign as it goes :)

Francesco2005
05-02-2012, 12:06
Apart from accent, there are basically four issues here: 1) listening comprehension. Take,e.g. recent War horse movie...Do you guys find it easy to understand? 2) clarity of speech. Often we do not follow stress and intonation patterns and this makes our speech not intelligible enough. 4) Poor knowledge of grammar, hence we make mistakes in grammar and use a small number of grammar structures. 3) Idiomatic usage. We are limited in our ability to understand and make appropriate use of idioms... therefore we tend to sound unsophisticated...

sigmund
05-02-2012, 12:38
Apart from accent, there are basically four issues here: 1) listening comprehension. Take,e.g. recent War horse movie...Do you guys find it easy to understand? 2) clarity of speech. Often we do not follow stress and intonation patterns and this makes our speech not intelligible enough. 4) Poor knowledge of grammar, hence we make mistakes in grammar and use a small number of grammar structures. 3) Idiomatic usage. We are limited in our ability to understand and make appropriate use of idioms... therefore we tend to sound unsophisticated...
Based on my personal experience:

1. Listening comprehension -- 3 to 6 months watching American movies or TV series (better) does it. Quit your job, lock yourself in a room and watch those movies. I learned my English by watching The Honeymooners, The Odd Couple, Quantum Leap, and Cheers (everythng that was on rerun late at night, basically).

2. Clarity of speech -- this takes years, no shortcuts here. It took Schwarzenegger decades and he still speaks English pretty much the same way he did in Commando.

3. Idiomatic usage -- avoid it. There's nothing more silly than a Russian who has three English words in his vocabulary: "how much" and "whatchamacallit".

4. Poor knowledge of grammar -- not really a problem. Grammar should be at the bottom of one's list. You can always learn grammar later.

VITOLIER
05-02-2012, 19:25
Most peculiar.

Hugh Laurie: the British accent vs the American - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wYmrg3owTRE)

But when it comes to analyze the financial mess in which we are, I guess the language of the British bankers is the best.

Listen to Bird and Fortune’s - Subprime Crisis.

Bird and Fortune - Subprime Crisis - YouTube
Have fun as long as you have not put your money into Lehman Brothers

Clairbe
06-02-2012, 02:09
Nothing personal Clairbe, but I've poked fun at your request because (intentionally or not) it implies a certain exclusivity to the British.

What I actually implied is that I need both language practice and a kind of cultural exchange. I’m interested in exploring England now because of my personal reasons, and I thought it’s a good idea to make friends with people from this country. It may be said I consider it like a part of preparation for the forthcoming adaptation.
The "exclusivity" to the British that you found out in my post resulted from this circumstance, not because I believe the British are better or they speak right English, what a nonsense to think so. If I was interested in Australia, Italy or France, my post would say I’d like to meet people from these countries. And as I’ve already said it does not imply I’m against making friends with other people - if it happens I’ll be happy. Everybody who really means it is welcome.

what if I posted a thread, "Russian-speaking friends (St. Petersburgh preferably) needed." How would all the Moschvichi feel?

Personally I would feel nothing. I don't know your reasons in that case - maybe you were going to move to St Petersburg or something like this; anyway, I don't find it offensive until you say you don't want Moscowites because all of them are rude and terrible.:)

only, be careful because all the ones I know are rather rapacious buggers.
All? I can hardly believe it.

Nothing personal Jack17, but some of your remarks make impression that you think the American War of Independence is still in full blast now.:)

Jack17
06-02-2012, 02:16
All?

. . . . of the ones I know. That probably says more about the company I keep than anything in general about the British.

Nothing personal Jack 17, but some of your remarks make impression that you think the American War of Independence is still in full blast now.:)

Absolutely correct Clairbe. The treaties of Ghent and Paris resolved nothing - just don't shoot until you see the whites of their beedy British eyes.

yakspeare
06-02-2012, 10:56
It doesn't matter who you speak with: British, American, Australian, South African, or whatever. Your English will never sound like any of those accents, never. The best chance you have is to be able to speak at all, so that people living in those countries could understand you. If your goal is to be able to speak English, then watch a lot of movies (better yet, some long-running TV series, like Star Trek or something), emerge yourlself into it, feel like you are there, and then speak outloud as much as possible. Or find a guy here who will marry you and then knock yourself out speaking all the English you ever wanted :)

Accent is not your priority. You will always have Russian accent, regadless of if you say "T", "D", or "R" for the same letter. How do I know? Because I can speak all those accents and I still sound like a Russian...... Although once in Daytona Beach, FL I was asked at a restaurant if I was British..... they don't see much foreigners over there and they don't really know geography either, so I guess British for them is as foreign as it goes :)

This is incorrect. I have several students with fine American accents from travelling there and many of my students have adopted british tone and are well on the way to acquiring the accent. I have a Russian friend who is also an English teacher, never been to England, but speaks with one of the finest British accents you would ever here. Totally indistinguishable. He made it his passion to learn and only watches movies in English.

When I speak Russian I do it without accent, often deliberately adopting a Kuban accent for the fun of it, and shocking Russians. My vocabulary isn't extensive enough yet-but I note some of my friends who studied in the UK and then came here-know significantly more words than I but retain their British accent. It is all down to listening skills and imitation. Of the English accents I can do a perfect Scot and Irish one as well as home counties and cockney, modifying my words for each. But I can't do a successful liverpool accent or Yorkshire, nor can I do a true American aceent of any type...I can try and get half way there but it won't fool the locals. I am Australian by birth but speak with a soft British accent from living in England for two years as a child.

With Russians I can train them quite easily to remove the "D" "R" from their language, with "Th" and "H" more a challenge-but I am successful.

Also "V" is a curious problem with Russians, due to poor teaching of English in Secondary schools and it comes out as "W" and this takes some work.

I tell my students that it isn't so important to be perfect in all of this, as, particularly for females, most foreign men have gorwn up watching femme fatales seducing James Bond and find the Russian accent very sexy. Still if fluency is what they are after, I train them to firstly obtain a neutral accent and adopt British intontation-thereby being known as foreign but from where is the question to , secondly, introducing a Britsh accent of reasonably refined Englsih.

When I speak Uzbek, I have their accent. Indonesians, i have their accent. Chinese, I am half way there. Arabic, a long way to go yet. Italian, partly there. Russian, accent of either Northern Volga or Kuban as desired( Can't do Moscow.) Not enough exposure to it.

I think your own limitations on accent is simply due to the fact you didn't think it was possible or just not important enough. With my Russian I had trouble with the soft and hard sounds the "L" and the "o" "a" (especially since I learnt in the Northern Volga where they do it differently.) So, I went to university this year and , although deemd intermediate, went into the beginner class to learn the very basics of Russian pronunciation. It fixed it for me.

Francesco2005
06-02-2012, 12:00
I quite agree with you here: as far is accent is concerned, three factors are important 1) motivation and effort, 2) exposure AND learning material 3) individual capability. We can control factor 1 and 2.