PDA

View Full Version : New Laptop - advice needed

Andy B
21-09-2007, 09:32
Hi Folks,

I need to by a new laptop for the missus. Was going to wait 'till I get back to Asia but she needs a Russian keyboard so will get one here.

Where would the best place be to get one and does anybody have any recommendations to which make/model?

Like I said, she doesn't want/need anything special, all she will be doing is email/internet (WIFI is essential) and word processing (basically), good battery life would also be useful.

I have never considered a Mac, so don't know how prices compare... any ideas?

Any suggestions welcome,

Andy

21-09-2007, 10:05
I use a fujitsu-siemens "lifebook" P7010, really happy of it. Small, powerfull, wifi of course, very good keyboard (I type quickly and it is very convenient). Battery life: About 6 hours when using wifi. I purchased it about $2400 a year ago, it should be cheaper now. I bought it at Svaelovski and negiciated a 15% bargain (but it took an hour!!!)

Test can be found here (http://www.thg.ru/mobile/20040707/)

SVL
21-09-2007, 18:47
Hi Folks,

I need to by a new laptop for the missus. Was going to wait 'till I get back to Asia but she needs a Russian keyboard so will get one here.

Where would the best place be to get one and does anybody have any recommendations to which make/model?

Andy

Any cheap ASUS model will do the job, just let her choose the design she likes:)
As for the place - well, try fcenter.ru, for example (no, I don`t work for them).
p.s. If she needs to carry this notebook with her, stick to >2kg models, really makes a difference in a long run. If she doesn`t - 15.4 inch models are typically the most cost effective choice. Those are around 3kg typically.

p.p.s. an example of such a 15.4 inch model
Прайс-лист | Товары, услуги | Ф-Центр (http://www.fcenter.ru/products.shtml?eshop/act=h:a:0:35:26:a:322:0:a:1:30:r:1:1&oper=63786::::)
an example of a cheap 12 inch model (low weight), notice that you need to add 1 gb RAM for this one
Прайс-лист | Товары, услуги | Ф-Центр (http://www.fcenter.ru/products.shtml?eshop/act=h:a:0:35:26:a:321:0:a:1:30:r:1:1&oper=62375::::)

21-09-2007, 19:23
A good place to buy also is http:// pro.sunrise.ru
Sunrise has a big place near Savelovski market, about 100 computers where you select what you want, then you go to pay and wait 10/15 minutes to get it. A "cash and carry", in fact. So you must already decide what you want, before going there to buy it. Prices are generally 10% under any shop.

Fantastika
21-09-2007, 21:20
Hi Folks,

Andy

If the keyboard is your concern, just buy an additional Russian keyboard ($3). You can probably save a lot by buying it (the laptop) in Asia or US. It may be uncomfortable to tote it around (the extra keyboard) but I always take it with me because my fingers are more comfortable on the extended keyboard than on the narrow keys of the laptop.

Andy B
22-09-2007, 09:55
Guys, thanks for all the advice.

We looked at some ASUS models last night, but our concern was getting spare bits if anything broke. I have an old Dell and when it has (very rarely) gone wrong before, it was very easy to get replacement parts (batter/charger etc.).

In the end we settled for a cheap(ish) Toshiba model from Bely Veter. It's more than enough for her needs and not too heavy for her (2.7kg).

Now that I am jealous for her new toy, I guess I will be upgrading soon (and DO want one with all the bells and whistles)!

Cheers again,

Andy

ezik
24-09-2007, 12:58
Guys, thanks for all the advice.

We looked at some ASUS models last night, but our concern was getting spare bits if anything broke. I have an old Dell and when it has (very rarely) gone wrong before, it was very easy to get replacement parts (batter/charger etc.).

In the end we settled for a cheap(ish) Toshiba model from Bely Veter. It's more than enough for her needs and not too heavy for her (2.7kg).

Now that I am jealous for her new toy, I guess I will be upgrading soon (and DO want one with all the bells and whistles)!

Cheers again,

Andy

Andy, EXACTLY the same casus here at ezik's residence. Care to share what type of Toshiba you bought?

Andy B
24-09-2007, 13:21
It was a Toshiba Satellite L40. Nothing too fancy but she's happy with it!