PDA

View Full Version : Travel to Belarus (Minsk)

Dincsmail
21-09-2007, 15:06
I have heard from some of my friends who have travelled to Minsk, belarus from Moscow, that there are no passport (and visa) controls during the train trip. So I start to wonder if i can get a train ticket to Minsk and go therewithout a visa.

I sounds logical in a way that visitors from Russia may seem secure to the Belorussian border guards and don't even care to make checks (since they are a loose federation, right?)

Kukuruza the Great
21-09-2007, 16:30
I have heard from some of my friends who have travelled to Minsk, belarus from Moscow, that there are no passport (and visa) controls during the train trip. So I start to wonder if i can get a train ticket to Minsk and go therewithout a visa.

I sounds logical in a way that visitors from Russia may seem secure to the Belorussian border guards and don't even care to make checks (since they are a loose federation, right?)

I had the same experience in Belarus- came and left without anyone checking my passport/visa. While border guards won't make checks, you would still have the looming threat of your illegal status being discovered by police possibly making checks on the street (although when I was there, I noticed very few police) or during an emergency situation. Getting the visa is a pain in the **** but I would say worth it for that peace of mind- at least for the first trip, when you might stick out like a tourist.

SVL
21-09-2007, 18:33
So I start to wonder if i can get a train ticket to Minsk and go therewithout a visa.

Yes, you can. However, there is a small chance that you`ll have to deal with Byelorussian militsia...:)

Sasha
21-09-2007, 20:05
put it this way: you can waste your time and money getting a visa, or make a saving on both counts. in the unlikely event that you are stopped by a policeman, the bribe is going to be a lot less than what you pay for a visa! up to you, but i have never bothered with a visa to Minsk - it probably costs $100 minimum. or you can pay bribes til the cows come home and still have change left over...

Fsigda Svami
13-10-2007, 09:37
You can travel from Moscow by train to Minsk or anywhere in Belarus and the Ukraine without a visa even though a visa is required by law. There is no passport control either on the train or if crossing the border by car, although there is customs control.

But a hotel will not give you a room without a visa and registration. So you can find yourself in Minsk without a place to stay. That's a little problem ...

Of course, you could take the train to Minksk and then take a car to the airport, where you can get a visa. But that's 40 km out of the city.

SVL
13-10-2007, 19:46
There are private hotels, apartments and rooms that only care about USD/Euro/Roubles:)

BTW, state-owned hotels here suck anyways:)

bbee
28-12-2007, 19:53
hi, do you know any websites to find a place to stay for 3 months in gomel or vitebsk? thanks

sashadidi
16-02-2008, 06:51
may 2005 went on the train arrived friday "forgot to register" left back to moscow Monday. no checks nobody interested, athough I believe I would have had to apply on monday for a visa if I stayed